Wonder Wonder discussion

august's face

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »

Mrs.purple/elizabeth what do you think his face looks like?

Karla Rades His sister kinda describes id dosen't she?

michelle dinan His sister does describe it. It's described as a face melting.

Randy If you google the name of the syndrome (Treacher-Collins Syndrome), you will be able to see real photos of children, and you get a good idea of how Auggie looks.

Lurisse Ann Randy wrote: "If you google the name of the syndrome (Treacher-Collins Syndrome), you will be able to see real photos of children, and you get a good idea of how Auggie looks."

Aww.. just googled that Syndrome and it broke my heart upon seeing those images! I thought of Auggie! Reading this book have made me care for Auggie and all those people being judged by their appearance!

Kinder than is necessary.. :)

Sage (the Dalek) I'm too scared to google the pics... I might get depressed.

Gabby I googled them...wow.

Sage (the Dalek) are they scary??? Or will I be very depressed?

Sage (the Dalek) I looked them up... I got freaked out for nothing.

Gabby Yeah. I was scared to look at first, but then...it really wasn't that bad.

Sage (the Dalek) No, it wasn't at all!

Gabby Yeah!

Gabriel Papa i just feel bad for him i would hate to have to be bullied because of my face

Laura Brennan It really makes you think twice about a bad hair day or a pimple making you bummed out!!

Sage (the Dalek) Laura wrote: "It really makes you think twice about a bad hair day or a pimple making you bummed out!!"

The problem is, not everyone thinks that way.

Audrey Klosterman Sage wrote: "I looked them up... I got freaked out for nothing."

Are you sure? I'm still sorta afraid to.

Audrey Klosterman nevermind. it's not that bad

Gabby It's not :)

Sage (the Dalek) Nope, it's not! except for the photoshopped one... so cruel!

Gabby Where?

Natali.D (BookCupid) So sad. And no they don't look like Dark Sidious. I wanted to smack Julian for that.

Audrey Klosterman Natali.D (BookCupid) wrote: "So sad. And no they don't look like Dark Sidious. I wanted to smack Julian for that."

IKR?!

Gabby I actually wanted to hit the mother more than Julian. Photoshop August out of the school picture? That lady has to deal with me first.

Sage (the Dalek) oh yes that lady was a piece of work... grr

Jamie Searcy I've worked with a child that has Treacher-Collins Syndrome and their face was as it was described in the book but he had other issues as well. The child I worked with had hands that were not fully developed, was really small for his age, and also severely mentally handicapped. I was not sure if this was because there were different degrees of the syndrome or if it was tweaked by the author.

Gabby August did not have Treacher-Collins Syndrome. The Author said this is the closest syndrome she could find to what August had. She didn't want to go into detail about how August was. The story was not about his syndrome, it was about his life.

Gabby Yeah, but if you go onto the Authors website, she specifically says that he doesn't have Treacher-Collins Syndrome.

Gabby From her website:

What kind of research you did into Auggie’s medical condition?
"I spent a few weeks researching genetics—specifically craniofacial anomalies in children. There are many syndromes out there, all with varying degrees of abnormality. I decided not to get too specific about Auggie’s malady in the book, but in my head he has a severe form of Treacher-Collins syndrome complicated by cleft lip and palate and some other unknown mysterious syndrome that makes his particular condition a medical wonder."

Micah august's face well the author described it as ugly and desformed but when your readin a book you have to look in the words that the author uses and then feel the real person thats what ive learned about readin books but august was a great charchter in the book hes my favorite chachter in the book

Maria Honestly, their faces were not as bad as I pictured Auggie-He had talked about his mouth and how he couldn't chew, the kids faces that I saw seemed to have normal mouths. Maybe Im looking at the wrong thing?

Saddleseat Sammi what is the syndrome called?

Allets Treacher-Collins Syndrome.

Saddleseat Sammi Read Message 30 and it tells you things the author said about Auggie.

Allets Auggie has Treacher-Collins Syndrom but that doesn't explain his ears, right? The book said his ears were like lumps on his head, or something like that. None of the kids on google images looked like that.

Allets Would someone answer my question, please? *Strain from fake smile*

Allets *Sigh*

Saddleseat Sammi Like she said, he has a sort of mix of syndromes, so the ears could be from another syndrome mixed i guess

message 41: by Gabby (last edited Apr 19, 2013 08:38PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Gabby Allets wrote: "Auggie has Treacher-Collins Syndrom but that doesn't explain his ears, right? The book said his ears were like lumps on his head, or something like that. None of the kids on google images looked li..."

No, as i explained above, he does NOT have Treacher-Collins Syndrom. The author specifically said that was the closest she could to find what Auggie looked like. The reason he looks like he does is because of genes.

Here is what i posted before from the authors website. You can check if you don't believe me.

From her website:

What kind of research you did into Auggie’s medical condition?
"I spent a few weeks researching genetics—specifically craniofacial anomalies in children. There are many syndromes out there, all with varying degrees of abnormality. I decided not to get too specific about Auggie’s malady in the book, but in my head he has a severe form of Treacher-Collins syndrome complicated by cleft lip and palate and some other unknown mysterious syndrome that makes his particular condition a medical wonder."

message 42: by Allets (last edited May 13, 2013 06:25PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Allets I don't think it was because of genes. The book specifically stated that no one else in his family had ever looked the way auggies does. I think one of the reasons he looks the way he does is because there was some problem with the pregnancy. Maybe his mom accidentally took a drink of something. I'm not saying that explains everything, but I still think that that could be a possibility.

message 43: by Therealbadkitty (new)

Therealbadkitty I just googled the pictures. It just makes me want to cry.

Saddleseat Sammi Ya me too!

Allets I know, right! It's so sad.

Melonhead i just want to cry when i see those pictures

message 47: by Calvin (new)

Calvin Staropoli The description of August's face doesn't exactly fit Treacher Collins syndrome. I don't think that it really matters what August's face looks like because you really don't need to know. All you need to know is he is disfigured enough for kids to be scared of him, which is enough heartbreak. You don't need to see his actual face and feel even more sorry for him. If the author had included a picture or drawing of what she thought Auggie would look like, I think it would just be too depressing.

Saddleseat Sammi Ya I know I was hoping she would as I read it but now I'm glad she didn't.

message 49: by Therealbadkitty (new)

Therealbadkitty Lurisse Ann wrote: "Randy wrote: "If you google the name of the syndrome (Treacher-Collins Syndrome), you will be able to see real photos of children, and you get a good idea of how Auggie looks."

Aww.. just googled ..."

It's really disgusting what some people are commenting under the pictures of these kids. It breaks my heart twice.

Saddleseat Sammi Oh I know!! People can be so cruel.

« previous 1

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Wonder (other topics)