The Next Best Book Club discussion

note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Other Novels To Discuss > Princess Bride by William Goldman

Comments (showing 1-50 of 66) (66 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments So I just finished this book - and I must say I give a tip of my hat to Mr. Goldman - he totally had me going on the whole Simon Morgenstern thing. And the country of Florin for that matter. I was dubbed hook line and sinker.

Did anyone one else fall for this? Or am I just to gullible to live?

-- Wife of GR author Michael J. Sullivan: The Crown Conspiracy (10/08) | Avempartha (04/09)

message 2: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments I have to admit, I fell for it too. My husband will never let me live it down. I know Andre the Giant's daughter (we went to school together), and I was ready to call her and ask if her dad had really climbed the Cliffs of Insanity.

Hook, line, and sinker. I would be more ashamed of myself if I didn't have the comfort of knowing that my vivid imagination (which makes me gullible) also makes me charming and creative. I like that I can escape that much into a story, but still have the common sense at the end to Google it and find out if it is true, just to make sure. It actually broke my heart a little bit to find out that it wasn't real. But when I gave the book to my little sister to read, I kept the fact that it was fake to myself so that she could really enjoy the book too.

message 3: by Justine (new)

Justine (paperbackheart) I really fell for the Morgenstern bit and I decided to never tell anyone, haha.
The country of Florin was plausible and almost got me - I mean there's a map of it in the book and everything! I didn't believe it in a way like the Cliffs of Insanity were there, but that maybe it was still a real place and they really loved the Princess Bride so they had the museum.

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments I was amazed that he said such awful stuff about his "wife" Helen (cold, heartless woman) and his "son" (fat and always will be). I was like --- wow how can I guy this jaded be in love with this book.

message 5: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments I was pretty much fooled too! I thought it was something that COULD have happened a long, long time ago, anyway. I remember feeling uncomfortable with the negative comments about his wife and son too, but later, after being "enlightened" realizing it was probably just all in the fun of this make believe world. Why not say something you never really would? Right?
Wouldn't it be cool to have Faul read this story out loud to you?

message 6: by Tera Marie (new)

Tera Marie (teradugan) | 111 comments Well, I'm feeling silly for not being fooled. But it is one of my favorite books and movies of all time!! I was fooled when I read Memoirs of a Geisha, though. I thought that was a true story until I reached the end and had so many questions that I started looking things up on the net to find the story wasn't real at all although it does follow historical events.

message 7: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments I was really relieved to find out that he doesn't even have a son. I think he has a couple of daughters.

message 8: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments I never understood the controversy over Memoirs of a Geisha. It wasn't shelved with non-fiction, and it was a terrifically entertaining read. I didn't care if it was true or not. He did tons of research, so it was at least somewhat accurate, ad I sure got lost in the story.

message 9: by April (new)

April (booksandwine) | 954 comments Inconcievable!

Love, love love this book. I saw the movie before I read the book, so I didn't fall for anything. Oh, but I loved it.
So are you totally in love with Wesley now?
And who was your favorite character?
I really enjoyed Inigo Montoya's backstory!!

message 10: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments I enjoyed the Inigo Montoya back story too. After reading it I really felt like the got the perfect guy to play the part. I have to say that my favorite character was always Miracle Max. But that could also be because I saw the movie. "He's not dead, he's just mostly dead." I loved Billy Crystal in that part. The whole story is pure genius.

I actually bought the book for my daughter because she loved the movie so much. But I decided to pick it up and read it first. A good thing too because she was only 7 and the book was way to mature for her. But I loved every second.

message 11: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments Kandice wrote: "I never understood the controversy over Memoirs of a Geisha. It wasn't shelved with non-fiction, and it was a terrifically entertaining read. I didn't care if it was true or not. He did tons of res..."

I didn't know that there was a controversy over the book. What was the controversy exactly? Did people think he was trying to pass it off as if it were non-fiction?

message 12: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments Yes, and if you read any reviews on here, almost all of them mention the fact that he was a man, and obviously not a Geisha. I wasn't aware of it until I read thoser eviews, but was amazed as I read more and more. It was a little irritating to me, because like I said, it's in the fiction section, and his name is right there on the spine!!!!

message 13: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) That's pretty much exactly what people thought, Rachel.

message 14: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments Indigo Montoya is my favorite too! I love how he says "My name is...." It gets me everytime I watch. I also love, how, in that one scene, he calls him a son of a b@#!h. It's the only instance and it makes it so much more intense! This is one of those movies I will always stop and watch if I see it flipping through channels. I always laugh out loud too!!!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I've only seen the movie. Perhaps I should see if my library has the book.

message 16: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments BriansGirl wrote: "I've only seen the movie. Perhaps I should see if my library has the book."

