Unspoken (The Lynburn Legacy, #1) Unspoken discussion


397 views
What do you think of the ending?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 65) (65 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Anne (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:18AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anne Especially where Jared says, (view spoiler)


message 2: by Liana (last edited Sep 15, 2012 06:27PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Liana I just finished it like three minutes ago and I think I am shock. It was such a cruel ending and I was really surprised because I thought his feeling for her present earlier in the book than Kami's. I can think of only three reasons for him to say that: he means it, he thinks thats how she feels or he is trying to get her out of this mess.

Seriously, I need someone to comfort me about this ending or reassure me that he didn't mean it. what is going to happen if he did, she's going to end up with Ash??


Anne That's what I'm unsure about what as well. Did he mean it or was he just protecting her and has some sort of alternate agenda?

Either way, I don't think Kami could ever get with Ash though. Not after what he did.


Liana There are no clues/body language that suggests that he doesn't mean it. Maybe he is under a spell! haha. Idk. Yeah I think Ash is a goober but he did the right thing in the end. So if Jared is out I want a new character.


Erika "You´re nothing special"....I don´t know about Kami but I would never forgive him


Liana Rebecca wrote: "I was so shocked. Then i got so angry I was so close to punching a hole in my wall. I also wanted to punch Jared in the face. I felt so bad for Kami. I want them to be together, but Brennan says th..."

do you know where Brenna said that? I'd like to read it.

I was just really surprised that he felt that way because it seemed like he really need someone to understand him and someone to be on his side and even without the connection Kami is that person. They know each other better than anyone.

Although I agree with Kami in breaking the connection because being a couple just because of their supernatural connection is lame but ugh them being together makes more sense than someother supernatural romance books.


Htrain I am hoping that either he does having feeling and he is just hiding them, or Kami is going to have to show him Love. I also heard that the author talked about Kami and Jared my not be a love match. I have to admit as much as I loved this book and will still read the other books, I will be royally disappointed if they dont end up together. I have a thing about love and romance in books, they can't change. :)


Liana I think its refreshing to change but I really like them together even though it was super bizarre how he would never touch her and I would like an explanation for that. I was just so surpirsed by him being so mean.


Natasha Rebecca wrote: "I was so shocked. Then i got so angry I was so close to punching a hole in my wall. I also wanted to punch Jared in the face. I felt so bad for Kami. I want them to be together, but Brennan says th..."

lol awesome. that was essentially my reaction also. the end of the book made me 10000x even MORE interested in reading the second book, but i'll still be disappointed in my fan girl heart if they don't end up together. but then again, they never even kissed and didn't hold hands or even touch...
so dramatic!


message 10: by inga (last edited Sep 24, 2012 10:23AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

inga Liana wrote: "Rebecca wrote: "I was so shocked. Then i got so angry I was so close to punching a hole in my wall. I also wanted to punch Jared in the face. I felt so bad for Kami. I want them to be together, but..."

Yep, apparently Jared and Kami aren't necessarily endgame: http://bookpassionforlife.blogspot.fr...
(You have to scroll down a bit)
And I think it might be possible that Kami will start something with Ash, who knows: http://sarahreesbrennan.tumblr.com/po...


I don't know, I have thought of the possibility of Jared saying that only to keep Kami save (which kind of reminded me of Will Herondale from Cassandra Clare's The Infernal Devices series )as well but that seems unlike him; he isn't very good at deceiving people, is he?

I really did not saw that ending coming, it caught me completely off guard and that rarely happens to me.


Britan I think he did it because of what she said when she broke the connection. He could feel everything she said was true and I think it hurt his feelings so he was protecting hiself from the pain.


Liana but she also told him she loved him.


message 13: by Beth (new) - rated it 3 stars

Beth Mmmm... I'm more concerned about their lack of connection than what Jared said. I loved the book... but neither Jared or Kami really stood out to me as individual characters. Even as a reader, it was the connection that made them special, and developing them as two well-rounded, disctinct characters after introducing them as a pair is going to be pretty tough.

Besides, what is a YA-PNR book these days without at least one semi-abusive love interest? hehehe. ^_^


Samia Ruponti I think Jared was just angry at Kami,so he said that. but that's okay, since I'm more interested in seeing them individually and fall in love on their own, not because of some bond.


Sandra Rebecca wrote: "I was so shocked. Then i got so angry I was so close to punching a hole in my wall. I also wanted to punch Jared in the face. I felt so bad for Kami. I want them to be together, but Brennan says th..."

good i wasn't the only one at the brink of violence. GRRRRRRRRRRR.... if he means it im going to lose it.. i reallllllly hope for the safety of all the walls on the planet that he was just saying what he thought Kami felt... otherwise wall should start hiding NOW >:|


message 16: by Greta (last edited Oct 03, 2012 06:19PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Greta I really think it was a very Jared reaction. Whenever he was hurt by something, he lashed out emotionally.
I think he's reacting to what Kami said to Rob about the connection, and that she didn't listen/ wait for him before she acted.

