The Sword and Laser discussion

Gail Carriger
This topic is about Gail Carriger
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Author Questions > Questions for Gail Carriger?

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 736 comments Mod
Gail Carriger will be sailing with us on our next author's guide show. Want us to ask her a burning question of yours? Post it here!

message 2: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 736 comments Mod
Word to the wise, she's answered a lot of questions before!

http://gailcarriger.com/faq.php

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1114 comments Gee, there's not much left to ask.

Bob Chadwick | 37 comments That's what I thought. She's been asked it all, even questions I never thought of, so there is only one question to ask.

If she could choose between a mythological creature as a pet, would it be a unicorn, a pegasus, or unicorn-a-pegasus which would it be? Also what color? Because mine would be red so that colors got dibs on it, also white is cliche.

Bob Chadwick | 37 comments No wait I thought of another one. Which Back to the Future is her favorite? Trick question, because its got to be part 3 what with the Steampunk Train and all.

Michael | 6 comments Has she considered writing a novel with an archeologist character drawing from her own experiences or would that be too weird?

Tamahome | 4498 comments What is your favorite flavor of bubble tea?

terpkristin | 2848 comments Is she a bubble tea enthusiast?

What is the best book she has read this year?

What was the book in the genre that made her love it? Does she love it?

What book could she read over and over (and over...) again?

What book has been her most favorite/interesting/recommended that she read this year?

What book is she most looking forward to, one with a known publication date?

Does she have time to watch TV? If yes, what show(s) are grabbing her?

If someone were to make a movie of her life, who would play her? Who would play her evil twin?

Sorry some of these may be on the FAQ, it was super-long and I may have missed some...

Tamahome | 4498 comments She likes bubble tea. Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm5It-...

message 10: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2717 comments Mod
Tamahome wrote: "She likes bubble tea. Exhibit A: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm5It-..."

Heh. Amusing story.

Beth | 11 comments What steampunky invention would you like to incorporate into your daily life?

Neil | 165 comments She seems to have a big love for both Victorian period drama and Science Fiction. If Steampunk didn't exist as a genre to combine the two which genre does she think she would have ended up writing in?

She also says she has some unpublished works from before she got her first steampunk novel published. Were those stories period drama/sci fi/ steampunk or something completely different?

Dawn | 2 comments How did you go about researching the material for your books? What is your favorite tea? Do you like treacle tart?

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1114 comments What is treacle tart?

Dawn | 2 comments Treacle tart is a traditional English dessert. It is made using shortcrust pastry, with a thick filling made of golden syrup, also known as light treacle, breadcrumbs, and lemon juice. The tart is normally served hot or warm with a scoop of clotted cream, ordinary cream, ice cream or custard. Some more recent recipes add cream or eggs to make a softer filling.

In the Harry Potter series, Harry's favourite dessert is treacle tart, a dessert often found at the Hogwarts feasts.

This dessert is also featured in the movie Chitty Chitty Bang Bang. The childcatcher, in an attempt to lure out the children from the basement, calls out that he is giving away free sweets. His mention of free treacle tarts is the selling point for the boy, convincing him to be lured out into the street.

"Treacle tart" is Cockney rhyming slang for "sweetheart".

It is also Alexia's favorite.

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1114 comments That's looks awful! I don't like things that are too sweet.

terpkristin | 2848 comments Yeah, treacle tart reminds me a bit of pecan pie without the pecans. Too sweet for me...especially in a slice that large!

Caitlin | 163 comments What was Gail's reaction when she learned she was featured on the Vaginal Fantasy book club?

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1114 comments terpkristin wrote: "Yeah, treacle tart reminds me a bit of pecan pie without the pecans. Too sweet for me...especially in a slice that large!"
That's a good description. I can understand that.

Jenny (Reading Envy) (readingenvy) | 1818 comments When I made treacle tart, I found it to be not-too-sweet and a sophisticated taste with the ginger and lemon going on. Harry Potter's favorite dessert, you know. (Always happy to go on a baked goods tangent....)

I think a standard question for our author interviews should be "sword or laser?" both as a reader and writer. Then we can tally them up.

Owen Crabtree | 6 comments which one of your books would you recommend to someone to introduce them to your writing?

Amy | 1 comments Do you have any writing rituals?

Beth Kuchar | 1 comments As a huge fan of Ms. Carriger's steam-centric universe, I would be curious to know what a self-proclaimed technophobe sees in store for books and publishing in the near future!

Keith (Teleport-City) | 258 comments What does she think of the modern dandy movement? Or of the fact that Casual Friday has become formal compared to the modern American dress code?

When do we get an Alexia Tarabotti/ Amelia Peabody/Adele Blanc-sec justice league team-up?

Her books deal very fairly and entertainingly with gay and lesbian characters. What are her thoughts on the current struggle to get gay, lesbian, and well, just female characters, creators, and fans more accepted and more involved in fandom?

This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread