The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (Chronicles of Narnia, #1) The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe discussion

The Movies! Is there Time Enough for them all?

Comments (showing 1-31 of 31) (31 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by CJ (last edited Oct 22, 2012 08:18AM) (new) - added it

CJ I just wondered for a moment about something. The new movie "The Silver Chair" if released before the one fans want produced gets put into theaters around 2014, how much older will the actors be by the time The Last Battle will be put into the movie theaters?

Will it be too noticeable? Are their ages coincidentally close to the novels?

I just wonder mostly because I remember that the films used to come out every three years... but it seems The Voyage of the Dawn Treader wasn't as successful financially as the movie company hoped.

Carina I don't particularly think the movies are particularly good, but from the little I have seen of them I don't think the ages would matter.

If I recall Last Battle correctly they had all aged (though for some reason my brain keeps putting them at the age they were when the left Narnia so earlyish twenties or so?) so I do not think it would be overly jarring.

Are they doing Silver Chair though?

message 3: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ According to Wikipedia, even though people wanted "The Magician's Nephew" I think I heard that they still decided on The Silver Chair. It is strange though that I heard that the film company for some reason has to get the rights back for the series. I guess the rights to the works that gave them permission to make the movies expired.

message 4: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Here is the latest to date:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Silv...

Carina Fair enough, sounds like it will be 6 years before we see another one.

If they do manage to renogiate they might try and film Silver Chair and Last Battle back to back as none of the Pevenses make an appearance in Magicians Nephew. I do think they need to try and start Silver Chair sooner rather than later other Eustace would begin to look a bit too old to return to Narnia.

message 6: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Yeah that sounds believable. And I hope that when "The Last Battle" film does indeed come that they don't try to cash out the series with a part 1/ part 2. That would just be too cheesy in my opinion.

Farheen Well there is no appearance of the Pevensie children in The Silver Chair...its just Eustace with a friend of his......and yes the Dawn Treader wasn't such a big hit as Prince Caspian or The Lion,Witch & Wradrobe because there were no Susan or Peter in it...in my opinion too it was not so good with just two of them & that Eustace....(and Caspian too)..and i don't think that The Silver Chair will be any big hit...that too only with Eustace!!at least there were Lucy & Edmund in The Dawn Treader.....and Caspian too....because he dies in this part........and the story....its also not so much exciting...saving a prince.....the real thing of it......therefore,its gonna a be a BIG flop if they make a movie.......so they shouldn't......and till the Last Battle......its ages away..............
(I said too much)

message 8: by CJ (last edited Oct 24, 2012 12:22AM) (new) - added it

CJ I hope that The Silver Chair movie will not be a flop. I do wonder though how the book itself did with fans overall because I have heard that, strangely, each film in the series has had about the same success as each book in the series.

SteinFussel they just had the characters in the movies that appear in the book. remember that 100 years passed in narnia while the Pavensie kids were gone for only a year their time? the rest of the narnian story is none of their business, they are only referred to as "the old kings and queens". life in narnia goes on. I can see your question though that they reappear at the end of the last book when they return for good. But is it decided that they want to cast all 7 books into movies?

message 10: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Well I know that that was at least their hope to adapt all seven books.

message 11: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora I was so disappointed by the third movie that I'm not sure I'm going to see the others. I really enjoyed the first two movies.

message 12: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Hopefully they will find a better director next time (or get back Andrew Adamson- he made the first two films!). I hope that you will want to see the rest . . . if they come out that is!

SteinFussel and if not... there are the books :D they are awesome. and they don't run away :)

message 14: by Lora (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lora Indeed!

message 15: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ How many people are disappointed that a new Chronicle movie will come out possibly in 2014? And that "possibly" is not very strong as they do not have the rights to the franchise anymore!

message 16: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 23, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

If The Silver Chair is adapted to film, I hope the filmmakers do a good job!

But, based on what I have seen so far, I have a few doubts. I thought the Voyage of the Dawn Treader could have been so much better.

However, I suppose it could have been worse. Maybe I didn't like it because Reepicheep was in it and I have never been able to stand that mouse.

message 17: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Well that wasn't your imagination about the Voyage of the Dawn Treader movie. But I do think it had more than a few pluses. I mostly liked the writing and that it was surprisingly tender at times.