I kind of hated Kami towards the end....so unwilling to make herself more emotionally vulnerable to Jared, that she sort of cut off her nose to spite her face.

Or... She really did sever their connection to protect Jared. If she thought she was goingtodie, and she didn't want Jared to die too.

If Jared and kami are not end game I will lose it! I would not continue the series. There's got t o be a HEA for these two cause I'm emotionally invested!


Virginia Greta wrote: "I really think it was a very Jared reaction. Whenever he was hurt by something, he lashed out emotionally.
I think he's reacting to what Kami said to Rob about the connection, and that she didn't ..."


I couldn't agree with you more! -I think Jared was hurt and scared and so he lashed out at Kami. I'm hoping that they fall in love in the next book and I keep thinking that they might have to reestablished their bond again in order to fight Rob and his minions. Rob did say that the bond between a source and a sourcerer was voluntary, so maybe they can do make it happen. though I thinks it's healthy that they are their own person for a while. They need to know who they really are as individual, Jared most of all


Rashika (is tired) Anne wrote: "Especially where Jared says, [spoilers removed]"
he was being a jerk but i know he doesnt mean it.
i have a feeling i know why he said that but that still doesnt excuse him from being a jerk.


Rashika (is tired) Anne wrote: "That's what I'm unsure about what as well. Did he mean it or was he just protecting her and has some sort of alternate agenda?

Either way, I don't think Kami could ever get with Ash though. Not af..."


okay so in my opinion he was pissed at her for not waiting long enough, he didnt want to lose the connection and now that its gone he feels lonely, no one will be able to trust him, he used to be able to count on Kami but kami wont know if he is telling the truth or not because she cannot check inside his head to be sure.


Rashika (is tired) Greta wrote: "I really think it was a very Jared reaction. Whenever he was hurt by something, he lashed out emotionally.
I think he's reacting to what Kami said to Rob about the connection, and that she didn't ..."


SAME HERE!!
she was all sad and whiny she should have lashed back at him instead of telling him to go to hell.. thats what he wanted!


message 21: by Bren (new) - rated it 5 stars

Bren yes very Jared but still awful to hear.. Now I am curious to see if this will change how I feel when I read the sequel because, the talking in the heads is one thing I loved of Unspoken.


Liana Did you guys read the untold snippet...torture


Sandra Liana wrote: "Did you guys read the untold snippet...torture"

noooooo.... were is it?


message 24: by Sandra (last edited Oct 31, 2012 05:01PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Sandra I found the snippet.....excuse me language... OH SHIT WTF!?!??!?! What about Kami? Angela? POR AMOR A ...!!!!!!! porque lo iso porque el estaba enamorado de Kami? no enteindo?!! OHHHH crap i wrote that in Spanish... my bad but not going to erase it because shows how i feel and its mad work (sorry if i spelled things wring i don't right in Spanish often.).... well im still fucking mad how could he do that the evil fucker i better not find him in a dark place i sooo kick the living shit out of him... forget that he has magic fuck that im pissed and could sooooo take his ass right now... grrrrrrr


Sandovita I was mad as hell!! Although the one I wanted to punch in the face was Kami, soooo muuuuch doubting!!! even though she knew him since they were babies!! ugh!


Virginia Sandovita wrote: "I was mad as hell!! Although the one I wanted to punch in the face was Kami, soooo muuuuch doubting!!! even though she knew him since they were babies!! ugh!"

I didn't hate Kami for that, but it did annoyed me that she insisted on having Jared on the suspect list. I mean, she's known him forever and yet she would think him capable of being a murdered? That just didn't make sense...


Lydia Strope Well I'm pretty sure there's gonna be a sequel so I'm not tooooooooooo mad about it :)


message 28: by [deleted user] (new)

Rashika wrote: "Anne wrote: "Especially where Jared says, [spoilers removed]"
he was being a jerk but i know he doesnt mean it.
i have a feeling i know why he said that but that still doesnt excuse him from being ..."


i so hope you are right he CANNOT mean what he said, they've know and relied on each other and then he says that its... i cant even explain it. it is one of those book you've got to wait till you get the sequel before reading otherwise you'll spend the delay ripping your hair out


message 29: by Rashika (is tired) (last edited Nov 12, 2012 10:17AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Rashika (is tired) Liana wrote: "Did you guys read the untold snippet...torture"

holy macaroni!!!
OMG!!
okay *deep breath*
She gave us that snippet on purpose because remember how she said that kami and jared might not be a couple.. i think this was to prove her point.
I swear to god i wont read this series if Jared and Kami dont end up together or at least you know some kind of resolution between the two. Although i have my own theories about why he did what he did in that scene.
Wait.. could it be because Kami was dating Ash? because we know he was interested in her and after what Jared said to her at the end of the book she wouldnt want anything to do with Jared so she started hanging out with Ash more and it hurt him so he did that to like idk... not make her jealous exactly but to reassure himself that he didnt care?
OMG this cannot be happening.. *whimpers* i loved you sarah how could you torture me like this?


