SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Shadow of Night (All Souls Trilogy, #2)
This topic is about Shadow of Night
Member Buddy Reads > October Buddy Read - Shadow of Night by Deborah Harkness

Comments (showing 1-50 of 50) (50 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Sep 17, 2012 12:24AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Breann and I will be reading/listening to the sequel to The Discovery of Witches. Please feel free to join us!

I am free any week of October except the week of the 28th - when will be the best for you guys?

Think I'll make this over 2 weeks as well because it's also hefty.

message 2: by Breann (last edited Sep 19, 2012 06:00AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Breann Thanks for setting this up Jeann. Since it's looks like it just you and me does the beginning of the month work for you? Or it that too soon? If we go with the first couple weeks of October I'm going to continue listening to the book as I'm sure you'll catch up to me. But I've been writing down thoughts as I go so I can still discuss.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Oh, I think I'll see if it fits in with a shelf that is called, how does that sound?

Ashley  (AshleyCW) | 95 comments Let me know when you guys are going to start.

message 6: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Sep 21, 2012 11:52PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Will do, Ashley! It'd be great to have you :)

Karen | 4 comments Jeann wrote: "Will do, Ashley! It'd be great to have you :)"

I have read and listened to this book after loving the first one. Some people found the amount of history and historical characters too much, but that was my favorite thing about it. This is a great, big meaty read, with loads of action and a completely different look at Elizabethan history. It would fit into the historical romance genre as well I think. Matthew is a much darker character in this, and you will never think of Dr. Faustas in the same way again. You're in for a feast! Enjoy.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Ohh, I actually loved the historical accounts but funnily enough I found the first one to take heavy inspiration from Twilight, which is why I only rated it 3 stars. I've heard good things about the 2nd one so I'm really anticipating it :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments I went out and bought this book in anticipation of our buddy read yesterday, and when I came home I wondered why I did that because it's such a big book to carry around, lol!

Ashley  (AshleyCW) | 95 comments I almost didn't read A Discovery of Witches because it is so big. So glad I did though.

Breann Jeann wrote: "I went out and bought this book in anticipation of our buddy read yesterday, and when I came home I wondered why I did that because it's such a big book to carry around, lol!"

LOL, you need an ereader!

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Lol I do have a kindle, I like to read on print better though so I tend to alternate.

message 13: by Rose (last edited Sep 30, 2012 06:54AM) (new)

Rose | 1 comments Can I play too? Have we started? I read this when it first came out, as I had (quite coincidentally) just discovered Discovery (henceforth DOW). So, of course, I devoured it. Now I am listening to it in the car, which is quite a different experience. I only get to listen when I'm driving! I find that I'm picking up all kinds of neat details, word play ("the water witches trickled in through the day..." And bits of plot that my hurried first reading had missed.

Question to start with: how hard do you think it would really be to adapt to life in the 1590s? And if you had a choice, where would you go in time?

Breann No we haven't started yet. I'm listening too. I loved the narrator so much in DOW I couldn't imagine NOT listening to this one! We decided to wait and see if it fits a Bingo shelf. Of course you may join us!! :)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments OK guys seeing as this fits into the Vampires shelf for bingo this week, you guys all ready to pick it up soonish?

Breann I'm ready whenever! I won't be using for the shelf so it doesn't matter to me.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Ok, gonna pick it up after the book im reading :)

Breann Been listening for a while... so I'll get started here.
Ch. 1-4
(view spoiler)

Lisa P | 252 comments Karen wrote: "I have read and listened to this book after loving the first one. Some people found the amount of history and historical characters too much, but that was my favorite thing about it..."

I agree completely Karen...the history was my favorite part as well! Hope you all enjoy this book as much as I did!

Breann I love how Diana mentions these people like I should know who they are. Cause I don't.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments LOL you're hilarious! I haven't started this yet, hopefully in 2 days or so.

Breann You'll like this one Jeann. Took awhile to get into it like the first one, but once it does its really good!

I especially love the audio with all the different characters and their accents. I know that I wouldn't know how to pronounce half of the names if I were just reading it. Love this narrator!!

Josie | 1897 comments I was really confused over a scene that happened in the first book.

You know when Diana and Matthew went back in time to his home in France (for sentimental reasons?) and they danced again and she made sure to wear the same clothes. Where were Matthew and Diana of the past? Did I read something wrong?

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Ok just picked up this book, I'm enjoying the language again.

Josie, I can't actually remember the circumstances of the first book that well!

