The Filipino Group discussion

Pride and Prejudice
This topic is about Pride and Prejudice
note: This topic has been closed to new comments.
Archives > [GR-TFG 100 Favorite Books] October 2012: Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen. Moderator: DC

Comments (showing 1-50 of 243) (243 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by DC (last edited Oct 16, 2012 07:15AM) (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments Hello everyone! I'm DC, and I'll be moderating the Filipino Group’s October 2012 book-of-the-month discussion. For this month, we’ll be discussing Jane Austen’s Pride and Prejudice.

For details regarding the face-to-face discussion of this book, please refer to this thread: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

I have a few simple rules, as follows:
1. Let’s agree to disagree. Feel free to debate, but let’s not take anything said too personally, and let’s respect each other’s opinions.
2. There will be a reading plan. This post will be updated to show the latest chapter(s) that is/are being discussed. Please use the [spoiler][/spoiler] tags if you wish to mention events that are to take place after the noted chapters. (You don’t have to follow the reading plan to join this discussion, though!)
3. Please do engage and mingle! Don’t be afraid to read and reply to the answers of others :)
4. Let’s keep this a fun discussion!

Week 3
Days 15-17 [link to post]
Days 18-20 [link to post]

Week 2 Discussion Qs
Day 8: Preference [link to post]
Day 9&10: Rosings [link to post]
Day 11: Interest [link to post]
Day 12: Darcy [link to post]
Day 13: Elizabeth [link to post]

Week 1 Discussion Qs
Discussion questions for Day 1 [link to post]
Discussion questions for Day 2 [link to post]
Discussion questions for Day 3 [link to post]
Discussion questions for Day 4 [link to post]
Discussion questions for Day 5 [link to post]
Discussion questions for Day 6 [link to post]
The Assignment (for Day 5/6): (view spoiler)

message 2: by DC (last edited Oct 16, 2012 07:18AM) (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments The Reading Plan

First Week: First Impressions (view spoiler)

Second Week: Second Opinions (view spoiler)

Third Week: Final Curtain (view spoiler)

Pre-F2F Discussion Proper: The End of a Beginning

Note: All times are GMT +8. The chapters to be read on Saturdays and Sundays are just a little bit longer than for the weekdays.

The Online Discussion Proper

Week 3 discussion format:

For this week, I, DC, as the moderator, will no longer be posting new discussion questions everyday. I will still, however, be posting the chapters as mentioned in the reading plan, as well as some trivia relevant for the chapters mentioned.

Anyone who would like to answer any former questions is welcome to do so, and you may go ahead and discuss what you've seen, felt and generally interested you in the book so far :)

Week 2 discussion format: (view spoiler)

Week 1 discussion format: (view spoiler)

---

Note: Please don’t feel pressured to answer any questions that you may come across in this discussion :) Do, however, discuss what you’ve read, seen and thought of the chapters that are currently up for discussion/reading.

If you have comments, suggestions, questions regarding the discussion proper, please PM me, DC, about it :)

Now, on with the show!

message 3: by DC (last edited Sep 23, 2012 12:31AM) (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments Looking for a copy?
-Try the nearest bookstore. They may have copies available for (usually) P250 or less.
-Free ebook via Gutenburg.org http://www.gutenberg.org/ebooks/1342
-Free ebook on Amazon (for Kindle) http://www.amazon.com/Pride-and-Preju...
-Free audiobook via Librivox.org
http://librivox.org/pride-and-prejudi...

-Movie? Oh, yes. The 2005 one had Keira Knightley in it.
-TV series? 1995 BBC, with Colin Firth and Jennifer Ehle.
-An online adaptation of P&P? The Lizzie Bennet Diaries. To date, not yet completed (the book, anyway). http://www.lizziebennet.com/
-Online comic by Marvel? (Not free, and one of those covers looks familiar, hmmmm.) http://marvel.com/digital_comics/seri...

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 963 comments Note to self: Dahil basag ako, forgive me DC. READERS, PURU LANDIAN ANG BOOK NA ITO.
mwahahahahah salamat! ^_________^

Tina (tinamats) | 2415 comments Looking forward to watching the 1995 BBC version again! Hihi Colin Firth! <3

Also, the online adaptation is very nice, and it gives you a different and modern perspective of the book. :D

message 6: by DC (last edited Sep 23, 2012 09:51PM) (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments Maria Ella wrote: "Note to self: Dahil basag ako, forgive me DC. READERS, PURU LANDIAN ANG BOOK NA ITO.
mwahahahahah salamat! ^_________^"

Ella naman! Baka hindi na lalapit ang mga kalalakihan sa diskusyon na 'to kung mabasa nila ang kumento mo xD

The book's about social status, and it's sarcastic about it too :D Okey pa ang prose ni Austen, refreshing :)

Tina wrote: "Looking forward to watching the 1995 BBC version again! Hihi Colin Firth! <3

Also, the online adaptation is very nice, and it gives you a different and modern perspective of the book. :D"

Agree ako Tina! Ayoko nga lang seryosong simulan kasi pakiramdam ko spoiler sa sarili xD

Blue (codenameblue) | 779 comments There are also 1980 and 1940 versions, and they're also good, though the latter deviates from the story a bit. Hihi.

message 8: by DC (last edited Sep 23, 2012 09:34PM) (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments Blue wrote: "There are also 1980 and 1940 versions, and they're also good, though the latter deviates from the story a bit. Hihi."

