EBMRG discussion

Reviews 2012 > October 2012 Reviews

Comments (showing 1-1 of 1) (1 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by LJ (last edited Oct 04, 2012 12:43PM) (new)

LJ (LJRoberts) | 86 comments Mod
The Library of the Dead (aka Secret of the Seventh Son) (Suspense-Will Piper-New York City-Cont/8th Century) – 1st book – Glenn Cooper
A murderer is on the loose on the streets of New York City: nicknamed the Doomsday Killer, he’s claimed six victims in just two weeks, and the city is terrified. Even worse, the police are mystified: the victims have nothing in common... In desperation, the FBI assigns the case to maverick agent Will Piper, once the most accomplished serial killing expert in the bureau’s history… Battling his own demons, Will is determined to catch the killer whatever it takes. A secret once lay buried in an underground library beneath an 8th Century monastery, but has now been unearthed – with deadly consequences. A select few defend the secret of the library with their lives – and as Will closes in on the truth, they are determined to stop him, at any cost.

Linda F – DNF – See LJ’s notes as Linda felt very much the same.
LJ – DNF - Unfortunately, after reading the first 100 pages, I didn’t care enough about this book to continue it. The characters, places, and time periods are fragmented with only one element connecting them. Unfortunately, that thread wasn’t strong enough to keep me connected to the book. The author’s style of structuring a plot is one of my least favorite. Just tell me a story, a really good story, beginning to end with strong, compelling characters. This certainly wasn’t it.

Group Rating Average: Not Recommended

White Corridor (Pol Proc-Bryant and May-England-Contemp) – 5th in series – Christopher Fowler
   It’s the classic locked-room mystery—a member of the Peculiar Crimes Unit killed inside a sealed morgue populated only by the dead and to which only four PCU members had a key. To make matters worse, the Unit has been shut down for a forced “vacation,” and Bryant and May are stuck in a van in the Dartmoor countryside during a freak snowstorm. Now they’ll have to crack the case by cell phone while trying to stop a second murder without freezing to death. For among the line of trapped vehicles, a killer is on the prowl, a beautiful woman is on the run, and an innocent child is caught in the middle.

Corona – Okay - I must have been in a bad mood; I usually enjoy, really enjoy, the Bryant and May stories but I found this one formulaic and the mystery resolutions throw-aways, i.e., think of the most far-left solutions then write a pretzel-storyline to explain them. But I enjoyed the friendly references to marijuana.
Linda S – VG – Love Bryant and May as they are such fun characters and they actually detect. Loved that their investigating was done via cell phone. Both the plot twists worked although one made her sad.
LJ – VG - One of the things I love about this series is the creativeness of the plots, and there are so many elements I enjoyed in this book. First, I love the characters; the quirkiness of Bryant and the protectiveness of May. The sense of place was excellent; you felt them stuck in that blizzard and dreaded every time they had to get out of their van and into the cold. I appreciated their helping their colleagues solve the case back at headquarters and the approach that they wouldn’t always be there to solve the cases. Fowler took what could have been a cliché story line and gave us something new with it.

Group Rating Average: G+

The Cruelest Month (Pol Proc-CI Armand Gamache-Three Pines, Canada-Contemp) – 3rd in series – Louise Penny
   Welcome to Three Pines, where the cruelest month is about to deliver on its threat. When some villagers decide to celebrate Easter with a seance at the Old Hadley House, they are hoping to rid the town of its evil---until one of their party dies of fright. Was this a natural death, or was the victim somehow helped along? Brilliant, compassionate Chief Inspector Armand Gamache of the Surete du Quebec is called to investigate, in a case that will force him to face his own ghosts as well as those of a seemingly idyllic town where relationships are far more dangerous than they seem.

Corona - I’m about 1/3 of the way thru but already find it rich, well written and witty. (Several lines asking for the highlighter already. My first impression of Three Pines was reminiscent of Melrose’s hometown in the Grimes/R. Jury novels. But it didn’t take long for the differences to appear: not everybody is harmless, everyone is more complicated and the atmosphere is darker. I find the prose packed with details and therefore slow to read; I need to keep rereading paragraphs to get all the details – I don’t mind this at all. Again, I’m just about a third through so at the risk of making a hasty judgment; the hostility from the Superintendent towards the protagonist (that he isn’t aware of) seems way out of place, it doesn’t fit – a round peg in a square hole. – Since the author comes so highly recommended I trust this will all fall into place soon.
LJ – Ex - There are not a lot of authors whose words beg me to read them aloud, but I spent the weekend annoying a friend with my constant "Listen to this...". There is such humor and incite in Penny's writing. For me, she hits all the right notes; wonderful sense of place, fascinating well-rounded human characters, excellent dialogue, a bit of suspense, meticulous plotting and just a faint touch of spiritualism. I came away from this, and all her books, feeling I've been giving a bit of insight on human nature but never that I've been preached to. For me, this book was so much more than a basic traditional mystery and quite possibly, the best of her books yet. The only problem I had with this book was that life kept getting in the way of my reading time.
Marcy G – Ex - Had read Still Life and thought it was good. Picked this up and through it was so much better. There are very complex characters and she really felt as though the authors was talking to her. She loved every minutes of it; from page one to the very end.

Group Rating Average - Ex

unread topics | mark unread