FSC Book Club discussion

The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making
This topic is about The Homemade Pantry
The Homemade Pantry > Welcome! (Introductions & Discussion Schedule)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 76) (76 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (last edited Sep 13, 2012 06:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Christine | 109 comments Mod
Welcome to our second selection of the FSC Book Club! We are thrilled to be reading and cooking our way through Alana Chernila's The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making .

Every other Monday, we'll post Book Club "challenges" for the assigned chapters. You pick a recipe from the selection- anything you'd like- and then make it in your home and attempt the "challenge". Maybe the challenge will be to take a photo of the finished product or to invite a friend over to join you in eating it! Some weeks, we'll just pose questions for you to think about as we cook our way through the book. Then you can stop in the Book Club at anytime to chat, share photos, ideas and inspiration. You can even go back to past discussions and catch up! No stress! No pressure!

Here is our reading/cook-a-long schedule for The Homemade Pantry. Remember, this is a NO PRESSURE book club! This schedule is just a guide of which chapters we’ll be posting about and what recipes we'll be tackling, but feel free to chirp up whenever you are ready. If you fall behind, no worries! Catch up when you can and then join in any conversation we’ve posted.

{MEETING 1} Monday, September 24
Dairy
Cereals & Snacks

{MEETING 2} Monday, October 8
Canned Fruits, Vegetables & Beans
Condiments, Spices & Spreads

{MEETING 3} Monday, October 22
Soups
Baking Needs & Mixes

{MEETING 4} Monday, November 5
Frozen Foods
Pasta & Sauce

{MEETING 5} Monday, November 19
Breads & Crackers
Drinks

{MEETING 6} Monday, December 3
Candy & Treats

We are glad you're here! Your first mini-assignment: Say hello & introduce yourself to the group! Your name, where you're from, what your favorite thing to cook is, etc. Bonus: Follow @FSCBookClub on Twitter and "Like" From Scratch Club on Facebook too!

message 2: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

To start us off, I'm Christine and I'll be your FSC Book Club moderator :) I am beyond excited to cook our way through Alana's book The Homemade Pantry , especially as the weather gets a bit crisper and the oven doesn't seem like such a terrible thing to use.

I live in downtown Albany, NY and recently moved from an apartment with a super duper tiny kitchen to one with a normal-size kitchen. Woot!

Don't forget to follow us on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, etc. and keep in touch throughout Round 2 of the FSC Book Club.

message 3: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 68 comments I am Cynthia. I live in Maine and I'm excited to join this group. Will we be discussing here rather than on the FB page?

I live with my husband Paul in a very small house off the grid without running water (we do have solar electricity). I cook on an ancient three-burner gas stove in the summer, and a woodstove in the winter. I LOVE cooking on the woodstove. But when I want to bake something finicky, I do it at a friend's house.

I'm not a homesteader - I work a regular full time job and am also an activist and a musician. I try to maintain control of a large garden - the weeds often win. But this summer I grew culinary herbs and sold them at the local farmers market. That's been a great adventure. I made new friends and enough money to cover all my garden costs for the year. Also got to think about food, cooking, and food economics a LOT.

Looking forward to reading with the group.

message 4: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 68 comments Oh - what my favorite thing to cook is. That would be a new recipe - with vegetables in it.

message 5: by Wendy (new)

Wendy | 3 comments Hi. I'm Wendy and I live in West Sand Lake in Rensselaer County. My husband, Peter, and I both cook...a lot. We make a conscious effort to "eat real food", which for us means homemade, local, and unprocessed. We have a copy of The Homemade Pantry that's already very well used. Our latest ventures have been in homemade pasta and homemade cheese.

Thanks for letting us join in the fun.

message 6: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (last edited Sep 14, 2012 06:08AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cynthia wrote: "I am Cynthia. I live in Maine and I'm excited to join this group. Will we be discussing here rather than on the FB page?

