FSC Book Club discussion

The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
This topic is about The Homemade Pantry
The Homemade Pantry > Aisle 5 (Soups) & Aisle 6 (Baking Needs & Mixes)

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (last edited Oct 22, 2012 08:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 109 comments Mod
Perfect timing that just as the days are getting cooler (at least here in New York), we stumble upon the chapters on soup and baking. I have a nice “Sunday Soup” tradition at home where... you know, we try make soup on Sundays. Cut up our veggies, add some homemade stock and let it simmer on the stove on a cozy fall or winter day. It's the perfect way to close out a good weekend and prepare for the days ahead.

I’m not always a big baker. Sometimes I get into a kick, but other times I try to avoid baking dozens of sweet treats when there are only two of us here to eat them. But as the seasons change, I get the hankering to crank the oven up and bake. Confession: I take a lot of shortcuts. For instance, although I’m a quiche fanatic, I rarely make my own pie crust. On the infrequent occasions that I find myself baking a cake, I tend to do so with GASP! boxed cake mix and frosting. My pudding is always Jell-O brand and that’s just how it goes. Aisle 6 (Baking Needs and Mixes) was a real eye-opener for me.

Your assignment(s):
Halloween is coming up. Make a spooky pumpkin pie or a hearty squash soup to serve your little ghouls & vampires when they are done trick-or-treating. Fancy up homemade fruit gelatin into one of those creepy-looking desserts you see on Pinterest, with the floating "eyeballs" in it. Make a cake! Serve soup out of bread bowls or gourds. Pick a recipe from these chapters and give it a try, with a Halloween twist.

Another thought- homemade vanilla extract would make a nice holiday present, wouldn’t it? Start a batch or two now and it will be ready in time for holiday gift-giving.

As always, post photos of your creations here on Goodreads, over on Facebook, on Twitter or on Instagram. We may feature your FSC Book Club check-in on the From Scratch Club blog!

BONUS FSC BOOK CLUB ASSIGNMENT!

We've created a separate discussion thread as a call for homemade pantry stories! The next episode of the From Scratch Club podcast will focus on creating a from-scratch, homemade pantry and swapping out processed foods from our kitchens. We want to hear from you, our dear resourceful Book Clubbers! HEAD OVER TO THE SEPARATE DISCUSSION PAGE TO SUBMIT YOUR STORY! More information is posted there.

KitchenNinja | 37 comments So, I have to admit, I wound up jumping ahead last week into the Aisle 6 chapter because I made my favorite chili and wanted to try Alana's cornbread to go with it. IT IS AMAZING!!! My husband said it's the best cornbread he's ever had.

I posted all about it on my blog (where I have dubbed it "Best-Evah Cornbread"): http://yankee-kitchen-ninja.blogspot....

message 3: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kitchen wrote: "So, I have to admit, I wound up jumping ahead last week into the Aisle 6 chapter because I made my favorite chili and wanted to try Alana's cornbread to go with it. IT IS AMAZING!!! My husband said..."

Cheater! Overachiever! Haha, awesome. Chili & cornbread... what a perfect combination.

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments Definitely going to make the cornbread. Yum!

Amy | 89 comments Making butternut squash soup next week, I will jump on The Homemade Pantry band-wagon and cook the cornbread too :)

Meg (megriffi) | 59 comments So excited to jump back into book club after a mini-hiatus. My partner and I did already start making vanilla extract, although we used a recipe from Alexandra Cooks and blogged about it over at SWSC. Enjoy!

Kizzi | 6 comments Due to tons of sickness at my house I bailed on the last assignment. This is perfect because I also have to make something for a charity bake sale at my workplace!

message 8: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kizzi wrote: "Due to tons of sickness at my house I bailed on the last assignment. This is perfect because I also have to make something for a charity bake sale at my workplace!"

Yuck on the sickness, but WOOT! for getting two birds with one stone :)

Kathleen Ryan johnson | 45 comments Just got the book today. I am going camping this weekend so I'll have to start on Monday but I'm looking forward to making something from the book!

message 10: by Amy (last edited Oct 31, 2012 06:43AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 89 comments No Halloween twist, but made the Roasted Butternut Squash soup for dinner tonight... just being orange and squash makes it feel Halloween/autumn like to me. I added the picture to the group!