Rashika (is tired) Marie wrote: "Rashika wrote: "Anne wrote: "Especially where Jared says, [spoilers removed]"
he was being a jerk but i know he doesnt mean it.
i have a feeling i know why he said that but that still doesnt excuse..."

Thats EXACTLY how i feel.. i keep on re reading the good parts from the first book because i might just die in the wait.


Isabelle Terrible ending, I was in shock.


Kadie D♥ The story was perfect, the ending was killing.

BUT whatever is going to happen Kami and Jared just have to be together at the end!!!!

No Ash or anyone else, if not I swear I will tear the pages of the paperback and bury it in the garden.


Rashika (is tired) Doris wrote: "The story was perfect, the ending was killing.

BUT whatever is going to happen Kami and Jared just have to be together at the end!!!!

No Ash or anyone else, if not I swear I will tear the pages o..."


Dont bury it in your garden, there would still be remnants of it left behind to hurt you everytime you thought about it. In case an ending like that happens i will start writing hate mail although that wouldnt do anything.


message 34: by Imani (last edited Dec 08, 2012 11:49PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Imani The ending gutted me. I was devastated. When Jared Said "You're nothing special," it brought tears to my eyes. I was so hurt for Kami. Of course she did kind of set herself up for that. She wouldn't open up to him but I can understand that. She was afraid of being rejected. Every time she would try to touch him he would flinch away from her. Every time he would back away from her touch was a physical rejection so I don't think she could have dealt with a verbal one and then still have him in her head.

And then Jared would say all these sweet things that showed how much he cared about her but wouldn't touch her. I seriously need an explanation for that. I went and read the Untold snippet right after I finished the book and it made me wanna punch a wall. I was so mad at Jared. I'm desperate for Untold now.

I never bought that they would fall in love with each other because of the link. The link only really made them able to read each other. It didn't force their feelings. They got to know each other through it an that created the feelings. The was I see it is the link didn't guarantee they would grow up and like each other.

Seriously the ST between them was something else. I love this scene and I think if her dad hadn't walked in they might have crossed that physical barrier between them :

"It was too intimate, morning sunlight and rumpled sheets and silence. It made Jared think— or perhaps she was the one who thought it— of when they were fourteen. There were thoughts you couldn’t help having at fourteen, thoughts they couldn’t help sharing. Kami thought of them now and felt the blood wash hot into her face. He was real now, and looking down at her, lying close beside her. The mattress dipped under his weight, so her body inclined naturally toward his. She touched his mind and saw his intense focus on her, their minds mirrors reflecting back on each bed."

Last thing; What happened when they were fourteen? I have to know. lol


Rashika (is tired) Imani wrote: "The ending gutted me. I was devastated. When Jared Said "You're nothing special," it brought tears to my eyes. I was so hurt for Kami. Of course she did kind of set herself up for that. She wouldn'..."

thats exactly it. Jared is pushing her away because he is too scared.. the only reason he was better with the link was because it was a way for her to trust him. Most people are scared of him otherwise and dont believe him.. he doesnt want to see kami have doubts about him so it seems better if he pushes her away
because there is no hope for him (at least thats what his mom says)

maybe she'll post the 14 thing as a story in the lynburn legacy universe.


message 36: by Isa (new) - rated it 2 stars

Isa I really didn't like the end. It was like "After all they've been through, and now this? Come on!".


Rashika (is tired) its a series they will figure something out. :/ i was mad at first too but i thought over it and analyzed Jared's character a bit and came to the conclusion given above.


message 38: by Virginia (last edited Dec 14, 2012 09:09PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Virginia Rebecca wrote: "Can someone give me a link to the untold snippet?"

Enjoy
December (I Love Rusty!)
http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/205...

November
http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/205...

October
http://sarahtales.livejournal.com/204...


Leigh Herondale I was like "Seriously??WTF? Oh no." I didn't know hot to react to that ending. Can't wait for the next book though that's for sure.


message 40: by Kez (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kez Green He was just hurt that she cut him off I think. They'll end up together or I'll cry! Loved the book though


message 41: by Krie (new) - rated it 4 stars

Krie Greta wrote: "I really think it was a very Jared reaction. Whenever he was hurt by something, he lashed out emotionally.