I live with my husband Paul in a very small house off the grid without run..."

Maine! Off the grid! Woodstove! Spare-time homesteader! It's so great to have you here, Cynthia.

ps- Yes, our discussion will take place primarily here.

message 7: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Wendy wrote: "Hi. I'm Wendy and I live in West Sand Lake in Rensselaer County. My husband, Peter, and I both cook...a lot. We make a conscious effort to "eat real food", which for us means homemade, local, and u..."

Homemade pasta and cheese! You will be a pro at this cook-a-long. Glad you could join us.

message 8: by Dianna (new)

Dianna | 3 comments I'm Dianna. I write for From Scratch Club, am an ex-homesteader, kind of, a long time gardener, an aging baby boomer. Have three grown sons, a granddaughter, a husband of 30 years and am definitely scaling back on cooking, growing, cheesemaking etc compared to when my family was all at home. Now I am mostly a minimalist but still interested in real food. I work full time and am really, really looking forward to retirement. My husband grows wheat obsessively in other people's front yards.

message 9: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megriffi) | 59 comments Hi folks! I'm Meg and I live in Worcester, MA with my partner. We love to cook vegetarian food and I am just starting to flex my "from scratch muscles." A few weeks ago I made samosas from scratch that were a big hit. I've tried my hand at homemade pasta, bread, pizza dough, etc., but not regularly. I am hoping to learn a lot from all of you along the way!

message 10: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dianna wrote: "I'm Dianna. I write for From Scratch Club, am an ex-homesteader, kind of, a long time gardener, an aging baby boomer. Have three grown sons, a granddaughter, a husband of 30 years and am definite..."

Welcome, Dianna! I love that your husband "grows wheat obsessively in other people's front yards"... everyone else, check out Dianna's posts on www.fromscratchclub.com for posts about this... they are fabulous.

message 11: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg wrote: "Hi folks! I'm Meg and I live in Worcester, MA with my partner. We love to cook vegetarian food and I am just starting to flex my "from scratch muscles." A few weeks ago I made samosas from scratch ..."

Hey Meg!I think you need to share your recipe for vegetarian from-scratch samosas... :)

message 12: by Meg (new) - rated it 5 stars

Meg (megriffi) | 59 comments Oh sure! I just borrowed it from the Moosewood Cookbook. I served it with the dipping sauce that is recommended in the book. Here is a link to the recipe (sans dipping sauce):

http://www.food.com/recipe/baked-samo...

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments Hi I'm Casey, I currently live in downtown Philadelphia with my boyfriend but I am from outside of Detroit. I am a lifelong vegetarian and "from scratch cook". This year I decided to test myself by participating in a csa and joining a community garden. It has been a very tastey ride and I've learn a lot from both. My favorite thing to cook is anything new as I like to expand my hoizons and recipe collection.

message 14: by Corrina (last edited Sep 14, 2012 01:47PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Corrina (corrinajane) | 15 comments I'm Corrina. I just moved from Saratoga Springs, NY to a small town in Illinois (the Midwest is my home of homes). My movers are coming on Monday, and the thing I am most excited to make (when reunited with my kitchen gear) is an apple friggin' pie. Cannot. Wait.

message 15: by Beth (new)

Beth (BiblioholicBeth) Hi, all! I'm Beth, from the Portland, Oregon area. I am currently a stay-at-home mom of two kids, and I love to cook and can and bake - rarely with the same recipe twice. The feeling when someone appreciates the deliciousness is the best! I already have this cookbook, and I absolutely *love* it :)

message 16: by Erika (new)

Erika Tebbens | 1 comments I'm Erika from Ballston Spa NY and also a contributor to FSC. I currently have probably 10 of the "pop tarts" from this book in my freezer. I love this book!

