Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) Shiver discussion


358 views
Why does this book even exist?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 67) (67 new)    post a comment »

Cecilia Carreon Just wished this book was worth reading. Characters need a lot of work and the story is so pointless.


Gabby I found it a bit depressing. but has no right to be called 'unreadable'


Haidi I'm assuming if you didn't like this book then you didn't go on and read the rest?

I enjoyed the series. It was different and by the end of the series I really liked many of the characters.


Kristin This is one of only 3 series that I have started and have no interest of finishing. This book didn't feel like a writer really took the time to craft a story. It seemed more like something written just to empty the pockets of young girls.


message 5: by sam (new) - rated it 5 stars

sam i liked this one its the other two in the series that are hard to get through.


message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I enjoyed the books. Asking why this book ever existed is a little harsh, but we all have our opinions, I guess...


message 7: by georgia (new)

georgia  -ωαт¢н ɱє fℓу- I really enjoyed the books... but I suppose that we all have our own opinions :)


Mimi ❤ It was pretty retarded


Julia I didn't really like this book, but I'm fine with it existing...
For me, it's kind of like Twilight. Can't stand it, but fun to argue about with my Twilight-obsessed friend :)
(Not trying to start a Twilight argument, just stating my opinion :)


Geena I really liked this series. Like Gabby said it was a little depressing but I still liked it.


message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I respect your opinion, but I got to say this series really interested me. I'm an avid reader so I have a lot of stories that I can recall, but this one is one of the more vivid ones. I thought it was different, I love Sams' back story and all the characters were just so...imaginative. I enjoyed it:) but if I'm being objective I can kind of see where you're coming from. Maybe give it a second try though?You never know:)


message 12: by [deleted user] (new)

Melina wrote: "It was pretty retarded"

Just want to know why you thought it was? Not to start an argument, but it'd be interesting to hear why you didn't like it:) just a friendly discussion, maybe the reasons I loved it are the reasons you didn't and I would find that interesting.


Rebecca Bloomer What's great about this stream is that it positively proves that what one person likes another may vehemently dislike. As an author I find that heartening. As a reader, I was a bit middle of the road, didn't adore it, but didn't hate it either. I read it before it really became hugely popular and couldn't have imagined it would become as huge as it is. What the others say is right, the series improves as it continues, still, I'd always thought that each book in a series should be able to support itself. Then again, it's just my opinion!


message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

Cecilia wrote: "Just wished this book was worth reading. Characters need a lot of work and the story is so pointless."

That's a bit harsh...u could say the same abt Twilight.


April I like this book. It's one of my favorite werewolf books, though it is the only book just on werewolves that I have, I've still read the book and I like it. It's a really cute love story. The wolves are amazing and the story is VERY original! I love this book! :)


message 16: by [deleted user] (new)

i enjoyed this book!! i personally never jumped on the twilight books, but i <3 this book(s)!! though there was some things i would change, and i wish with the ending of the last book, she created either a spin off series, or added some books!


Isabelle I liked these books. It may have been a bit slow paced but you cant say that it should never have existed. And if you really hated it so much, you could've just put it down and read a different one, but it's rude and unethical to insult the author's work and say it should never have been created.


message 18: by i. (last edited Oct 22, 2012 02:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

i. The book exists because the author devoted time and effort to creating it.


message 19: by Ava (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ava Dobson I personally loved these books so much. I respect your opinion and all but I don't think it has the right to be called unworthy of existence.


Mimi ❤ Baylor wrote: "Melina wrote: "It was pretty retarded"

Just want to know why you thought it was? Not to start an argument, but it'd be interesting to hear why you didn't like it:) just a friendly discussion, may..."


Haha no it's cool I understand (:

For starters, I flat out disliked every character in the book, and to me character's are the saving grace of a book.The two narrators were difficult to distinguish from, I didn't understand the werewolf lore, I found it cliched, and wayy to fast paced and no sexual tension at all :(


message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

lmao yes gotta love that sexual tension!!! Well that is interesting because I loved the characters, I do however wish it could have had one narrator (multiple ones just pull me out of the story). I did like the werewolf lore (though it could also be because this was my first and only werewolf series). I liked the pace though:) and Sam, I just loved how the other showed us a damaged boy who didn't try and act all tough or was *the bad boy*.


Mandy Busby I loved this book I thought it was beautifully crafted. I got it when it first came out have never heard of it or the author and just gave it a go on a whim. I am glad I did. It is a young adult book, but I think it can be enjoyed by anyone...if they want to....just one girls opinion.


message 23: by Sarah (new) - rated it 1 star

Sarah This book was so boring. I pushed myself through the first half hoping it would get better only to get disappointed. Gave the book to my sister.


message 24: by [deleted user] (new)

Sarah wrote: "This book was so boring. I pushed myself through the first half hoping it would get better only to get disappointed. Gave the book to my sister."


lol that's nice... wow this book is crap...I know! I'll give it to my sister as a Christmas present...*evil laugh* na jokes! :P


Charlotte It exists because a woman came up with an idea one day and had the inclination and imagination to turn it into a story. Really, what a question.


message 26: by Lola (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lola Mark why? because it is freaking epic thats why


Lindis Russell Ummm, because it's a very good book. All three put together are a great story! I liked it.
I'm so glad that authors have the power to ignore people that do things like this. Start a chat bashing their work. I'd like to see these people do something that they're passionate about and put it out in the world for millions to see.
But I guess you have the right to complain. It's just rude. Viva La Freedom!!!