Tina Jordan | 9 comments Made the stew this weekend. I just love the idea of something I put in the oven early in the day knowing that dinner will be waiting when we are ready hours later. It is the ideal idea of a Sunday. I meant to make the cornbread with it but had a busy weekend and didn't want to wait to eat the stew while I increased the oven and baked it off. Sounds super lazy but one of the lessons I think with homemade pantry items for me is resisting the temptation to make everything at once. Pantry items are a combination of things for immediate enjoyment and things for use later. Yet somehow I look at them as whole day projects where I should do five items at once. It makes this much more of a chore than it needs to be. Back to topic, Stew was great. I used Red wine and beef stock. It did end up needing re seasoning at the end to brighten up the flavor.

message 12: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

I made butternut squash soup last night too :) Photos to come!

message 13: by Kate (last edited Nov 01, 2012 05:42PM) (new) - added it

Kate Hayner | 19 comments I was pretty prepared for the soup chapter, I’ve been making my own stock for years and I’ve always got 3 or 4 kinds of soup in the freezer.

I was a little taken aback when Alana wrote about the how her mother was pregnant with her when Moosewood came out. It made me feel old because I got my copy of Moosewood (which I still have, minus a cover and some additional crayon marks) when my son was a baby and I worked at a co-op in Providence. Made me feel REALLY old!

So this week, in honor of Chapter 5, I decided to feed the freezer. I made corn cob stock from cobs I squirreled away in August, chicken stock with the tops of my leeks, chicken and wild rice soup and beef, sausage and 3 bean chili (which simmered away on the wood stove). I’m going to try the cornbread recipe tomorrow to have with the chili.

Cynthia | 68 comments Oh my. Here's what I did.

I'm a bit more focused on the upcoming election than on Halloween. So the "seasonal" twist that I put on the roasted butternut squash soup was that I made it as part of a dinner I cooked to feed phonebank volunteers phoning on October 30 for two friends who are running for office.

I had planned to have one of them take photos to post but in all the weather hubub I totally forgot that detail (I work for an electric utility, so I was completely unavailable for other activities from Monday morning through Wednesday evening - although in my part of Maine the damage was minimal compared to most other places that had any part of the storm).

With the help of my husband and a couple friends, we made the entire dinner on Sunday, and packed it up so the person in charge of the phonebank could assemble and heat it with minimal effort.

For the soup, I was able to get pumpkins but not butternut squash at the farmers market on Saturday, so we made it with that. My experience with the two is that pumpkins do not have as rich a flavor as butternut squash. So, not unexpectedly, the soup tasted like it "needed" something. We fixed that with a little dose of curry powder. Yum!

I'm told that the dinner was a huge success - and they ate leftovers at a second phonebank on Thursday.

The complete menu was:
Roasted Pumpkin Soup - adapted from Alana's recipe
Baked Macroni and Cheese - from the "Cook's Illustrated Best Make-Ahead Recipe"
Brussels Sprout Salad - from www.snailsview.com
Cabbbage Orange Slaw - from Vegetarian Times Magazine
Almond Cake - from "Cook's Illustrated Best Make-Ahead Recipe"

And I had home-toasted pumpkin seeds for lunch on Thursday!

message 15: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynthia wrote: "Oh my. Here's what I did.

I'm a bit more focused on the upcoming election than on Halloween. So the "seasonal" twist that I put on the roasted butternut squash soup was that I made it as part of a..."

What a menu!

Cynthia | 68 comments Christine wrote: "What a menu! "

Yes. Some of the phone bankers have been eating WAYYY too much pizza, as they are so involved in the election effort that they just eat what's easy to order out - so you can imagine what they thought about it. I was pleased to be able to improve their situation even though I couldn't be at the phone bank myself. And a couple of my friends who helped, who would probably never phone bank in a million years, felt good to be supporting the effort a little bit, too.

message 17: by Meg (last edited Nov 05, 2012 12:01PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megriffi) | 59 comments Welp, I didn't make Alana's cornbread, because I needed to veganize it. So, while I look forward to giving her recipe a whirl soon, in the meantime, I found this one for my vegan friends. Enjoy!

Marilyn  (goodreadscommarilyn_zembo_day) | 25 comments I made the lentil soup on Monday. Never did that from scratch before. In fact, I don't think I ever heard of lentils until I was in my 20s... Anyway, the grocery store where I was shopping was out of all lentils on the shelf except for red lentils, which are smaller and therefore more likely to turn into mush if cooked too long; so I added them a littler later in the process. Turned out delicious. Bill loved it. I loved it. Enjoyed a few slices of rosemary olive oil bread with it (bakery made). Brought some to a friend's house yesterday so she and her husband could have it for dinner.

