Utopian and Dystopian Reading Group discussion

Suggestions > Need YA dystopian fiction recommendations please!

Comments (showing 1-18 of 18) (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Rowan (new)

Rowan | 1 comments I'm at university at the moment, going into my last year doing English Literature, so I'll be completing my dissertation this year, and I'm doing it on expressions and images of maturity in YA dystopian fiction.

I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for ANY good books that might fit...I've got quite a list already (The Knife of Never Letting Go- Patrick Ness, The Giver-Lois Lowry, The Shadow Speaker- Nnedi Okorafor for example) but I thought some of you guys might have some good/obscure/interesting/literary ones. :)

message 2: by Brittany (new)

Brittany Bryan | 2 comments Uglies by Scott westerfield, hunger games, Exceptionals

message 3: by Miranda (new)

Miranda | 4 comments Divergent by Veronica Roth

message 4: by M. P. (new)

M. P. Ness (M_P_Ness) | 4 comments um. you could try this'n

E.L.F. - White Leaves
Title: E.L.F.~White Leaves
Genre: Dystopian/Urban Fantasy
Type: FREE Serial (w/free Droid or iOS eReader Apps)
Posting: Thursdays
Length: 24 of 29 chapters (Finale drawing nigh!)
Ranked: 1st @ JukePop Serials
Reviews?: 1 @ 4*'s http://reviewerteamwinz.wordpress.com...
Description: Mankind stands upon its own terminus, heedless of ruin. The Elves have decreed, something must be done about Men.

Shannon, a misanthrope would-be eco-terrorist member of the E.L.F.(Earth Liberation Front) in Seattle, WA isn't the best advocate for mankind's salvation, but that's exactly what she must overcome herself to become when she discovers real Elves are the true culprits behind eco-terrorism and what it all means.

message 5: by A.K. (new)

A.K. (akbutler) | 8 comments I don't know if this is allowed, please delete with my apologies if it's not, but I just wrote a YA utopian/dystopian along those lines. I won't link, I'm almost positive THAT'S not allowed, but it's called The Burning of Cherry Hill and was released like last week haha. Fits the "obscure" requirement for sure. Carry on. :) (And good luck with your dissertation!)

message 6: by D.L. (new)

D.L. Christopher (DLChristopher) | 9 comments A little bit of adult content in places, but Snow Crash is a pretty good, youthful dystopia.

lézengő reader (kergezerge) | 1 comments The Forest of Hands and Teeth has a more mature heroine than the others I've read so far, and not a lot of action. (it's the first part of a trilogy, I haven't read the sequels yet)

message 8: by Shiloh (new)

Shiloh | 3 comments Forrest of hands and teeth its a good one, check my books all of them fit what you are looking for

message 9: by Pia (last edited Apr 04, 2013 03:29PM) (new)

Pia Phoenix (pia_phoenix) "Z for Zachariah" by Robert C. O'Brien, published in 1974. It's a post-apocalyptic novel for YA/children.

message 10: by Eelaynuh (new)

Eelaynuh | 6 comments Shadow of the Red Moon by Walter Dean Myers, The Giver by Lois Lowry, Harrison Bergeron (short story in Welcome to the Monkey House) by Kurt Vonnegut.

message 11: by Tim (new)

Tim Edwards (scifibooklover1970) | 1 comments The Biomass Revolution (Tisaian Chronicles #1) by Nicholas Smith

Here is a new dystopian book, not even a month old. It has all four and five star reviews right now on goodreads and amazon.

I like to take chances on indie authors and this one ended up being worth it. Before I bought the book I read several reviews comparing it to a modern day 1984 and even Logan's Run (the movie).

If you like dystopian novels that incorporate action and adventure this may be a good choice for you.

message 12: by Kelly (new)

Kelly Hull (KellyVan) | 1 comments Tim wrote: "The Biomass Revolution (Tisaian Chronicles #1) by Nicholas Smith

Here is a new dystopian book, not even a month old. It has all four and five star reviews right now on goodreads and amazon.

I like to take chances on..."

I'm a brand new indie author and maybe you guys could take a chance on me. Tent City by Kelly Van Hull

message 13: by Abel (new)

Abel Guerrero | 1 comments Bit late in the day, but try Gemma Malley's 'The Declaration', or Maria J. Snyder's 'Inside Out'. I prefer the former, fwiw ...

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

similar to the handmade's taleKing Solomon's Wives: Books I - III

message 15: by Jeni (new)

Jeni (jenilynn27) | 3 comments Loved Article 5 and Break Point by Kristen Simmons.

message 16: by Jeni (new)

Jeni (jenilynn27) | 3 comments Also - LOVED this series: By Beth Revis
Across the Universe (Across the Universe, #1)
A Million Suns (Across the Universe, #2)
Shades of Earth (Across the Universe, #3)

message 17: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Dalton (sarahdalton) | 16 comments Shattered Worlds by Elle Casey

Hey, if you like YA dystopia, this boxed set has 6 books for 99c. :)

message 18: by Anne (new)

Anne Charnock (AnneCharnock) | 9 comments I'd recommend in YA, Little Brother by Cory Doctorow. Little Brother

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Snow Crash (other topics)
The Forest of Hands and Teeth (other topics)
The Biomass Revolution (other topics)
Tent City (other topics)
King Solomon's Wives: Books I - III (other topics)