Browncoats discussion

Following Firefly... > Nathan Fillion in Castle, new show on ABC

Comments (showing 51-74 of 74) (74 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 51: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (TDAllonsy) | 123 comments Found this on YouTube: Firefly references in Castle (through season 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsnLN...

message 52: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (TDAllonsy) | 123 comments Adam Baldwin previews his appearance on tonight's Castle episode: http://tvline.com/2012/04/15/castle-s...

So looking forward to this one.

message 53: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments Did anyone notice the little homage to Firefly at the beginning of the show? Castle is shown playing with a Barbie doll and a dinosaur which reminded me of Wash and his toy dinos. Castle even did the melodramatic dialog like Wash. When his mother walked in on him, he claimed he was rehearsing a scene for his new book.

message 54: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments Anastasia wrote: "Adam Baldwin previews his appearance on tonight's Castle episode: http://tvline.com/2012/04/15/castle-s...

So looking forward to this one."

Until I read this I totally missed the Browncoat that Castle gave Slaughter! I should have caught the significance.

message 55: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 215 comments Mod
It was such fun watching Adam Baldwin on Castle!

Also, I just re-watched season 1. I had forgotten how much I enjoyed those earlier episodes!

message 56: by Elliott (new)

Elliott Vaughn | 2 comments Anastasia wrote: "Found this on YouTube: Firefly references in Castle (through season 3) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQsnLN..."
What happened to your video
Clicked the link&you removed it

message 57: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments The Nov. 5th episode of Castle had a Sci-Fi theme. At a sci-fi convention a woman involved with a fictional series called Nebula 9 was killed on a set of the show. Castle's (Nathan Fillion) comment on learning that the crime scene was at the convention was "shiny!" Later he was putting down Nebula 9 saying that it was a cheesy show that was cancelled "after 12 episodes" and that he liked quality sci-fi series like Star Trek, Deep Space Nine and "that Josh Whedon show". Love the Firefly references!

message 58: by Luann (new)

Luann (AZbookgal) | 215 comments Mod
Finally caught up with Castle episodes and just watched that episode, John. Too fun!! :) Loved all the Firefly references! I had to chuckle at the Nebula 9 evil alien race called "Creavers" who would eat your face off while you're still alive and then serve your organs to their young.

message 59: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments Luann wrote: "Finally caught up with Castle episodes and just watched that episode, John. Too fun!! :) Loved all the Firefly references! I had to chuckle at the Nebula 9 evil alien race called "Creavers" who wou..."

I missed that one, Luann! Creavers! LOL

message 60: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments Gina Torres was a guest star on Castle last night. Hope they find a way to bring in all the old Firefly crew as guest stars. So far they've had Adam Baldwin and now Gina.

message 61: by Philip (new)

Philip McClimon (PhilipAMcClimon) | 1 comments On twitter, Nathon Fillion had asked if anybody caught the Firefly reference at the beginning of the show. Sadly, I had to go to the Internet to find out what the reference was. Castle is trying to guess what Beckett had gotten for Valentine's Day. His guess include things wished for by Mal : a pony and a plastic rocket.

message 62: by Anne (new)

Anne (MysteryloverAnne) | 32 comments Phil, I missed that reference! Thanks for sharing.

message 63: by Rick (new)

Rick I just watched the 100th episode of Castle. Great episode: a tribute to Hitchcock's Rear Window.
And I have to admit that I'd miss Castle if Fillion went back to doing Firefly, as much as I would LOVE to see new Firefly episodes.

Sigh.

message 64: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments I am reading Frozen Heat by Richard Castle and was amused to see the detective partners Malcolm and Reynolds.

message 65: by John (last edited Apr 25, 2014 09:38AM) (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments John wrote: "I am reading Frozen Heat by Richard Castle and was amused to see the detective partners Malcolm and Reynolds."

Later Rook, the name of the Castle (Nathan Fillion) character in the book, says something like, "I can't quite put my finger on it, but there's something I like about those Malcolm and Reynolds guys."

message 66: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (TDAllonsy) | 123 comments Yep! I loved those tiny shout outs to Firefly in Frozen Heat as much as I love the Firefly shout outs on Castle. Love how the books are keeping with the spirit of the show in that sense. I wonder how much of the crew are Browncoats.

message 67: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (TDAllonsy) | 123 comments Castle has been renewed for season 7 - http://tvline.com/2014/05/08/abc-rene...
has anyone else been keeping up with the show so far? what're your thoughts?

message 68: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments I am a bit worried that if Castle and Beckett get married it will change the whole dynamic of the show.

message 69: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (TDAllonsy) | 123 comments In what way will it change? They're already engaged so the relationship is different & they're still out there solving crimes and the like.

message 70: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments I'm including the engagement. It's just that with most shows when you make such a major change to the dynamic it ruins the show. Look what happened when everyone started getting married on Friends, when Dave and Maddie got together on Moonlighting, when they had the baby on Mad About You. Hope that I am wrong, but it does concern me.

message 71: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (TDAllonsy) | 123 comments I do understand your concern, and I agree. The other side of the coin is it beats having a "will they, won't they" dynamic for the entire run of the show, without a viable explanation which is both unrealistic and annoying for a lot of fans. (not that getting characters together isn't grating on the nerves for some). The shows you mentioned, (except Moonlighting, which was in the 80s) were sitcoms shows; Castle is a drama, why not compare it with the other modern-day dramas who got their leads together? Bones did it, not just with Booth & Brennan but with Hodgins and Angela. It's still running strong.

Characters grow & evolve over a series run, barring any reasons why not (i.e. Stargate SG1 couldn't have Jack and Sam together because both were military and on the same team) it's natural for two leads/main characters who work together to end up together (or end up together and break up). Obviously not every character should be in a couple with another main character they work with; some relationships are set up as a big brother/sister relationships or father/daughter relationship from the get go. Castle & Beckett wasn't. She's a cop, he's a writer & a civilian 'consultant'. Yes, it changes the show dynamics having them together, but it should change the show dynamics. I expect the shows I watch to change dynamics over its run, not stay on the same line from season 1 to season 7+. The change in dynamics doesn't have to be for the worse. Castle got renewed for season 7, they've done decently in season 6, not too much lovey-dovey-touchy-feely stuff that would interfere with the plot, but just enough to let the viewers know they're a couple without being overbearing about it. To me anyway, and I'm not the most 'romantic' person out there, I don't exactly cheer for characters to get together onscreen the moment I see them.

message 72: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments Was watching a Castle rerun the other night and found another Firefly reference. It was an episode from season 3. I don't recall the name, but it had an X-Files theme of possible alien abduction. Toward the end Castle speaks Chinese and Beckett asks him how he learned the language. He replied, "From a TV show I used to love."

message 73: by Anastasia (new)

Anastasia (TDAllonsy) | 123 comments John wrote: "Was watching a Castle rerun the other night and found another Firefly reference. It was an episode from season 3. I don't recall the name, but it had an X-Files theme of possible alien abduction. T..."

I laughed like a looney when I heard him speak Chinese in that episode.

message 74: by John (new)

John (jkbrown2) | 21 comments Nathan Fillion will be playing himself on the Feb. 18 episode of Big Bang Theory. The guys spot him in a restaurant and are nervous about approaching him. I'm sure that they are fans of his from Firefly. They have mentioned Firefly several times on the show.

« previous 1 2 next »

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Heat Wave (other topics)
Naked Heat (other topics)
Frozen Heat (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Richard Castle (other topics)