I work for an organic farm and I'm also starting my own. My husband and I both love to cook, and I love to bake.

message 17: by Kris (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kris Nusskern | 1 comments I'm Kris. I live in Queensbury and work for the same farm as Erika. It's doubtful I'll ever own my own farm, but the experience of working with one is something I'm truly grateful for.
I've been trying to cook as much from scratch as possible for the past few years, but I still feel like a from-scrath newbie.
My favorite thing to cook? Anything that makes someone else smile.

Becky K | 1 comments Hi, I am Becky and one of the FSC contributors. I live in Colonie NY with my 2 kids and husband. I am homeschooling my kids and love to BAKE (with them and by myself). My family was Gluten Free for a while so I have some experience in that realm, but we are back to loving wheat again...so I am pulling out old and new recipes and hoping to cook a lot this Fall.

message 19: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 2 comments I'm Amy, and I'm new to FSC. I've participated in the last two swaps and I really enjoyed it! I'm looking forward to cooking along with you!

message 20: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Casey wrote: "Hi I'm Casey, I currently live in downtown Philadelphia with my boyfriend but I am from outside of Detroit. I am a lifelong vegetarian and "from scratch cook". This year I decided to test myself by..."

Welcome, Casey! Aren't CSAs a great way to force yourself into the kitchen to discover new recipes? I'm drowning in veggies from mine right now :)

message 21: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Corrina wrote: "I'm Corrina. I just moved from Saratoga Springs, NY to a small town in Illinois (the Midwest is my home of homes). My movers are coming on Monday, and the thing I am most excited to make (when reu..."

Corrina, darling! Glad you are joining us. Keep the FSC love sprouting in the midwest!

message 22: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Beth wrote: "Hi, all! I'm Beth, from the Portland, Oregon area. I am currently a stay-at-home mom of two kids, and I love to cook and can and bake - rarely with the same recipe twice. The feeling when someone a..."

Ahh, Portland is one of my most favorite places. It sounds like you are in good shape for another read-through of The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making!

message 23: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome to the Book Club, Erika, Kris, Becky and Amy! We're psyched to have you here :)

Casey (kcrose210) | 74 comments Christine wrote: "Casey wrote: "Hi I'm Casey, I currently live in downtown Philadelphia with my boyfriend but I am from outside of Detroit. I am a lifelong vegetarian and "from scratch cook". This year I decided to ..."

They definitely are. We are members of one that allows you to pick what you get in advance everyweek which is nice because I can stick to some favorites and add try a new thing or 2 each week as well.

message 25: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 2 comments Hi!
I live just east of the Monterey Peninsula in California. We moved here 2 years ago to start an organic family farm in this heavily conventionally farmed area. Harvesting and shoveling last year kicked up an old back injury (my almost 50 year old body doesn't quite have the rebound it used to) so we are thinking about transitioning from growing row crops to trees.

Favorite thing to make? Right now I am making gallons of roasted tomatoes to freeze for winter use.

~Sydney
http://sevencatsfarm.blogspot.com/

message 26: by Grazia (new)

Grazia | 1 comments Hi!
I live in Albany,NY and have a community garden plot at Ridgefield Park.

I am super excited to cook through this book. My favorite to do is bake.

Grazia
http://smainavenue.blogspot.com

Jennifer Wilkerson | 9 comments Hello all. I'm Jennifer. I live with my family of four in Niskayuna, NY. We are long time locavores--choosing to buy almost all of our food from local farmers. We cook daily. This summer we added a vegetable garden in the front yard. And recently we've added yogurt to our weekly repertoire. I enjoyed the Everlasting Meal and I love The Homemade Pantry. My kids tease me because it is always out on the counter...

message 28: by KitchenNinja (new)

KitchenNinja | 37 comments I'm Julianne (but I write and post as Kitchen Ninja) and live in Vermont. I'm a food blogger, so I spend most of my days researching recipes, cooking, eating and writing.

This book has been on my to-read list for a while now, so I was wicked excited to see it appear as our next book club selection.

