The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby question

Which is your favorite Fitzgerald novel, and why?
Ryan Ryan Oct 24, 2012 05:06PM
Hey everyone! I read most of Fitgerald's novels and I'd like to reread them...I don't think I got much out of it the first time...which would you recommend starting with, and why?

Thanks! :)

GREAT GATSBY.....40 years between readings here..much better and more undrstanddable now.

I love The Great Gatsby. Didn't like it when i read it in high school, but each time I read it again, I end up liking it more.

Ana This Side of Paradise. It covers a whole era in my life and it made me want to write too.
Mar 05, 2013 06:54AM
Cynthia Wonderful Ana! What kind of writing do you do?
Mar 07, 2013 02:32PM

Gatsby..hands down

I read "This Side of Paradise" at the right moment, when I was in college and I loved it. The ending was perfect. I also loved "The Beautiful and Damned," despite what they say about it. It's very evocative and I liked the use of the play format throughout the book.

'Tender is the Night' ...for certain.

Fitzgerald is a great author, definitely top 5. I would start with Tender is the Night, then Beautiful and Damned, then The Great Gatsby. Very different writing styles and I feel this is a great progression through his works. All check out his short stories!:)

Charlotte (last edited Feb 26, 2013 05:52AM ) Feb 23, 2013 12:41PM   0 votes
For me it's "The Cruise of the Rolling Junk", hands down. It is compared to Jerome K. Jerome's "Three Men in a Boat", possibly the best book ever!

I loved the GREAT GATSBY and I loathed The Beautiful and Damned. I can't wait untill THE GREAT GATSBY MOVIE IS RELEASED IN THEATERS!

The Great Gatsby is my favorite book by Fitzgerald as it brings the magic and mystery of time brimming with people on the edge of discovery...leaving us hanging on to each word as though we were there with them.

Tender is the Night is one of the best books I have ever read.

My favorite book by F. Scott Fitzgerald would be The Great Gatsby because it contains a view into what life would have been like in the 1920's. I enjoy reading about history and the past. I think this is why I enjoyed reading this book and eventually finished it. It is my favorite by Fitzgerald so far.

My favorite is Tender is the Night, followed by Gatsby, and The Beautiful and Damned in the third place.
I've also read This Side of Paradise but it's his first novel so it has a lot of flaws.

Julia (last edited Oct 26, 2012 04:20AM ) Oct 26, 2012 04:20AM   0 votes
Tender is the night is probably my favourite but I love The Great Gatsby. I just loved the storyline in Tender is the Night. Very interesting and enjoyable to read. Try the Great Gatsby again because it is shorter and really easy to read.

For me it's The Great Gatsby and i read this over and over. I would also say Tender is the Night and This Side of Paridise need more than one read. Then again it took me two reads of The Beautiful and the Damed to actually understand where Fitzgerald was coming from.

I love Fitzgerald and re-read all his works and take away something new after each read.

Tender Is The Night is my favorite. Also liked The Great Gatsby.

I agree with This girl loves books, Tender is the night is Fitgerald's best novel because it has more depth to the story. The first time I read The Great Gatsby however I did find myself thinking that in place it was the most beautiful prose is ever read and for that reason I love the book.
Julian McLaren-Ross would be the 'next best' for sheer writing beauty in Of love and hunger.

I think his two best are The Great Gatsby and Tender is the Night. I personally prefer TGG, mostly because I think that Fitzgerald gets weaker when his works get longer (personal opinion). His writing is really beautiful, but even in TitN there are extended periods where the story just languishes around itself and doesn't progress at all. Plus, I find his characters very unsympathetic so listening to their trite plaints gets old rather quickly. I felt like TGG was perfect, I wouldn't add or remove a single sentence (or word even).

I've only read two, but I prefer this over This Side of Paradise. I felt this was more focused plot-wise and the supporting characters were much more interesting.

My personal favorite is This Side of Paradise, with Tender is the Night a close, close second.

The Great Gatsby is one of the finest novels ever written -- American or not. It's a masterpiece. Fitzgerald had a difficult time topping himself.

I was in high school when I started reading Fitzgerald,(37 years ago) and I think that Gatsby, and Tender is the Night are my favorites. If I had to choose between the two, it would be Tender is the Night.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Great Gatsby (other topics)