The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > 5 Star Reads

Comments (showing 51-100 of 435) (435 new)    post a comment »

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) yes ma'am.

Hopefully the other 5+ books I've already added to my TBR list this morning will be too. LOL.

message 52: by Karen (last edited Mar 12, 2009 06:24PM) (new)

Karen (karenvwrites) | 112 comments The Thornbirds
Where The Heart is
Sisterhood series by Fern Michaels
Chesapeake series by Nora Roberts
The Immigrants Series Howard Fast

Jeane | 4888 comments Laura and Allison, i am looking forward to hear what you think about it!!!!!And about the rest of his books!:-)))

Fiona (bookcoop) It is. :) Trust me. *pokes Jeane*

Rora Here's my most recent five star ratings...

The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield
Lud-In-The-Mist by Hope Mirrlees
The Orphan's Tales: In the Night Garden by Catherynne M. Valente
The Orphan's Tales: In the Cities of Coin and Spice by Catherynne M. Valente

Glenn Howdy -- I'm new here.

My five stars for this year so far:
The Martian Chronicles by Ray Bradbury
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
Life with Jeeves by P.G. Wodehouse

Laura (apenandzen) I'll let you know Jeane - I browsed the first couple pages on Amazon, and it really reminded me of Prodigal Summer what with the wolves and the love story and all. I don't think he writes quite as lyrically as Kingsolver, but there are definite similarities there.

YAY

An author I haven't read!!

Fiona (bookcoop) It's brill Laura! You really must read it, ASAP after Howl and An Air that Kills obviously. ;)

Laura (apenandzen) Those 2 are still waitlist. I can get The Loop tomorrow. But I have to finish Lion, Witch & Wardrobe first. Will be tomorrow or next day before I'm done that one.

Fiona (bookcoop) Blast that waiting list. Least they're not getting dusty.

Laura (apenandzen) I can get The Loop on audio and paper tomorrow! Hard to resist that combo.

message 62: by Gavin (last edited Feb 17, 2009 05:34PM) (new)

Gavin (Gavin9) I don't give out 5 stars very often. Recent books:

The Oxford Project
The Graveyard Book
The Library At Night

Fiona (bookcoop) Laura wrote: "I can get The Loop on audio and paper tomorrow! Hard to resist that combo."

I can't wait till you read it Laura.

Laura (apenandzen) You won't have to wait long!

*pushes Colony at bird*

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments The Ice Queen BY Alice Hoffman

Heather (hsditto) Cynthia wrote: "The Ice Queen BY Alice Hoffman"

I saw this one the other day on the clearance rack and passed it by - I'm kicking myself now! I have only read one of Hoffman's books, The Third Angel, and really liked it.

Jeane | 4888 comments Laura wrote: "I'll let you know Jeane - I browsed the first couple pages on Amazon, and it really reminded me of Prodigal Summer what with the wolves and the love story and all. I don't think he writes quite as..."

Laura, Prodigal summer is for now the only fiction, non-crime book that comes near the level of Nicholas Evans for me.

Jeane | 4888 comments Laura wrote: "You won't have to wait long!

*pushes Colony at bird*"

You got it....???:-)

Fiona (bookcoop) They only have the audio cassette version in my library. :( Stupid library. I mean who has bloody cassette players nowadays? You'd be hard pressed to find a CD player.

Jim | 26 comments Fiona wrote: "They only have the audio cassette version in my library. :( Stupid library. I mean who has bloody cassette players nowadays? You'd be hard pressed to find a CD player."

I got a boombox at Walmart recently for $44 that plays cassettes as well as CDs and that was one of the reasons I bought it
if You want to know the brand, let me know and I'll send it to You tomorrow or whenever as I don't remember what it is

Kandice | 3430 comments I have a lot of books on tape left over from my husband's and my road trips in our youth. I recently bought a little cassette player with headphones, no radio, for $7 at WalMart. I love some of those books and had no other way to listen to them!

Laura (apenandzen) Jeane wrote: "Laura wrote: "You won't have to wait long!

*pushes Colony at bird*"

You got it....???:-)"

It's coming today - pony express in my husband's trusty bag from the library.

I will be starting it when I finish The Stupidest Angel, which I hope will be by the end of the week/weekend.

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice wrote: "I have a lot of books on tape left over from my husband's and my road trips in our youth. I recently bought a little cassette player with headphones, no radio, for $7 at WalMart. I love some of tho..."

No excuses now Miss BookPusher!

;)

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) I just discovered that I can get a state library card and download audio books to my iPhone for free from the internet...I'm pretty excited about it, I'm going to try to get a card today.

Laura (apenandzen) I do that all the time, Allison, it's great. In my case, it goes to my MP3, which is perfect to keep by my bed when I wake up and can't get back to sleep in the middle of the night. Having a book on that is perfect, it doesn't disturb anyone, and I can lay there and listen and fall back to sleep.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) that is really nice!

I downloaded an audio book *cough* illegally once, but it was SUPER annoying because it wasn't split up at all and I kept losing my place.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) other than that, I've only ever listened to a couple on long road trips...so I'm excited to have access to some so I can use them while I walk the dog and such!