I'm looking forward to getting to know everyone better through comments and seeing what you cook up!

http://yankee-kitchen-ninja.blogspot.com

message 29: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome, Sydney, Grazia, Jennifer and Julianne! Love that we have family farmers, community gardeners, front yard gardeners and food bloggers joining us.

message 30: by Amy (new) - added it

Amy | 2 comments My book arrived in the mail today: hooray!!!

message 31: by Celia (new)

Celia (cdotoz) | 21 comments I'm Celia. I live in northern Virginia with my husband, kids, and cats. I stay at home with the kids right now and homeschool them both. Occasionally I blog over at http://www.oncardamomandcastiron.com

My favorite food to make/cook used to be bread, but I can't use gluten now so I'm going to go ahead and say that my favorite thing to make depends on the season. This time of year I'm starting to get into "squirrel" mode and am preserving food like it's my job. Fruit preserves are right up there, though I don't regularly eat them. (I give jars as gifts and made some for a local farm this summer.)

Sydney-- I'm going to be checking out your farm. My family will be moving your direction next year sometime, and I'd be excited to find a reliable organic farm near us.

Markie | 9 comments Hi my name is Markie (aka Mary Kate). I live in Troy, NY. I just got the Kindle edition of the book today. I'm looking forward to this, especially the challenges!!! They will definitely challenge me since I haven't really cooked or baked in about 7 years!!! I eat out a lot and my freezer is well stocked with Weight Watchers and Lean Cuisine meals!!! Can't wait to begin this adventure!!!

message 33: by Kizzi (new)

Kizzi | 6 comments Hi, I'm Kizzi! I live in Troy, NY with my hubby and my 4 year old son. I bought Alana's book at an FSC swap and have made several of the recipes. My favorite thing to cook...well of course I don't have just one, but I love to make soups, especially this time of year. I've already put up a batch of white bean and tomato soup in the freezer using garden tomatoes and herbs from my neighbor's garden. I also love to make salsa, chips and salsa is my number one snack food! I also bake a lot of bread, muffins, and rolls. Very excited to cook through the book!

message 34: by Sydney (new)

Sydney | 2 comments Celia! Welcome (a bit early!) to the beautiful Central Coast. I love it here. I hope you will too. When do you anticipate making your move?

message 35: by Cynthia (new) - added it

Cynthia | 68 comments Book arrived today! And I couldn't resist - I ordered "Food In Jars" too, so now I'm really ready to start reading.

Susan M | 42 comments Hi, I am Susan M and live in Massachusetts with my husband, divorced daughter and granddaugther. I am a stay at home Nonna and love to spend my spare time baking and cooking for my family. I purchased the ebook for my Nook and look forward playing in the kitchen with "youse guys". :-)

message 37: by Christina (new) - added it

Christina | 1 comments Hello. My name is Christina and I live in Schuylerville, NY with my boyfriend, cat and lab/monster mix. I am a terrible cook, and am afraid of many vegetables, but my intentions are good.

message 38: by Becky (new)

Becky Hockaday | 1 comments Hi! I'm Becky H and live in Galway, NY with my husband, 4 year old and one year old. We are recent transplants from Austin TX and so far loving it here. I work at the Saratoga Springs Farmers Market with Kilpatrick Family Farm and just attended my first food swap yesterday :) We recently purchased and moved into a small (what was) horse farm with the intent of converting it next spring with pigs,sheep, turkeys and chickens, and a nice big garden.
My 4 yr old son has lots of food allergies and asthma and I have some medical issues as well. I will be the one figuring out how to substitute ingredients! Right now our house is gluten, nut, soy, sesame seed, peanut and legume, and processed sugar free. I am dairy free but have my kids on raw milk/cheese.
I LOVE to cook and always up for a discussion about it!

message 39: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Welcome to the club Celia, Markie, Kizzi, Susan, Christina and Becky! We are so happy to have all of you here. First challenge/assignment will be posted on Monday 9/24 :)

message 40: by Tina (new)

Tina Jordan | 9 comments Hi, I'm Tina Jordan and I live in Santa Barbara California. Cooking through Cookbooks is actually one of my hobbies. This past year I've been cooking through Milk and Cookies, and The Meatball Shop Cookbooks. I just realized these are both NY location cookbooks. I get enamored of the NY places we eat when I visit my east coast family I guess. Anyway, I already owned the Homemade Pantry and figured it might be fun to do this with other folks.

