The Sword and Laser discussion

TV, Movies and Games > Doctor Who Discussion (spoilers)

Comments (showing 1-50 of 329) (329 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (last edited Sep 30, 2012 07:04AM) (new)

Rob (robzak) | 2423 comments Mod
Who else is excited for the new episodes of Dr. Who?

Verizon FIOS finally got BBC America HD so I can at long last enjoy the new episodes in glorious HD without waiting.

I'm sad they are only airing 5 episodes this year, but I'll take what I can get.

I enjoyed the series premiere. I'll be curious to see what happens with the Ponds before they leave.

I've only been a fan since the 2005 reboot, so my list of companions is limited, but they have been the best of the new bunch in my opinion.

Rory has been especially great since most of the other companions have been young female eye candy.

That isn't to say their characters have been bad (prior to the Ponds, I really liked Martha Jones, and was sad her run was so short).

I just think Rory brings a lot of emotion and I find myself better able to identify with him/his reactions to situations than any of the others.

Not to mention the dynamic between the 3 of them has been great.

Assuming her character doesn't change much from the premiere, I like the new companion so far, but I'll be curious to see how they sort things out given the end of the episode.

Agrajag | 56 comments I loved it. There was some funny dialog; I laughed out loud several times. For people who have trouble understanding some of the lines, I'm very happy to say that the iTunes release of this season has closed captions (for the first time). The episodes are released on iTunes the day after they air on BBC America.

I'll miss Amy and Rory. They've been wonderful.

Danielle The Book Huntress (Angels Weep For Goodreads) (Gatadelafuente) | 44 comments It was really good. Matt Smith is a great Doctor. Reminds me of the older ones.

Katie | 14 comments ***Spoilers*****

And Oswin was amazing! As much as I'm going to HATE Rory and Amy leaving, because I LOOOOVVVVE them, I'm excited to see what this actress brings to the table as a new companion!

And I just can't wait for the Angels Take Manhattan...they are SO my favorite monster of all time!

message 5: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

But next is Dinosaurs on a spaceship!

David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments How's Oswin going to escape the machine? Any ideas? I've been reading the Old Man's War books so I'm thinking consciousness transfer.

Agrajag | 56 comments Would anyone here name their daughter Oswin? Just wondering. :D

From the site "Think Baby Names":

Oswin as a boy's name is of Old English origin, and the meaning of Oswin is "God's friend".

http://www.thinkbabynames.com/meaning...

message 8: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

I think Oswin is her last name.

message 10: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

I thought her name was going to be Clara?

Tim | 360 comments Moffat has been going around telling all sorts of porkies, so who knows. He is also on record as saying the new assistant wouldn't appear until Christmas... (of course there's still scope for a twin sister or some such)

I wouldn't necessarily assume she was killed in the explosion either, not when the Doctor has a TARDIS...

Anyhow, after the furore over Sherlock, nice to see the US is getting Who the same day as us. :)

Jane Higginson | 160 comments I was super excited for the new series of doctor who and Loved it, any episode with daleks in is cool and rory asking them if they wanted eggs was hilarious! I did not like the new companion but probably because I really really dont want amy and rory to leave so I probably will like her eventually lol, cant wait for weeping angels epsiode!

Kim (shirezu) | 386 comments I'm actually getting over Amy and Rory. Amy has changed a lot since she was introduced and just doesn't seem as nice. I'm looking forward to the new companion.

Eleanor | 73 comments Darren wrote: "First time I ever felt bad for a Dalek."

what about the episode from season one of the reboot? I think it was called "the last Dalek" That one made me cry

Really enjoyed this episode and looking forward to more. Think this series will be better than the last (which I found a little disappointing)

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 95 comments Darren wrote: "First time I ever felt bad for a Dalek."

Second time for me. The first was in the new who season 1 episode titled DALEK.

This was, for me, the best episode that Steven Moffat's written since he took over the running of the show and the second best (after Neil Gaiman's The Doctor's Wife, which is just brilliance on toast).

Creepy, funny, sad and with a killer twist - what more is there to ask for?

Matt | 90 comments David Sven wrote: "How's Oswin going to escape the machine? Any ideas? I've been reading the Old Man's War books so I'm thinking consciousness transfer."

I don't think she will escape; I think the Doctor will 'somehow' end up on the Alaska before it crashes and she'll be saved that way. Although consciousness transfer would be a way to explain the name change.

Jim | 43 comments I loved the opening for this season, or series if you will. Like everybody else I wonder how this thing with Oswin is going to work but I can't wait to find out.

Jason Leary | 5 comments LOVED it! I'm going to be devastated when Amy and Rory leave. without a doubt Amy's been my favorite companion, but I really enjoyed Oswin in this episode. Soufflee Girl - too cute!

Moffat again proved he's one of the best writers alive today!

