The Hobbit (Middle-Earth Universe) The Hobbit discussion

Will you read the book before watching the movie?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 130) (130 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

I have already read The Hobbit, but it has been some time since I read it last, and I like it, so I'll probably read it again before watching the movie.
I have high hopes for the movie, which will be in theaters this December, but nothing beats a good book.

Samuel S.B. I too have read this book and I really loved it. From what I have seen of the trailer, I think the movie will not disppoint and will do justice to this great work.

I also agree with you that however much people all think movies a great; nothing and I mean nothing beats a rreally good book.

Walter Yea I've read book before the film :)
No idea how they can turn that small book into 3 films though!!!!??

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Oct 29, 2012 02:31PM) (new)

I hear the filmmakers will be pulling in material from the Silmarillion as well, so that would make for a longer story. I haven't read that yet, but I plan to.

Tricia Drammeh I've read it a couple of times, but it's been a while. Might have to read it again.

Walter Not read that either Verity

Chris Verity wrote: "I hear the filmmakers will be pulling in material from the Silmarillion as well, so that would make for a longer story. I haven't read that yet, but I plan to."

Apparently not, as they don't have the film rights to The Silmarillion, but they do have the rights for LOTR, and that includes more material from the Appendices.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Chris wrote: "Verity wrote: "I hear the filmmakers will be pulling in material from the Silmarillion as well, so that would make for a longer story. I haven't read that yet, but I plan to."

Apparently not, as t..."

Excellent! Now I won't have to try read the not very readable Simalrillion before December. The appendices I have read.

message 9: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Skipper Just finished the book a week a go . Can not wait for the movie

message 10: by Pam (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pam Skipper Verity wrote: "Chris wrote: "Verity wrote: "I hear the filmmakers will be pulling in material from the Silmarillion as well, so that would make for a longer story. I haven't read that yet, but I plan to."

Appare..."

I have not heard that but would explain why they are making it into three parts. Guess i better get out the Simarillion.

Wendy Definitely! I need a refresher; it's been a while since I read it.

Alexis Certainly! I'm in the process of reading it now! What do you guys think of the casting? I'm guessing everybody on here has seen/read Lord of the Rings?

Wendy Alexis wrote: "Certainly! I'm in the process of reading it now! What do you guys think of the casting? I'm guessing everybody on here has seen/read Lord of the Rings?"

I'm a little leery of Martin Freeman as Bilbo, but I'm willing to give him a chance. Also, this 'Tauriel' character is unnecessary and I'm extremely skeptical of her, regardless of Evangeline Lilly's skill.

Kevin Brew It's been many years (30+) since I read the book. Tried to get my son into it reading to him at bedtime, but I think I'll have to re-read it on my own. Maybe when he's older.

I loved the LOTR films, was afraid it wouldn't live up to the potential, so I'm really looking forward to The Hobbit trilogy. The images and trailers that have been coming out look visually brilliant.

message 15: by CJ (new) - rated it 5 stars

CJ Yep I finished reading it just recently. It was one of the reasons I read the book, so it would be on time before seeing the film versions. The other reason I read it was that I never read a Tolkien book before. It was very good.

And I am sure this book is better than the movie will be...

Harriett I,ll definitely be reading the hobbit again before the film comes outs,,I love comparing films to the books..So the Silmarillion,I have never read it,do you think it would be wise to read it as well, especially if some of it is gonna be in the movie

Mallory I loved this book, and am really excited for the movie. I also love Martin Freeman, so I'm glad they casted him as Bilbo.

message 18: by Danielle (last edited Oct 30, 2012 05:50PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle H. Walter wrote: "Yea I've read book before the film :)
No idea how they can turn that small book into 3 films though!!!!??"

Yeah I've read it.
AND
Their Adding other elements from Tolkien's other books, and p.s. who CARES! Lord of the Rings is one of the best fricken movies ever made! I doubt they'll screw up now.

Gabby Definitely will re-read this before movie!

Heather I went to a Christian school all my life. Tolkein and Lewis were the only approved Sci-fi writers until Peretti arrived on the scene. We were read The Hobbit in the 1st grade. The Similliarion was required reading in 9th. Of course, we discussed the Christian allegories. So nice to enjoy them for once. So, no, I will not be re-reading them. I want to see Jackson's take. He such a good job on The Lord of the Ring.

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ...Céline... Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ I've read the Hobbit six times. I might re-read it before I watch the movie... But I know it so well I can recite the riddles and the translation of the ring. It is definately one of my all time favorite books EVER. But I didn't know there was a Christain allegory. I'm not religious so I guess I just didn't realize...?

Horrorterror YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!! YES YES YES YES YES!!!

message 23: by Sheri (new)

Sheri (Tangled Up In Books) I read it back in high school but that was so long ago that I most likely will brush it off and read it before watching the movie. I always try to read books before seeing the movie version. Though for once I'm not worried about the film version getting ruined because Peter Jackson did amazing with LotR and I can't wait to see what he's done with the Hobbit!!