I can't say I'm living off the grid, or home farming in my little Condo but I do belong not only to a CSA but a CSF. A Community supported Fishery is one of the great luxuries of living in a seaside community. I've been canning for over a year, baking all our bread and like to experiment making things from scratch just to see what it is like.

My biggest problem is my Italian sense of scale. I try to feed the whole world even though it is just my husband and I. I have to still perfect not wasting food but it does mean I always have things on hand to give to others.

message 41: by Celia (new)

Celia (cdotoz) | 21 comments Sydney- Not 'til next spring, but I'm counting the months. I miss the ocean!

message 42: by Gina (new)

Gina Martin (OtherGinaMartin) | 12 comments Hi, I'm Gina in Coxsackie NY (Famous for our prisons and our virus!!), I blog about project-based and 21st century learning and fun - both in homeschooling and school-schooling (neologisms for the win!) at my blog ModSchooler, and I also write about family travel and enrichment on Albany Kid, and am a new contributor to From Scratch Club blog.

I have tons of IgE-mediated allergies that I've been working around for the past 6 years or so, and avoid using wheat, corn, soy, most tree nuts and peanuts. Luckily, we're omnivores! Hubby and the kids are harsh critics, so I have to be on my best game. Luckily, I love to cook and especially to try out new stuff. My latest new thing has been to explore fermentation, had a great pickle success and am working on a sriracha sauce one that'll be ready in a couple of months. I'm thinking kimchi for the book club section...

Anyway, glad to be here, I live a big huge part of my life online, so it's super cool to be able to mix my meatspace and internet space in such a fun project! I have the book on my Nook, so I'm already reading up and seeing what is to come.

message 43: by Gina (new)

Gina Martin (OtherGinaMartin) | 12 comments My intro got eated! I'm Gina in Coxsackie NY, a Hudson River town just south of Albany NY famous for its prisons and our very own virus! Luckily, it's not a really dangerous one like Marburg got.

Anyway, I live a big portion of my life online, so having this book club that integrates my meatspace and internet life is right up my alley. I am a stay at home mom who homeschools my youngest, and my oldest just started high school at Tech Valley HS. My blog ModSchooler is about 21st century and project-based learning, in homeschools and school-schools. I also write about family travel and enrichment classes and activities on Albany Kid Family Travel, and am a new contributor on the FSC blog.

I have tons of IgE mediated allergies I've been working around for about 6 years, and love to cook. My kids, and especially my husband, are very picky and judgemental about anything new or different, so I have to be on my game if new foods will pass muster. On my good days, I love a challenge, on my bad days I just yell a lot and go hang out with my dogs, who love everything about me all the time ;-)

I'm looking forward to the challenges, especially the dairy and the fermentation.

message 44: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gina wrote: "My intro got eated! I'm Gina in Coxsackie NY, a Hudson River town just south of Albany NY famous for its prisons and our very own virus! Luckily, it's not a really dangerous one like Marburg got...."

Ahhh, "famous for our prisons and virus!"... hysterical. Welcome, Gina :)

Marilyn  (goodreadscommarilyn_zembo_day) | 25 comments Hi! I'm Marilyn and I just found out about this group while at the Honest Weight Food Co-Op's Harvest Fest in Albany, NY this afternoon, in Washington Park, a place where I spent lots my childhood hours since my family only lived a few blocks away. We now reside in a suburb of Albany, between Albany and Schenectady.

