Terminalcoffee discussion

Pop Culture / Celebrities > Who gets a pass?

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »

Sarah | 13811 comments A friend and I were talking about how we were looking forward to the new Joss Whedon show Dollhouse that is starting next week. He said he was looking forward to it DESPITE the premise. In other words, he is willing to give it a chance completely on the basis of his opinion of its creator. I agreed.

Who gets a pass like that from you? Whose work do you pre-order, or buy despite reviews, on the basis of your esteem for that person or group?

My list includes
Neil Gaiman (books, comics, films, etc.)
Brian K. Vaughan (comics)
Joss Whedon (movies/tv/comics)
Karen Joy Fowler (books - despite having HATED her last book - I'd still buy her next on the basis of the first five)
Jonathan Carroll (books -despite ambivalence toward his books of the entire last decade)
Springsteen (and I am not liking the new album)
Patty Griffin (music)

I'm sure there are others, but those are the first things that come to mind.

Dan Schwent  (akaGunslinger) I don't buy as much music as I used to so my list is entirely authors.

current:
Neil Gaiman (just the novels)
Christopher Moore
Joe Lansdale

old (and possibly deceased) but still snapping up whatever I can find:
Roger Zelazny
Philip Jose Farmer
Richard Matheson
P.G. Wodehouse

Matt | 819 comments Authors: William Gibson, J.G. Ballard

Films: the Coens, David Lynch

I'm with Dan about the music, as I can't think of one artist that I love who hasn't put out at least one "WTF?!" album.

message 4: by Heidi (last edited Feb 05, 2009 11:46AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10818 comments Authors: Kevin Brockmeier, Marion Zimmer Bradley, Robin McKinley

Music: Natalie Merchant, Ella Fitzgerald, Van Morrison

Movies: Kate Hepburn, Javier Bardem, Coen Bros, Peter Hedges, Terry Gilliam, Natalie Portman

A fairly similar thread was started a few weeks ago - not exactly the same, but definitely worth bringing into this thread for synthesis since I'm sure some of the discussion will tie over from one thread to the other...

*** addendum: Tom Waits should be added to the music/movie list. ***

Gus Sanchez (GusSanchez) I'm looking forward to Dollhouse, but something tells me I'll be disappointed.

Current:
Don DeLillo (his last 2 novels have been utter disappointments)
Chuck Palahniuk

Deceased/Disbanded:
Hunter S. Thompson (his last Gonzo Papers books were garbage, but he redeemed himself with his Gonzo Letters)
The Who (Endless Wire was crap, as were their last 2 full studio albums, but that 6 year period between The Who Sell Out and Quadrophenia rank as one of the most creative outputs any band, The Beatles included)

Sarah | 13811 comments Part of the fear for Dollhouse is that Fox will pull the same crap they pulled on Firefly and condemn it to a half season.

To clarify -- Some of the artists I LOVE put out utter dreck on occasion, but I have read/listened to that as well, and will buy the next one despite the craptastic interlude.
Example: I think almost everything on the new Springsteen sounds like a reject from the much better Magic, but that won't stop me from buying the next one.

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments This is a fanastic question.

Authors...Cormac McCarthy, Neil Gaiman, William Gibson, Haruki Murakami.

Music...Tom Waits, Drive-by Truckers, The Hold Steady, Stars of the Lid, Stars, probably a couple others...

Movies...have to think about this one.

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments Oh, and Dan, I LOVED Zelazny and Phillip Jose Farmer growing up...the Riverworld series was a big part in my becoming a reader.

message 9: by Dan (last edited Feb 04, 2009 12:34PM) (new)

Dan Schwent  (akaGunslinger) Randomanthony wrote: "Oh, and Dan, I LOVED Zelazny and Phillip Jose Farmer growing up...the Riverworld series was a big part in my becoming a reader."

In my mind, fantasy and sf peaked sometime in the late 70's, back when authors could tell a story in 350 pages or less instead of a series of dictionary-sized tomes.

Sarah | 13811 comments I just read the biography of Tiptree/Alice Sheldon, and I'm really looking forward to going back and rereading some of those stories. I love 70s scifi and fantasy, when they got past pulp and more overtly into character and societal issues. Not that there's anything wrong with pulp.

Kirk | 154 comments Sarah Pi:

I just discovered this website. It made me think of your comment about the new Springsteen:
http://www.bosscocked.com/

message 12: by Sally, la reina (new)

Sally (MrsNolte) | 17267 comments Mod
Oh, MAN what a great question.

I can't think of many, I just got home from school and my mind is all a fritz, but...

Music: Ani DiFranco, My Morning Jacket, Sons and Daughters

Books: Augusten Burroughs, Haruki Murakami, Donna Haraway, Paul Miller

Movies: Kate Winslet, Clive Owen, George Clooney, Tom Hanks (usually), Cohen Bros. for sure, Audrey Tatou.

I'm planning to add more as I think of them.

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments nobody gets a pass with me. i am more and more judging the merit of someone's current work in relation to my current likes or follies. like i love white stripes but can't take jack white's other group (the raconteurs or something like that). i used to read everything from james patterson but now i think he is way over saturated and writes too many books for any of them to be good. i like chi tea i hate chi tea. although except for the Hard Rain, Morgan Freeman always seems to satisfy

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments Music: Kathleen Edwards (she's Canadian, eh?)