David Bernstein I always like to read the book before the movie, but then the movie always lacks something. What did I expect!

Caroline Of all of Tolkien's books, this is my favorite. I've probably read it at least half a dozen times. When they announced they were making it into a movie, I read it right away. I may even read it again right before it comes out. It only takes a day or two, anyway.

message 26: by CASI (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black Well what can I say, I'm glad I've finished reading it already. The scenes are still fresh coz I just read it this month without even knowing that there would be a movie coming out. This book is really good, I just regret that I read LOTR first before this one. But anyways, it is always better to read the book before seeing it in a moving picture, therefore we will understand the characters first before we see them in action. :)

message 27: by Teracia (last edited Oct 31, 2012 07:33AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Teracia I will absolutely read the book before the movie. I like to experience what the author intended before the people get confused and leave parts out of the movies. Fortunately, i have read everything Jr Tolken since i was 10 or so.I will re-read before watching anything new in movie style.

message 28: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 01, 2012 05:35PM) (new)

Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ...Céline... Ƹ̴Ӂ̴Ʒ ☯The Bean☯ wrote: "I've read the Hobbit six times. I might re-read it before I watch the movie... But I know it so well I can recite the riddles and the translation of the ring. It is definately one of my all time fa..."

I don't know if Tolkien was as allegory conscious as, C. S. Lewis, for example. But he was a devout Catholic and his faith showed in his writing. And, I might venture to say, any time someone adds something good to their story – courage, mercy, sacrifice, truth, beauty – they are using “religious” things, even if they don't realize it. These elements come, untimely, from God, the source of anything good. So, yes, I would say Tolkien included elements of his faith in his work, if not allegory.

Here is a quote from Humphrey Carpenter's biography of Tolkien, the part about truths being reflected in myth says what I was saying, more or less, but more eloquently.

“We have come from God (continued Tolkien), and inevitably the myths woven by us, though they contain error, will also reflect a splintered fragment of the true light, the eternal truth that is with God. . . .Our myths may be misguided, but they steer, however, shakily towards the true harbor . . . In Expounding on the inherent truth of mythology, Tolkien had laid bare the centre of his philosophy as a writer, the creed that is at the heart of The Simarillion.”

By the way, I highly recommend the biography, it's quite informative, a must-read for any fan of Tolkien!

Sarah Scott was raised on the hobbit. who wouldn't read it?!

message 30: by Shawna (last edited Nov 02, 2012 07:40AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Shawna Duguay Normally, I HAVE to read the book before I watch a movie based on it...it feels like blasphemy not to...but, I think this is going to be the only exception. The only reason is that I saw the Lord of the Rings movies before I read the books and I loved them so much that I've been entirely obsessed with the series ever since that day. I do love the books now, but it was really the first movie that grabbed me. I started reading The Hobbit a long time ago, but never finished for whatever reason and I was GOING to read it before the movie came out, but then I decided to stay true to my little tradition. I'm hoping to re-capture that fascination and wonder that enveloped me when I first saw the Fellowship of the Rings.

Sarah Scott another one lost to the dark side *sob* ;D well i'll tell you my dirty little secret: i never read lotr until after i saw all the extended movies. i was just a little kid when i saw them. but my dad had read me the hobbit and i had read it again on my own. and then twice more-no wait, three times since i heard the movie was coming out. that sounds over the top, but i was in a book club that had the hobbit on the list and then a lotr book club, so i kinda had to.

Sarah Scott Teracia wrote: "I will absolutely read the book before the movie. I like to experience what the author intended before the people get confused and leave parts out of the movies. Fortunately, i have read everythin..."

amen to that...

message 33: by Pat (new) - rated it 5 stars

Pat I've already read the book. Probably won't bother seeing the movie(s). At least until they're all nicely boxed up in a DVD set.

message 34: by CASI (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black Sarah wrote: "another one lost to the dark side *sob* ;D well i'll tell you my dirty little secret: i never read lotr until after i saw all the extended movies. i was just a little kid when i saw them. but my da..."

I'll tell you my dirty little secret, and I want this to be just between the two of us, ok? lol. Well, I've read LOTR, but the first and second one only. I am currently reading the third one though. The secret there is that. . . I haven't seen the movie yet!! This is reaaally embarrassing. You think I have to see the movie right away? Well yeah right I really have to, before this secret explodes! :D and btw I have read The Hobbit last month, then I knew about the movie just last Wednesday. *sillyme

message 35: by John (new) - rated it 5 stars

John Ashtone Read it years ago, brilliant from beginning to end.

To add to Verity's posting (28), he would be very aware of allegory as he was of course Professor of Anglo Saxon and they were big on allegory, along with riddles (The Exeter Book is full of Anglo Saxon riddles)and they were into giving swords names.