EXPERT IN DA HAUS! Ikaw na Blue, ikaw na!

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 963 comments Maganda kapag book version nito. ang mga banatan nila wagas na wagas lang di ba?! Ang kyut kyut kyut. Basta. Kyut. hihihi~~~

Good luck sa mga guys. baka matuto rin sila paano nila ia-approach ang mga girls. Hihi

message 10: by Blue (last edited Sep 23, 2012 10:57PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Blue (codenameblue) | 779 comments DC: Kinaadikan ko to ng bongga nung high school (woo hormonal days) XD pagbigyan!

Ella: Funny nila mag-away! Ang taray lang :))

Angus (angus25) | 3572 comments Go na go ako rito! Simulan na ang landian! XD

message 12: by Dante (last edited Sep 23, 2012 11:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dante (josephdc) | 294 comments Wow, cool poster!

This is my favorite novel. But then, I haven't read very many novels in my life. I plan to change that fact, though.

I first read this years ago in Project Gutenberg while at the same time listening to a Librivox recording. It was difficult to understand at first, but once I got used to their manner of speaking (and Austen's manner of writing), I loved it. I love Austen's style. The sentences and dialogues are witty and delicious.

Then I saw the BBC version (1995), and it did justice to the novel because it was faithful. Firth was perfect for the character, and Ehle... well, in my view, she personified Lizzy too much that in my mind she *is* Miss Lizzy Bennet. It's hard, like Darcy, to not fall in love with her.

The Hollywood version that starred Knightley was... how shall I put this... barely tolerable, I suppose. Haha. But to their credit, the cinematography and costumes were beautiful.

I haven't seen the older screen adaptations.

I have the ebook for The Making of Pride and Prejudice (BBC) written by the series' producer and script editor. I plan to read it after I'm done with the novel. PM me if you want a copy.

And yes, I'm happy to be back in Lizzy's world again.

Pau (pau_b) | 18 comments I've seen both the 1995 BBC series and the 2005 movie. I've read the book. And I loved the Kiera Knightley version. Possibly because it's a bit more sarcastic, and Emma Thompson rewrote that one scene with Charlotte. Situations are a lot less sparkly, and a whole lot more dire... which I think is what gets lost in the romance. I would imagine that underneath the lace and the dainty china, the ribbons, and the balls... people are hard-up, desperate, have little sense of hygiene, and walks a lot in the mud (as there are no proper pavement). Granted that I loved the Kiera-movie, the BBC series is more faithful to the book as the movie is a bit more dramatized (and modern).

Oh and plus, my favorite character is Georgiana. Funny that I love her more than the Bennet girls. She makes Lydia tolerable.

Bennard | 454 comments I tried reading this in high school but I did not finish it. But I will surely do now.:)

message 15: by DC (last edited Sep 24, 2012 07:58AM) (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments Happy to have everyone on board! Official discussion starts by Sept 27, Thursday :)

Hello Angus, Blue, Bennard, Tina! :D (And to all the future commenters on this thread! Hello, hello!)

Maria Ella wrote: "Good luck sa mga guys. baka matuto rin sila paano nila ia-approach ang mga girls. Hihi"
> Hah! Hi Ella :D

Hi Dante and Pau! How interesting! You seem to know your P&P :D I hope, however, that this discussion will help give you angles that you haven't yet explored, if any :)

Dante (josephdc) | 294 comments Hi, DC. :)

I just love this novel. I love Austen. :)

Yes, I hope to discover something new from this re-reading. :)

Mae (jamaeca) | 326 comments I remember having to read this back in high school and even had to write a paper for it. But it was such a long time ago that I can't remember much of it anymore. (That's probably why I only rated it 3 stars here.) A reread is in order. :)

Biena (The Library Mistress) (biena) | 426 comments Austen! I love Austen!!!
Good thing, I bought another P&P copy last week and I really am planning on reading it again.
Now, I have enough reasons to read it.

message 19: by [deleted user] (last edited Sep 24, 2012 06:30PM) (new)

Halos yata during HS phase binasa ang book (and that includes me XD)! What would I say, HS is the best time to fall in love.