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I found the premiere to be rather lacking. The twist was pretty obvious and the rest of the episode wasn't all that special. Aside from Oswin, who was rather adorable.

Stuart (Asfus) | 61 comments David Sven wrote: "How's Oswin going to escape the machine? Any ideas? I've been reading the Old Man's War books so I'm thinking consciousness transfer."

That could explain Clara the new companion, unless I am being a bit dim she needs a lookalike body to be available.

message 21: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

I knew there were a lot of Daleks in the series premiere, but Every Dalek Ever?

Anna-louise | 21 comments I was so excited it was back my Saturday night TV in the UK isn't the same without Dr Who and Merlin. Loved the twist with Oswin in the first episode that made me sad. Dinosaurs on a Spaceship was great :)can't wait till next week!

message 23: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

I love Merlin too. Sadly, unless something changes, Merlin is on a delay in the States since it's shown on SyFy rather than BBC America. I think it's supposed to air starting in January.

I was fine with that because I didn't mind waiting for HD airing. Now that I have BBCA in HD, I kind of hope SyFy's contract expires soon and it gets simulcast. In the last maybe 6 months they have started showing re-runs.

And yes, I liked this week's episode. They had great guest stars. The guy who played Mr. Weasley in the Harry potter movies as Rory's dad and the guy who plays LeStrange on Sherlock.

I especially liked the part where (view spoiler) The sheer ridiculousness of it was amazing.

David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments I would have liked Samuel L Jackson to make a cameo appearance and then the "Snakes on a Plane" reference would have been complete.

Andrew | 30 comments Kim wrote: "I'm actually getting over Amy and Rory. Amy has changed a lot since she was introduced and just doesn't seem as nice. I'm looking forward to the new companion."

Ditto

message 26: by Anna-louise (last edited Sep 11, 2012 11:34AM) (new)

Anna-louise | 21 comments Rob wrote: "I love Merlin too. Sadly, unless something changes, Merlin is on a delay in the States since it's shown on SyFy rather than BBC America. I think it's supposed to air starting in January.

I was fin..."

Sucks when you have to wait for something you love, especially when you know thats its being shown much earlier. I feel for you! Hopefully BBC America will pick it up. I love TV now, years ago we had to wait an age for american shows now they are mostly shown at the same time. For example we get Game of Thrones just a day later! huzzah :)

I flipping loved the ridiculousness of Dinosaurs on a Spaceship. Part of the reason why i love Dr Who is that it doesn't take itself so seriously and you can have a laugh! but when they do sad, geez they really know how to get a girl! I think its brilliant writing.

Jim | 43 comments Kim wrote: "I'm actually getting over Amy and Rory. Amy has changed a lot since she was introduced and just doesn't seem as nice. I'm looking forward to the new companion."

She might have changed but I find her more watchable than I did Rose near the end of Billy Piper's run. Rose was acting like she was too good for her regular life, at least to me, and was glad to see her go.

message 28: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

I definitely got tired of Rose by the end. I'm not tired of Amy though. Her character has definitely changed though. To me the changes makes sense, given all her character has been through.

I think if Rory hadn't become a permanent companion her character might be harder to bear. As it is I think the 2 characters compliment each other well. So while I'm excited for the new companion, (assuming her personality is anything like in the season premiere) I'm still sad to see the Ponds go.

I also can't believe that Matt Smith (45) has almost done as many episodes as David Tennant (48) now. To me it still feels like it hasn't been that long since Tennant left.

Also Amy (35) is now ahead of Rose (34) for number of episodes.

I'm not sure if those numbers reflect the current series or not (I got them from imdb).

I had always wished Martha Jones had a longer run. Like maybe she could have done all of the Donna episodes.

Ayesha (craniumrinse) | 149 comments I really liked Dinosaurs on a Spaceship (aside from the Snakes on a Plane reference) becuase it allowed some focus on everybody's favorite male nurse. This ep did a great job of showing Rory as more than surety that Amy and the Doctor won't spend entire episodes talking about white picket fences and 2 car garages (I'm looking at you, Rose).

Rory was actually cool. He was capable, confident and if I were ever trapped on a motherf-ing spaceship with some motherf-ing dinosaurs, I'd want Rory there with me.

This ep did a great job of showing that Rory's appeal is the exact opposite of the Doctor's. While the doctor has mad flashes of brilliance, Rory is sensible.

The Doctor always knows what to do, but he's kind of a spazz about it. (What with the waving arms and "Eureka!"-like shouting.) Rory, on the other hand, often has no idea what to do, but he doesn't panic, doesn't flail about. He simply manages what he can until he has more information. It's a quieter sort of confidence that is easily overshadowed by the Doctor (and by Amy, as well), so it's great to have it put on display (sans the plastique centurian).

Also, "This won't hurt.... I lied."

message 30: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Along those lines I like how Rory has collected stuff for a Med kit.

