The Glass Castle The Glass Castle discussion

Rex Walls reaction to the book

Comments (showing 1-14 of 14) (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Iven (new)

Iven Esha I red the book and I loved it..
I heard that all the family members red this book expect Rex walls( the father, because he died
I wanted to know. If Rex walls was alive and red this book, how would he react to it..?
Thank you

Heather-Lea From his personality in the book, I would say he'd have one of two reactions (and then the other soon afterwards). He'd either be in an uproar about what trash it was and how unfair... blah, blah, blah. Or he'd have it roll off his back, have a good laugh at Jeanette's expense (and maybe hint at pride that she published a book at all), then they'd find themselves in the middle of some crazy activity.
I also think that he would keep rather hidden that it would affect him deeply, though changing the way he did things I would seriously doubt.

message 3: by Lisa (last edited Nov 03, 2012 09:07PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lisa I think it would play into the idea of disappointment and how he truly let his kids and family down. If you remember every time someone made mention of his faults he would go off the deep end either by drinking or that whole detox scene. I don't think he was someone whoever wanted to take a long hard look at himself and reflect so he would either deny some of this happened because it makes him look like a dead beat or he would love the attention and try to profit from it.

Joclyn Rex didn't have the ability to love anyone other then himself. Unfortunately, I believe this book would'nt make a deference in his life.

Lisa Pure Narcissist

Judi Mccracken I think he would see the book as his biography, not a story of a strange family life; Not a criticism, but an observation his daughter makes as his biography. He really liked himself, and thought he did a great job raising his family. At least he loved all of them.

~*Trema Renae*~ Lisa wrote: "I think it would play into the idea of disappointment and how he truly let his kids and family down. If you remember every time someone made mention of his faults he would go off the deep end eithe..."

My thoughts exactly! You nailed it!

Sherry Winters I think he would feel very sad at first hearing how his daughter viewed him, but he would ultimately turn it back on her. That is how a man like Rex survives still believing that things were not really that bad.

Salem Patterson There would be a good old binge of drinking probably followed by some laughs and then in the end some sorrow. But after that he would brush it off and act like it never happened and go on with his life as he had been.

message 10: by Yoyo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Yoyo I don't think deep down Rex Walls likes himself. He knows he is something but he doesn't like what he's doing for his family. He knows he is a loser but he cannot admit it. He has tried though but not everyone fights their demons and wins. He had a sad life. Time usually passes more quickly than people think and before they realize they have already missed something. Children grow up so fast before their parents can fix themselves

Rosella I agree with yoyo. I'm not sure why so many of the posters here seem to think he was so genuinely full of himself. In my opinion, he was a man with serious addressed issues who spent most of his life living in poverty, but in his own way he tried his best to take care of and love his family.

Carrie I think it would be somewhat painful for him. He was smart enough to realize he failed on many levels as a parent. I think he'd be sad, looking back at himself. I also think he'd be angry. He seemed very prideful in nature, false pride. Deep down though, he would be proud of his daughter.

Cathy The book Half Broke Horses, which is the precursor to The Glass Castle, shows early on how Rosemary was always "off" and Rex was just trouble waiting to happen. Not a good combo, even though their kids miraculously turned out successful.

Chris Eirschele Iven wrote: "I red the book and I loved it..
I heard that all the family members red this book expect Rex walls( the father, because he died
I wanted to know. If Rex walls was alive and red this book, how wou..."

In "red the book" red is read.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Glass Castle (other topics)