Round Lake Library Romance Novel Book Club discussion

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
This topic is about Soulless
Soulless

Comments (showing 1-15 of 15) (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Danielle Use this discussion to voice your comments, concerns, and opinions about our first book!

message 2: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish (Trishria) | 134 comments Looking forward to learning about SteamPunk!
Love to try new romance genres.
Great first meeting Danielle thank you.
Delicious cookies.
Happy Reading...

Trish

message 3: by Danielle (last edited Nov 11, 2012 08:51AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle Here's an Author Profile and Interview that Sword and Laser did with Gail Carriger for anyone that wants a little background on our author for this month :)

message 4: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish (Trishria) | 134 comments Great video thanks for sharing.

message 5: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish (Trishria) | 134 comments Voted for the book timeless for paranormal fantasy on the 2012 good reads voting page!

Danielle Has anyone started this yet? Any thoughts so far? I'm a little bit more than a third through, and I have to say that I love Alexia so far. And I'm really liking the tension between her and Lord Maccon; I'm excited to see where it goes!

message 7: by Diane (new)

Diane | 3 comments Haven't started but looking forward. Enjoying trying new types of stories

message 8: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish (Trishria) | 134 comments I am enjoying the character Alexia also And I too am curious where the relationship will go with Lord Maccon.

Chris I am enjoying the tongue in cheek humor. I happen to love mystery too. Although I have grown bored with supernatural romance this one is different enough to keep me interested.

message 10: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish (Trishria) | 134 comments Chris I am new to supernatural romance and I am enjoying this book glad that you are also enjoying the book. The book was described as Jane Eyre meets Buffy the Vampire Slayer and I think that's a great description of the book!

Danielle Chris wrote: "I am enjoying the tongue in cheek humor. I happen to love mystery too. Although I have grown bored with supernatural romance this one is different enough to keep me interested."

Hi Chris, welcome to the group! I know how you feel about getting bored of paranormal romance. I feel like a lot of them stick to the same tropes and rarely break any new ground. I don't think that Carriger has done that as much in this novel; it seems more fresh to me.

I'm fairly new-ish to the genre, but the biggest problem I have is that I'm a bit sick of vampires and werewolves in general. I'll be honest, my favorite books in the genre lean more towards the witch/wizard/magic end of the spectrum.

message 12: by Danielle (last edited Nov 11, 2012 01:55PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle In case anyone needed some more background, here's a few Steampunk-y links:

My favorite explanation of the genre so far

My internet Queen doing Steampunk-y things

Corset-y Goodness

Hope this entertains, enlightens, and fills in some gaps for those new to the genre.

message 13: by Trish (new) - added it

Trish (Trishria) | 134 comments Wow, a lot of information that was great about steam punk thank you. I like the explanation of what the punk means in steam punk.

Barbara Hartman | 3 comments I am slogging through it - not loving it. Maybe I'm just not far along enough yet. Alexia is somewhat of a brat... I do want to try Grave Witch, though! I think I will like that one more. Can't attend the meeting but I wanted to put in my two cents. Is Charlaine Harris supposed to be any good?

message 15: by Danielle (last edited Nov 28, 2012 07:32AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Danielle I really like Charlaine Harris' Sookie Stackhouse novels (the first one in the series is Dead Until Dark. They're quite a bit different than the show that's based on them (True Blood on HBO). HBO made the show a lot more dark than the books tend to be, kind of like how they sexed up Game of Thrones. Sookie's a great heroine and they have a compelling mystery element as well as the paranormal stuff.

I agree that Soulless starts off a bit slow, but it gets progressively better. Alexia becomes much more engaging as the myriad conspiracies unfold around her.

I'm sorry you can't make it to the meeting since it's not in Malta, but hopefully we'll see you next month for Grave Witch where maybe we can have the meeting on a Thursday so you can come!

Round Lake Library Romance Novel Book Club

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dead Until Dark (other topics)
Grave Witch (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Gail Carriger (other topics)
Charlaine Harris (other topics)