UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Book Recommendations > Fiction that educates

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Alex (new)

Alex Hunter | 111 comments I love reading from a variety of different genres, and get enjoyment from each for dirrerent reasons, but in order to enjoy historical fiction (or, I suppose, contemporary fiction in an unfamiliar setting) it has to leave me feeling that I've learned something about the period, country or culture in which it is set.

To give a couple of examples; the Flashman books (George MacDonald Fraser) and the books of Christian Jacq, set in ancient Egypt all leave me feeling not just entertained but also educated.

Which books have you read that have inspired you in this way and that you would recommend?

Patti (baconater) (Goldengreene) | 43743 comments Great thread!

Books that immediately come to my mind are everything by James A Michener. (wish his stuff was kindle-ized).

Also Pompeii by Robert Harris

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Pompeii-ebook...

I'll have a think about more I've read...

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Hunter | 111 comments Yes Patti - Pompeii is on my list too :o)

message 4: by Alex (new)

Alex Hunter | 111 comments ...and while we're on the subject of Robert Harris, I loved Enigma - more recent, but still a very different world.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Enigma-ebook/dp/B0044KLPYC/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1348139442&sr=1-1

message 5: by Kath (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:50AM) (new)

Kath | 1957 comments Robert Goddard sometimes writes books that have a lot of history in them... I have read most of his books and find them to be really good reads.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_G...

message 6: by Karen (Kew) (new)

Karen (Kew) | 4047 comments Georgette Heyer

It's amazing how much you can learn about the manners and lives of the aristocracy in Regency times. Maybe not that useful, but certainly interesting.

:0)

message 7: by L.E. (new)

L.E. Fitzpatrick (L_E_Fitzpatrick) | 6 comments I love history so I read as ms many history books as I can lay my hands on. What I often find is if the content doesn't have a good enough story I lose interest.

The book that has taught me the most in the world is John Connolly's Children's book (actually two of them because there's a sequel) The Gates which is all about physics and science - a topic which I avoid like the plague, but am now an expert (okay not really).

Desley (Cat fosterer) (Booktigger) | 3650 comments I learnt quite a lot earlier in the year from two books based on fact, which are Are You Positive? and Wrongful Death: The AIDS Trial. Am sure there are others, but not that come to mind like those two.

message 9: by A.L. (new)

A.L. Butcher (ALB2012) | 1577 comments Not fiction as such but an account of what happened,Schindler's List. This is a must read but you need the hankies around. I read this on holiday and I couldn't put it down.
Reach for the Skyis excellent as well. What a remarkable man.

message 10: by Alex (new)

Alex Hunter | 111 comments Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Lots to add to my list :o)

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Gates (other topics)
Are You Positive? (other topics)
Wrongful Death: The AIDS Trial (other topics)
Schindler's List (other topics)
Reach for the Sky (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Georgette Heyer (other topics)