Julie Wright Cecilia wrote: "Just wished this book was worth reading. Characters need a lot of work and the story is so pointless."

I disagree, I found it to be, worthy of my time.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. But life would be boring, without other people opinions and I respect yours.


Julie Wright i. wrote: "The book exists because the author devoted time and effort to creating it."

Like x


Veronica Cecilia wrote: "Just wished this book was worth reading. Characters need a lot of work and the story is so pointless."

Finally i thuoght this trilogy was waste of my time. for all the hype it has no mentionable plot. too dry, never ending, uninteresting and so on. these books make twilight and even blue bloods a better series.


Veronica Melina wrote: "Baylor wrote: "Melina wrote: "It was pretty retarded"

Just want to know why you thought it was? Not to start an argument, but it'd be interesting to hear why you didn't like it:) just a friendly ..."


agree. I can see there's a plot but that being so insignificant, it naturally feels sub-standard even with some realistic messed up characters.


message 32: by Emmy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Emmy Styles You're entitled to your opinion because in the past I have hated books that others loved, but I personally adore this book, the characters and everything about it. But thats just me


Mandi I loved this book, as well as the rest of the series. I liked her use of poetry, and how the wolves are different then your typical werewolf books.


Callie I think that's a harsh way of putting it...
I actually found this book to be really amazing. I thought it was beautifully written, and the characters seemed like they could exist in the real world. A lot of people said it was dry, but it's really not; it's just not action packed. Shiver is a complex story, and you have to look beyond the surface level to see how good it is.


Gillian I loved this book, it was honestly one of my favorites. Maggie was meritouris!


Clara Ozera Her other two books - the ones about the dark fairies - are way, way more better than these. 'Shiver' is not that bad, really, but I just didn't feel the whole story as much as I always do... I don't know. It just didn't get under my skin, but that's my own opinion after all.


message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

Lola wrote: "why? because it is freaking epic thats why"

lmao


Michelle i enjoyed this book, it was a good story although i also think that the charters weren't fully thought out. it was still an easy read and i'm actally going to buy the second one when i have time to.


Alyce Hunt I did really enjoy this book, it was nice to have a twist on the lore but I will admit it was difficult to get into with the two narrators as the voices were so similar; it would have been interesting if the book had two authors to do the two different voices.


Diane M. Fabulous book. I think it's too deep for some people.


message 41: by Mary (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mary This was just great read and I hated when series was complete... definately one of my favourites!


message 42: by Cecilia (last edited Oct 30, 2012 07:20AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Cecilia Carreon Sorry guys didnt mean for it too sound harsh to those who likee it i didnt even know ppl really loved this book. I happen to just come across read the first chapter and loved it once i kept reading it i realized it was just a story we all already knew thrown together. I love twilight and i wanted to love this one but honestly the author could have done way better maybe she was in hurry to finish and publish it. I read the WHOLE book by the way and really got nothing of it. sorry again about title of thread thats really the first thing i thought of when i saw this book cover again. Cool to see some ppl love it.


Cecilia Carreon wow i never thought id be on the other end. now i know how ppl who dislike twilight feel.


Amanda Wow harsh title or what!.. I loved this book series.. yes it maybe doesn't go into the depth that Kelley Armstrong werewolve books do (bitten, broken, stolen and frostbitten) but it was def worth the read and is still a favorite of mine..

Give it another read..maybe he doesn't have enough adventure for some people but it is from a "teenage love" point of view.. it is a lighthearted read..


Cecilia Carreon I wont be rereading it i barely made it the first time not offense intended i really just dont like the characters but its wonderful too see so many diff opinions.


Cecilia Carreon Melina wrote: "Baylor wrote: "Melina wrote: "It was pretty retarded"

Just want to know why you thought it was? Not to start an argument, but it'd be interesting to hear why you didn't like it:) just a friendly ..."


This pretty much sums it up for me thanks "no lure wat so ever"


message 47: by Zoran (last edited Oct 30, 2012 04:05PM) (new)

Zoran Krušvar Mariah wrote: "What is going on here. ????? Why do u hate shiver soo much.....the wolves are sooo inviting"

I don't hate the book. I never read it.

I do find the idea a bit stupid, and the word "Twilight" is often used as a comparison. And the first book of Twilight was an awful experience. So I guess it all makes this book look a bit bad.

But I don't really have any feelings for it, good or bad. As I said, I haven't read it.


Arion Callie wrote: "I think that's a harsh way of putting it...
I actually found this book to be really amazing. I thought it was beautifully written, and the characters seemed like they could exist in the real world...."


best comment so far, agree with you completely, Maggie's books are subtle, and that is in my opinion their greatest quality aside from great characters


message 49: by Sheri (last edited Oct 30, 2012 08:16PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sheri (Tangled Up In Books) To everyone that didn't go on to finish the series I highly recommend you do. Honestly I didn't like the book at first and mostly read it because a werewolf obsessed friend bugged me to. I seriously forced my way through it. I didn't have so much a problem with the characters it was more of the really, really short chapters. I found them pointless. By the end I was somewhat invested into what happened to Sam and Grace and so I moved onto book 2 and that's when I truly fell in love with these books. Linger and Forever really make this series. I was so glad I finished! :)


Amanda Arion wrote: "Callie wrote: "I think that's a harsh way of putting it...
I actually found this book to be really amazing. I thought it was beautifully written, and the characters seemed like they could exist in ..."


yeah I think that too.. actually seems like it could happen.


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Shiver (other topics)