Monday night I made the Yellow Cake recipe, as cupcakes. Only trouble was, when I checked out the box of cake flour, I saw that it was months past its expiration date. Didn't want to take a chance on its affecting the outcome, so I checked my handy-dandy Substituting Ingredients: The A to Z Kitchen Reference by Becky Sue Epstein because I knew there was some sort of combo of ingredients that make up cake flour and hoped I had whatever it took on my shelves to do it. Luckily, 1 cup of cake flour is equal to 2 tablespoons corn starch plus 7/8 cup all purpose flour. Otherwise, I stuck to the recipe and it produced an awesome tasting cake (a dozen regular cupcakes, actually, plus six muffin-sized ones). Didn't use Alana's frosting recipe as our son is the yellow/golden/vanilla cake lover and he doesn't like it with cream cheese frosting! Frosted them yesterday morning. Adrian brought 8 of the reg-sized cupcakes to a friend's house today (no, he is not some little tyke bringing treats; his friend is married with 4 kids, who will enjoy them immensely!).

I still can't seem to post pictures on this Club site. It says "Done" when I follow directions to do so and then there's no picture showing up on the site. Oh well. Still haven't had time to do a blog entry re the two recipes I made with the ricotta but will include pictures with those, as well as with a post re the lentil soup (can't remember if I took a picture of the cupcakes or not, and there are only 2 left upstairs now...). I guess posting the link to those posts will have to suffice.

I never did get to make anything from Chapters 3 and/or 4. Canning doesn't interest me and have already made homemade salad dressings and hummus. Otherwise, nothing was calling to me - at least not loud enough to deter me from cooking something from another source.

Back to the cake: This was the third "vanilla" type cake I've made over the past six months or so, each from a different recipe. I'd say this was my favorite of the bunch!

Marilyn  (goodreadscommarilyn_zembo_day) | 25 comments Oops - didn't have the rosemary bread with lentil soup. That was over the weekend. I made cornbread but not from Homemade Pantry. Took recipe on the box of cornmeal and modified it (more cornmeal less flour; buttermilk instead of skim; evaporated cane sugar instead of regular granulated; added cheese and a dash of nutmeg. It was great!

Marilyn  (goodreadscommarilyn_zembo_day) | 25 comments Blogged re the lentil soup I made. Find picture on blog. http://kitchencauldron.wordpress.com/...

Amy | 89 comments Planning to make Alana's cornbread for my stuffing this Friendsgiving weekend. Will try to remember to post a picture :)

Marilyn  (goodreadscommarilyn_zembo_day) | 25 comments Amy wrote: "Planning to make Alana's cornbread for my stuffing this Friendsgiving weekend. Will try to remember to post a picture :)"

I LOVE the "Friendsgiving weekend" comment-- is this a tradition with your friends meeting the weekend before Thanksgiving?

Meg (megriffi) | 59 comments I finally got around to whipping up a batch of vegetable stock. It went right in the freezer, since I was using some leftover whey in place of stock this week. But it smelled delicious and I look forward to using it in these soup-making months ahead!

I blogged about it over at Small World Supper Club and would love it if you'd pay me a visit over there! :)

Marilyn  (goodreadscommarilyn_zembo_day) | 25 comments As mentioned before, I didn't use Alana's recipe for cornbread, but DID make cornbread as a side to the lentil soup. Posted it on blog: http://kitchencauldron.wordpress.com/...

Amy | 89 comments Marilyn wrote: "Amy wrote: "Planning to make Alana's cornbread for my stuffing this Friendsgiving weekend. Will try to remember to post a picture :)"

I LOVE the "Friendsgiving weekend" comment-- is this a traditi..."

Shoot - totally forgot to take a picture. And the 9 x 14 casserole dish was pretty much demolished :)

Anyhow... Friendsgiving is a new tradition at my new house :) Some friends who moved from a large house in Iowa to an Old Town apartment in Chicago game us a turkey frier when they downsized, so we decided to try frying a turkey... and my husband and I can't eat a whole turkey alone, so along came Friendsgiving. It is the Saturday of the last Iowa football away game before Thanksgiving, so it could vary a couple of weeks earlier to right before Thanksgiving depending on the football schedule. It was so much fun having a Thanksgiving with friends!

unread topics | mark unread