The Next Best Book Club discussion

Personal Reading Goals > Becky's Owned-to-read challenge *Completed* :D

Comments (showing 1-50 of 356) (356 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

message 1: by Becky (last edited Mar 13, 2009 07:25AM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Right... So I'm not buying any new books until I've read the ones I already own (except incomplete series books, which account for 14 books below - marked with an *), or until 2010, whichever comes first.

Crossed off books are read.
Underlined books are accounted for in another challenge.
Bold are currently reading.

Heres the full list:

1. 100 Great Fantasy Short, Short Stories
2. The 120 Days of Sodom and Other Writings
3. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea
4. The Age of Innocence
5. The Alchemist's Daughter: A Novel
6. American Gods
7. The Amityville Horror
*8. The Amulet of Samarkand
9. The Andromeda Strain
10. Angela's Ashes
*11. Artemis Fowl: The Lost Colony
12. The Bachman Books : Four Early Novels by Richard Bachman
13. Beloved
*14. Blackwood Farm
15. Bleak House
*16. Blue is for Nightmares
*17. The Book of Shadows
18. The Brothers Karamazov
19. Catch-22
20. The Chamber
21. The Client
22. The Count of Monte Cristo
23. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time
24. The Dante Club: A Novel
25. Death Be Not Proud
26. The Dogs of Babel
27. Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America
28. Emma
29. Everest is Hollow
30. Everything's Eventual: 14 Dark Tales
*31. The Eyre Affair
32. Fall on Your Knees
33. A Farewell to Arms
34. Fatal Cure
35. Foucault's Pendulum
36. The Fountainhead
37. Girl with a Pearl Earring
*38. The Golem's Eye
39. Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel
40. Hell House
41. His Dark Materials Omnibus
42. Howard's End
43. The Hunchback of Notre-Dame
44. I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings
45. The Idiot
46. Imajica
47. Inferno
48. Jonathan Strange & Mr. Norrell
49. Jurassic Park
50. The King of Torts
51. The Kite Runner
52. Labyrinth (Audiobook)
53. Lady Susan, The Watsons, Sanditon
54. Land Under England
55. The Last Juror
*56. The Lightning Thief (Percy Jackson)
57. Lisey's Story
58. A Little Princess
59. Lorna Doone
*60. Lost in a Good Book
61. Madame Bovary
62. Magic Terror
63. Middlemarch
64. Middlesex
65. Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil
66. My Antonia
67. Mystery
68. Neverwhere
*69. New Moon
70. Northanger Abbey
71. The Odyssey
72. Oryx and Crake
73. Othello
74. Paradise Lost and Paradise Regained
75. The Partner
76. The Pelican Brief
77. The Picture of Dorian Gray
78. The Plague
79. The Princess Bride
80. The Reader
81. Rebecca
82. Roots
83. The Runaway Jury
84. The Scarlet Pimpernel
85. The Screwtape Letters
*86. The Sea of Monsters (Percy Jackson)
87. A Separate Peace
88. The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
89. To Reign In Hell
90. Showdown
91. Solaris
92. The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde and Other Stories
93. The Tales of Beedle the Bard
94. The Teeth of the Tiger
95. Tess of the D'Urbervilles
96. The Complete Works of Shakespeare
97. Thinner
98. Tigana
*99. The Titan's Curse (Percy Jackson)
100. A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
*101. Twilight
102. Uncle Tom's Cabin
103. Vital Signs
104. Wastelands: Stories of the Apocalypse
105. Water For Elephants
106. What Dreams May Come
107. Where The Heart Is
*108. White Is for Magic
109. The Wind in the Willows
110. The Wonderful Wizard of Oz
111. The Woman in White
112. World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War
113. Year of Wonders

message 2: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) January:

Read: 12
Left To Read: 100
Total Pages Read: 4148

12) 01/31/09- 79. The Reader (218 pages)
11) 01/28/09- 9. The Andromeda Strain (327 pages)
10) 01/26/09- 106. Where The Heart Is (358 pages)
09) 01/23/09- 82. The Runaway Jury (550 pages)
08) 01/21/09- 39. Heart-Shaped Box: A Novel (354 pages)
07) 01/18/09- 23. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-time (226 pages)
06) 01/17/09- 27. Don't Eat This Book: Fast Food and the Supersizing of America (284 pages)
05) 01/15/09- 22. The Count of Monte Cristo (1276 pages)
04) 01/04/09- 90. Solaris (204 pages)
03) 01/02/09- 37. Girl with a Pearl Earring (240 pages)
02) 01/01/09- 92. The Tales of Beedle the Bard (111 pages)
---
01) 12/31/08- 41. His Dark Materials Omnibus

message 3: by Becky (last edited Feb 20, 2009 05:55PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) February

Read: 18
Left To Read: 94
Total Pages Read: 6688

18) 02/20/09- 51. The Kite Runner (371 pgs)
17) 02/17/09- 64. Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil (388 pgs)
16) 02/14/09- 49. Jurassic Park (399 pgs)
15) 02/13/09- 13. Beloved (324 pgs)
14) 02/08/09- 50. The King of Torts (470 pgs)
13) 02/04/09- 6. American Gods (588 pgs)

message 4: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I'd like to do the list thing... can't be bothered to type out the whole 278 of them less there's an easier way>

message 5: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I love listing! :) Is your To-Be-Read shelf the ones you own and need to read? If you want, I will make the list for you...

message 6: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Lol your funny! I am just making it now actually, I really want one! It's 11 pages long this list so far.

message 7: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) But... I was being serious! I love listing.