If I remember correctly I read P&P with my friends because we thought we were being left behind and needed to catch up. Left behind meaning we didn't give such thoughts to love or boyfriends while everyone around enjoys the bliss and so we decided to take a crash course about "truly-madly-in-love" through Austen's. We just ended up loving the book!

I only watched the Keira Knightley since my cous (being a rabid Austen fan) suggested that although the movie deviated from the original, it had given the story another interesting layer. In truth, it is mainly because I was a big Keira fangirl back then.

Now, a reread to remember the old times as well.

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 221 comments I originally planned on reading just the ebook. But since the discussion is shaping up to be quite something, to say nothing of the cool event posters and my love for Keira Knightley, I've decided on buying and reading an actual, good old print copy. Hah.

Bennard | 454 comments Aldrin wrote: "I originally planned on reading just the ebook. But since the discussion is shaping up to be quite something, to say nothing of the cool event posters and my love for Keira Knightley, I've decided ..."

I second your love for Keira Knightley.:D

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 221 comments Bennard: Are you up for a Keira Knightley reading project? Haha.

Bennard | 454 comments Aldrin wrote: "Bennard: Are you up for a Keira Knightley reading project? Haha."

Yes please! but I'd rather have a Keira Knightley watching project.:D

Dante (josephdc) | 294 comments On Kiera Knightley: She is very pretty indeed. But to quote Mr. Darcy, "She smiles too much." :D

Angus (angus25) | 3572 comments Hey, why are you proposing a reading project for me? LOL!

I love Keira Knightley, not in the way you guys love her. Basta! She's my inner channel? Channel?????

message 26: by Phoebe (last edited Sep 24, 2012 09:08PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 148 comments I read Pride & Prejudice not because of school (my school's not that great) or peers (i'm the only bookworm), it was out of curiosity. Classics just pique my interest at the moment and Pride & Prejudice has become one of my favorite books. I like its classic opposite attracts love story which was copied or altered in many stories, movies, media or even fanfics. I know it's fluffy, that's why I like it haha. Also, I like how Jane Austen gave moral lesson in the story (i might defend it if someone wants to debate haha).
I'm looking forward to read your insights. And find out if there are some Janeites here ;)

As for the movies, I have not watch the BBC version yet so I have not seen the famous clinging wet white shirt of Colin Firth HAHA
And though the Hollywood film was not that faithful to the book, I still love it. I also love the score of the movie & Matthew Macfayden. \(*^o^*)/ Sorry for fangirling too much but I see you guys also express your admiration haha
(view spoiler)

Dante (josephdc) | 294 comments ^ I highly recommend the BBC version. :)

Blue (codenameblue) | 779 comments Phoebe: I love the score of the 2005 version too! Dario Marianelli is a great composer :)

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 221 comments Blue: Love it too. But, frankly, it can't hold a candle to his Atonement score. :)

Maria Ella (mariaellabetos) | 963 comments Aldrin wrote: "Bennard: Are you up for a Keira Knightley reading project? Haha."

I am interested in this reading project. I wanna try it for myself. Para cute. Tapos rewatching some flicks too. Hihihih

message 31: by DC (last edited Sep 25, 2012 06:54AM) (new) - added it

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments Hello Mae, Biena, Kate, Aldrin, Phoebe! Welcome to the thread :)

Personally: I have only watched the 2005 movie due to a recommendation of a friend. (That was some time last year, I believe.) I then read P&P afterwards, so Keira was my Lizzy as I breezed past the pages xD I hope I get to watch the BBC series soon :)

SPEAKING OF WHICH: Did you know that there's a thread up for a possible online group screening of the series and movie? :) Check it out here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

message 32: by Phoebe (last edited Sep 25, 2012 02:09AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Phoebe Andamo (phoibee) | 148 comments Blue: I agree. His piece moves me.

Aldrin: I'm definitely going to watch it (and read it, too).

DC: Thanks for the warm welcome :D

Blue (codenameblue) | 779 comments Phoebe: Do you have a particular track that you like? (haha sorry I really love listening to film scores)

Aldrin: I haven't watched Atonement *gasp* yet!

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 221 comments Blue and Phoebe: Atonement is one of my favorite books, films, and scores. Heck, I even wrote a review focusing on the green dress Keira Knightley wore in the film. Haha.

Blue (codenameblue) | 779 comments Aldrin: Okay, this has me intrigued. I have a DVD naman so I should be able to watch this soon! :D

Aldrin (fullybooked) | 221 comments Blue: I have the DVD too. I suggest turning on Joe Wright's director commentary on your second viewing. It's really enlightening. :)

message 37: by [deleted user] (new)

DC: Thanks for the welcome!

This thread just turned into a Keira Appreciation thread :D Not that we mind, of course.

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1336 comments started reading today. Sorry excited lang. This is actually the first classic book i've ever read kaya when i read it the first time, it took me ages before i get the hang of the story. Dugo dugo pa ilong ko noon sa mga old english phrases. Pero i ended up loving it, because of mr. Darcy. Haha.

