Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Policies & Practices > Different titles, same book

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Erin (new)

Erin | 8 comments This may only be an issue with a subset of children's books, but here goes:

Particularly with older children's books, different editions may have been given updated titles, either for more modern editions, or when the book makes the jump from the UK to the US or back again. A good example is Noel Streatfeild's Shoes series: all of the US books are given names that are "___ Shoes" (Circus Shoes, Ballet Shoes, etc.). The originals, from the UK, sometimes have other titles (the original White Boots became Skating Shoes in the US, for example). This also happens with some of children's series that extend over a great deal of time/many authors (the Bobbsey Twins and Happy Hollisters series have varying titles).

My inclination would be to combine them, just going by the rule that's been set up for translations, and since they're the same contentwise, but I'll hold off on doing that until people have had a chance to give opinions.

message 2: by Nicolás (new)

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren (reosarevok) I'd combine them. Translations have different names too, after all, and we're combining them, so why not?
Then, if we get that 'change the name of the combination' feature, you could put it like 'xxx (zzz in the UK)' or something like that, if you want to, I guess.

message 3: by Kate (new)

Kate (kate-schmate) | 6 comments I agree, too. I deliberated the same question when I shelved Agatha Christie's mystery which I read under the title "Murder in Retrospect" (later retitled something lame).

Important as the title is, it's really what's inside that counts. (Awww.)

message 4: by Femmy (new)

Femmy | 26 comments I agree. "Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone" is combined with "Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone", as well as its other translated titles in various languages.

message 5: by Elizabeth, Chief Wordsmith (new)

Elizabeth | 13 comments Mod
I agree as well. I couple of times I've wondered if I missed a book by a favorite author (particularly with children's books). I think it's helpful when you find out that the two books are the same, just under different titles. E

message 6: by Elijah (new)

Elijah Kinch Spector (ElijahKinchSpector) | 2 comments I was wondering the same for Alfred Bester's The Stars My Destination, which originally had the... odd name of Tiger! Tiger! (no idea why). I guess the consensus is to combine them, good to know!

message 7: by Nicolás (new)

Nicolás Tamargo de Eguren (reosarevok) It was because of the Blake poem which opens the book, IIRC ;)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (other topics)