...You should see my movie list. It's beautiful. It's in Excel, with tabs and columns and release years. *sigh*

I should do a similar book list. :)

message 8: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Wow.... this is intense! Good luck with all of it, Becky!

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Thanks... I hope I can do it!

message 10: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Becky wrote: "But... I was being serious! I love listing.

...You should see my movie list. It's beautiful. It's in Excel, with tabs and columns and release years. *sigh*

I should do a similar book list. ..."

I got my books in Excel too... and now that tbr list. I only started in January though counting my read books and pages per day.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments If I can recommend three to move to the top of your TBR list:

Angela's Ashes
The Picture of Dorian Gray
Middlesex

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3505 comments I liked or loved quite a few on your list, but don't want to muddy the waters. I am sooooo impressed with this listing you guys do! I love to do and grocery lists, but this...amaztastic!!!!

You know I wish you luck, right?

message 13: by Fiona (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) I love looking at my list. I have it in my excel spreadsheet now. All 278 of them and it is so pretty. I'm tempted to colour code but I don't think I shall.

message 14: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Jessica,
I will read The Picture of Dorian Gray for my Classic read in March.
I am planning on reading the other two very soon as well. :)

message 15: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Yes I do Kandice! Thank you! :)

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 1000 comments Becky wrote: "Jessica,
I will read The Picture of Dorian Gray for my Classic read in March.
I am ..."

Great! :)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) If I was deserving of a vote, I would recommend The Woman in White for a classic soon (I mean, I guess you'll read it this year anyway)...but still, one of my fave books ever!

message 18: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Hmm... Maybe in April?

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) cool, I'm patient! haha, I don't actually know anyone else that has read it I don't think.

message 20: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I'd read it sooner, but I'm doing this goal.

Gotta stick to my goals you know! :)

message 21: by Vicki (new)

Vicki Hmm so I wrote something on this thread about American Gods, or at least I thought I did, but I don't see it. I have it but need to read it. What did you think? I seem to be hit or miss with Gaiman because I liked Neverwhere, but couldn't get into Stardust.

message 22: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Stardust seems to be the least favorite of Gaiman's books... It seems that everywhere he's mentioned, people didn't like that one! I haven't read it, so I can't compare, but I did really like American Gods. I'd highly recommend it if you like mythology and legends!

Be prepared though, some of the references aren't clear until the end, and then maybe only on re-reads. I love books that allow you to discover new things every time you read it!

Did you read my review?

message 23: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3505 comments I have to say, Becky, you take your book reviews seriously! I feel so lazy after reading them. Mine usually consist of "it was good" or "it was slow" and yours are analasises (sp?)!!!! I have started specifically looking for yours on books I am interested in, or considering.

message 24: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Heh, if you think that my reviews are analytical, you should see my friend Shannon's! She's one of the mods of the Sci-Fi and Fantasy group, you should check some of them out. She puts me to shame!

message 25: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Thank you, too by the way! :)

message 26: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3505 comments I will look at hers. I am always afraid I'll come off sounding dumb or pompous, so I just give a small opinion. In my head, though...I am long winded.
You're very welcome.

message 27: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I just write what I think. I use the private notes section a lot, and I jot down thoughts as they pop into my head.

I don't really put a ton of thought into them, and I rarely expect anyone to read them, so I am surprised when I get comments and votes. They always make my day when I see those!

message 28: by Becky (last edited Feb 18, 2009 12:31AM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Just finished: Midnight In The Garden Of Good And Evil (388 pgs)
Now starting: The Kite Runner

message 29: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) | 463 comments This is a GREAT idea ... read books from our "owned" TBR piles/shelves and be accountable! Goes along with the trying not to buy any more books thread!

Any rules? Any limits? Any suggestions? Since I "read about, see, hear of, etc." new books to add and the temptation is GREAT! ... ;o)

message 30: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I know, the temptation is there... and this group doesn't help AT ALL!

My rules are:
No acquiring new books until I have read all the books that aren't marked with a * below, or until January 1, 2010- whichever comes first.

No borrowing books, no Ebooks, no library books, no freebie giveaway books, no gifts, nothing, until I've read what I already own.

Once I am down to the books marked with the *'s, I can then buy books again.

message 31: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) | 463 comments Kandice wrote: "I liked or loved quite a few on your list, but don't want to muddy the waters. I am sooooo impressed with this listing you guys do! I love to do and grocery lists, but this...amaztastic!!!!

You ..."

Amaztastic - what a great word, Kandice!

