*~Can't Stop Reading~* discussion

Series Discussion > Malazan Book of the Fallen

Comments (showing 1-8 of 8) (8 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonathan, A dream within a dream (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 386 comments Mod
Has anyone read any of these fantasy novels? Do you like them?

The series begins with Gardens of the Moon

Maxine | 7 comments It is my favourite fantasy series and I read a lot of fantasy. However, you should know some things before you start. First, Gardens of the Moon was originally meant to be an RPG but, when Erikson pitched it, it was suggested he turn it into a book. It doesn't quite fit with the rest of the series. Still, one of the best fantasy books ever, though.

Second, Malazan Book of the Fallen is very violent - lots of murders, battles, not a lot of magic. It also has a cast of thousands literally and many of the names sound alike.

None of this bothered me. However, I have seen people complain about these things on fantasy sites. In the case of the names, I have seen suggestions that you keep a notepad near to write the names down to keep track. I thought that the important characters were vibrant enough that this wasn't a problem and I still remember some years after I read the books but it might be something to consider.

So, if you don't mind these things, and you like good modern fantasy like Game of Thrones, you will love Malazan. Erikson is one of the best fantasy writers around. He is also an anthropologist so his world- and character building seem very real. Personally, I think he's better than Martin in this regard. The other nice thing is that the series is complete (he still writes about Malazan but the books are separate from the series) so you don't have to wait years for the next one.

message 3: by Jonathan, A dream within a dream (new)

Jonathan (headspinningfromvagueness) | 386 comments Mod
Another thing, that I have heard from others, and I have completed the first book recently is that the earlier books are worse in quality if not what they contain. Yes they are violent but they are certainly must read fantasy!

Sara | 6 comments I've read them all. I loved the series although I had to go back and re-read them sometimes because of the gap between releases, just to remind myself of the different groups. It is a great series though.

Kyle | 80 comments Mod
This has been on my to-read list for ages, and I still haven't gotten around to it...perhaps it might make a good new year's resolution.

Adrian | 7 comments This is one of the best fantasy series I have read.
However, be prepared for tangled plot lines. There can be a lot of disparate strands to follow that do all resolve themselves at the end.

Erickson also got one major bit right...He wrote a definite end to the series rather than going on forever. There are other books set in the same world exploring other aspects, but the main sequence doesn't drag on.

Ctgt The only fantasy series I would rate higher would be The Lord of the Rings. I love this series and have just started a reread with the group The Malazan Fallen if you are interested in joining. We are reading 4 chapters a week with lots of discussion. We are starting Deadhouse Gates this Monday.

As Maxine and Adrian said there are a ton of characters and lots of twisted plot lines. His characters are not black and white but many shades of gray, at one point I hate a character then 50 pages later I'm not so sure anymore.

Frankly, I enjoyed this series much more than ASoIaF. I know Martin hasn't finished the series yet but the last two books didn't do much for me.

Sara | 6 comments I'm starting the prequel series at the moment and was just wondering if anyone else has got into it?

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Gardens of the Moon (other topics)