Angus (angus25) | 3572 comments Oh my, very short chapters lang pala, and I was worried that I'd have super busy reading weeks ahead. I'll follow the reading plan. Thursday, malapit ka na!

Biena (The Library Mistress) (biena) | 426 comments I have all movie/series versions except the Keira Knightley movie, I've seen it though.
So, if you guys want a copy, I can bring a USB sa F2F hahaha. I'll bring the files with me.

Rhena | 61 comments Phoebe wrote: "I read Pride & Prejudice not because of school (my school's not that great) or peers (i'm the only bookworm), it was out of curiosity. Classics just pique my interest at the moment and Pride & Prej..."

That GIF made my heart melt!!!

Anyway, hello guys! I haven't read P&P yet, not even in high school. But I have watched the Joe Wright film and the 1995 miniseries. I must say I have thoroughly loved it and have been meaning to read this classic for quite some time now but never got the inspiration to do so. Now, I've got the perfect reason! And I'm very much looking forward to this! :)

DC (disguisedcyclone) | 429 comments Hello Cary and Rhena! Welcome :)

Keira appreciation is fine for the meantime, while we haven't started the official discussion yet :) I hope we'll also have pick up Jane Austen appreciation along the way too, though ;)

In all fairness, Cary, nahirapan din ako sa nose-bloody old English xD but then you learn to appreciate it more as you read (plus improve your vocabulary along the way!) :D

Biena! We're planning to watch the series and movie together in the next few weeks! Watch it with us :) (We'll put up a forum/chatroom and everything!)

Thank you to all who plan to join the discussion! Can't wait to hear your thoughts :)

Tina (tinamats) | 2415 comments DC wrote: "In all fairness, Cary, nahirapan din ako sa nose-bloody old English xD but then you learn to appreciate it more as you read (plus improve your vocabulary along the way!) :D"

I agree! I found that I had to commit to reading at least a few pages of Austen everyday when I was reading this because if I skip a day, I'll get lost again. :D I remember having to start the book again twice kasi I stopped at Chapter 10 and forgot to pick it up.

But ayun, just keep on reading. Haha. I remember being very amused in knowing that the word verily really exists. Akala ko joke lang yun ng friend ko sakin. :))

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1336 comments DC wrote: "Hello Cary and Rhena! Welcome :)

Keira appreciation is fine for the meantime, while we haven't started the official discussion yet :) I hope we'll also have pick up Jane Austen appreciation along ..."

Im kind of surprised nga ngayon kasi madali naman pala syang basahin. Siguro kasi medyo nasanay na din sa classics. Haha, mas kinikilig pa talaga ako ngayon :)

Cary (ForesterCary) | 1336 comments Tina wrote: "DC wrote: "In all fairness, Cary, nahirapan din ako sa nose-bloody old English xD but then you learn to appreciate it more as you read (plus improve your vocabulary along the way!) :D"

I agree! I ..."

pansin ko nga si Austen madalas nya gamitin ang mga words na oblige, countenance, civility, etc. yun yata uso noon

message 46: by [deleted user] (new)

At dahil isa ako sa mga tao na hindi ganon kagaling sa English (not my best subject), dear thesaurus is my one and only lover.

This is a free advertising :D

message 47: by Dante (last edited Sep 25, 2012 09:31PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dante (josephdc) | 294 comments I agree, Austen is hard to get used to at first, but once you get it, it's a beautiful experience. Her sentences and expressions are like honey to the mind.

I read Sense and Sensibility last week and I didn't know "show" was once spelled as "shew", "choose" as "chuz" (?), and so forth.

Dante (josephdc) | 294 comments Cary wrote: "Tina wrote: "DC wrote: "In all fairness, Cary, nahirapan din ako sa nose-bloody old English xD but then you learn to appreciate it more as you read (plus improve your vocabulary along the way!) :D"..."

I love her words! Civility, character, impudence, impertinence, insolence, admirable, affability, etc. What an intelligent and elegant lady she was. :D

Aaron Vincent (aaronvincent) | 1646 comments Hello! I started reading this na. I don't think I can follow the daily reading schedule, but I will try to follow the weekly plan.

On chapter 12 na. I am simultaneously reading and listening to each chapter. It isn't that hard to read naman. I find it so amusing. Para siyang 18th century (and better written) Desperate Housewives meets Gossip Girl. Hehe.

Blue (codenameblue) | 779 comments ^ and surely more conservative!

« previous 1 3 4 5
This topic has been frozen by the moderator. No new comments can be posted.
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Pride and Prejudice (other topics)
The Perks of Being a Wallflower (other topics)
The Historian (other topics)
The Beautiful and Damned (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Jane Austen (other topics)