Ayesha (craniumrinse) | 149 comments Rob wrote: "Along those lines I like how Rory has collected stuff for a Med kit."

Yes, Rory's nursing swag is hardcore

message 32: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

I wonder if the toy company that sells the replica sonic screw drivers will start selling Rory Pond Med Kits. ^_^

Ayesha (craniumrinse) | 149 comments What goes in a time-traveller's med kit, anyway?

Jonathan | 183 comments Matt wrote: "David Sven wrote: "How's Oswin going to escape the machine? Any ideas? I've been reading the Old Man's War books so I'm thinking consciousness transfer."

I don't think she will escape; I think the..."

She won't escape and The Doctor wouldn't be able to rescue her pre-crash either, because if the Doctor did that Oswin wouldn't have erased the Doctor from the Dalek pathweb. The timeline where the Daleks had forgotten the Doctor would have never happened. Which would make the ending of the first episode of this season not work.

message 35: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Ayesha wrote: "What goes in a time-traveller's med kit, anyway?"

That's really tough. Too many scenarios to prepare for. First off I'd want some kind of bag of holding to put it all in.

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 95 comments You're a time traveller. You just put in the things that you know you needed before you go there.

Um...

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 95 comments So, Ben Browder in A Town Called Mercy. What did we all think?

Personally I thought it was patchy. Looked good, Mr Browder done good, but the plot was rather dull and didn't even tie up the western genre touchstones well.

message 38: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Still 2 hours till it airs here, and I likely won't watch it the morning. Watching Doctor Who over brunch has sort become a tradition for me the last few years.

I'm excited to see Ben Broader will be on it though.

Anna-louise | 21 comments It wasn't my favourite ep. but i do like it when the Dr gets a bit mean!

Matt | 90 comments Jonathan wrote: "Matt wrote: "David Sven wrote: "How's Oswin going to escape the machine? Any ideas? I've been reading the Old Man's War books so I'm thinking consciousness transfer."

I don't think she will escape..."

Dang it that's a good point. I've been timey-wimey'd again...

David Sven (Gorro) | 1551 comments Matt wrote: "Jonathan wrote: "Matt wrote: "David Sven wrote: "How's Oswin going to escape the machine? Any ideas? I've been reading the Old Man's War books so I'm thinking consciousness transfer."

I don't thin..."

Just call it a "paradox" and anything is possible

message 42: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

I liked the episode, though not as much as the first 2.

It had a couple of good quotes. I especially liked: "You're both good men. You just forget it sometimes."

Jason Leary | 5 comments well, here's the thing. The doctor could save Oswin before her ship crashes, and then be forced to bring her back at the end of her run to fulfill her "destiny". I think that could bring some weight to her run as companion. To always have this looming, unavoidable tragedy hanging over her run. Very sad.

Ruth (till-tab) | 1028 comments I'm not sure why everyone thinks the doctor will save Oswin (have you guys been reading rumours about the show? I try not to) but I very much doubt he would use time travel to save her, since it's been pretty well established that the doctor can't go back and mess around with such things. There are rules and such. I mean, I could be wrong, but I highly doubt it. If she does survive, she's done it on her own somehow.

Darren Humphries (Darrenhf) | 95 comments The Doctor's rules are very fluid though. He saved Jack Harkness from blowing up by using the Tardis to get to him in time, but he didn't save Adric way back when his spaceship was crashing.

Anna-louise | 21 comments Rob wrote: "I liked the episode, though not as much as the first 2.

It had a couple of good quotes. I especially liked: "You're both good men. You just forget it sometimes.""

I like the quote about the horse ."actually he's called Susan and he wants you to respect his life choices" lol

Doc (doc_coleman) | 21 comments The other thing to remember is that while we've seen Oswin, the Doctor hasn't. He doesn't know what she looks like as a human.

Doc

message 48: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Anna-louise wrote: "Rob wrote: "I like the quote about the horse ."actually he's called Susan and he wants you to respect his life choices" lol "

Yea..that one was good as well.

William Bylaska | 16 comments Reminds me of how Martha was a temp who was killed by Cyerbermen before she was a companion.

message 50: by Jim (last edited Sep 20, 2012 01:42AM) (new)

Jim | 43 comments Darren wrote: "The Doctor's rules are very fluid though. He saved Jack Harkness from blowing up by using the Tardis to get to him in time, but he didn't save Adric way back when his spaceship was crashing."

As I recall he couldn't save Adric because a Cyberman shot the TARDIS console. But when his other companions wanted to go back and save him the Doctor said he couldn't because they were already there and he can't really go back to a time he's already in. Granted he apparently figured it out by the time he hit his ninth life, maybe even his sixth since he had to save his second incarnation.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7

unread topics | mark unread

Authors mentioned in this topic

Neil Gaiman (other topics)