The Sword and Laser discussion

NaNoWriMo 2012

Comments (showing 1-50 of 237) (237 new)    post a comment »

Matt Ingrouille | 24 comments Anyone else participating in NaNoWriMo this year? I thought maybe a thread started here would be a good idea to share progress and ideas with other Sword and Laser listeners.
I've never taken part in NaNoWriMo before. I became interested too late in the month last year and have been waiting since then to take part. I'm aiming to write Monday-Friday every day of November. Let's see how that pans out for me :)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments I'll be taking part for sure. I did it last year and finished, then managed it again in June for Camp NaNoWriMo. It's a lot of fun.

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 95 comments I will be taking part in this. My plan is in place and I am clearing the decks of my other projects so that I can start on Nov 1 sharp.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments I'm in, 100%. I'll be starting on my third book, Retribution, Book III of The Time Weaver Chronicles. This will be my third year in a row taking part. My first year, I started late, so didn't win. Last year I made it to 50k in 28 days. I'm hoping to make it there sooner this year.

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments I just signed up for the first time. I have no idea what I'm in store for. I feel like it's going to be a lot of frustration.

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 95 comments Not exactly drowning under a flood of Nanowrimo-ers are we? Where are you all? There must be more up for the challenge.

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Darren wrote: "Not exactly drowning under a flood of Nanowrimo-ers are we? Where are you all? There must be more up for the challenge."

Indeed. But I think this highlights the demographic for this particular group. Lots of readers, not so many writers/authors. Which makes sense for a book club. :)

message 8: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 741 comments Mod
I'm in.

Marz | 39 comments My friend and I decided to both do it this year for the first time. I am kind of nervous but I am really looking forward to it.

Tamahome | 4498 comments Thomas wrote: "Indeed. But I think this highlights the demographic for this particular group. Lots of readers, not so many writers/authors. Which makes sense for a book club. :) ..."

I thought every f&sf reader was a wannabe writer.

message 11: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2724 comments Mod
I write code. Does that count?

Neil | 165 comments I've always liked the idea of being a writer. I've come up with ideas and mapped out the basics of a bunch stories in my head over the years. It's the actual 'writing of the words' bit of writing I've always sucked at.

Never got beyond some notes and a couple of pages before. Started on a new idea since I joined this group last month but the chances of me finishing it at all let alone in a month are slim to none. Don't really have a lot of free time at the moment with my job but there's a good chance I will be redundant within a year so maybe that will give me the time and motivation to actually finish something.

terpkristin | 2849 comments There are usually a good number of people from this group that give it a go. I just think that this thread hasn't been seen (due to GR notification emails sucking or weekend or whatever). And I suspect some might not want to commit yet. ;)

As for myself, I tried it once and failed. I'd like to try it again but I really have no ideas. Like, at all. So it's hard to motivate to potentially write.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1818 comments I'm back in after taking last year off. I was going to do poetry and not word count but then got an idea....

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Jenny wrote: "I'm back in after taking last year off. I was going to do poetry and not word count but then got an idea...."

Poetic space opera

Thomas Knight (thomasaknight) | 33 comments Tyler wrote: "Jenny wrote: "I'm back in after taking last year off. I was going to do poetry and not word count but then got an idea...."

Poetic space opera"

Ohh, now there's a winning idea. :)

David(LA,CA) (DavidScharf) | 317 comments At some point, I'll be giving it a try. But this year, a portion of the time is going to be eaten by needing to take care of family.

Good luck to those that are giving it a go.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1818 comments Well, I at least going to have a poet. But in space? Hmmmmmm!!

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments Shall I compare thee to a Jovian moon...
Thou art less gaseous and carbon based....

Marz | 39 comments Tyler wrote: "Shall I compare thee to a Jovian moon...
Thou art less gaseous and carbon based...."

That is awesome.

Andrew (andrewlinke) | 110 comments Not doing NaNoWriMo myself, but I will be writing every day (hopefully working on the second Oliver Lucas Adventure) and my students are doing NaNoWriMo as part of an English enrichment class.

Mike (mikespencer) | 60 comments I've done it twice, but never made it to 50,000 words. I held off last year because I didn't come up with a good idea. I'm thinking about jumping back in this year, but only if I come up with something good. I'm not creative enough to just fudge my way through it.

Bradley (FertileSpade) I'm in.

Jeffery Moulton (jefferymoulton) | 3 comments Already gearing up for it. Finger exercises and all! :)

Tim | 370 comments I'm in - first time. Should be a laugh :)

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1818 comments I never plan ahead, I let my characters decide. One year I tried to write post-apocalyptic and ended up with a chef exploding in a shower of turmeric. One year I was going to write a normal story and it turned post-apocalyptic. Around 10k, you just have to give yourself over to it.

Annah Lång (mistiannyi) | 2 comments I've always wanted to participate in NaNoWriMo but I'm just not cut out to write longer pieces so I may do an impromptu NaNoMango/NaNoWriMo mashup and do slightly more wordy comics for November D=

Tamahome | 4498 comments Jenny wrote: "Well, I at least going to have a poet. But in space? Hmmmmmm!!"

