Cocaine Pages discussion

Ender's Game (The Ender Quintet, #1)
This topic is about Ender's Game
Monthly Group Reads > September 2012 - SF month - Orson Scott Card - Ender's Game

Comments (showing 1-20 of 20) (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana  (anavladescu) | 275 comments Mod
For 2012's month of September, we have as a group read Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card.
The sooner you read it, the better! We can discuss it afterwards.
Enjoy!

message 2: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm about to finish it and it's not even the middle of the month. Anybody else in this situation? :))

Manfred Cruz Read it before but read it again. It was great! Now onto the next book!!!

message 4: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new) - rated it 5 stars

Laurentiu Lazar (Laur1989) | 172 comments Mod
I'm still waiting for my order to arrive. Probably in a couple of days I'll receive it.

message 5: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (last edited Sep 12, 2012 08:46AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished it. It's amazing! But ofc we'll discuss it after everyone's done with it. ;)

Brandusa (brandubell) | 40 comments I finished it today.Amazing book!

message 7: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new) - rated it 5 stars

Riiiiight?! I loved it. I'm so glad you finished it. :d

message 8: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (last edited Sep 16, 2012 06:34AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Everyone who's read it so far has rated it 5 stars. That must mean something, haha

message 9: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new) - rated it 5 stars

I still don't have the book, though I checked when it was dispatched and has the date of september 19. Normally it takes maximum seven days until it reaches its destination.

I hope I receive it this week.

message 10: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ok I just received my Ender's Saga set. The Ender Quartet Box Set. So tonight I'll be able to start reading the book. :)

message 11: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new) - rated it 5 stars

that's wonderful! but i have to warn you, tonight or tomorrow we're going to start the discussions about it, so don't enter this topic again until you're finished!!! otherwise it's going to be spoiled... :d

message 12: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new) - rated it 5 stars

I finished the book yesterday while I was at my grandparents. It certainly is one of my favorites and rated it 5 stars. I'm also close in finishing
Speaker for the Dead and will write some of my impression in the forthcoming days.

message 13: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new) - rated it 5 stars

I'm so glad! Now that we all finished it we can finally talk about it - I've been waiting for some weeks now for this! haha

for the first thing, I want to say that I was in love with Ender from page 40, or something like this. Not as a boy, but as a character - I just really loved that way he was presented and designed! I think it was a really strong point for me in continuing to read the book, the fact that I liked Ender more and more and more throughout it.

message 14: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (last edited Oct 01, 2012 06:23AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

My main problem in the beginning was that I had to adjust to the idea on which the book was based- warfare with children. It's really hard even imagining some 6 years old kids preparing for war and doing the stuff they did. Anyway, after passing this small obstacle I managed to enjoy the rest of the book.

Despite the things he is made to do I appreciated Ender especially for his Empathy and love!! shown to his enemies.

message 15: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new) - rated it 5 stars

yeah I found it hard at times, also. I would read about him and they would say that he just did this, or that, and then they'd drop that he was 7, or 9, or eleven..

but then again going back on it, I loved that fact that he was a child. it made it more cruel, more torturous to know that he lost the innocence that would have been his in a normal world..

and yes, in a commander, empathy and love are rare things to find. even if he is a character of fiction, it's amazing how well he was created from this point a view - he was the worst criminal of the world.. and the one with the biggest heart. superb!

Ghilimei | 39 comments I've read this book for the first time when I was in highschool (so at least 10 years ago) and I tend to re-read it every year, that's just how much I love it. For anyone who loved it, read the next books of the series and is nostalgic about the atmosphere in that first awesome book, I recommend reading Ender's Shadow which is Bean's story and point of view. I always read them together now for double awesomeness :)

Ghilimei | 39 comments Ana wrote: "I'm about to finish it and it's not even the middle of the month. Anybody else in this situation? :))"

Ana, I know it's late cause September is over, but I just wanted to suggest that you read the rest of the series as well. It's well worth it!

message 18: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (new) - rated it 5 stars

I am reading Xenocide as we speak. So far this book isn't as appealing as the others, but not bored either.

I'm not fond of Quing Jao and his story seemed a bit poor to me, with lots of stuff I didn't care to find out.

message 19: by Ana , compulsive dreamer (new) - rated it 5 stars

oh yes, I'm now on Xenocide and finishing it soon. I just got Ender's Shadow from Brandusa, and I'm going to read it as soon as I'm done with this one, and then when I will get my ebook (which will be soon because my birthday was on the 28th and this will be my present), I'll get everything else that Card has written on the subject.

Laur, I'm on the exact opposite page from you! I find that Xenocide is a beautiful development exactly because it's not all about Ender anymore, and I find Quing Jao very intriguing! :))

message 20: by Laurentiu, Acta non verba (last edited Oct 03, 2012 01:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maybe is the fact that I don't care for her character so far. The whole "holy one" with this gibberish rituals that she performs (I don't like her tracing skills :P ), the way she feels filthy all the time... it just doesn't make me believe.
(this is how I feel)

Currently at page 160 and most likely will read more tomorrow. I really want to see The Wiggin's reunited.

As for the rest, nothing to complain. I also like the fact that it's more than Ender's story, but I hope that he will appear more in the following chapters since so far he played a small role in the narrative.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Ender's Game (other topics)
The Ender Quartet Box Set (other topics)
Speaker for the Dead (other topics)
Ender's Shadow (other topics)
Xenocide (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Orson Scott Card (other topics)