Hopefully the director of Dawn Treader doesn't get used in the next one if it comes out because I think that is mostly where the problems in that film lied.

message 18: by [deleted user] (last edited Nov 25, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

One of the most glaring errors, (I thought) was that in The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, Caspian's accent has suddenly become English. In Prince Caspian, he has a Spanish accent. I thought this very strange.

Unless, of course, Caspian's advisers or PR people or whatever they have in Narinia thought it would be better if the new king tried to fit in with the rest of the folk in the kingdom and change his accent.

message 19: by CJ (last edited Nov 25, 2012 10:57AM) (new) - added it

CJ Yeah that kind of was the deal with what you said. In the first film the Telmarines were given Spanish pirate origins in Andrew Adamson's adaptation and for some reason they felt that there was no reason to make him that way for this film.

I know what you mean about the actor. When Ben Barnes appeared for the first few minutes, his accent was so different to me I thought he was a different actor for a while!

Tiffany I really hope that they will be able to make all of them. I liked the movies much more than the books.

Stardust9820 CJ wrote: "I just wondered for a moment about something. The new movie "The Silver Chair" if released before the one fans want produced gets put into theaters around 2014, how much older will the actors be by..."

I thought that VODT was a very good movie.Better than Prince Caspian ( because in the book--- they never kiss). VODT and LWW were my favorite and also included Edmund/Lucy sibling fluff ( fave part).

I hope they do all the movies with the same actors. Especially the Horse and His Boy & The Last Unicorn.

Micki Lou I would love to see every Narnia story made into a film but I feel they will only ever do books 2, 4 and 5 (hope I got those numbers right) which is a shame as all the books are fab stories and worthy of a film makeover.

Nicky the thing is about these films and with the bbc films they always miss out ,The magicians nephew , The horse and his boy and The last battle these are good books too there were 7 books not just 4 ,

message 24: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Nicky wrote: "the thing is about these films and with the bbc films they always miss out ,The magicians nephew , The horse and his boy and The last battle these are good books too there were 7 books not just 4 ,"

I often wonder how the BBC decided to make only 4 out of the 7 films. My guess is they felt the four films were the only "filmable" books and that the other ones would stretch the budget beyond what they were used to doing.

I wonder about the current movie series though. I hope that they make either The Silver Chair or The Magician's Nephew next (the options the movie producers have been thinking about) though I heard the current companies have lost the rights to the books.

Currently the hope to make the next film hangs in the air... (almost like Jill when Aslan blew her upwards and into the breeze. I don't know. Just wanted to get at least one reference in there. hahaha).

message 25: by Claire (new)

Claire I like the movies (The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe was actually a pretty good film), but I'm not really dying to see the next installment.

The only thing that I'm actually very curious about seeing in The Silver Chair (if there ever will be a Silver Chair movie) is how Puddleglum will look and sound. He has always been my favorite Narina character, and I certainly hope they do him justice.

message 26: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Claire wrote: "I like the movies (The Lion, The Witch, And the Wardrobe was actually a pretty good film), but I'm not really dying to see the next installment.

The only thing that I'm actually very curious about..."

I hope so too about Puddleglum. I hope they do the entire movie justice though that one I wonder may be a difficult story to pull off on screen. I still love that chronicle though. The Silver Chair.

Lesley Arrowsmith When the BBC did The Silver Chair as a TV serial, they cast Tom Baker as Puddleglum.

message 28: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ Lesley wrote: "When the BBC did The Silver Chair as a TV serial, they cast Tom Baker as Puddleglum."

He was awesome! I got that on DVD because I wanted to see an adaptation of another chronicle so badly.

Do you have a favorite moment that he was in?

Lesley Arrowsmith Oh, possibly when he discovered the Giant's cookbook!

message 30: by CJ (new) - added it

CJ That part is my favorite too. I love that he is offended that the book says how bad Marshwiggles taste. That part is so funny!

message 31: by Erin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Erin I don't understand why anybody was disappointed with any of the movies with possibly the exception of Prince Caspian. They were all wonderful. Prince Caspian was just too far off subject.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe (other topics)