I completely agree with this sentence. And Jared doesn’t even necessarily have to be hurt by someone to act this way. I think its very clear that he intentionally makes people think he’s the bad boy type. This is just his personality.

Anyways, besides this, I think we have to consider how insecure Jared was in his relationship with Kami. There was even a time that she doubted him and briefly considered that he could be the killer. Of course Kami considered that all her other fiends might be the killer too, but they couldn’t read her thoughts.

So Jared had a lot of reasons to be insecure in Kami and his relationship. It was probably the first time he ever made a real friend. He could sense Kami doubts when she had them. They had to fight for their relationship in the first place (once they realized they were both real people). More importantly, their relationship was not yet defined, nor did either of them have the time to become comfortable in it. So yes, many insecurities.

So I think part of the reason Jared lashed out at Kami is because he was hurt. She severed this huge connection between them. And he desperately asked her not to (though considering it was a life or death situation, I don’t think I disagree with what Kami did). So part of it was likely a retaliation out of anger. But the biggest reason I think he did it was because he suddenly didn’t know where he stood with Kami. And it was probably easier for him to reject her then wait for her to reject him. Plus, the physical/emotional side effects of the severed connection probably only made it worse. If I remember right, Kami felt pretty darn weird after the connection ended. Anyways I think it’s all these things. And it was completely within Jared’s character to do so.

I think this will be one of the books where the author will kill us with the anticipation before Kami and Jared ever really get together. I mean consider her Demon’s Lexicon series. Those characters had some serious struggles before getting together.


Katie The ending was very surprising and heartbreaking. I'm rarely affected by a book's ending as much as I was by this one. I though it was good, but I feel so bad for Kami. The part where Jared says, "you're nothing special" made me want to cry. I think that the next book will explore how their feelings for each other were affected by the bond. I really hope they end up together. Their relationship was very quirky and adorable.


message 43: by Ashley (last edited Jan 07, 2013 12:18AM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Ashley I disliked the ending so much I refuse to read the rest of the books. Let that be a reminder to writers. I don't think I'm alone in that sentiment either. It's like a slight of hand, taking that last piece of chocolate. I was pissed off, and I don't like finishing a book pissed off, it was not a great feeling. I will give the author dibs for breaking the mold a little, but then again, didn't Edward leave in the second Twilight book.......nevermind same old triangle annoying BS.


Also if I find out Kami doesn't take him back after that cold hearted statement "you're nothing special." Then I may find the book redemable, but if he treats her like crap and she takes it, hello Bella.


Also, Jared's statement and treatment of her throughout the book was typically cold. Their first meeting, etc etc. So that whole oh its okay because thats how he is stuff is well...dumb. It's like saying daddy hits me because I'm bad. Its not okay to treat people you care about like shit. The End.


Katie I really fell in love with Jared. Too hard. Kami was not my favorite main character, but I felt bad for the heartbreak. Jared can't be tamed, even by Kami and she learns that the hard way. I am just happy she didn't end up with Ash who was very annoying. I want to know what happens next but I have to admit that I hope Jared stays. He is the reason this book was so good.


Lizbeth I learned to love Jared all through out the book but the ending had me rattled. You could feel the hints that he loved Kami but the ending had me questioning. Did he really love her or did he only care for her because she was connected with him or because she was his childhood friend and therefore knew all of his secrets? Now I don't know who to go for. Ash?Rusty?Jared? I hope that the second book comes out soon so I can have my answer.


Bryan It was really shocking with Jared ended his relationship with Kami. Like the comments from above i also think that he did it to protect Kami. And maybe Ash will start making his move for Kami and then we'll have a love triangle :)


Rashika (is tired) Bryan wrote: "It was really shocking with Jared ended his relationship with Kami. Like the comments from above i also think that he did it to protect Kami. And maybe Ash will start making his move for Kami and t..."
(I may sound rude, don't mind)
ARE YOU SAYING YOU WANT A LOVE TRIANGLE????????????


message 48: by Anum (new) - rated it 4 stars

Anum umm please not another love triangle seriously! but I really think he was just hurt she didn't listen to him. He was just being rude on purpose or protecting her or something. That connection was like everything he lived for before he came there and anyways she has written so many novellas from "her" or "his" point of view, there is no way it's ending like that!


message 49: by M (new) - rated it 5 stars

M WHY Sarah Rees Brennan? Why did you do this to us?


Jessica It's almost worse if Jared DIDN'T mean it, because then he'd be lying just to hurt her with insecurities she already had! I finished reading it and though "I can't believe he said that!" But then I realized that I COULD believe it. Oh my God, this book is messing with my emotions. Whyyyyyy?!?! I wish my computer was capable of typing an interrobang.


« previous 1
back to top

all discussions on this book | post a new topic


Books mentioned in this topic

Unspoken (other topics)