Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy #2) Winter of the World question

Character similarities to other Follett books.
Adam Adam Oct 15, 2012 12:48PM
Has anybody else notice similarities in WotW and other characters in different Follett books?

To me Boy reminds me a lot of Sully from A Dangerous Fortune, and Carla reminds me of "Flick" from the Jackdaws.

Waiting patiently for the third book of this trilogy

I wanna get into more of Follett's stuff. I'll consider this.

Check out my webcomic, updates every Thursday: http://reddkaiman.blogspot.com/2013/0...

I absolutely loved the fall of giants, and I did enjoy this one. but, yes- the similarity of the characters is what kept me from getting engrossed in this one like I did with the first. There just really didn't seem to be much difference between the first and second generations. I sort of wish he had just kept his focus on the originals- ethel, maude, gus, lev, etc.

F 25x33
Beth I agree, Redd.
Jan 23, 2014 06:48AM

I couldn't put it down, but I kept waiting for it to bring Maud more into the story. How did Lloyd resist telling her they were related?!!
And Billy too, I missed hearing about him in this book.
I guess he's keeping Maud in Germany for book 3.

Adam wrote: "Has anybody else notice similarities in WotW and other characters in different Follett books?

To me Boy reminds me a lot of Sully from A Dangerous Fortune, and Carla reminds me of "Flick" from t..."

Agree with your points

Good thread. Yes there are similarities between the characters. I also thought of Flick from "Jackdaws" and Caris from "World Without End" whenever Carla was involved in "Winter." And yes, Sully was much like Boy. While we're at it, some reviewers complained that the characters in "Winter" were flat and it reminded me that in his books Ken Follett usually provides contrasts in his characters. Dieter in "Jackdaws" was shown in church praying and he was warm to his Jewish mistress. Macke, the character like him in "Winter" was 100% nasty (I was wishing he could have died the way Sgt. Becker did in "Jackdaws). Maybe Ken didn't think he had time or space to flesh out his characters more, that the narrative was more important.

I just got tired of his political views. He is normally one of my favorite authors, but this last one was too much. And yes I think the characters are over lapping each other.

Not as good as Fall of Giants. The characters are just too predictable! Not one of his best works.

Michael (last edited May 11, 2013 10:50PM ) Feb 13, 2013 01:48AM   0 votes
Adam wrote: "Has anybody else notice similarities in WotW and other characters in different Follett books?

To me Boy reminds me a lot of Sully from A Dangerous Fortune, and Carla reminds me of "Flick" from t..."

so what that's life i have got similar characteristics to my dad its normal.Brilliant Brilliant Brilliant always Brilliant.

Can't seem to put Follett's books down, even as long as they are. Can't wait to read the third book in this trilogy. I've learned so much about WWI and II that I didn't know.

I am patiently waiting for the third book in this series to come out. Learning so much about WW1 and WW2 was great. Love his books.

I agree that his character development leaves a little to be desired, but I still love this book (& even more so Fall of Giants) for the insight into history. I loved how this book told about important events from a slightly different perspective than normal - a paratrooper's view of D-day, a vacationer's view of Pearl Harbor, and the atrocities in Germany from the point of view of a teenager. Follett does impeccable research. It was interesting to note some of the events he did not address (in both books), such as the murder of the Romanovs and activity within concentration camps.

Erin (last edited May 05, 2014 12:11PM ) Mar 25, 2014 12:52PM   0 votes
Yes, so many times I have been stunned how much Daisy reminds me of Aliana in Pillars!

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Winter of the World (other topics)