Actors: Tommy Lee Jones, Cate Blanchett, Kate Winslet, George Clooney

Movies: Coens, Clint Eastwood

message 15: by Cosmic Sher (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:18AM) (new)

Cosmic Sher (sherart) | 2234 comments I can't think of too many, although I have to agree with the afformentioned Neil Gaiman and Tom Waits (I have secret crushes on them both).

To the list I'd add:

Kevin Smith (producer - Dogma, Jay & Silent Bob)
Will Smith (actor)
George Carlin (comedy GOD)
Audrey Hepburn (actress)
Matthew McConaughey (actor & stud muffin)
Morgan Freeman (acting GOD... joke, hee hee)
Drew Barrymoore (actress)
Terry Brooks (author)
Kim Harrison (author)

RandomAnthony | 14536 comments I was thinking Kevin Smith, too, Sherrie...

message 17: by Heidi (last edited Feb 05, 2009 07:02AM) (new)

Heidi (heidihooo) | 10818 comments UGH! I can't believe I left Tom Waits off my list, RA! Okay, going back to edit right now.

message 18: by Sally, la reina (new)

Will Smith for sure, Kevin Kline for me. Also, I'm drawn like a moth to light to see Ashley Judd.

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments Oh Ashley Judd yes for sure. I remember when she was a regular on STNG.

message 20: by [deleted user] (new)

Isn't she after Palin for hunting wolves or something?

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments Well, she isn't after me. I know that for damn sure.

message 22: by [deleted user] (new)

Care to elaborate?

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments No. I think I've said it all.

message 24: by Sally, la reina (new)

The best was the SNL where Palin meets Bush. And Palin's husband was off in the wilderness with his trackin' buddies huntin' down McCain, hiding because he was trying to evade any connection with Bush whatsoever.

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments ok, i'll add one: ashley judd could be on Flava Of Love and i would still watch her

Sandy (FoggedIn) | 138 comments Hmmm
Music (most are oldies, of course)
Ella Fitzgerald, Supertramp, Steely Dan, Bette Midler, Sarah Brightman, Michael Crawford

Actors
Kevin Kline, Kevin Spacey, Alan Rickman, Judi Dench, Kate Blanchett, Imelda Staunton, Will Smith, Morgan Freeman, Tom Hanks

Authors
Val MacDermid, Ruth Rendell, Ian Rankin, John LeCarre, Graham Greene, Dennis Lehane, Terry Pratchet, Jasper Fforde,Neil Gaiman, Chuck P.,

That's all I can think of at the moment

message 27: by Sally, la reina (new)

Will Smith for sure. He doesn't accept crappy roles. He just doesn't. His name attached will make a movie. We've discussed this already, elsewhere, though.

*stuffs sock in mouth*

message 28: by Sally, la reina (new)

*stuffs sock in KD's mouth*

Sarah | 13811 comments Ooh. Good call.

Lori (Hellian) Has no one said Meryl Streep?

I've heard one of the reasons Mama Mia was so good is because she was so obviously having a blast while she made it.

Not that I'll go see it. Even for Meryl. Does that mean she doesn't get the pass from me? Because it that's the case, I'll feel obliged to watch it, and I really don't want to!

message 31: by Sally, la reina (new)

She did look like she was having a blast. Who wouldn't? Gawd, that setting was amazing.

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments yeah, I don't admit this much around the guys but I seem to be humming songs from Mama Mia quite often

message 33: by Lori (Hellian) (last edited Feb 06, 2009 05:09PM) (new)

Lori (Hellian) BUSTED!

Richard saw that on a plane, and he came home telling me how great it was. I got such pleasure making fun of him!

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments ABBA songs are very addictive. I get "Fernando" stuck in my head quite frequently. Like RIGHT NOW!!

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

I love Mamma Mia. I want to see the show in NY when I'm there, but Alfonso doesn't want to see an ABBA show. So I'm picking another one.

Lori (Hellian) Oh my, can you just imagine Alfonso at a Mammia Mia show??? He'd be so far slumped down in his seat with a hat covering his face!

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments uh, i am not exactly the show tune looking type (i don't think) but i somehow wind up half humming and half singing songs from The Phantom, Les Miserable, Mama Mia or The Sound Of Music. hard to look tough when you are chopping wood singing "don't cry for me argentina". seems i ride my motorcycle while wearing old jeans and workboots while singing like the little guy from Will & Grace

Lori (Hellian) I LOVE Les Miserable!

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments I thought the Phantom music was going to end up making me permanently crazy. Same way Music Man. Arrghh!

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments Starts with a T and ends in an E right here in River City?

message 41: by Sally, la reina (new)

Les Miserab makes me miserable.

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments Moi, aussi, Lady S.

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments i sometimes have to listen to White Zombie or NIN to cleanse my pallet after too many show tunes

message 44: by [deleted user] (new)

ew.

Kevin  (KSprink) | 11469 comments what? a little thunderkiss 65 after the celtic women keeps me balanced

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments palate

:::runs away:::

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments Hey, he could be talking about a pallet.

[image error]

IMAGEMAN STRIKES AGAIN!

message 48: by Sally, la reina (new)

Kevin might have a dirty pallet. He could have, you know, loaded a bunch of hay into his truck while listening to show tunes. We don't know the whole story.

*snicker*

Félix (habitseven) | 23973 comments We may never know the whole story.

Jackie "the Librarian" | 8993 comments I clean my palette after I paint something, but not with NIN...

[image error]

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread