Review Group discussion

Advice - how we do things here > FAQ discussions

Comments (showing 1-40 of 40) (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Steve wrote: "I read that it is the author's responsibilty to get the file to reviewers. But when I go to their links there are no email addresses. How do we find their email addresses?"

Hey, Steve. Thanks for the question.

All you have to do is go to the author's profile and send them a message. Just let them know you're ready to send your file to them for review for this group (they should be aware of that already, since they signed up for it) and ask them what email address they prefer you send your file to. Also, be sure you know what format they prefer (mobi, pdf, doc, &c).

If they don't reply to you in a couple of days, please send one of the moderators a message and we'll find somebody else to review your work.

Thanks Again!

Jay Howard (jay_howard) There's probably an easier way, but I save from Word as an htm file. I use Sigil (which is free) to open the htm file, sort chapter breaks and a TOC and other netadata, save it from Sigil as an epub file. Last stage is to open the epub file in Calibre (also free) and convert to mobi.

It sounds convoluted, but it's faster than it sounds and guarantees a mobi file that behaves as you want.

One other bit of advice I would give is to read Mark Coker's formatting advice - also free! - which you can pick up from Smashwords.
http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/52

Larry Garner (LarryAnimalGarner) | 24 comments I've used Jay's method, and it works very well. After I got over my intitial confusion about using programs new to me, it was a snap! Thanks again, Jay!

Jay Howard (jay_howard) If you want to email me I'll reply with a couple of attachments - my step by step reminders, Sigil at its most basic.
jayhoward42@btinternet.com

Graeme Smith (Graeme_Smith) | 2 comments If the words of an Idiot are of any merit - Calibre. Calibre, Calibre, Calibre :-).
It's free, it's legal (for non-DRM protected files). Give it a PDF as an input (word 2010 will save as a PDF), and it will convert to just about any e-book format under the electronic sun.
Did I mention it's free? :-)

http://calibre-ebook.com/

The Idiot
or
Jack's Shadow

K.A. Krisko (KAKrisko) | 1177 comments Mod
Thanks for reminding me - I have Calibre, and I'm reading a .pdf on my Nook right now, which is kind of a pain - I think I'll try converting it & see if I can't come up with a better format.

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Yes, I'd use Calibre for pdf to mobi, but the result is far from perfect. If you want to be positive the mobi file is behaving perfectly you need to do the Word to Sigil to Calibre route.

Tanjlisa Marie (TanjlisaMarie) | 30 comments Hello. I have a trailer for my book release. Could you post it in the video section of this group? (Don't know if that's within the rules?) http://youtu.be/ewF0roVNtlE

Mike Duron (mike_duron) Tanjlisa wrote: "Hello. I have a trailer for my book release. Could you post it in the video section of this group? (Don't know if that's within the rules?) http://youtu.be/ewF0roVNtlE"

Done! :)

D. J. Ridgway (Dede1) | 2 comments Hey Graeme, thanks for the info on Calibre!

Dede x

Peter R Stone (Forager, Dystopian Trilogy) (sevensidedcube) I cannot register as it says the page does not exist?
Regards
seven

Marie-Anne Mancio (hotelalphabet) | 152 comments Mod
Sevensidedcube wrote: "I cannot register as it says the page does not exist?
Regards
seven"

Hi there: you should be able to access it here:
http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I had problems too - so I've created a new one :)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Please post any general questions you have in this thread. The moderators will answer them and update this FAQ post so future members can find the answers easily.

In order to encourage new members to post their questions here, going forward, any questions posted in the Registration thread may or may not be answered.

Thank you for participating!

This has been edited on 07 Dec. 12 to reflect the changes in the rules as of Group 5

*** FAQ *** FAQ *** FAQ *** FAQ ***

* What is the purpose of this group?

(view spoiler)

* How do I participate? What's the process?

(view spoiler)

* Do I have to buy the book I'm reviewing?

(view spoiler)

* How does the author know to send me the book, and how do I get my book to my reviewer?

(view spoiler)

* Where do I post the review?

(view spoiler)

* How exactly do I write a review on Goodreads? Amazon?

(view spoiler)

* What do I do about the next round when I have completed a review?

(view spoiler)

* Can I join more than one group?

(view spoiler)

* What do I do if I can't finish reading in time to write my review?

