Love Inspired Historicals discussion

70 views
Monthly Author Q&A > Q&A with September 2012 Authors!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 73) (73 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Deborah (last edited Sep 03, 2012 05:08AM) (new)

Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Because of the Labor Day Weekend in the US and Canada, we'll wait to start our September Q&A tomorrow. I just thought I'd post the thread today to let our members know it is coming. Once again, we have all four of our authors for the month taking part!

Our September authors are: Stacy Henrie, Lily George, Winnie Griggs and Abby Gaines. Once again, we'll have giveaways from our authors for participating members, so get your questions ready...

Happy September!


Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 665 comments I can't wait! I love the sound of all of these books!
Have a Happy Labor Day everyone!!


Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Good morning, everyone! To start off our September Q&A, we have debut author Stacy Henrie, to talk about her book Lady Outlaw.

I love the cover for this book - it has such urgency and it's so close-in - quite different in a good way! I always like a story with a twist and this one has an interesting role reversal where the heroine is the one prepared to bend the rules and disregard the consequences, while the hero is the person of faith.

Stacy, I always like to ask debut authors about their path to publication and first sale. Can you tell us a bit about how you came to write Lady Outlaw and sell it to LIH?


Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 665 comments Sounds like a good book. What made you choose this time period?


Rhonda Gibson (RhondaGibson) | 104 comments Good Morning everyone!

Stacy I can't wait to read your book, Lady Outlaw!


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Laura and Rhonda - welcome!

Lady Outlaw originally began as a companion novel to the first book I ever wrote, but it soon took on a life of its own. :) I entered the book's pitch in a contest Harlequin was hosting and got a request from them to see the whole manuscript. Initially they passed on it, but I was persistent. :) I asked if they would see it again, given the things they liked, if I fixed the problem areas. They agreed and the rest is history! I received the call that they wanted to publish the book in January of this year.

Laura, great question! I toyed with the idea of setting the story when train travel in Utah was more accessible. But since I wanted to set the story in a small town rather than a city, I eventually decided to stick with a time when stage coach travel was still the best way to get around.


Lyn (LynCote) | 1199 comments The title alone is intriguing, Stacy!


Rhonda Gibson (RhondaGibson) | 104 comments I agree Lyn and I love the cover!


Paula-O (kyflo130) | 1422 comments Hi Stacy, I hopped over and read little about this book and it sounds like a wonderful story.
A woman for an outlaw and she meets a bounty hunter-now all kinds of things can happen with these two unlikely people together-cant't wait to read this story.


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Lyn - welcome! Funny thing about the title - it was one of the original ones I had for the book. The title I submitted to Harlequin was the name of a blog, so I had to suggest some others. My editor looked over the list and then asked me what I thought of "Lady Outlaw." It made me smile to think the book would have one of my original titles! :)

Rhonda - The art department did such a fabulous job with the cover! It really captures the ambiance of the book and Jennie's character.

Paula - welcome! Caleb wasn't a former bounty hunter in the first couple versions of the manuscript. My amazing critique group made that suggestion, which really strengthened Caleb's character and back story as well as the conflict between him and Jennie. Now I can't imagine him as anything else. :)


Dawn (baseballblondie) | 65 comments I've read some of this book. What I find fascinating is Jennie's struggle with breaking the law and her need to provide for her family.


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Hi, Dawn! I find "old west" outlaws fascinating. :) One of Utah's most famous, Butch Cassidy, was raised in a religious home, like Jennie. But he and so many others turned to crime as a way of life. I find that intriguing.

What would drive a person to break the law when they know better? Does the end ever justify the means?

For Jennie that first outlaw act is spurred by her desperation to provide for her family, just like you said, and keep her land - to not be a quitter. And I think like all of us to a degree, once she takes that first step, it's easier to take another and another and keep justifying her actions in the guise of doing something good in the end. Her journey back to integrity and hope was a lot of fun to write! :)


Ausjenny | 3828 comments Welcome Stacy,
I love the idea of this book (and I need a book set in Utah for my 50 state challange)

Do you hope the books spurns of others books set in the same ares or era?


