The Next Best Book Club discussion

Revive a Dead Thread > Immediate Must-Read? Select TWO Novels from the List :-)

Comments (showing 1-39 of 39) (39 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Shredder (new)

Shredder | 20 comments Hi All,

I will be busy from the next week onwards, I'll be doing a new software project that's painstakingly time consuming... and it'd probably take 12 hours a day. So I wanted to spend some of my time reading a book before the "busy schedule" begins the next week. Let's say I have about a week off and wanted to spend time reading atleast two books (that's provided I could manage).

I have these books (amongst hundred others) in the book shelves. Can you choose two books that are immediate Must-Read according to you?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
* The Book Thief
* In Cold Blood
* The Remains of the day
* Cloud Atlas
* Replay
* A wind-up Bird Chronicle
* Shadow of the wind
* Boy's Life
* Good omens
* Bell Jar
* The Kite Runner
* Kavalier and Clay
* Battle Royale
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks a lot in advance!

message 2: by Nichole (Dirrty H) (last edited Feb 05, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Nichole (Dirrty H) (DirtyH) The only one I've read (and still remember) is Cloud Atlas, and I would definitely call it a MUST read. I loved it. (I have a review posted if you're curious.)

message 3: by Catamorandi (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) | 1046 comments I would highly recommend THE BOOK THIEF by Marcus Zadec. I can't get enough of that book.

I haven't read any of the others, so I can't be helpful for a second one.

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) Thats easy...Book Thief and Shadow of the Wind, hands down two of my favorite books

message 5: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) | 463 comments Swaminathan wrote: "Hi All,

I will be busy from the next week onwards, I'll be doing a new software project that's painstakingly time consuming... and it'd probably take 12 hours a day. So I wanted to spend some of..."

Kite Runner
In Cold Blood

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I've read the Kite Runner and loved it. Shadow of the Wind is a title that catches my attention. I haven't read it, but on the list, that is the one I'd read next.

message 7: by Jill (new)

Jill (wanderingrogue) | 329 comments In Cold Blood
Good Omens

message 8: by Shredder (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:05PM) (new)

Shredder | 20 comments Thanks for all the comments, keep 'em coming. I'd go by majority votes. So far It seems Shadow of the wind is the leader of the pack. (counting votes from other forums I've posted this same message into)

message 9: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) Definitely "The Book Thief" by Markus Zusak. Amazing book.

The only other one that I have read from your list is "Good Omens" which I also really enjoyed.

I'd say to take "The Kite Runner" too as an alternate!

message 10: by Stephanie (new)

Stephanie (sbranson05) | 556 comments The Book Thief. Amazing.

And I sadly haven't gotten around to reading it yet, but everyone I know LOVES The Bell Jar, so I would go for that one as well.

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan | 2 comments Shadow of the Wind is my Fav. And thanks for the other recommendations!!

message 12: by Tango (new)

Tango The Kite Runner is quite easy to read but also a powerful story. the Shadow of the Wind was also a great book.

message 13: by Claire (new)

Claire | 30 comments I've only read the Shadow of the Wind and the Kite Runner - both are great but I'd recommend Shadow of the Wind first.

Enjoy...

On my to-read list, I'm hoping to tackle the Book Thief very soon...

message 14: by Lynai (new)

Lynai THE BOOK THIEF.
THE KITE RUNNER.

Go for the Book Thief. I'm starting it too. So we can compare notes afterwards. :)

message 15: by silvia (new)

silvia  | 282 comments I only read good omens - thats is one of my choices.

you have a lot of books I have on my tbr pille also - from those I'll say the book thief - I need to pick that up myself soon

message 16: by Kristina (new)

Kristina (klonk) My suggestions:
The Kite Runner
Good Omens

message 17: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) You won't be sorry if Book Thief is one of your choices - but I'll warn you it's quite an emotional journey. Worth it, but fair warning.

message 18: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments My 2 suggestions:

* Good omens - fabulous book - I'm reading now
* The Book Thief - good book though is sad at times

message 19: by Shredder (last edited Feb 06, 2009 07:32AM) (new)

Shredder | 20 comments THANKS All, I've decided to read "The Book Thief" and the "Shadow of the wind", unless someone can change my mind or prod me into reading the 3rd book whatever that is, then I could perhaps consider that too... I'll see if I can read all day to finish the two... before I take up the 3rd one, meanwhile you can keep adding your suggestion for the 3rd one :-)

message 20: by Laura (new)

Laura (apenandzen) Let us know what you think!