Breann Josie, in the second book it's explained that when a person time walks they take the place of the past version of themselves. There can only be one version of yourself at a time. When Diana and Matthew go to the 16th century the present Matthew replaces the past Matthew. So when they will travel back to the present the past Matthew will be back. Does that make sense?

Josie | 1897 comments Yes thank you! It just wasn't explained in the first book so I was pretty confused!

Though thinking about it, didn't Matthew warn Diana that past-Matthew wasn't very nice and to be careful of him? And if they're going back in time, won't Matthew have to be where past-Matthew was? And take the same actions, etc so as not to ruin the future? Won't Matthew know what has happened already?

Breann Yes... where I am in the book that is a current issue for them actually! They've alrerady altered some of the future. I like how the POV will change to a character in the present and we can see little things happening to alter the present/future. It's especially difficult when past-Matthew didn't care about the prosecution of witches and present-Matthew has to go along with those feelings.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Breann wrote: "I love how Diana mentions these people like I should know who they are. Cause I don't."

Ok I am in Chapter 3 now and I totally know what you mean! I don't know who these characters in history are and I don't know who the people shes just met are. This seems like we're reading some olden day novel or something.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments I'm on page 89 or something and this has a totally different feel to the first one. Firstly, there's not much happening at all. I'm finding the olden day setting in Matthew's past kind of boring. Also she keeps on name-dropping all these ppl and I have no idea why/who! TBH I'm kind of bored of it atm.

Breann Keep at it Jeann! It gets better IMO. Yes, in the beginning nothing is happening! They're acting like they're on vacay... umm shouldn't you be ya know... finding a witch or something?? I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't know these historical people though :D

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Awesome, I guess that's the downside to having a hefty book, it's slow moving! I guess the first was like that as well. Where are you up to at the moment Breann?

Breann I'm about 75% the way through.

Have you gotten to Ch's 5 & 6 yet??

(view spoiler)

Just some of my ramblings earlier in the book that I had BUT Matthew does start to win me over later on in the book.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Yup I'm in Chapter 11 at the moment...I have no idea what's going on lol! (view spoiler)

It feels like I'm reading a completely different book to the first one! I don't know if that's a good thing...

All this being in the past stuff must be a dream come true for a historian!

Breann I really did like Philippe. I thought his decorating for Christmas was funny.

I had assumed that they hadn’t consummated their marriage for pregnancy reasons. But I guess there’s more? Matthew is, once again, trying to decide what’s best for Diana. C’mon! Girl is being hunted in the future, now in the past, your mom didn’t like her and now your dad doesn’t, she doesn’t know how to use/control her magic. She’s full of issues at this point, girl needs to get laid!

At least we understand what has been wrong with Matthew. I did feel for him when he was remembering his wife and son. The scenes with him in the church (i think it was a church) were heartbreaking.

I'll wait until you're further along to continue...

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Ok, I'm now up to London (Part III) and things are more interesting now that we're following Diana and Matthew a bit more. (view spoiler)

Breann Yep. Here comes the Twilight Jeann! I figured that they would end up being pregnant I just didn’t expect it to be this soon. And finally, Diana realizes that she still needs to find a witch to help her with her magic. It took her being pregnant to realize that they aren’t tourists! This isn’t a vacay. Now Matthew is talking about sightseeing?! WTH? I do agree with him that she shouldn’t have a baby in the 16th century. Yes, women had babies then, but why subject yourself to that if you don’t have to? I loved her "I’m not hormonal!" before he even said anything. LOL. So true so true. When women are hormonal men assume that that’s the problem. Um no. I’m pissed because you’re a jackass. Not because of hormones. Nice try though.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Lol I totally agree with you Breann...I am not sure what they are doing in the 16th Century. Particularly in London, here I am led to believe they were looking for a witch and when she finally finds one all she's doing is finding stationary...really wtf are they doing here anyway? Firstly Matthew is worse off and seems to be a bit of a d*ck, it's even more dangerous for Diana being there now that she's pregnant and she's strangely stubborn, why wouldn't you want to go home and be with your aunties when you have a strange child?? uggh.

Breann I'm coming to the end (about 2 hrs left) and I'm still not sure what the purpose of time walking was? Yes, she did find a witch and found out some important things about herself, but so much time was spent in court. About half of the book could have been taken out I feel. What I liked was the time with the witches and finding Ashmole 782. I was expecting more if that. More fast paced, racing against time to get what they need and get out. I just don't care about their time with the Emperor (that whole play thing? who cares!!) or the Queen. On my phone can't spoiler tag... I love how her dad called them out on their time wasted and the effects they're going to see. There's no way all this time they've spent there isn't going to change the future.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments I'm about 57% of the way through, Chapter 23 where (view spoiler)

I expected more finding Ashmore and more magic too. There's lots of time wasted in meeting Matthew's friends, sightseeing, teaching Diana the olden day ways, I mean just get on with it will you!!

