*~Can't Stop Reading~* discussion

Kiss of the Butterfly
This topic is about Kiss of the Butterfly
Advertise > Balkan Folklore and Vampires

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

James Lyon | 9 comments Greetings from Sarajevo.

I am an American ex-pat with a Ph.D. in Balkan History (UCLA, 1995) who has lived and worked in the former Yugoslavia for over 18 years (Serbia, Bosnia, Montenegro, Croatia, etc). In addition to my work as an historian, editor and political analyst, I have recently e-published a novel ("Kiss of the Butterfly" -- paranormal/historical fiction) set largely in the former Yugoslavia during the 1990s. It is based on my research into Balkan folklore and history, as well as my experiences in the region during the wars. Although the book begins in 1476, much of it takes place in Serbia and Bosnia, with assorted Balkan oddities.

Kirkus Reviews wrote: "In the glut of vampire-themed novels now on the market, Lyon’s debut stands out… skillful… authentic… fascinating… inspired… Lyon executes it perfectly... vivid... engaging... highly promising... sophisticated..." https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-re...

Hope you enjoy it.

Kiss of the Butterfly by James  Lyon

message 2: by Alyne (new)

Alyne Winter | 20 comments Oh my God! I'll have to read this! I have a Gothic Fantasy novel coming out ,THE ROSES OF THE MOON, set in Royal Hungary in the crux of the 16th and 17th centuries. I will definitely read this one!

message 3: by James (last edited Sep 24, 2012 05:44AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

James Lyon | 9 comments Alyne wrote: "Oh my God! I'll have to read this! I have a Gothic Fantasy novel coming out ,THE ROSES OF THE MOON, set in Royal Hungary in the crux of the 16th and 17th centuries. I will definitely read this one!"

Hungary? Nem tudom magyarul. What in the world got you interested in the Pannonian plain? I do have one part of the book set in Budapest in 1991. People always overlook the fact that Dracula was a Hungarian vassal, and that his father was a member of the Order of the Dragon, but the son never was. It also explains how he got the nickname "Dracula".

Budapest is a cool place. I've been visiting there since 1981. One day I plan on writing a comparison between Demel in Vienna and Gerbeaud in Budapest...who has the best hot chocolate, the best Sachertorte, the best Esterhazy torte, etc.

message 4: by Alyne (new)

Alyne Winter | 20 comments The seed was a book about Erzsebet Bathory that described the weirdness of the world she lived in. As a Shakespeare and Monteverdi fanatic, I was intrigued about exploring the period in a part of the world that was entirely hidden to me during the Cold War. I had Hungarian flat mate when i lived in London and loved the language. I could go on. I would LOVE to go to Budapest.

Its a fantasy, very Gothic, very dark. I have found that some of my 'imaginings' had some real things in them. But it will not be historically accurate.

James Lyon | 9 comments Yes, Budapest is very dark. And the architecture is quite heavy, in a late Romantic Gothic sort of way. You would love it. I first went there to attend a communist May Day parade in 1981. I've been there at least once every year since 1993, quite often five or six times a year. The photo you have of Halasbastya on your blog is cool.

I believe you can find non-stop Malev flights direct from NYC or elsewhere on the east coast. Once you get there, prices are extremely inexpensive in relation to the rest of Europe. Public transit is fantastic. Accommodations are cheap. If you don't need a luxury hotel, you can have a blast on a budget.

As for imaginings... I am convinced that we should never ignore them, or the dreams that accompany them.

James Lyon | 9 comments ABC News mentioned Kiss of the Butterfly and quoted the author, James Lyon in a story about a village in Serbia that was in fear of the vampire Sava Savanovic.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/v...

James Lyon | 9 comments Kiss of the Butterfly by James  Lyon

Vampire Alert!! https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

Over the weekend, the author visited the Serbian vampire villages of Zarožje and Kisiljevo. Zarožje is home to the watermill of the vampire Sava Savanović. Kisiljevo is the home to the vampire Peter Plogojowitz and the first recorded mention of the word "vampire" in history. During the course of the next weeks, the author will share photos, video, and excerpts from his interviews with the villagers in a series entitle "The Vampire Hunter".

Make certain to add the "Kiss of the Butterfly" page to your "interests" list on Facebook to receive all the latest information.

James Lyon | 9 comments Vampire Hunting, Part I

-The vampire Sava Savanović comes from a remote area called Zarožje, high in the forested mountains of western Serbia. Zarožje isn't really a village, but a series of isolated homes scattered across steep mountainsides. The first road to the area was built in 1977, and electricity arrived one year later. As I prepared to leave the main road and trek through the snow to find Sava’s infamous haunted watermill, a stinging wind blew icy snow crystals directly into my face and reduced visibility to less than a few hundred meters, while heavy mists hovered around the sharp crags rising from the steep slopes. Vapors crept in and out of the tree-tops and my eyes watered from the sharp cold and sleet.

Photo at: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Kiss of the Butterfly (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

James Lyon (other topics)