SciFi and Fantasy Book Club discussion

What Else Are You Reading? > What I am also reading in February

Comments (showing 1-21)    post a comment »
« previous 1 2 next »
dateUp arrow    newest »

message 21: by LaTrica (new)

LaTrica | 12 comments I highly recommend the Vorkosigan series. I've only read a few but loved them.

message 20: by Henry (last edited Feb 06, 2009 02:57PM) (new)

Henry | 31 comments I am reading Deryni Rising by Katherine Kurtz. It was very highly recommended to me by a friend!

message 19: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments Cicero wrote: "I would also like to hear anything about "2666" from anyone who has read it."

<< Waves her hand - me too me too - I'm vey interested in this book!

message 18: by Stuart (new)

Stuart (stuartellis) | 28 comments I keep thinking about starting in on the Vorkosigan series, and I'm probably going to pick another Margery Allingham novel. Allingham's books are like a cross between Agatha Christie and Jeeves & Wooster - good fun and a very easy read.

message 17: by Cicero (last edited Feb 05, 2009 12:32PM) (new)

Cicero | 48 comments I would also like to hear anything about "2666" from anyone who has read it.

message 16: by Robin (last edited Feb 05, 2009 08:16AM) (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments I had to update my list -- the final proof of Avempartha came back from publisher so it gets moved up on list.... And another update - Princess Bride just came in from the Library. Man I got to start to close some of these out ;-)

Avempartha by Michael J. Sullivan Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Terry Pratchett Faerie Wars by Herbie Brennan [image error] A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, Vol. 1) by George R.R. Martin The Princess Bride  by William Goldman

message 15: by Laurel (new)

Laurel I am currently reading:
Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
Calibre by Sam Sarkar

I will be reading Crown Conspiracy by Michael Sullivan as soon as it arrives!

I hope to also read books recommended by friends from Goodreads:
Hyperion by Dan Simmons
Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold
Brokedown Palace by Steven Brust
Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
Dune by Frank Hebert

I've never read a lot of sci fi, but you all have excellent taste, so hopefully I'm converted!

Kate, let me know what you think of 2666. I've been hearing a lot about it and would love to pick it up.

message 14: by Catamorandi (last edited Feb 12, 2009 05:14PM) (new)

Catamorandi (wwwgoodreadscomprofilerandi) I will be reading:

The Road
The Hobbit
Memoirs of a Geisha
Paragon Walk
The Handmaid's Tale

message 13: by Jeffrey (last edited Feb 25, 2009 03:36AM) (new)

Jeffrey Jelmeland (Geoffrie) | 16 comments Aside from Watchmen, my primary focus this month is on the Honor Harrington series by David Weber. I am also sampling Starship: Mutiny by Mike Resnick to see if that series is one that I want to get into.

message 12: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments Kate wrote: "I keep hearing about 2666..."

Wow thanks for reminding me of that I was reading a review of it on one of the fantasy blogs and totally forgot about it - adding to my TBR now.

message 11: by JuliAnna (last edited Feb 02, 2009 09:50PM) (new)

JuliAnna | 53 comments Sandi wrote: "I'm currently reading The Thirteenth Tale A Novel by Diane Setterfield. My t..."

Sandi, great books in your list. I loved The Ghost Map.

message 10: by Jensownzoo (last edited Feb 16, 2009 08:28PM) (new)

Jensownzoo | 201 comments My grand plans didn't work out so well for last month, so I think I will fly by the seat of my pants with my selections for this month. I would like to read The Road to participate in the discussion since the book is already in my TBR pile. I've got plenty of others keeping it company so it just depends on my mood as who gets to go first!

The saga thus far:

Real Murders by Charlaine Harris
Kitty and the Dead Man's Hand by Carrie Vaughn
Teany Book Stories, Food, Romance, Cartoons and, of Course, Tea by Moby and Kelly Tisdale
Unshapely Things by Mark Del Franco
Unquiet Dreams by Mark Del Franco
Unfallen Dead by Mark Del Franco
The Road by Cormac McCarthy
Jennifer Government by Max Barry
Oh My Goddess! Volume 1
The Good Fairies of New York by Martin Millar

message 9: by Beth A. (new)

Beth A. (BethALM) I'm currently reading Inkdeath.

message 8: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 232 comments Kate: ...and March, and April? That's a biiig book. :)

message 7: by Cicero (new)

Cicero | 48 comments I am reading Flashman's Lady by George MacDonald Fraser and am being reminded why I loved the previous Flashman books so much. Great fun.

I plan to hopefully read (depending on availabilty at library and so forth) the following

Exile and the Kingdom by Albert Camus

Blindness by Jose Saramago

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman

Ship of Magic by Robin Hobb

message 6: by Becky (new)

Becky (Beckyofthe19and9) | 685 comments I'm currently reading American Gods, an I've got The King of Torts, Beloved, Jurassic Park, and Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil lined up. I also need to choose a classic to read for the month. I'd like to tackle Bleak House, but probably won't have time, so will probably read Rebecca. I've been wanting to read that one for a long time.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 232 comments I'm not usually one for biographies, but I've been really enjoying James Tiptree, Jr. The Double Life of Alice B. Sheldon, and hope to finish it tonight, since it's due back at the library today.

Also out of the library right now:
Nation
Unaccustomed Earth

message 4: by Robin (new)

Robin (RobinSullivan) | 348 comments Wow lots of great reads this month's - and thanks all for TCC loving. This is what i have on tap at the moment.

Good Omens The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch
Faerie Wars
Breaking Dawn
A Game of Thrones

message 3: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) I'm currently reading The Thirteenth Tale A Novel by Diane Setterfield. My to-read pile for the next couple of weeks includes:

The Well of Ascension by Brandon Sanderson
Anansi Boys by Neil Gaiman
The Ghost Map The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic--and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World by Steven Johnson
Gilead A Novel by Marilynne Robinson
First Among Sequels by Jasper Fforde

I just ordered The Crown Conspiracy by Michael J. Sullivan

message 2: by Jon (last edited Feb 11, 2009 03:14AM) (new)

Jon (jonmoss) | 894 comments Currently listening to these audio books while traveling and commuting:

Gilead A Novel by Marilynne Robinson - hope to get back to this audio book this week
Revolutionary Characters What Made the Founders Different by Gordon S. Wood - more than half finished
The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell - finished 2/8/2009

I also have the audio book for The Road which I will start after finishing the Sparrow. I scrapped this and returned it to the library unread/unlistened to.

I started reading (but may not finish):

The Club Dumas by Arturo Pérez-Reverte - decided to back burner this.

I will probably read The Curse of Chalion by Lois McMaster Bujold (started reading 2/3/2009; finished 2/11/2009) as well as The Ghost Brigades by John Scalzi.

After that, if there's any time left in February, I will tackling my mooched book stack.

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie | 342 comments Well this month I plan to read........

Pet Sematary
The Secret Life of Bees
Confessions of a Shopaholic
Speak
Emma
The Chocolate Wars
Ten Big Ones

« previous 1 2 next »
unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Club Dumas (other topics)
The Road (other topics)