(view spoiler)

* What do I do if I don't like the genre or find the book too offensive to
finish/review?

(view spoiler)]

* What if I've already reviewed a book I'm assigned?

(view spoiler)

* What if my assigned reviewer has previously reviewed my work?

(view spoiler)

* Can I participate with an unfinished novel or MSS?

(view spoiler)

* Can I just request a review from the group without participating in the
review rounds?

(view spoiler)

* How long do I have to post my review?

(view spoiler)

* Do I have to finish reading a book I'm assigned in order to review it?

(view spoiler)

* Do I have to register as a reviewer to be a member?

(view spoiler)

* I'm not an author. Can I do some reviewing?

(view spoiler)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I'm going to rename this thread to FAQ discussions and repost the FAQ to a separate thread to keep it to the top since it's the stuff every new member should be reading (and some of the longer standing ones lol!).

Please discuss/query/whatever here and either another member will have an answer or one of the mods will.

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Life would be much too complicated if we tried that, Jaq. We work full time, we are writers too, and have our other interests (and occasionally families) to try and make time for. Allocating by genre would be way too time consuming. It's purely first come first served allocations here.

It actually works very well. Many members have been very pleasantly surprised when forced out of their comfort zone. You just need to look through the group threads to see the comments along those lines. All we ask is that the reviews are honest and based on the quality of the writing, not downgraded purely because it's not your personal preference.

Alison Newell | 48 comments Jaq wrote: "Hiya, I'm still lurking here until I get my Kindle but trying to work out the details of how the system works.

The faq mentions genre but I wanted to ask further, are reviewers assigned according ..."

If Jaq would like to review my book, just to get her eye in, I'd be thrilled. It falls into the literary fiction genre. http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/16...

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Alison wrote: "Jaq wrote: "Hiya, I'm still lurking here until I get my Kindle but trying to work out the details of how the system works.

The faq mentions genre but I wanted to ask further, are reviewers assigne..."

I know you are all keen to have your work reviewed, but we do not use this forum for arranging reviews outside of the set groups, Alison - it would all get very messy and impossible to track which members have reviewed each other.

Patricia Reding | 8 comments Question: I see that there are a number of books on the bookshelf. Are these the works of the members and we may/should add our own works? Or, do you add the books there?

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Patricia wrote: "Question: I see that there are a number of books on the bookshelf. Are these the works of the members and we may/should add our own works? Or, do you add the books there?"

Feel free to add your own, Patricia. The bookshelf is open to all, as a library would be. The book list:
is only open to books that have been or currently are being reviewed by group members.

Patricia Reding | 8 comments Jay wrote: "Patricia wrote: "Question: I see that there are a number of books on the bookshelf. Are these the works of the members and we may/should add our own works? Or, do you add the books there?"

Feel..."

Thank you so much, Jay!

Erica | 40 comments Just to make sure I'm understanding the group correctly - if I register I will be asked to review four books selected at random, and my own book will be submitted to other people to review, again at random? I mainly ask because I am happy to read anything thrown at me, but like most people I have preferred genres, and any review I post on a book which isn't in my preferred genre might suffer because it's not something I would have picked up myself, no matter how much I endeavour to be objective.

Similarly, my own book is a cross between Fantasy and Romance, which certainly isn't everyone's cup of tea...

I understand that the above may be the entire point of this group, but I just want to make sure that I am fully up to speed on that before I throw myself to the lions. =)

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Don't worry, Erica, I think that like a lot of members you'll be very pleasantly surprised at how we react to books outside of our normal selection criteria. Look through the threads and you'll see lots of comments along those lines. I too have been surprised at how much I've enjoyed books I'd never have read outside of this group.

Erica | 40 comments Hey, I have another question! The rules say to post all 3,4 or 5 star reviews on Amazon, but the ratings used on Goodreads are not entirely the same as they are on Amazon - 3 stars on Goodreads means you liked it, even if you weren't blown away by it, whereas on Amazon it's more of a 'meh, I don't care either way'.

Maybe I'm making more of an issue of this than I need to, but I think a 3-star review on Goodreads is better than a 3-star review on Amazon...