I too like to make lists and have all (or most) of the books I own on it. However, to make room in my small living space (went to half of what I used to live in!), I've given away almost all my fiction to the library, since I now listen to CDs on my 180 minute, round-trip commute to work. So all I have left on my TBR shelves is non-fiction.

Would love to see your Excel setup, Becky. How did you move that list to Goodreads (above), or did you type each one in individually? And ... how were you able to edit (line through) that list without reposting it?

My daughters will be so proud of me if I can clear out some of these books by actually reading them! ;o)

PS Becky, "Year of Wonders" needs to go closer to the top, along with "Lorna Doone" (a childhood favorite!).

message 32: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3505 comments I have to make it clear (G)Emma made up that word! We all just use it.

message 33: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Thanks Liz!
Fiona was actually the one who did the excel sheet, I was just saying that I should one day. I think that from your "my books" page you can export to excel, but I'm not 100% positive on that - I'll have to play around with it.

In order to cross out the books without reposting the list, I just click on "edit" (which should be on every post that you make) and do "<.s.> text <./.s.>" just without the dots...

I tried to read Lorna Doone a while ago, but I admit that the book didn't grab me. Maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it though.

message 34: by Fiona (last edited Feb 19, 2009 12:11PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) You can export to a spreadsheet but it looks messy and disorganised.

I just coped and pasted which took a bit of fiddling from my to-be read shelf. First into word, then into excel.

It's really fun! I got things colour coded and everything.

message 35: by Vicki (new)

Vicki How are you finding Kite Runner? Another one I own but haven't gotten to. Isn't that dangerous territory, since you want to read Thousand Splendid Suns?

message 36: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) It is definitely dangerous territory! But it was well worth it! Highly recommended, but invest in some tissues.

message 37: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) OK, so I am done with "The Kite Runner", what should I read next? Gimme some recommendations from my list ladies! :)

message 39: by Becky (last edited Feb 20, 2009 06:44PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Fiona, you know perfectly well that I do not own ICTC, and therefore cannot read it!

Silly girl.

message 40: by Jamie (last edited Feb 20, 2009 06:44PM) (new)

Jamie Northanger Abbey is one of my favorites, so I'd have to recommend that one. (I'll be starting ICTC in the next couple of days, though - it looks really good.)

message 41: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Oh, I should mention that I have the following books on another challenge (I'm reading one classic per month), so they are not included... Sorry! :)

Catch-22 - Joseph Heller
The Plague - Albert Camus
Bleak House - Charles Dickens
Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
The 120 Days of Sodom and Other Writings - Marquis de Sade
The Woman in White - Wilkie Collins
The Picture of Dorian Gray - Oscar Wilde
Northanger Abbey - Jane Austen
The Scarlet Pimpernel - Emmuska Orczy
Tess of the D'Urbervilles - Thomas Hardy

message 42: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) OK, I decided to take Liz's recommendation from yesterday and read Year of Wonders.

message 43: by Jamie (new)

Jamie I'll be interested to see what you think of Year of Wonders. I've been debating on whether I should add it to my TBR list or not.

message 44: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Jamie, I'm almost done with the book, and so far I am really liking it. It's an interesting look at how people reacted to difficult situations. Very interesting. I love learning about what people's lives were like before modern technology -- or technology at all, really!

message 45: by Becky (last edited Feb 22, 2009 10:59PM) (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Read: 19
Left To Read: 94
Total Pages Read: 6992

19) 02/22/09- 113. Year of Wonders (304 pgs)

I'm so angry! I just found another book hiding on my shelf! :(

message 46: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Read: 20
Left To Read: 93
Total Pages Read: 7088

20) 02/24/09- 87. A Separate Peace (196 pgs)

message 47: by Angie (new)

Angie | 34 comments Hello! I found you! I just joined this group... on my update feeds I would always see you and Kandice chatting it up in this group so I thought I would check it out. I probably won't be able to join in their group reads (too many books so little time) but I love to be able to list my books here.

message 48: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Hi Angie! I'm glad you joined! If I had known that you were interested I'd have sent you an invite. Although I suppose it wasn't that much trouble to find me, since I'm such a blabbermouth on here! ;)

You'll have tons of fun here though... Its completely addictive!

message 49: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4889 comments Becky wrote: "Right... So I'm not buying any new books until I've read the ones I already own (except incomplete series books, which account for 14 books below - marked with an *), or until 2010, whichever comes..."

I only have twenty thousand leahues under the sea here and using it for the spring challenge. Read in the past the Jekyll story...I think I liekd it but thought it was weird.

message 50: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4889 comments Becky wrote: "Stardust seems to be the least favorite of Gaiman's books... It seems that everywhere he's mentioned, people didn't like that one! I haven't read it, so I can't compare, but I did really like Ameri..."

I only read stardust by him but really liked it. Loved the movie.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Picture of Dorian Gray (other topics)
The Kite Runner (other topics)
I Capture the Castle (other topics)
World War Z: An Oral History of the Zombie War (other topics)
To Reign in Hell (other topics)
More...