You really should! It's a super quick read too, so it's perfect between more serious books.

message 17: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) I have this book at home and will be reading it soon. I just popped in because I saw Rachel's comment about "Memoirs of a Geisha" on my update feed. :)

Be back later to discuss!

message 18: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments Kandice wrote: "Yes, and if you read any reviews on here, almost all of them mention the fact that he was a man, and obviously not a Geisha. I wasn't aware of it until I read thoser eviews, but was amazed as I rea..."

How funny. Was it because it had the word "Memoirs" in the title?

message 19: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments I guess, but that's really a little silly, isn't it? I read The True and Fabulous Adventures of the Hunt Sisters, but I certainly didn't think it was TRUE!!!!!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) OKay, I just made a snow run to the library before it closed for the night. lol I now have their copy of "The Princess Bride, S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure". Long title. lol This is the 25th anniversary edition and includes the first chapter of the long-lost sequel, "Buttercup's Baby".

message 21: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments That is the one I have too. It is good.

message 22: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments No fair! I do not have that in my version! I have had this sad little paperback for years and years. It is obviously very well loved (I know you guys know what I mean). I think I deserve a new one. THAT one!!!!!

message 23: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 13, 2009 04:06PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) What I find interesting is that goodreads doesn't have "Buttercup's Baby" listed as a book. So is "Includes the first chapter of the long-lost sequel, Buttercup's Baby" a teaser for a book not yet or ever written? This 25th anniversary printing was from back in 1998. He's had time. lol

And did you know the author won two academy awards for his screenplays for "Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid" and "All the President's Men". He wrote the the book and screenplay for "The Princess Bride" and "Marathon Man". He wrote screenplays for "Misery", "Maverick", "A Bridge Too Far", "The Stepford Wives", and many others. Says inside the books cover that he wrote 15 fiction, 8 non-fiction, 19 screenplays, 2 plays, and 2 children's books.

message 24: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments I looked it up. It's not a real book, so the "teaser" is all you can ever hope to get!!! That is so funny and classic.

message 25: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 13, 2009 04:44PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) From the library's 25th anniversary edition:

"Buttercup's Baby. S. Morgenstern's Glorious Examination of Courage Matched Against The Death of the Heart." Chapter One is 50 pages and titled "Fezzik Dies". The book portion of Buttercup's Baby is preceeded by a 24 page "Buttercup's Baby - An Explanation". So all in all, this adds 74 pages to the book.

The Explanation portion starts...

"You're probably wondering why I only abridged the first chapter. The answer is simple: I was not allowed to do more. The following explanation is kind of personal...." (The italicized text is as it appears in the book.)

message 26: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments I have to admit that I totally fell for the whole Morganstern bit and the hateful husband/father routine. Quite frankly I found the asides distracting. The story is so great that I actually think the ploy (funny and clever as it may be) didn't add to the book. This may be why I think, as good as the book is, that I actually prefer the movie.

message 27: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments You mean Fezzik dies????!!!!!!

message 28: by Mari Anne (new)

Mari Anne | 35 comments Oh... funny story along the lines of the "Memoirs of a Geisha" thread. A friend of mine was CRUSHED when she found out that "Bridges of Madison County" wasn't a true story. Somehow she missed the fact that the cover of the book clearly states "A NOVEL". I still tease her about that!

message 29: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments My mother does that all the time. She will fall in love with a book's characters, and then just be so disapointed when she realizes they aren't real. I tease her too, because if we go to the library or book store, she ONLY looks in the fiction section! Fiction = Made up. Silly, silly girl!

message 30: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 13, 2009 05:03PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I have no idea if Fezzik dies or not. I havn't read the first chapter of Buttercup's Baby yet, but that's what the chapter is titled. (I figured I should read The Princess Bride first. lol Although I am actually starting with the Buttercup's Baby - An Explanation first. lol

message 31: by Kandice (new)

Kandice | 3530 comments BriansGirl wrote: "I have no idea if Fezzik dies or not. I havn't read the first chapter of Buttercup's Baby yet, but that's what the chapter is titled. (I figured I should read The Princess Bride first. lol Although..."

I think you're just so excited to get it your all discombobulated!!!!!!

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I wondered if I read the explanation if it would explain why the rest of the book was never published. lol (It's not)

message 33: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9043 comments Mod
This was such a great book for those who really love the movie. For the most part, it follows the movie so closely, word for word, line for line, while giving you so much more depth and insight into each one.

I didnt fall for the fake story in the story with this one. I wonder if that took anything away from the reading of it.... hmmmmm....

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) If you saw the movie before reading the book, I don't think you'd fall for it. I'm starting it now. I read the entire Buttercup's Baby explanation first. lol Now on the regular book's intro (16 pages long.)

message 35: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments I did see the movie first. I'd been watching the movie for 20 years before I read it. I just thought that it was a creative adaptation. Maybe I just wanted to believe it was true, but I think that made it more enjoyable.

message 36: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (KellyMorgan) | 2 comments I have this book in my bookcase to be read as well. I love the movie though.

message 37: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Rachel wrote: "I enjoyed the Inigo Montoya back story too. After reading it I really felt like the got the perfect guy to play the part. I have to say that my favorite character was always Miracle Max. But tha..."

No question the casting on this movie was spot on perfect - Both Carol Kane and Billy Crystal were fabulous.

message 38: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments BriansGirl wrote: "OKay, I just made a snow run to the library before it closed for the night. lol I now have their copy of "The Princess Bride, S. Morgenstern's Classic Tale of True Love and High Adventure". Long ti..."

LOL - I have you one upped-I have the 30th aniversary version ;-)

message 39: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Mari Anne wrote: "I have to admit that I totally fell for the whole Morganstern bit and the hateful husband/father routine. Quite frankly I found the asides distracting. The story is so great that I actually think..."

Well when I thought the asides were real - I found it entertaining - especially the one about the packing and all the pages that were cut with packing and unpacking. Now that I know what they really are I think they are Brilliant!! What a great device.

message 40: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments Kandice wrote: "My mother does that all the time. She will fall in love with a book's characters, and then just be so disapointed when she realizes they aren't real. I tease her too, because if we go to the library or book store, she ONLY looks in the fiction section! Fiction = Made up. Silly, silly girl!..."

Ya but in this case you expect the story "The Princess Bride to be fiction - but the "asides" with him being sick and his father reading to him. And him arguing with his editor over what stays and what goes .... are so first person - and have such a realistic perspective - him talking to Stephen King and taking his grandson to the museum... that you really have no reason to suspect this too is fiction.

message 41: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments BriansGirl wrote: "If you saw the movie before reading the book, I don't think you'd fall for it."

Well I saw the movie before reading the book and I definitely fell for it. In fact the movie made me fall for it more because there was the whole reading to the grandson thing - so when he was trying desperately to get a copy for his son's birthday in NY while he was working on a movie in LA - I thought for sure it was real.

message 42: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments So Buttercup's baby - IMO is really really bad. I can't imagine he'll ever write that sequel the first one was so good - and his attempt at starting a sequel was so off the mark that I can't imagine he can strike twice with that lightning. I did like the whole farce with him and Stephen King arguing over who getst to write the abridged version of the fitional Buttercup's baby though.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) He seems to throw just enough truth into his side stories to make you believe the crap he's thrown in, that's the trouble. Like with arguing with Stephen King over who gets to write the sequel. The author really did write the screenplay to "Misery", and Stephen King is a real person. That much is true, but the rest is mostly made up. (No idea about the Kathy Bates story though. lol) Personally, I find this insulting to the audience/reader.

message 44: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments I don't understand why you find it insulting to the audience. Stephen King is a good friend of his and was in on the joke. Stephen King has a whole section about Buttercup's Baby on his website. When I went looking for information, it was easy to find. He wasn't keeping it a big secret. Not only that, once you have read it, there is something fun about being in on the joke. It is a fiction book and it was meant to be fun. If you want to read something not fun, there are some really un-fun biographies of Hitler I can recommend.

message 45: by ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (last edited Feb 14, 2009 01:49PM) (new)

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) Obviously you find my post offensive Rachel. I just didn't like the author's joke to be on me, the reader of his book. I thought it was bad taste. I don't care if Stephen King was in on the joke, I didn't care for it. We are suppose to be discussing the book, which includes wether we like it or not. You bringing Hitler into this was uncalled for, and quite frankly, I find that offensive.

message 46: by Rachel (last edited Feb 14, 2009 03:12PM) (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments Lol, wow. First of all, if you can express an opinion, so can I. Secondly, I did not intend to offend you with my reference to Hitler. I did not compare you to Hitler, I stated that if you don't want to read things that are fun, I know some REALLY not fun books about Hitler. Which, by the way, I have actually read so I can state authoritatively that they were not fun. I apologize for offending you.

message 47: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments Also, really quick, I was being funny which clearly did not come across in my post. I forget sometimes that inflection cannot be translated to forums such as this. For that, I apologize also.

ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ (BriansGirlKate) I wasn't objecting to your opinion, just your reference that I should read about Hitler instead. I have read them and I don't consider it to be a topic to joke about, and your statement did not come across as a joke. Apology accepted.

message 49: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9043 comments Mod
Phew. I thought this was going to get hairy for a moment.

Rachel, I can see where one would get offended being referred to read material about Hitler. And I understand that what we mean to say doesnt always come across that way in writing.

It may be a good idea to proofread posts prior to submitting them. If you feel a twinge of uncertainity when reading it back, its probably a good sign that it needs to be reworded.

Thanks for being aware of that, and conducting yourselves as the true ladies you are. (Anyone who remembers BEV will know why I get so nervous!)

message 50: by Rachel (new)

Rachel (RachelSessum) | 859 comments Lori, sometimes my husband tells me that someone should check on my internal editor to make sure that he is still alive, and if he IS still alive, he should be shot. Sigh. Believe it or not, I am better than I used to be.

« previous 1
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Avempartha (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Michael J. Sullivan (other topics)