And what type of scenes do you like writing again?

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1818 comments Tamahome wrote: "Jenny wrote: "Well, I at least going to have a poet. But in space? Hmmmmmm!!"

And what type of scenes do you like writing again?"

Shhh.

Sky Corbelli | 293 comments Yeah, last year was rough, what with Skyrim coming out 11 days into it and all. I finished, but that was mainly 40k words before Skyrim and 10k in the last week of the month...

This year, I think I'll write some kind of alternate history... with magic! And it'll be based on string theory! Hmmm... I had better start researching the Spanish Inquisition, because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1818 comments Sky wrote: "This year, I think I'll write some kind of alternate history... with magic! And it'll be based on string theory! Hmmm... I had better start researching the Spanish Inquisition, because nobody expects the Spanish Inquisition. "
Haha, sounds good already.

So everyone, what is your NaNoWriMo name? I'm sh1mm3r... come be my writing buddy!

"To achieve great things, two things are needed: a plan, and not quite enough time."
--Leonard Bernstein

Tamahome | 4498 comments I'm tamahome but I've never gotten around to writing anything. Can writing buddies read your stuff? :)

Tim | 370 comments I'm Tim_A. Bit boring but easy to remember. Still thinking about what to write, but there will definitely be spaceships. There might be string, but no theory, just ordinary string. No magic, but possibly an elf. Or a cat.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1818 comments One of the things we used to do in one of my virtual groups is have writing challenges where you would have to do such things as "include string." We can really help each other out.

Tamahome wrote: "I'm tamahome but I've never gotten around to writing anything. Can writing buddies read your stuff? :)"
Only if it is posted somewhere, not by default.

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments I'm on there as TylerLutz. Thinking about writing something on a forest planet...

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments No ewoks though...

Sky Corbelli | 293 comments Tim A wrote: "No magic, but possibly an elf. Or a cat."

Or a cat that's an elvish impersonator?

Doc (doc_coleman) | 21 comments This year is my second year doing NaNoWriMo. I'm still working on edits for last year's novel, but that is no reason not to start a new project.

If you're not doing NaNo, but would like to support the Office of Letters and Light's Creative Writing programs, I'm asking for sponsors for my novel (because I'm broke). If you'd like to sponsor me, or even if you're just curious about the sponsorship program, you can check it out at http://www.stayclassy.org/doccoleman.

Doc

P. Aaron Potter (PAaronPotter) | 585 comments Erg. I tried last year and flailed miserably before admitting I couldn't maintain my teaching schedule and write-to-order.

But this year, the Tiny Tyrant is in full-schedule Kindergarten, so I have high hopes. Ideas are bubbling around in the little-used back-kitchenette of my brain, so here's hopingthis is the year. Count me in.

Joseph | 145 comments First attempt but I'm not expecting to finish it, I have assignments and creative writing tasks for my Lit course as well, so that'll have to take precedence over it.

Still looking forward to it, I currently have no ideas for it. :D

Caylie (csadin) | 3 comments Mine is csadin! writing buddy me!! This is my first year attempting!!

Sky Corbelli | 293 comments I'm Xelfyar over in NaNo land.

I turned my project from last year into a cute little sci-fi trilogy, so I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of this one.

Aikuchi | 4 comments My sixth year i think . i only made 2/6 though. :( but I'm gonna still plod on.
Going through a particularly dificult relationships now- need something to distract me.

Laurel I wear my "finisher" t-shirts with pride! I hope this will be my third completed challenge. I'm going to try my hand at YA genre this time.

I recently read The Secret Garden and fell back in love with it all over again. It's inspired me to try something a bit new.

Jane Higginson | 160 comments what exactly is involved with the project ? I hadnt heard of it before listening to sword and laser lol.
Im interested in writing, I have a few half written stories and lots of poems

Mike | 38 comments Does it count if you work on stuff you're already writing?

Tyler Lutz (tylerlutz) | 233 comments I think the rules say you have to start from scratch, but you can notes, outlines, research, etc.

terpkristin | 2849 comments I read that book and still don't think I could do it. I really have no ideas. Les sigh.

message 50: by Jlawrence, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Oct 16, 2012 04:33PM) (new)

Jlawrence | 811 comments Mod
Mike wrote: "Does it count if you work on stuff you're already writing?"

As said above, the official rules are you can plan, outline, etc. beforehand, but aren't suppossed to do any actual story-writing til November.

*However*, there is an officially-OK'ed group of NaNoWriMo 'Rebels' who still follow the rule of pushing themselves to write 50,000 words during that month, but who are nonetheless working on something they started before November.

There is a whole NaNoWriMo sub-forum for Rebels, here is the detailed Am I a NaNoWriMo Rebel FAQ.

I will be joining the Rebel camp this year as I will be re-writing the chunk of a novel I started last NaNoWriMo, and boy does it need that re-writing. I'm excited about it.

« previous 1 3 4 5

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

No Plot? No Problem!: A Low-Stress, High-Velocity Guide to Writing a Novel in 30 Days (other topics)