Classics Without All the Class discussion

General > Free audiobook with kindle downloads!

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments So I guess Amazon is teaming up with audible (not really teaming up since Amazon owns Audible) and they are premiering their "Whisper Sync" program so that you can have the professional narration to go with your ebooks. They are offering free "whisper sync"narration with their free ebooks (so mostly classics!). Books like Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë, The Three Musketeers by Alexandre Dumas, Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson! Here is a link about it with a list of books. I haven't actually tried it out yet so if anyone does post back and tell us how it turned out! http://www.audiobookfans.com/2012/09/...

message 2: by Angie, Shelf-tator (new)

Angie (adowns) | 520 comments Keep in mind that many of the same classics already are available for free audio download through the Gutenberg Project. Which can be transferred to any ebook.

message 3: by Angie, Shelf-tator (new)

Angie (adowns) | 520 comments But if Amazon offers them too, that is awesome as well. ;-)

message 4: by Jeane, Book-tator (new)

Jeane (Pinkbookdragon) | 323 comments Ah yes! That is true Angie (that's why I put "professional narration.") Although I've heard some pretty good free audiobooks, I've also heard some pretty bad (same thing goes for professional narrations also) some of the many free audiobooks can be found here: http://librivox.org/

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I know this thread was mainly about audiobooks, but I do have to give a HUGE thumbs up to my Kindle Touch. We FINALLY have the wireless network set up in our house. Before, I was extremely happy that I could get a definition for a word simply by touching it. Now, I'm excited about getting Wikipedia articles on my Kindle for any word or name I touch. FANTASTIC!!!

Also, I tend to download a lot of the "Free" books that Amazon offers. Often, if there are words or phrases that are written in a different language (French, Italian, Spanish, German...), the translation is not made available. I can't really complain since the book is free. The Poe stories I downloaded are perfect examples. Phrases are written in other languages, and no translations are made available. Now, I simply highlight the word or phrase I want translated, and VOILA (French for, "Here")!!! The Kindle gives me the translation. Even Chinese and Japanese translations are available!

I praise it, but I think the Kindle is making me a lazy reader. No longer must I determine a word's meaning through context. Wikipedia is immediately available if I want to know more about a character or setting. I even have instant translation!

Kindle > Physical Books: I'm sold. Greatest investment I made for my reading pleasure.

message 6: by Liz (new)

Liz (shadoedove) | 5 comments this is great news! in the past, I was using audiobooks librivox on my cell while reading amazon classics on my kindle fire. the drain on my cell battery was harsh.

I love my kindle. I was curious to see whether amazon had fixed the connectivity problem with them or not when kindle fire hd came out. it was the only problem I had with my current kindle. the charger connector has not been changed and it is worse than before if you believe the reviews on amazon. this along with the other disasters I have. been reading about on the reviews means I will be waiting to check out kindle fire iii before giving over my current version.

unread topics | mark unread