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Ausjenny - welcome! Yay - I'm glad my book helps you with the 50 state challenge. :) What a fun thing to do!

I was excited to set Lady Outlaw in my homestate. The two towns featured in the book aren't too far away from me - in fact, I even have pictures on my web site of the different areas in the book.

It would be fun to have more stories set here in Utah and in that era. The Transcontinental Railroad was completed near Salt Lake City in 1869, connecting the west to the rest of the country. And we have several notorious outlaws who had hideouts here that would make for some fun stories too. :)


Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Thanks for taking part in our September Q&A, Stacy -- it was neat to learn more about Lady Outlaw. I loved how the title returned to your original one -- obviously it was meant to be!


Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Our Featured Author for Wednesday is Lily George and her September book is The Temporary Betrothal. Welcome, Lily!

As a Regency reader, the lovely cover and intriguing title of your book draw me right in. I notice your hero in The Temporary Betrothal is a veteran of Waterloo, like the hero of your first book Captain of Her Heart. Are the two stories related - the start of a series?


Lily George (LilyGeorge) | 27 comments Hi Deborah, thanks for inviting me. Yes, The Temporary Betrothal is a sequel to Captain of Her Heart. The third book in the series, The Governess and the Soldier, will be out in 2013. TTB follows Harriet's sister Sophie, who is in love with Captain Brookes' best friend, Lieut. Charlie Cantrill.


Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 665 comments I haven't read either of your books Lily but I must fix that soon! I really like the sound of both books. I love the fact LIH is releasing a few Regency books each month now.


Lily George (LilyGeorge) | 27 comments I am headed to my day job, ladies, but will check for messages and questions when I get home! Have a great day.


Paula-O (kyflo130) | 1422 comments Ahh Lily the dreaded day job to pay the bills-hope your day is a good one.I too have not read these books and in fact I am learning about you and your books here. I checked out the stories on goodreads and really like the story of Sophie, I will need to find these books. always happy to find a new author that writes historical type books. I liked the fact that you had your character working with veterans -not enough can be said about this group of guys that gave so much in that period...


Lyn (LynCote) | 1199 comments Ah, titles, Stacy. I got to keep the 1st 3 for LI but since then-no.


Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Stacy wrote: "Ausjenny - welcome! Yay - I'm glad my book helps you with the 50 state challenge. :) What a fun thing to do!

I was excited to set Lady Outlaw in my homestate. The two towns featured in the book a..."


Sorry I'm late to your party, Stacy. Those holiday weekends really mess up my subsequent days. There's a huge resurgence in interest in the construction of transcontinental railroad. My Golden Heart finalist friend Kay Hudson blogged on a T V show about it, but I've never watched it.

You say this is your second book. Any plans to ever publish the first? What ya working on now?

Welcome.


Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Deborah wrote: "Our Featured Author for Wednesday is Lily George and her September book is The Temporary Betrothal. Welcome, Lily!

As a Regency reader, the lovely cover and intriguing title of your book draw me..."


Many of us who love the Regency must be grateful to Love Inspired Senior Editor Tina James. Her love the of the era is bringing in a lot of exciting authors like Lily. Gotta get your book. Thanks for those hyperlinks, Deb. And thanks for all you do for us LIH authors.


JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2753 comments Mod
Stacy -- I must get your book. I love the cover and the concept!!


Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Janet wrote: "Stacy -- I must get your book. I love the cover and the concept!!"

Off topic here, but I really enjoyed Janet's article in the RWR about writing series.


JanetTronstad Author Tronstad | 2753 comments Mod
Oh, thanks, Cheryl! It was fun to write -- I was happy I could quote quite a few LI authors, too.


Winnie Griggs (WinnieGriggs) | 153 comments I'm late to the party - the days are all mixed up in my mind. Stacy and Lily, both of your books are in my TBR pile and I'm itching to get started on them as they are set in my two favorite settings for books - western and regency!