My favourite part so far was when they met Philippe. What a lovely, doting man. The rest of it, please cut out! I feel like it waffles on and on with no goal whatsoever.

Breann Philippe was one if my favorite parts of the book too. I feel like he was what Matthew should have been in this series. Strong, sure of himself, a quieter sense of authority, alpha-male... all without being a jerk half the time.

It's going to be hard rating this book. It could have been really great! There were some fun and exciting scenes hidden amongst all the crap. Like I tell my students... I can't grade you on your potential, just on what you earn. :)

message 41: by Jeann (Happy Indulgence) (last edited Oct 18, 2012 02:34PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments OK, I've come to the conclusion that Diana is a daft idiot. She's supposed to be a super intelligent professor of some sort, but all she does is question people who try and help her.

I've just reached the end of Chapter 24, where (view spoiler) and what does Diana do? *naggy voice* "What are you doing Matthew? You can't just take that and waltz into the dude's library"

WHAT ARE YOU DOING WOMAN! He's trying to help, and if he didn't you'd never get your stupid Ashmore 782!!

The same thing happened when Matthew suggested that she go back to the present to give birth. "Noo, my baby isn't important and I don't need to be with my pseudo parents when I give birth! My powers and the stupid manuscript are more important!"

And I'm pretty sure they came to the past to find the Manuscript. But instead they spend the whole book gallivanting around doing absolutely nothing of value to their original mission except towards the last 1/4 of the book when one of Matthew's friends/servants/who cares suddenly and conveniently goes "omg I've found it!"

And how about those stupid powers. All she's done so far is cry so much that she'll drown (aka witchwater - sounds more impressive that way), randomly summon a bow and arrow to kill off some baddy, make a chicken come out of an egg and kill off some plants. Very impressive.

*BIG FACEPALM*

This book is frustating! Make it stop!

Breann I thought the finding of the manuscript was kind of random. We didn't hear much about it and then some guy all of a sudden found it? I didn't even realize Matthew had someone looking for it.

I did like the explanation of her not being able to do spells is because she's a weaver. But I would have liked to have more of that! At the end of the book (view spoiler)

I don't know if I would have finished if it weren't an audiobook. Thank goodness for the different voices! The characters seemed to have at least 2 names they went by. If not for the voice change I don't know if I could have kept up with who's who.

Josie | 1897 comments Breann, what did you rate A Discovery of Witches? Because I didn't really like that book at all and feel like it doesn't get better. All the stuff you've talked about annoyed me in #1 so I probably won't bother with this one (seeing as it's so long as well!).

Breann I rated the first one 3 stars. In the beginning this one seemed as though it was going to be better than the first, but then it just dragged. Diana and Matthew don't make any progress. By the end, they are in the same place with the same challenges as they were in A Discovery of Witches.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments I am hovering towards 1-2 stars at this point as well Breann, it's just frustrating me so much. I think I may have abandoned it if we didn't have a buddy read or if I didn't actually go out and purchase the book. Although 1 star is Fifty Shades Darker territory so I'm not sure if it's actually THAT bad...

I rated Discovery of Witches a 3 but at least that one had a so-called plot, whereas this one is all over the place.

I still don't know who those characters are (and don't really care).

That being said, it is actually getting better and more to the point once you reach Chapter 23 onwards. It was just a big fat waste of time beforehand though (except for that Part with Philippe)

Josie | 1897 comments Thanks guys! Lol, glad you did the hard part and had to slog through - I struggled a lot with the first so probably would have abandoned.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments I'm on the last stretch, just reached part 4. (view spoiler)

I can't help thinking that as a historian, Diana should somewhat be more academically curious or excited about her situation in visiting these places in the past and meeting big historical figures. Somehow, I think the novel should be more atmospheric. It's got some interesting settings and places but it just doesn't do them justice. Instead of focusing on the setting and feel of the time it just focuses on the bunch of strange characters, weird languages and Diana/Matthew's annoying traits.

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Just reviewed it on my blog here: http://happyindulgence.wordpress.com/...

If the third book comes out I'm not reading it. Lol

Breann Did you see that this won for Best Paranormal Fantasy? (along with FSoG winning for Best Romance? WTF?)

Jeann (Happy Indulgence)  (happyindulgence) | 1146 comments Haha I know right? I can't believe so many people voted for it. We must be in the minority :P

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

A Discovery of Witches (other topics)