The Sword and Laser discussion

Anton Strout
This topic is about Anton Strout
Podcasts > S&L Podcast - #110 - Interview with Anton Strout

Comments (showing 1-12 of 12) (12 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Becca, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Mod
It's a virtual bachelorette party of SciFi and Fantasy discussion today, with a chat about how SciFi can be interesting if it follows the laws of physics, and an interview with author Anton Strout.

http://www.swordandlaser.com/home/201...

Enjoy!

William Brine (w13rdo) | 37 comments Yeah, I wanted to read Cloud Atlas, but I've so many other books on my read list. Now I have the perfect excuse!

Anton | 23 comments Thanks for having me on, Tom and Veronica. Hearing your William Gibson stuff in the Quick Burns I should have told the story of the day he walked by my office, and his editor popped her head in to say "Bill and I are grabbing some sandwiches, you wanna come with?"

So there I was, just eatin' Grey Dog sammiches, talking to one of my writing HEROES like it's no big thing... I may have peed a little.

Rob (robzak) | 2282 comments Podcast days are the only time I wish my commute to work was longer. I was very tempted to sit out in my car listening, especially because I had to cut it off mid-story.

Oh well something to look forward to on the ride home.

message 5: by Kris (last edited Sep 18, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 750 comments Thanks for another good show. Loved the talk around the urban fantasy talk and the bringing of "real" world elements into fantasy. Bureaucracy is definitely something that comes with the modern world. Totally agree with Anton about Anita Blake books. Anton was a great interview. He is a fun guy.

Tamahome | 4245 comments Did Tom pop out of a cake?

message 7: by Casey (last edited Sep 18, 2012 09:49AM) (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 549 comments Fun show as always, really enjoyed the interview.

@Tom – Love the enthusiasm, keep it up! But did I mishear or did you use the word "bounded" instead of bound when referring to restrictive boundaries? I'm not trying to be an ass; I'm more interested if I misheard you, as this would indicate a possible braincloud on my part.

message 8: by Becca, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Becca (Becca_Canote) | 101 comments Mod
Tamahome wrote: "Did Tom pop out of a cake?"

That's old hat for Tom. Its not a Sword & Laser video shoot without Tom popping out of a cake.

message 9: by Philip (last edited Sep 20, 2012 04:48PM) (new)

Philip (heard03) | 379 comments Anton wrote: "Thanks for having me on, Tom and Veronica. Hearing your William Gibson stuff in the Quick Burns I should have told the story of the day he walked by my office, and his editor popped her head in to ..."

I checked out your podcast and listened to the Patrick Rothfuss & Saladin(really cool name) Ahmed episodes- very fun and interesting show, definitely a new regular 'cast for me. Thanks for coming onto S&L!

For anyone else interested in Anton's show: http://blog.antonstrout.com/

terpkristin | 2602 comments Great episode! I was finally able to listen to it today while grocery shopping. I had never hears of Anton Strout before, but now I've got a couple of his books tagged to procure. Thanks for introducing me to his works!

message 11: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 689 comments Mod
Casey wrote: "Fun show as always, really enjoyed the interview.

@Tom – Love the enthusiasm, keep it up! But did I mishear or did you use the word "bounded" instead of bound when referring to restrictive bounda..."

I was drinking, so I may have said bounded. Don't jump in a volcano please, just in case.

Robert Nasuti (rlnasuti) | 30 comments I'm catching up and just listening to this podcast now.

Wouldn't Neil Gaiman be a good example of an Urban Fantasy writer? I'm thinking of American Gods and Neverwhere in particular, but I actually think most of his stuff would fit into that category. And his stories have very little "paranormal romance".

unread topics | mark unread