Lady Outlaw has such a great premise, and LOVE the title.

Ditto for the Temporary Betrothal. Both titles immediately get the mind wondering about the storyline and pull you right in!!


Ausjenny | 3828 comments Welcome Lily, this sounds like the type of Regency I could like. I am not fond of the ones that deal mainly with the aristocrats and the balls etc but like where that isn't as big a feature and I do like military side more. (I loved hornblower).

HOw did you come up with the concept for the book? And in your research did you find something unexpected that surprised you?


Lily George (LilyGeorge) | 27 comments Paula-O wrote: "Ahh Lily the dreaded day job to pay the bills-hope your day is a good one.I too have not read these books and in fact I am learning about you and your books here. I checked out the stories on good..."

Thanks, Paula! Ah, yes. The day job. Today went rather well, so I can't complain, LOL. Hope you enjoy the books!


Lily George (LilyGeorge) | 27 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Welcome Lily, this sounds like the type of Regency I could like. I am not fond of the ones that deal mainly with the aristocrats and the balls etc but like where that isn't as big a feature and I d..."

Thanks, Ausjenny! Actually, my hook--as my editor and agent call it--is that I write about the common people and relegate the aristocracy to the sidelines in my Regency tales. One of the interesting things I learned for this book is that, as a seamstress, Sophie enjoyed more independence than she would have as the daughter of a gentleman. I had a lot of fun with that!


Lily George (LilyGeorge) | 27 comments Winnie wrote: "I'm late to the party - the days are all mixed up in my mind. Stacy and Lily, both of your books are in my TBR pile and I'm itching to get started on them as they are set in my two favorite settin..."

Hi Winnie! Thanks, and I hope you like TTB!


Lily George (LilyGeorge) | 27 comments Cheryl wrote: "Deborah wrote: "Our Featured Author for Wednesday is Lily George and her September book is The Temporary Betrothal. Welcome, Lily!

As a Regency reader, the lovely cover and intriguing title of y..."


Adding my thanks, too!


Lily George (LilyGeorge) | 27 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "I haven't read either of your books Lily but I must fix that soon! I really like the sound of both books. I love the fact LIH is releasing a few Regency books each month now."

Me too, Laura! ;)


Barbara | 494 comments Lily, I love regencies and yours sounds very interesting since it comes from a slightly different angle. How do you make sure you have time to write and meet deadlines when you also work a regular day job? I imagine that can be very difficult.


Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Many of us who love the Regency must be grateful to Love Inspired Senior Editor Tina James. Her love the of the era is bringing in a lot of exciting authors like Lily.

Definitely, Cheryl! I'm so grateful for the chance to write the kind of Regencies I love to read - I'm really looking forward to yours for LIH. And thanks for the kind words. It's been a great experience to learn more about the other LIH authors and their books.

Lily, thanks for taking part in the Q&A - your series sounds like just the kind I love!


Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
Today's Featured Author is here for her second Q&A -- it seems like just the other day Winnie Griggs was here talking about her Irish Brides book. Like our other September books, Winnie's has a wonderfully intriguing title Handpicked Husband!

The premise of this story sounds like so much fun, Winnie, with the heroine trying to persuade a bunch of suitors that she'll be an unsuitable wife. What was your inspiration for story?


Paula-O (kyflo130) | 1422 comments Good morning Winnie, always good to read about your books-love them. I would pick this one up for the title, like the idea mail order brides so this is just little twist and the guy is chosen...
reading little about the story I am wondering if Adam might have little more to do then bring the men to the bride to be. That too of someone helping them seems unusual what made you put that twist in the book? This sounds like quite an unusual grandfather.


Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance | 665 comments I agree what a great twist for a Mail Order Bride story. Trying not to make a match. I love the idea!


message 39: by Winnie (last edited Sep 06, 2012 08:02AM) (new)

Winnie Griggs (WinnieGriggs) | 153 comments Thanks for the intro Deb. As for the inspiration, I've always loved a mail order bride story, but was looking for a way to put a new twist on it. So I decided to do a groom instaed of a bride. Then, wanting to take it a step farther, I decided to make it three grooms and to have the bride-to-be not want any of them. How's that for a twist?


message 40: by Winnie (last edited Sep 06, 2012 08:03AM) (new)

Winnie Griggs (WinnieGriggs) | 153 comments Paula-O wrote: "Good morning Winnie, always good to read about your books-love them. I would pick this one up for the title, like the idea mail order brides so this is just little twist and the guy is chosen...
r..."


Paula - what a sweet thing to say! And yes, Adam is much more than an escort for the three men. Regina is actually the step-aunt of the boy she wants to adopt, not a blood relative. That makes the grandfather Jack's closest blood kin so she needs his permission for the adoption. The grandfather is concerned that she is a spinster and gives her the ultimatum, marry one of these men I've handpicked for you or I'll take Jack. Adam is there to do just that if she doesnn't follow through.


Winnie Griggs (WinnieGriggs) | 153 comments Laura AKA Loves 2 Read Romance wrote: "I agree what a great twist for a Mail Order Bride story. Trying not to make a match. I love the idea!"

Thanks Laura. I had great fun coming up with ideas for how she could make herself 'unsuitable' for each of the three men since they all had such diffeerent personalities and goals for their lives.


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Janet wrote: "Stacy -- I must get your book. I love the cover and the concept!!" Thanks, Janet!!!


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Winnie wrote: "I'm late to the party - the days are all mixed up in my mind. Stacy and Lily, both of your books are in my TBR pile and I'm itching to get started on them as they are set in my two favorite settin..." Thanks, Winnie! Yay, for westerns. :)


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Cheryl - Will I ever publish my first written book? I don't know. :) I like the premise, but it needs serious cuttage because it's WAY too long. It was my learning-curve book!

Right now I'm working on an inspirational romance series set during WWI that I'm publishing with Grand Central Publishing. The first book is slated for release in March 2014, which is the 100-year anniversary of the start of WWI.


Ausjenny | 3828 comments Winnie, love the premise of this story, love her trying to prove shes unsuitable. In your research did you find any tibits you found interesting and were surprised to find?


Winnie Griggs (WinnieGriggs) | 153 comments Ausjenny wrote: "Winnie, love the premise of this story, love her trying to prove shes unsuitable. In your research did you find any tibits you found interesting and were surprised to find?"

Hi Jenny! Most of the research I did for this one revolved around photographic technology and practices of the period because the heroine is a photographer. I not only learned a bit about that subject, but I had great fun going through lots of old photographs taken during the late 1890s.


Stacy Henrie | 12 comments Lily and Winnie - both of these books sound like great reads! That's what I love about LIH books - all the different time periods and settings and unique twists to the plots!


Deborah Hale | 639 comments Mod
I love it when an author is able to put a fresh new spin on a favorite type of story. Sounds like you've done it in spades, Winnie!


Winnie Griggs (WinnieGriggs) | 153 comments Deborah wrote: "I love it when an author is able to put a fresh new spin on a favorite type of story. Sounds like you've done it in spades, Winnie!"

Thanks Deb! I must say I had a lot of fun writing this one!


Cheryl Bolen | 74 comments Stacy wrote: "Cheryl - Will I ever publish my first written book? I don't know. :) I like the premise, but it needs serious cuttage because it's WAY too long. It was my learning-curve book!

Right now I'm workin..."


Stacy wrote: "Cheryl - Will I ever publish my first written book? I don't know. :) I like the premise, but it needs serious cuttage because it's WAY too long. It was my learning-curve book!

Right now I'm workin..."


Oooo. World War I! Sounds fabulouos. I know what you mean about those learning books. I have several -- including a blatant ripoff of JANE EYRE -- that I will never allow to be published! Indie publishing has helped me spruce up some of thoe seven under-the-bed books I wrote before Harlequin Historical bought my first. I'm happy to say some have done very well.


« previous 1
back to top