Jay Howard (jay_howard) We don't interfere with what a reviewer does as regards content and ratings. Provided it's your honest opinion that's fine. The same applies to ratings. If you think it should be rated differently on GR and Amazon then that's what you should do. I use the same in both places so if anyone is interested in my reviews they will meet my own consistent rating system, but's that's my way. I use the content to make it plain if I thought it was 'like it' or 'take it or leave it' quality. Your way, whatever it is, is equally valid.

message 26: by J. (new)

J. (JGuenther) | 3 comments I'm confoozed. I've entered a few threads here on GR, and then noticed something like this among the posts:

"This group is for Self Published and Indie books." The moderators seem to take it for granted that everybody knows their focus is SP/Indie, even though the group name gives no clue.

Does that apply to the Review Group?

message 27: by K.A. (last edited Apr 28, 2013 07:13PM) (new)

Well, the description under the group name says:

"Reviews are very important for Self-Published (SP), and Indie authors, just as they are for others. Unfortunately, though, many SP/Indie books don't get the review attention they deserve..."

Two of my books are published by a small publishing house, and two are self-pubbed, and I haven't been kicked out of the group yet...

message 28: by J. (new)

J. (JGuenther) | 3 comments K.A. wrote: "Well, the description under the group name says:

"Reviews are very important for Self-Published (SP), and Indie authors, just as they are for others. Unfortunately, though, many SP/Indie books don..."

So it does, KA. I just didn't expand the description beyond "Reviews are very important..." If I had, I probably wouldn't have registered. But since I did, I'm going to just follow your example and press on. Thanks for the input, KA.

I think 'Indie' is here used to mean 'small publishing house' as well as 'your own imprint', so it shouldn't be a problem...unless you're with a Big 6, in which case you probably don't need us!

Jay Howard (jay_howard) I'll hold the sword of Damocles over your heads, ready to use it if you don't behave. Mwahaaha!
I'd better be careful, though, as according to my EIN I'm a publisher with one client - ME! So that could be 2 mods kicked out lol!

I've always taken indie to be independent as in a small publisher, not tied to the big boys. Otherwise why would we need both terms, SP AND indie?

Mark Bell (dingbell) | 84 comments Would that be mods versus rockers? Are you a Teddy Boy at heart? If so, I want to borrow your jacket.

Jay Howard (jay_howard) More like a rocker - my last proper bike was an Aermacchi engine in a Harley frame. That 350cc single took some kicking if she wasn't in the mood to start. Happy days! I don't count the 125cc Kymco I got as a runaround a few years back. And I couldn't afford the leather jacket but I really really wanted one...

Mark Bell (dingbell) | 84 comments I understand. My favorite was a BSA 650 that I traded for a Harley Chopper. Had to be like Easy Rider. Now I see people riding a Harley wearing chino pants and I have to laugh.

message 34: by Jo (new)

Jo Grix | 6 comments Just out of curiosity, I have a novel and a novella that I'm considering submitting here, does it have to be a full length novel or could a novella of some 25,000 words be acceptable?

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Jo wrote: "Just out of curiosity, I have a novel and a novella that I'm considering submitting here, does it have to be a full length novel or could a novella of some 25,000 words be acceptable?"

Hi Jo - if you've written and published it - whatever that 'it' is - it's valid for putting forward for review :)

message 36: by Jo (new)

Jo Grix | 6 comments Awesome, thanks, just wanted to know.

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Hi Sabena
Group 13 thread is still there where it always was:

If you're missing a review you'll have to try and find someone else to do it. Try posting in the registered readers' section.

Jay Howard (jay_howard) Sabena wrote: "Jay wrote: "Hi Sabena
Group 13 thread is still there where it always was:

If you're missing a review you'll have to try and find someone else t..."

That does happen sometimes, Sabena. We lost the entire registration thread for ages a while back and I had to start a new one!

Jcorn | 1 comments I apologize if this question has been asked before. I am slowly working my way through all the posts but as a reviewer on Amazon is there a way to link to my page on Goodreads and vice versa?Does that break any GoodReads or Amazon user agreements? I would like to link to my review pages but I also want to follow all the guidelines for both sites. Since Amazon has purchased Goodreads I thought this might be an option. .

As far as I know there's no direct way, but you can certainly list websites, including your author page on Amazon, on your author page here. You can also feed your blog directly to your author page here, so if you blog about reviews you get, and include links to them, those would show up on the home feed of your friends here on Goodreads. If you're talking about actually including a link to your pages within the review itself, I think that's generally frowned upon.

unread topics | mark unread