Laura (apenandzen) My MP3 just picks off from where it left off automatically, but I don't think all of them do that. That would be annoying tho...

Kandice | 3430 comments How is there enough room for a whole book? The one I am listening to now, is 14 hours long, and while I think there's enough room, there wouldn't be room for a lot else. Do you erase it when you finish the book?

Linda | 888 comments Allison wrote: "I just discovered that I can get a state library card and download audio books to my iPhone for free from the internet...I'm pretty excited about it, I'm going to try to get a card today."

Allison, I do that with my MP3 from our local library and it is absolutely amazing how much money you save.

Linda | 888 comments Kandice wrote: "How is there enough room for a whole book? The one I am listening to now, is 14 hours long, and while I think there's enough room, there wouldn't be room for a lot else. Do you erase it when you fi..."

Kandice, My MP3 is 2 gig and that seems to be enough for about 5-6 books. Occasionally, I have to off load one book in favor of another, but not too bad. The main thing is if I don't like the book or the reader, no harm no foul since it was free.

Joanna Compton-Mys (ColdSnap) | 101 comments Heather wrote: "Cynthia wrote: "The Ice Queen BY Alice Hoffman"

I saw this one the other day on the clearance..."

I loved that book, as I've loved all other books I've read by her!

Jessica | 1000 comments I just devoured The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer. Definitely a 5 star read. I really enjoy Meltzer's style of writing.

Laura (apenandzen) Kandice wrote: "How is there enough room for a whole book? The one I am listening to now, is 14 hours long, and while I think there's enough room, there wouldn't be room for a lot else. Do you erase it when you fi..."

Mine has a fair amount of room on it Kandice, like 20 or 30GB, something like that. I'm way into music, so...

message 85: by Esther (last edited Feb 24, 2009 10:18PM) (new)

Esther (eshchory) | 497 comments Leila wrote: "I don't really give that many five stars. Four and three stars though, I do..."

I even have some books on my favourites shelves that I didn't give 5 stars to!
5 stars has to be a book that changed me in some way. Not in the philosophical sense of 'It changed my life' but in that it put me in some one else's life for a while - made me feel I had lived those experiences.
Many books are nice and fun to read but they still don't get a 5.

Stephanie | 413 comments I have to add The Lies of Locke Lamora (Gentleman Bastard, #1)
by Scott Lynch...it is so good far exceeding my expectations!!!

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Jessica wrote: "I just devoured The Book of Lies by Brad Meltzer. Definitely a 5 star read. I really enjoy Meltzer's style of writing."

I've mentioned this on the site before - but I saw Beltzer at the National Book Festival talking about Book of Lies - he was by far the best speaker I heard all day there (out of like 15) or so. I still have yet to read it but was intrigued to after hearing him talk.

Laura (apenandzen) The Brass Verdict! You must read it!

Michael Connelly is the best for courtroom dramas and suspense-filled mysteries.

Jessica (bitsy55) | 3 comments I loved Prodigal Summer by Barbara Kingslover. Loved it! Another favorite is Wish You Well by David Baldacci. It is not your typical Baldacci novel. It kind of has that "To Kill A Mockingbird" feel to it.

Lynai My recent 5 star read: THE BOOK THIEF. I cried. I can't believe it.

message 92: by Cynthia (last edited Feb 26, 2009 04:57AM) (new)

Cynthia (PandoraPhoebesMom) | 1830 comments The Help by Kathryn Stockett really amazing story set during the civil rights era. Author is a goodreads author.

Rebbie | 140 comments I loved AHAB'S WIFE. I read it a few years ago and still think about it.

Elizabeth wrote: "This is a great thread. I see many of my favorites here, such as:

[b:I Know This Much Is True|227711|I Know This Much Is True |Wally Lamb|http://photo.goodreads.com/books/1172...|..."

April (escapegal) | 130 comments Jessica Z was a five-star for me. It had some twists that I didn't expect!

Heather (hsditto) I bought Ahab's Wife a couple months ago at the used bookstore. It looks like it will be such a good book! I'm really excited about it now that I hear it's 5-star worthy :)

Linda | 888 comments Laura wrote: "The Brass Verdict! You must read it!

Michael Connelly is the best for courtro..."

Just started reading it and already hooked.

Cindy (cyndil62) | 253 comments My newest five stars are The Thirteenth Tale A Novel and The Gargoyle. Love to see everyone else's; excited that Outlander made it to so many lists, I just got it from the library.

Claire (Clairebear8) | 469 comments Wow, there are some really good books on here and ones I have read long ago and would have forgotten. For instance, The Thorn Birds. Someone listed that and that WAS a great book! I think I read it back in the 80's.

Some of my 5-stars:

Memoirs of a Geisha
To Kill a Mockingbird
Lonesome Dove
Redeeming Love (by Francine Rivers)
The Pillars of the Earth

....and these are just a few!

JG (The Introverted Reader) Ahab's Wife was a 5-star book for me also. It's one of my very favorite books.

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments I gave five stars to The Book Thief, Water for Elephants, and The Hobbit.