Allison (The Allure of Books) (inconceivably) yesss...I'm good.

message 22: by Shredder (last edited Feb 06, 2009 08:30AM) (new)

Shredder | 20 comments perhaps the 3rd book could be Good Omens. Anything else that could overtake this one?

message 23: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 1002 comments I think Good Omens is a good 3rd placer

message 24: by Marisa (new)

Marisa (psyko_kittie12) | 90 comments The only one that I have read is Bell Jar, but I would definatly recommend it. It is an awesome book!

message 25: by Kim (new)

Kim | 28 comments I've only read The Kite Runner and Good Omens but both are very, very good. Since you're going to be working hard for the next long while on this project, I'm going to cast my vote for Good Omens. It's easy, lighthearted, and very funny. Or maybe you should read it immediately after your project, to help your brain relax a bit...

message 26: by (G)Emma (new)

(G)Emma  (litlover) | 2396 comments The Book Thief.

message 27: by Lisa (new)

Lisa | 52 comments I'm reading Wind Up Bird Chronicles right now and am NOT enjoying it......almost ready to admit defeat.

message 28: by Lori, Super Mod (new)

Lori (TNBBC) | 9093 comments Mod
Perhaps it would have been easier just to post a poll, Swaminathan. Btw, I see you posted this exact thread in the 1001 group......

Do you not trust our judgement, or are you just really curious?

message 29: by Shredder (last edited Feb 06, 2009 05:24PM) (new)

Shredder | 20 comments Lori wrote: "Perhaps it would have been easier just to post a poll, Swaminathan. Btw, I see you posted this exact thread in the 1001 group......

Do you not trust our judgement, or are you just really curious?"

I don't know how to create a poll, I'm a newbie here. Any pointers?

Ofcourse I do trust your collective judgement, I've not actually counted the number of occurences...but I'm sure I did go by majority vote over choosing the 3 books...

message 30: by Fiona (last edited Feb 06, 2009 05:29PM) (new)

Fiona (bookcoop) Lisa wrote: "I'm reading Wind Up Bird Chronicles right now and am NOT enjoying it......almost ready to admit defeat."

Nooo, Lisa it's good. :( I preferred his Kafka on the Shore though. If you want a straight normal story though, might not be for you.

message 31: by Sherry (new)

Sherry | 49 comments Maybe save the 3rd one as a 'lighter' read, in case it extends into your 12hr/day work week. I figure you got to take a 'break' now and then, at least to eat. A 'not so serious' book during your meal will help your mind relax, as well as being a bit easier to put down when you need to get back to the grind.

Check in when you come up for air!

message 32: by Liz (new)

Liz (HisSheep) | 463 comments Swaminathan wrote: "Hi All,

I will be busy from the next week onwards, I'll be doing a new software project that's painstakingly time consuming... and it'd probably take 12 hours a day. So I wanted to spend some of..."

In Cold Blood
The Kite Runner

message 33: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 218 comments Book Thief and Kite Runner! Enjoy!

message 34: by Serri (new)

Serri Shadow of the Wind and Kite Runner. Also loved Book Thief. Just finished it. All were great!

message 35: by Jeane (new)

Jeane | 4891 comments Shadow of the wind because it is a wonderful books and The book thief because everybody on here is making me curious but I keep picking it and putting it back.
Not The kiterunner because thought it was too pushy.

message 36: by Ed (new)

Ed (ejhahn) | 193 comments Kite Runner! Kite Runner! Kite Runner! Kite Runner!

message 37: by Linda (new)

Linda | 887 comments Swaminathan wrote: "Hi All,

Shadow of the Wind and The Book Thief. Sorry we will miss you over the next weeks, but these are awesome.

message 38: by Shredder (last edited Feb 13, 2009 06:08AM) (new)

Shredder | 20 comments First of all, I'd like to thank all of you for participating in this threa!

Shadow Of the Wind:
Mysterious, Captivating and interesting imagery. The translation is near perfect. Recommended!

The Book Thief:
Such an haunting tale. Poweful, moving and remarkable.
His ability to create mood using words is special.

I had read "The Boy in the striped Pyjamas" the other day after watching the movie version, I highly recommend watching the movie first before reading the book! One of the rare movies that managed to drive me to tears.

message 39: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Tufo (melissamarilyn) Definitely The Book Thief by Markus Zusak. It's possibly one of the most fabulous books I've ever read. If you're interested in more, I'd also suggest another one of his books, I Am the Messenger (no relation to TBT). While most people don't think of it quite as good as TBT, it's still an incredible book. Zusak is a magician.

However, that's the only book I've read from your list. Other than that I'd have to just go with The Kite Runner, as it's been recommended to me and I've heard people rave about how good it is.

Happy reading!

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

I Am the Messenger (other topics)
The Kite Runner (other topics)
The Book Thief (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Markus Zusak (other topics)