As soon as I heard about this book club, I knew I had to join. In fact, I already own The Homemade Pantry (as well as the last book you read, the very excellent An Everlasting Meal), so I'm all set to go with this challenge. As for my favorite food to cook (at least lately)- I love making soups! Fall is my fav season and it's a great time for them. Within the last couple weeks, I've made root vegetable (emphasis on beets, but also includes carrot, sweet potato & yellow potato), Tuscan bean, cream of broccoli and cream of cauliflower soups. Some got frozen for later. Some taken to our daughter ("care package"). Some shared with cousins up from Florida. Most, however, hubby and I devoured on our own, with croutons I made from leftover bakery bread. I don't cook every day because I try to make enough to ensure leftovers - soups are great for that!

I have at least 5 friends who cannot do gluten, 1 of whom also cannot tolerate corn or cashews. I enjoy the challenge of trying to bake good-tasting things that they can enjoy when we get together to write or create visual art. Our gatherings are never without food. So far, I've had good results with g-free baking.

I cook and bake in a kitchen renovated by my husband after he retired in 2009. It's not huge space but it's our fav room in the house. For the last few years, on the deck outside the kitchen door, I've grown a few herbs, as well as tomatoes (this year, heirloom grape tomatoes bought at Schenectady GreenMarket).

I write a food blog at http://www.kitchencauldron.wordpress.com, from which I took a vacation this summer but will begin posting again this week. I can't call myself a gourmet since there are plenty of things no one could convince me to eat (mostly in the fish dept! and Asian cuisines do not agree with my palate at all) but I love to cook, especially when it brings a smile to another person's face.

message 46: by Christine, FSC BOOK CLUB MODERATOR (new) - rated it 5 stars

Marilyn wrote: "Hi! I'm Marilyn and I just found out about this group while at the Honest Weight Food Co-Op's Harvest Fest in Albany, NY this afternoon, in Washington Park, a place where I spent lots my childhood ..."

Marilyn, I'm so glad you joined! It was great meeting you today at the Local Harvest Fest. Thanks also for sharing your blog, I can't wait to dive into it. Welcome :)

message 47: by Amy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Amy | 1 comments Hi, my name is Amy. I live in beautiful Coeur d'Alene, Idaho with my husband and two girls, 9 & 11. Like many others in North Idaho, we're transplants. I grew up in CA, but spent 6 years in the Seattle area before moving here with my family. I bought The Homemade Pantry a few months ago, but have only tried a few recipes. I've been on a mission to remove as many processed foods as possible from our diet. It's not always easy, but we're trying! Looking forward to getting started with the book club!

message 48: by Kate (new) - added it

Kate Hayner | 19 comments Hi, I'm Kate, I live in Schodack, have a good size garden and try and make as much homemade as possible. My favoite things to make in fall and winter are soups and stews (anything I can leave simmering on the woodstove in the winter)and anything with homegrown vegies in the summer.

message 49: by Anne (new)

Anne Maxfield (alocavore) | 1 comments Hi all, I'm Anne. I write a blog the Accidental Locavore (http://www.accidental-locavore.com) about cooking and eating local and fresh. We split our time between NYC and Pleasant Valley NY. Like Amy I've been trying to get a lot of processed foods out of our diet and have been making my own yogurt, granola, bacon, sausages etc. for a while now. Looking forward to trying new things (like cheese!) with the group!

message 50: by Sara (new)

Sara | 1 comments Hello everyone! I'm Sara and I live in Waterbury, VT. I saw this book and knew I had to participate b/c I'm trying to make more of our food by scratch. I'm sick of processed foods with who knows what ingredients in them!

I am ordering the book today so I'll be back as soon as I have it and am ready to participate. Thanks!

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Homemade Pantry: 101 Foods You Can Stop Buying and Start Making (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Alana Chernila (other topics)