In fact Penguin used Tolkein's translation of Beowulf in their Classics library for many years, and Beowulf is given a swaord called Hrunting, by the King's jester as a gift.

I have wondered if they are going to use Tom Bombadil in the Hobbit film, which was left out of LOTR's, but is they are using the Silmarillion, I hope it is better than the Book, a page 19 job if ever there was.

I opened my 1st edition hardback Silmarillion for the first time since I bought it new, there was the book mark page 19, I had always promised i would try reading it again but had never got around to it.

Some books are not worth the effort.

Sarah Scott Casi wrote: "Sarah wrote: "another one lost to the dark side *sob* ;D well i'll tell you my dirty little secret: i never read lotr until after i saw all the extended movies. i was just a little kid when i saw t..."

just make sure you see the extended version! we've got the beautiful box sets at home. i've never even seen the movie with out extended parts, but i checked the scene list and it's so sad to know what others have missed.

Sarah Scott Pat wrote: "I've already read the book. Probably won't bother seeing the movie(s). At least until they're all nicely boxed up in a DVD set."

that is the one downside of seeing it in the theatre. you know in the back of your mind that you're not seeing Peter Jackson's full vision and you're going to have to wait forever to know what you've missed. and you can't go to the theatre in pajamas. ;D

message 38: by CASI (new) - rated it 5 stars

CASI Black Sarah wrote: "Casi wrote: "Sarah wrote: "another one lost to the dark side *sob* ;D well i'll tell you my dirty little secret: i never read lotr until after i saw all the extended movies. i was just a little kid..."

yeah, I will just finish the book and then I'll have a movie marathon at home. I'm gonna watch it, I know I have to.XD

message 39: by Fawn (new) - rated it 4 stars

Fawn I read the Hobbit many years ago. I have Silmarillion on audio I don't think I ever got all the way through that. So Maybe I will Listen to that before the movie comes out and if there is time maybe read the Hobbit again.

message 40: by Deb (new) - rated it 5 stars

Deb The Hobbit is such a joy. Never tire of reading it again and again. There are not many books that I enjoy reading over, and this is one of them.

message 41: by Keri (last edited Nov 03, 2012 06:37AM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Keri I have read The Hobbit a few times, to be honest it is my least favorite of Tolkien books. I am looking forward to the movie but I won't re-read it before I see the movie because I don't want the movie to be ruined. I read Harry Potter Order of the Phoenix and Half Blood Prince right before the each movie came out and it just ruined the movies for me because all that was changed and left out was in the forefront of my mind. I would just rather enjoy the movie for what it is than be comparing it to the book the whole time I am watching it.

*Just a side note since I saw a few posts in the beginning of this discussion referring to The Silmarillion info being in The Hobbit movies. ONLY info from LOTR, its appendices and The Hobbit can be used in movies. Tolkien only sold the rights to Hobbit and LOTR. The Sil wasn't even published until after his death and Tolkien's children, especially Christopher is highly opposed to the movies. He would never sell the film right to it and therefore Jackson can use none of Sil exclusive material.

Lindsay I don't think I'll reread it before seeing the film.

I want to see the film for entertainment's sake, so I'm afraid I'll work up my expectations and get caught up in the details.

Andrea You should always read the book first,its always better, and you get more background info that is always missing in the movie.

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

Keri wrote: "I have read The Hobbit a few times, to be honest it is my least favorite of Tolkien books. I am looking forward to the movie but I won't re-read it before I see the movie because I don't want the ..."

Thank you for explaining the role of other books in in The Hobbit movie.

But I wonder, why Christopher Tolkien is opposed to the idea of film adaptation? I thought the Lord of The Rings movies were splendid.

message 45: by Lynx (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lynx I'm defentntally going to re-read this before I see the movie. I CAN'T WAIT!!!!

message 46: by Keri (new) - rated it 3 stars

Keri Verity wrote: Thank you for explaining the role of other books in in The Hobbit movie.But I wonder, why Christopher Tolkien is opposed to the idea of film adaptation?

He feels that the movies gutted the story and that the heart of the book is lost. There was also much trouble about the Tolkien Estate not getting their due from the profits of the films. The Hobbit movies were delayed for years as a result and are only being made now because a settlement was reached between Christopher and New Line.

Jason I read it many years ago when I was probably too young to really understand everything going on. So, I re-read it over the summer because I've found that once you see a movie you can never read the book afterwards without being unduly influenced by it. I am so glad I read it again; it is just as magical and great as the hype says it is.

message 48: by Zora (new) - rated it 3 stars

Zora I won't see the movie

Thomas I will definitely re-read this classic. I believe it will be the 4th or 5th reading. Always have to go back to the source before viewing any interpretation.

Catherine Read it, hated it, so no. Probably not.

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Hobbit (other topics)