Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group discussion

ABOUT BOOKS AND READING > What are U reading these days? (Part Four) (begun 2/18/09)

Comments (showing 201-207 of 207) (207 new)    post a comment »
1 2 3 5 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 201: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12973 comments Nina wrote: "I feel the same way about being on a boat/it is truly the escape mode as you are literally not on land so your troubles there are something you can do nothing about..Escape, yes. Somehow I felt th..."

I have a framed picture of a lighthouse and underneath it says: "Cares are left at the water's edge." When I saw that quote, I had to buy the picture. Those few words say it all.

message 202: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12973 comments About telephone calls, yes, sometimes they are an intrusion. I'm usually more comfortable with e-mail. E-mail allows me time to think about the message and then I can deal with it when time allows. I hate being interrupted by a telephone... unless it's someone I enjoy hearing from. I will pick up the phone to call someone only if it's absolutely necessary.

message 203: by Nina (last edited Apr 02, 2009 12:43PM) (new)

Nina | 3214 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Nina wrote: "Here is a quote from our Monday morning edition:
"To the world you many be one person, but to one person you many be the world." Sorry but they didn't print the author but isn't it a ..."
I just now finished,"Called Out of Darkness," and found it fascintating. It might appeal more to someone who had attended Catholic schools, Yet I only attended them for less than half my education and I don't remember some of the things she referred or else I was never told some of those things. Yet, it was extremely well written;loved the New Orleans setting. And it was interesting how she managed to go back to her faith. She did this with the blessing of her husband and they were married in the church..I didn't feel his death had anything to do with her leaving atheism. Although, she was a difficult person to understand I felt her life provided pondering God's existance. I would suggest it to readers interested in Character and of course, People of any faith..nina

message 204: by Joy H., Group Founder (last edited Apr 03, 2009 12:18AM) (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12973 comments Nina wrote: "I just now finished,"Called Out of Darkness"...
... I would suggest it to readers interested in Character and of course, People of any faith"

Nina, thanks for the recommendation to Anne Rice's _Called Out of Darkness A Spiritual Confession_. It's always interesting to ponder the existence of God.

message 205: by Nina (new)

Nina | 3214 comments Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Nina wrote: "I feel the same way about being on a boat/it is truly the escape mode as you are literally not on land so your troubles there are something you can do nothing about..Escape, yes. Some..."

Joy H. (of Glens Falls) wrote: "Nina wrote: "I feel the same way about being on a boat/it is truly the escape mode as you are literally not on land so your troubles there are something you can do nothing about..Escape, yes. Some..."That is a good quote. You do leave your "land" worries at home but I remember lots of "cares" about getting back to it when we had stormy weather...nina

message 206: by Nina (new)

Nina | 3214 comments One last comment about our crazy weather here in KS. The mowers are now cutting our long green grass that was covered with five inches of snow last week..nina

message 207: by Joy H., Group Founder (new)

Joy H. (JoyofGlensFalls) | 12973 comments Nina wrote: "One last comment about our crazy weather here in KS. The mowers are now cutting our long green grass that was covered with five inches of snow last week..nina"

LOL - How ironical!

As for the dangers of bad weather while boating, I know what you mean. These days I try to go boating only in good weather. Our "adventure-days" on wild waters are over... I hope! LOL

1 2 3 5 next »

Glens Falls (NY) Online Book Discussion Group

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Origin: The True Story of Wolverine (other topics)
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao (other topics)
A Mercy (other topics)
Nobody's Fool (other topics)
Bridge of Sighs (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Junot Díaz (other topics)
Toni Morrison (other topics)
Richard Russo (other topics)
Anne Perry (other topics)
J.R.R. Tolkien (other topics)
More...