Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1) Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone discussion

Should Harry have been Muggle-Born?

Comments (showing 1-22 of 22) (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Andrea (last edited Sep 10, 2012 06:42PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Andrea I mean, for all the people who are discriminated against, wouldn't Harry have been the perfect inspirational, literary character? If he was Muggle-Born, and people at his school were rude to him, yet Harry came out the hero in the end, wouldn't that have been more inspirational? Think of all the people who are discriminated against in the real world. Anyway, I'm just saying. What do you think?

Not that Harry Potter isn't inspirational already! I'm just saying, like, what if!

message 2: by Avani (last edited Sep 10, 2012 06:24PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Avani I think Hermione was JK Rowling's way of defying the Muggle-born stereotype. So, I think that Harry is perfect as a half-blood, with a tie to the Muggle-born world with his mum and a tie to the Pureblood world with his dad. He kind of had the best of both worlds.

It's a perfect balance, actually, now that I think of it. Hermione the Muggle-born, Harry the Half-blood, and Ron the Pureblood, all bringing out the best of their labels.

message 3: by [deleted user] (new)

Ron also known as a blood traitor.

Avani Mariah (Military Brat) wrote: "Ron also known as a blood traitor."

Yes, but he was a good person--I didn't mean bringing out the best of the stereotypes, I meant that all three labels had people showing that someone under any label can be good.

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I know. I didn't mean to be rude. It's just how I remember him classified as

Line Avani wrote: "I think Hermione was JK Rowling's way of defying the Muggle-born stereotype. So, I think that Harry is perfect as a half-blood, with a tie to the Muggle-born world with his mum and a tie to the Pur..."

I think it was almost a stroke genius, for J.K. Rowling to let Hermione be the muggleborn, since she's the most booksmart and the best at magic, of all the pupils at Hogwarts...

Helen Stevens His Mum was a muggle-born as well.

Avani Line wrote: "Avani wrote: "I think Hermione was JK Rowling's way of defying the Muggle-born stereotype. So, I think that Harry is perfect as a half-blood, with a tie to the Muggle-born world with his mum and a ..."

Exactly. Like Lily.

Supsup3214 harry isnt half blood he is pure blood both his parents had wizard powers.

Helaina if he was a muggle born, the story would have been changed. If his parents weren't wizards, then they would never have fought against voldermort. then they wouldn't have died, he wouldn't he a horcrux and the whole story would be different.

Helaina Avani wrote: "I think Hermione was JK Rowling's way of defying the Muggle-born stereotype. So, I think that Harry is perfect as a half-blood, with a tie to the Muggle-born world with his mum and a tie to the Pur..."

ur cool, so agree

Lindsay Supsup3214 wrote: "harry isnt half blood he is pure blood both his parents had wizard powers."

He's half blood because his mother is a muggle-born. Pure-blood is a term for families with only magical family members--no muggles. Harry is half-blood the same way that Tonks is--they have one pureblood parent and one muggle-born. Their grandparents on one side were muggles, which constitutes a half-blood heritage.

Also, as already said, if Harry was a muggle-born, there would really be no story. Because both of his parents would be muggles,bathe prophecy would be inaccurate (having parents who thrice defied Voldemort) and there wouldn't have been a reason for Harry's parents to be murdered by Voldemort or fr Voldemort to attempt to take his life (especially as a muggle-born, who he considered no better than his own perverted view of muggles themselves).

I believe that Hermione acts as a wonderful beacon for muggle-born pride in the books.

Peeves Lindsay wrote: "Supsup3214 wrote: "harry isnt half blood he is pure blood both his parents had wizard powers."

He's half blood because his mother is a muggle-born. Pure-blood is a term for families with only magi..."

Not so sure there Lindsay.. i mean i thought Voldemort was Half-Blood. One parent being a wizard and the other a muggle. Same with Snape(half blood prince?). You see if harry was a Half -Blood, the snorting hat wouldn't have remotely considered snorting him into Slytherin. So in a sense isn't he a Pure blood? Just a question!

Anyway i think poor Harry would have psychological problems what with him being an orphan, the most powerful wizard out to kill him and add on the pressure and stress of being a Muggle-born.

Agreeing with Lindsay about the story scope and Hermione doing a great job! The punch she landed on Draco will forever be the most celebrated part of the series and the greatest motivation for us minorities all!

Peeves

Tell me this isn't inspirational haha!

To all of you people out there who has been discriminated just like me: we don't have to prove ourselves to people not worthy of us. "Who is worthy of us?" you may ask. Here my friend, i point my long fingers at Ron and Harry. They were not Muggle-born, yet they defended Hermione every. single. time. These are the type of people worth your time and love. So cheers! Keep your eyes open for people who have your back no matter what others say, till the very end. Then, discrimination, rasicm, bullying will only be a small speck of dust in the wide horizon.

God i am so cheesy.

message 15: by Lindsay (last edited Sep 12, 2012 12:45AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Lindsay Peeves wrote: Not so sure there Lindsay.. i mean i thought Voldemort was Half-Blood. One parent being a wizard and the other a muggle. Same with Snape(half blood prince?). You see if harry was a Half -Blood, the snorting hat wouldn't have remotely considered snorting him into Slytherin. So in a sense isn't he a Pure blood? Just a question!

If you read Order of the Phoenix at the end (chapter 37: The Lost Prophecy, to be exact) when Dumbledore is explaining the prophecy to Harry, he says that Voldemort did not choose the pureblood (Neville), but the half-blood (Harry), like Voldemort himself. That officially marks Harry as a half-blood (though perhaps J.K. Rowling says it before, I just specifically remembered that instance and could look it up).

Also, not everyone who is in Slytherin could be a pureblood--there simply aren't enough pureblood witches & wizards. They discuss in....HPB, I believe, the fact that not all Death Eaters could possibly be pureblood, and the majority of to-be Death Eaters ended up in Slytherin. You also pointed out two known Slytherins who were not pureblood

Peeves OH! Haha good point.. thanks for clearing that up ;D

Lindsay No problem c:
I just happen to know way too much about Harry Potter bahahaha

Kristin Lindsay wrote: "Supsup3214 wrote: "harry isnt half blood he is pure blood both his parents had wizard powers."

He's half blood because his mother is a muggle-born. Pure-blood is a term for families with only magi..."

I completely agree that the entire story would have changed if Harry were a muggle-born. If that happened we would have read Neville Longbottom and the Philosopher's Stone.

message 19: by Line (new) - rated it 4 stars

Line Lindsay wrote: "No problem c:
I just happen to know way too much about Harry Potter bahahaha"

You can't know to much about the HP world, 'cause it really is an entire world... That's one of the things i that makes me love the books...

There's not much you can nitpick and such about, because JKR really thought everything threw...

Nichola (Tangential at first but bear with me)

A few years ago the British National Party set up a demonstration in Bolton UK. For those not familiar with the chemistry here I'm going to over simplify it by saying the BNP is racist and Bolton had I hige diversity of ethnicities. It was tipped to cause trouble from the start with opposing demonstrations from the Asian community.

On they day, there was opposition...from the white community much to the shock of a lot of people. For some reason (It's beyond me why) the white community opposing racism seemed to pack a bigger punch in the confidence of the BNP.

The point I'm trying to make is that maybe Harry being pureblood could pack a bigger punch than him being muggleborn and fighting for the rights of muggle borns.

*Disclaimer. I'm not saying this is morally right or that I support this notion, it was just an observation from my life. I'm ashamed to say I know one of the demonstrators on the side of the BNP and he was fuming that the "white people turned against their own" - direct quote. Needless to say we are no longer in contact, my doing.

message 21: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah If Harry had been muggle born, the whole story wouldn't have had any purpose. The whole story was about how Harry Potter's parents were killed by lord Voldemort. Sirius or Remus wouldn't have met Harry. Snape wouldn't have hated Harry. The whole story would be horrible if Harry were muggle born. Besides, Hermione takes on the role of the Inspirational Muggle Born.

message 22: by Leah (new) - added it

Leah And to clear the whole "Pure Blood" thing up, just because someone has two magical parents doesn't make them pure blood. Since Lily was muggle born, her blood wasn't "pure". Harry's grandparents were muggles, and any pure blood family with a close relation to a muggle wouldn't count as pure blood. So, Harry is half-blood, aka, half-pureblood, since his father was pureblood. Another way to be a half-blood is if one parent is a muggle and the other is a wizard/witch.

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (other topics)