Goodreads Feedback discussion

Suggestions & Questions > Listopia List Limit

Comments (showing 1-50 of 88) (88 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

Jessica (Goldenfurpro) (Goldenfurproductions) | 8 comments All Listopia Lists have a limit of adding only 100 books per a member but I find this irking.
Yes, I admit it's fine for some lists but when you're voting on a list like "Books Read In 2012" and you're read over 200 books...
it might become a problem.
The main reason why I'm bringing this up is that I made this Listopia List called COVER CLONES which is a list of books with covers that are used more than once.
And everytime I see this happen I like to add it to the list, but i'm already at 98 books...
I know that other people can vote on the list but the problem with that is that it gets the clones all mixed up (not on purpose of course).
Yes, this is a very pointless list but there's probably a lot of other list makers that are running into the same problem so...
is there a way that this can be changed?

message 2: by Anna (new)

Anna Kļaviņa (AnnaMatsuyama) | 156 comments +1

message 3: by Mike Briggs (new)

Mike Briggs (MikeBriggs) | 35 comments That 100 book limit is annoying. I added my first 100 books read in 2012 to the books read list, found 101 not accepted, and started removing books from my list. Frustrating, quite frustrating.

message 4: by Diane (new)

Diane | 97 comments Yes, one of my lists is "1001 Books I Have Already Read". I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) have read more than 100 books on the list. I had to leave off about a 100 of the books I have read and that kind of defeated the purpose of the list.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments Diane wrote: "Yes, one of my lists is "1001 Books I Have Already Read". I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) have read more than 100 books on the list. I had to leave off about a 100 of the books I have read ..."

Wouldn't this be more appropriate as a shelf?

message 6: by Diane (new)

Diane | 97 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Diane wrote: "Yes, one of my lists is "1001 Books I Have Already Read". I (and I'm sure a lot of other people) have read more than 100 books on the list. I had to leave off about a 100 of the book..."

No, since it is not for just me but for anyone reading books from the 1001 list.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments Diane wrote: "No, since it is not for just me but for anyone reading books from the 1001 list. "

"I have read" is a shelf. If you wanted the list to be "1001 books I would read again" that would be worth a list.

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) | 335 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: ""I have read" is a shelf. If you wanted the list to be "1001 books I would read again" that would b..."

I think they mean there's a list of 1001 books to read before you die (or similar)(made by Time Magazine or something) and it's books they've read from that list.

As far as I understand it anyhow.

message 9: by Elizabeth (Alaska) (last edited Oct 15, 2012 05:58PM) (new)

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments Katharine wrote: "I think they mean there's a list of 1001 books to read before you die (or similar)(made by Time Magazine or something) and it's books they've read from that list.

As far as I understand it anyhow. "

Yes, I'm a member of that group. They have revised the list 3 times, so that there are now 1305 books (original 2006, revised 2008, 2010, 2012). One person has read nearly 1000 of them since the list first came out in 2006.

My contention remains that books you have read is a shelf. Not a listopia.

message 10: by Sheila (new)

Sheila  | 575 comments There is also a listopia for people to vote for the books they have read from the "1001 books" list

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/81...

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments Sheila wrote: "There is also a listopia for people to vote for the books they have read from the "1001 books" list

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/81..."

That is the list Diane is talking about. Why would you "vote" on a list just because you've read a book? The list is easily accessible in several places on the web, and on the group bookshelf.

message 12: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Why would you "vote" on a list just because you've read a book? "

Why wouldn't you? I take it you don't use Listopia at all. But lots of people do. I don't vote on those 1,001 type lists because the limit is 100 votes and if I haven't reached that number, I will eventually, and I'll be annoyed. (I would vote if it was possible to vote for 1,001 books). But I vote on lots of other lists.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Why wouldn't you? I take it you don't use Listopia at all. But lots of people do."

I use listopia as a reference tool. I have either put books on lists or said I thought they were worth someone else's time. To me, that is the reason listopia exists - a community recommendation pool and reference tool.

I know you use listopia a lot - I have learned more about listopia from you than from anyone.

There are some real stinkers on the 1001 list, and even though I've read them, I would in no way put them on a community list as a sort of recommendation. A "best of the 1001 list" would make a great deal of sense, however.

message 14: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3338 comments And the great thing about this site is that it's so rich, people can use lots of different features in lots of different ways. I definitely +1 the OP. I've not hit the limit yet, but if listopia were ever improved in some of the ways we've previously asked for, I would need that 100 vote limit removed or at least raised.

(Some things that need fixing are to make it easier to tell if a book is on the shelf already, and to make 'edition specific' an opt-in, for example.)

message 15: by Diane (new)

Diane | 97 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Sheila wrote: "There is also a listopia for people to vote for the books they have read from the "1001 books" list

http://www.goodreads.com/list/show/81..."

That is..."

Can we stay on topic? This post is about the ability to have more than 100 votes on a list and not about whether or not a list should exist. Sorry I used an example that you had issues with. Thanks.

message 16: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Bumping the OP. I would like to see the 100 book limit increased. Is this something that is feasible?

message 17: by Julia (new)

Julia (Julia103) | 69 comments +1

message 18: by Feliks (last edited Oct 12, 2013 11:18AM) (new)

Feliks (Dzerzhinsky) +1. It is a perplexing and annoying restriction. What list worth a hang, is less than 100 titles?

message 19: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl (cherylllr) | 3338 comments To clarify, lists can be as long as you want them to be, but each contributor is limited to adding 100 titles. The workaround is to recruit friends to help populate the list.

message 20: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 136 comments Definitely want the limit increased. There are all kinds of lists where people could easily have more than 100 books on their shelves that fit the criteria -- the lists that come to mind are the ones for books of certain colors, ones for books set in specific states/countries, and the "books into movies" lists. I've run up against the limit several times.

message 21: by Erin (new)

Erin | 5 comments I would like the limit increased too, since I enjoy the lists where people of similar age groups, interests, etc list all the books we've read in a year and I, like many of you, am nearly always more than 100. Is there any good reason NOT to increase it? Not necessarily without limit, if that would create a problem, but even to 200?

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 508 comments Erin wrote: "Is there any good reason NOT to increase it?"

Not that I think it would be a *huge* issue, but one reason not to do a massive increase would be the "naughty" people that put books on every list despite whether or not it belongs. Obviously, if you can come up with 100+ titles to add to a list legitimately, people can come up with as many for an illegitimate reason even with the current limit.

I don't personally use listopia (so not that my opinion counts), but I can see where some would have good reason to need more than 100.

message 23: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments I'd like to see this increased as well. I am currently part of a list of the books we've read in 2014. I'm pretty sure that many of us will read more than 100 books in a year and it is a shame to remove books in order to place another there.

message 24: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 645 comments I think the people that add books to every list whether they belong or not usually concentrate on just a few books, not on adding as many books as possible to one list.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1502 comments From what I've seen as a Listopia addict, I'd agree with Sophie.

Dannie  *migraine in 5..4..3..* (Dannie_evans) | 508 comments Sophie wrote: "I think the people that add books to every list whether they belong or not usually concentrate on just a few books, not on adding as many books as possible to one list."

That's why I said not a huge problem. I mean I've seen some very vindictive people that would go through to add every book written by certain people to a "worst ever" type list. It wouldn't take long to hit 100 that way. Its not the majority, but I'm also going to guess that the 100 limit was added after something happened that I am in the dark about as well.

message 27: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl No, I'm pretty sure the 100 vote limit was always in place.

It is a nice, logical, handsome number. But for people who read a LOT it is not a high enough number.

message 28: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 324 comments +1 Please double the limit to 200.

message 29: by Andréa (last edited Mar 24, 2014 04:45PM) (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 136 comments Susanna - Censored by GoodReads wrote: "From what I've seen as a Listopia addict, I'd agree with Sophie."

I agree with you both. I think the majority of the problem people on lists are only voting for 1 book per list (which makes you wonder if there should be a minimum vote limit). The majority of the people who bump up against the 100-book limit are the avid readers and Listopia addicts who are making the lists more robust and exhaustive.

message 30: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 645 comments I don't think there should be a minimum vote limit, no. Sometimes when I see a list I'm like "oh, I know a book that should be on this list that's not on it!" so I only add the one book.

message 31: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 136 comments Sophie wrote: "I don't think there should be a minimum vote limit, no. Sometimes when I see a list I'm like "oh, I know a book that should be on this list that's not on it!" so I only add the one book."

Oh, I've definitely done that too. I'm not saying I think there should be one, necessarily, just that if there's a maximum limit it's curious there's no minimum limit, since that seems to be the bulk of the abuse on Listopia lists.

message 32: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl No...e.g. "Best Books of 2014" - I only add books I've read, so there's a point in time when I've only read one book published in 2014. Or 1920, or 1840 etc.

message 33: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 136 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "No...e.g. "Best Books of 2014" - I only add books I've read, so there's a point in time when I've only read one book published in 2014. Or 1920, or 1840 etc."

Definitely. I'd prefer no limits in either direction, maximum or minimum.

message 34: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 4 comments I would also like to see the limit raised above 100. I recently was adding some books to a fairly broad topic (Best Baseball Books) and ran into this limit. I think the list is a good resource for those looking for books in this genre, but I continue to find more quality books in this category that belong on that list. Even doubling that would be helpful.

message 35: by Randolph (new)

Randolph Carter (us227381) | 222 comments David wrote: "I would also like to see the limit raised above 100. I recently was adding some books to a fairly broad topic (Best Baseball Books) and ran into this limit. I think the list is a good resource fo..."

Who is going to page through your 1001 book listopia list on books you read in 2013 except you? Make it a shelf.

message 36: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 4 comments Randolph wrote: "David wrote: "I would also like to see the limit raised above 100. I recently was adding some books to a fairly broad topic (Best Baseball Books) and ran into this limit. I think the list is a go..."

I didn't say it was 1001 (or even close to that number) nor did I say it was books I read in 2013. I simply said that on a list as broad as that, there could be more that the list number. I know I can make my own shelf, that wasn't what I was leaving feedback on.

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1502 comments If you're trying to "seed" a list you're starting (some people don't know how to add books to Listopias, and having the book already on makes it much easier for them), you may well want to add more than 100 votes.

message 38: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Randolph wrote: "Who is going to page through your 1001 book listopia list on books you read in 2013 except you? Make it a shelf. "

By that logic, why have Listopias at all? Everyone could just "make a shelf" for whatever topic they wanted. GR decided to have Listopias, and a lot of people enjoy them. Listopias increase the interactivity (socialness) of the site.

Personally I don't want to "make a shelf" for anything and everything. I want to keep my shelves limited. Some people like having 500 shelves, and that's terrific for them, but I'm not one of them.

Elizabeth (Alaska) | 14320 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "By that logic, why have Listopias at all? Everyone could just "make a shelf" for whatever topic they wanted. GR decided to have Listopias, and a lot of people enjoy them. Listopias increase the interactivity (socialness) of the site."

Listopias are great because people who know about books on a certain subject (location, genre, etc.) can make a list and then those of us who want to read something about that subject (location, genre, etc.) can rely on the expertise of others. When people have more expertise than 100 books, it's a shame they aren't able to share it.

message 40: by David (new)

David (nusandman) | 4 comments Elizabeth (Alaska) wrote: "Lobstergirl wrote: "By that logic, why have Listopias at all? Everyone could just "make a shelf" for whatever topic they wanted. GR decided to have Listopias, and a lot of people enjoy them. Listop..."

Thanks, that's exactly how I feel about it too. They are a great resource to learn from or to share with.

message 41: by Lobstergirl (new)

Lobstergirl Bump for raising the user vote ceiling to 200.

message 42: by AH (new)

AH | 921 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Bump for raising the user vote ceiling to 200."
+1

message 43: by Deborah (new)

Deborah | 1400 comments Lobstergirl wrote: "Bump for raising the user vote ceiling to 200."
+1

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1502 comments Gets my vote.

message 45: by Sophie (new)

Sophie (notemily) | 645 comments +1

Julia ♥Duncan♥ (apocalypticchick) | 11 comments I also would find an increase useful. Only issue I see is how to score books below 100th, since currently 1st on your list = 100 points, 2nd = 99 points and so on until 100th = 1 point. So how many points for 101st? Would they just get a score of 0 until someone places them higher than 101st on a list? Something to think about.

message 47: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 136 comments Julia wrote: "I also would find an increase useful. Only issue I see is how to score books below 100th, since currently 1st on your list = 100 points, 2nd = 99 points and so on until 100th = 1 point. So how many points for 101st? Would they just get a score of 0 until someone places them higher than 101st on a list? Something to think about."

Good point. I had never paid attention to how the scoring works before, so I didn't think of that. That probably explains why they haven't increased the maximum yet, as it would either result in books past 100 receiving no points, or in them having to rewrite all the Listopia scoring.

message 48: by Erin (new)

Erin | 5 comments I'm not a computer person, so I don't know how difficult it would be to, for example, move values from 200-0 versus 100-0.

And just as an example of what we're talking about it's now May 19th and I just voted on two different "what I've read in 2014" list and I'm now at 92, so a few more weeks and I'm out of room, and with a whole half a year to go. =(

message 49: by Andréa (new)

Andréa (fernandie) | 136 comments Erin wrote: "And just as an example of what we're talking about it's now May 19th and I just voted on two different "what I've read in 2014" list and I'm now at 92, so a few more weeks and I'm out of room, and with a whole half a year to go. =( "

There are several lists where I've hit the 100 mark but actually have more books I'd like to add, so each time I have to decide which, if any, books I'll take off so I can add new ones. Very frustrating!

Susanna - Censored by GoodReads (SusannaG) | 1502 comments Perhaps they could all get 1 point?

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread