South African Book Lovers discussion

Soulless (Parasol Protectorate, #1)
This topic is about Soulless
Retired Topics > The Parasol Protectorate Challenge

Comments (showing 1-41 of 41) (41 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Barbara (last edited Oct 01, 2012 12:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Barbara | 4407 comments Mod
This year we again have a themed challenge based on a series and this year we have chosen for the Parasol Protectorate series by Gail Carriger, consisting of 5 books: Soulless, Changeless, Blameless, Heartless and Timeless. The challenge will run from 1 November 2012 until 31 October 2013.

This year the themed challenge will not be a group challenge but it will be an individual challenge. This due to the fact that interest in a group challenge seems to decrease. A team challenge can also be very frustrating for participants when they read a lot for their team and the other team members don’t. To make it a bit different than the other year challenges we have thought of a twist to make it interesting.

The challenge will consists of 25 tasks based on the 5 books in the series. Each task will give you 1 point. Every 5 points earned will get you a new rank. The 5 ranks that you can earn are:
Ghost
Head of BUR
Dewan
Potentate
Muhjah
A 6th rank can be earned by reading the 5 books in the series. This 6th rank is of course:
Soul Stealer
The challenge will be completed by reading all 25 tasks. Reading the 5 books in the series will only get you bonus points and will only start counting towards your total once you have finished the regular tasks.

The tasks in this challenge will be given out in 5 groups with a catch up session at the end.
On 25 October 2012 I will post tasks 1-5. You will then have from 1 November 2012 until 31 December 2012 to read these 5 books. You can update your progress in the thread that will be made for this purpose. On 4 January 2013 this thread will be closed for updates and you can no longer read for these 5 tasks.
On 24 December 2012 I will post tasks 6-10. You will then have from 1 January 2013 until 28 February to read these 5 books. You can update your progress in the thread that will be made for this purpose. On 4 March 2013 this thread will be closed for updates and you can no longer read for these 5 tasks.
On 22 February 2013 I will post tasks 11-15. You will then have from 1 March 2013 until 30 April 2013 to read these 5 books. You can update your progress in the thread that will be made for this purpose. On 4 May 2013 this thread will be closed for updates and you can no longer read for these 5 tasks.
On 24 April 2013 I will post tasks 16-20. You will then have from 1 May 2013 until 30 June 2013 to read these 5 books. You can update your progress in the thread that will be made for this purpose. On 4 July 2013 this thread will be closed for updates and you can no longer read for these 5 tasks.
On 24 June 2013 I will post tasks 21-25. You will then have from 1 July 2013 until 31 October 2013 to read these 5 books. You can update your progress in the thread that will be made for this purpose. This thread will not be closed.
On 1 September 2013 I will open all previous closed discussions and you can read any tasks that you might have missed on the first try. So if for example you didn’t get a chance to read a book for task 3 in November-December 2012 now is your chance. You will have until 31 October 2013 to read whatever task is still open.
You can read the bonus books throughout the year, but as said their point will only start to count when you have completed the challenge. So you don’t have to read the books to enjoy this challenge but it will make it more fun and might help you to understand the ranks and some of the tasks.

I hope you will join us in this challenge and maybe get to know a new and exciting series.

Good Luck and Happy Reading!

And of course I am in!

message 3: by Lauren (new) - added it

Lauren Smith | 6763 comments Mod
Obviously I'm in :) Can't wait to start!

What inspired the unusual structure for the challenge?

I saw that in the current group challenge there were a lot of people just not participating and that was frustrating other members and since a challenge should be fun I thought to drop the team challenge aspect of the themed challenge. After talking to Lu she agreed, but she wanted something else to make this challenge stand out from the Year Challenges and not be just one of many challenges. So I thought of something that could be done with it and I was inspired by the Choose Wisely challenge where you don't know what your next task is going to be. Like here you only have a week to find books before you can start reading them.
This also solves the problem of annoying people like myself and Lauren F who can finish challenges with 25 tasks in 2 months frustrating those people who take the whole year. This way we will all be engaged for the complete year in this challenge. At least that is my hope.

message 5: by Lauren (new) - added it

This also solves the problem of annoying people like myself and Lauren F who can finish challenges with 25 tasks in 2 months frustrating those people who take the whole year.

Hahaha, good plan :)

I like the task reveal too. I always get excited about new challenge tasks, but normally you only get to experience that at the beginning of the challenge.

Now you will have that 5 times in just one challenge. :)
It is just a new twist we are trying, maybe something we can use in other challenges that I am already thinking of, but these ideas are still too young to expose to the big scary world.

Lu (Sugar & Snark) | 10562 comments Mod
Can't wait!

message 8: by Lauren (new) - added it

However, I have to say that the suspense is killing me! Can't believe you posted all these tantalising updates only to let us know that nothing will be revealed for over three weeks!

Sorry, just wanted to let you know this challenge is coming. I was under the impression that that was what I was supposed to do: announce a new challenge before it starts. :)
Besides you are way too busy with the Life of Pi and in a couple of weeks Contact to worry about this little old challenge.

message 10: by Lauren (new) - added it

You're assuming that I'm practical about these things.

Sorry, my mistake, won't do it again! Or will I!? :D

message 12: by Lauren (new) - added it

:)

Claudia (claudiavstoomanybooks) | 1779 comments Mod
Squeee! I get to re-read my favourite series and participate in a challenge based on it. I can't wait.
I think the "reveal" is an excellent idea, Barbara. :)

I have only read the first one, but I plan on reading them all for this :)

Claudia wrote: "Squeee! I get to re-read my favourite series and participate in a challenge based on it. I can't wait.
I think the "reveal" is an excellent idea, Barbara. :)"

Thanks! I hope you like the tasks I came up with. Although most you will expect because you are familiar with the series. :)

Varla Fiona (Trogs) | 1286 comments Yay, this looks like fun!

message 17: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1070 comments I started reading this book awhile ago but for some reason I couldntgetinto it. I might consider having another go as I would like to join in the challenge.

message 18: by Lauren (new) - added it

Despite my good intentions I never even got started with this series, but hopefully I will now.

Emma wrote: "I started reading this book awhile ago but for some reason I couldntgetinto it. I might consider having another go as I would like to join in the challenge."

Well that is the good thing of this challenge: if you want you can read the series and earn bonus points but for the challenge itself you don't have to read the books. :)

Lauren wrote: Despite my good intentions I never even got started with this series, but hopefully I will now.

I hope so too, because it is a really good series.

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) | 1257 comments Mod
Ok again I am a little late on the up take. But I’m still very excited!
You guys should think about doing a little more marketing for the less observant group members (like me) if Lu hadn’t mentioned this challenge to me yesterday it would have passed me by!
I love the new format even if it is designed specifically to hinder annoying people like me! lol

message 21: by Barbara (last edited Oct 14, 2012 04:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

It is not to hinder you but keep you engaged for the whole year!

I am sure Lu will mention this challenge in her mail when November starts.

Lol I don't think Lauren reads the mail :P

@Barbara~I know I was only joking, I think it is an awesome ideas!

@Lu~ I skim your "spam" so maybe you should put the important stuff first and leave the random happy birthdays until the end :-)

Lauren (Sugar & Snark) wrote: "@Barbara~I know I was only joking, I think it is an awesome ideas!

@Lu~ I skim your "spam" so maybe you should put the important stuff first and leave the random happy birthdays until the end :-)"

Thanks, so glad you like the idea!
I know, I was just teasing you. It will hinder me too. Even though I made up the tasks, but I will use a randomizer to select which 5 are going to be used for each month. So even if I do know the tasks I won't know which ones will come up next. :)

message 25: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris (Bibliofilebk) I am new to the group (and not South African, sorry, but I know people who live there - does that count??)

Anyway, how do I participate in this challenge? I have read the series and LOVE it, so I'm excited to revisit it.

You don't have to be South African. I myself am Dutch and have never even been to South Africa. The most important attribute you have got to have to join this group is a love of books and reading. :)

To participate in this challenge just watch the announcements and then read the tasks as they are announced. It will start in two weeks. :)
The rules of this challenge are explained in message 1. When you read a book for this challenge just let us know in the discussion in which the task was announced. If this confuses you let me know or you can wait and see what everybody else does.
Welcome to the group and the challenge. :)

Yeah Kris you are more then welcome to join. You can be another honorary South African :-)

message 28: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1070 comments Kris wrote: "I am new to the group (and not South African, sorry, but I know people who live there - does that count??)

Anyway, how do I participate in this challenge? I have read the series and LOVE it, so I..."

I also am not South African but have lived here for 9 years now so SA is my Home. Aslong as you like reading then thats all that matters. You dont need to know what Boerwors are and like Bafana Bafana to be a member. So welcome and enjoy :-)

message 29: by Kris (new) - rated it 4 stars

Kris (Bibliofilebk) Thank you all for the welcome! I look forward to reading books with you!

message 30: by Lil (new) - rated it 5 stars

Lil Bone | 1 comments oooh sounds like fun!

message 31: by Lauren (new) - added it

Yay, tasks revealed tomorrow!

Can't wait!

I'll try to post them as early as possible. Might even be tonight at midnight. But will that be your midnight or my midnight? *evil grin*

message 34: by Lauren (new) - added it

The Netherlands and South Africa are currently in the same time zone anyway :) I'd have to wait an extra hour though.

Are they? Why? Shouldn't they be ahead?

message 36: by Lauren (new) - added it

Normally SA is one hour ahead of you, but according to the internet (timeanddate.com), you're on Daylight Saving's time or something, so you're at GMT+2. Although I realise the internet might be wrong...

You are partly right and the internet is partly wrong. :D

We do have a Daylight Saving time thing going on but that doesn't happen untill this weekend. So this Saturday Night or Sunday Morning (depending how you see it) we will set back the clock from 3 to 2 AM. We will reverse that again during the last weekend of March. Then we will set the clock forward one hour from 2 to 3 AM. Which is always annoying if that happens on 29 March because that is my dad's birthday and he is like a small child whining that he only gets 23 hours on his birthday where other people get 24 hours. :)

Just to be sure and as for a reference. It is now 12:48 here.

It is 12:57 here

message 39: by Barbara (last edited Oct 24, 2012 04:06AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

So we are only behind in winter?
I am so confused!
I always hate the switch. I don't have trouble adjusting as a lot of other people do (even the heart attack rate will go up next week), but it just confuses me with the timezones and all the clocks that have to be set right (and you always forget one). And it confuses the hell out of my cats who are used to be fed at a certain time.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma (emmauk007) | 1070 comments Not read any books in the past few days waiting for this challenge, glad to get started. :-)

Me too! I am so happy to be able to read again, I just might lock myself in and read all day! :)

unread topics | mark unread