Mockingjay (The Hunger Games, #3) Mockingjay discussion

Peeta vs. Gale

Comments (showing 1-50 of 1,248) (1248 new)    post a comment »

Emily So when I finished the books, I thought I was a die-hard Gale fan. But upon rereading, I realized that throughout the first two books, I really liked Peeta. By Mockingjay I was just so dissapointed with how things turned out with Peeta I thought Katniss would be with Gale for sure. I know what happened to Peeta was not his fault so...any thoughts?

Tina J I absolutely HATED Gale! (Sorry!) lol
He mainly got on my nerves. And it annoyed me how he thought he had dibs on Katniss because he knew her 'longer'.

Gale walks about with a chip on his shoulder, as does Katniss - they're best friends because they're so alike.
More like brother and sister, if anything.
And who really wants to get it on with their brother?
That's just nasty!

Whereas Peeta is everything Katniss is not, making them a whole unit when put together!
And I think it's so sweet how he's lover her from afar for so long.
Besides, Gale could never love Katniss the way Peeta does, and it's proven when Gale goes to district 2, instead of fighting for her.
And even though she doesn't really deserve him, Peeta is good for her!

message 3: by Anna (new)

Anna Peeta was a total sweet-heart and deserved to be loved and cherished, but not by Katniss. She always out for herself other than saving her sister, it's all about her.

Camila PEETA!!
Gale is like Katniss but Peeta complete her, they're meant to be together. Actually, I was hoping he became 'the uncle Gale' but he left instead.

Zhanaestilinski I couldn't believe Gale left, I was crushed. Not that there's anything wrong with Peeta...I guess if you like a guy that can decorate cakes and toss 100 lb sacks of flour over his shoulder.But if that's what Katniss deserved then...Meh.

Kayla Humphreys For me, neither. To me they're both terrible people (characters?) as is their love interest. It's like choosing between Edward and Jacob. I say neither.

Marisa I hated Gale. He was to controlling of Katniss.

Miracle Peeta. He is so sweet and has a way with words.

Deirbhile GALE HES UBER HOT IN THE MOVIE

Renae Richardson I believe that Gale and Katniss were probably soul mates. Katniss always loved Gale and Gale secretly always loved Katniss. They grew up together and looked out for each other. While Peeta looked out for her once because he was infatuated with her, Peeta was never on Katniss' radar. Gale even took care of her family while she was gone not knowing if she would ever come back.

Katniss fell in love with Peeta because of circumstance. He was to her a wounded animal. He worshiped her but the feeling was not reciprocal. I think she was impressed that Peeta would do anything in the world for her. She was overwhelmed by the fact that someone was willing to go through those lengths. I think she learned to love him in a way but not an equal way. Not a way that one should feel towards a life long mate. I believe that Gale will always be her equal and the object of her affections. Peeta will be the recipient of her compassion and indebtedness.

Alyssa After I finished reading the books I was in love with Peeta. I wanted him for myself but I was hoping Katniss would realize what she had with him before Mockingjay ended. Gale was a nice guy but I liked Peeta more.

message 12: by Mia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia Renae wrote: "I believe that Gale and Katniss were probably soul mates. Katniss always loved Gale and Gale secretly always loved Katniss. They grew up together and looked out for each other. While Peeta looked o..."

thank you this is perfection.

message 13: by Leia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leia Renae wrote: "I believe that Gale and Katniss were probably soul mates. Katniss always loved Gale and Gale secretly always loved Katniss. They grew up together and looked out for each other. While Peeta looked o..."
i agree and disagree with you. I think that Katniss and Gale had more of a brother/sister kind of love while Peeta and Katniss were IN love. However, i think you are right about how Katniss won't love Peeta as much(or in the same way) as he loves her.

Sophie I agree with the above, I don't think Katniss will ever love Peeta as much as he loves her. But ugh, Gale-

I will re-post what I have written for previous discussions like this...

By the end of this series, I was Team Peeta. Once upon a time, it would have been Gale, but my good opinion of him blew up when he ditched Katniss and blew up her little sister.
Not cool, Gale. Not cool.
NOT.
THE.
WAY.
TO.
MAKE.
FRIENDS.

message 15: by Leia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leia Sophie wrote: "I agree with the above, I don't think Katniss will ever love Peeta as much as he loves her. But ugh, Gale-

I will re-post what I have written for previous discussions like this...

By the end of t..."

AGREED!!

Sophie :)

message 17: by Leia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leia i cried when prim died

Sophie I know - she's like (not exact quote here) "I am a fire-mutt, and my little sister is a flaming torch."

And I was like WHAT?! I cried more when Rue died though.

message 19: by Leia (new) - rated it 5 stars

Leia ya me too. i cried more when i watched the movie.

Raksha Gale is Katniss's best friend. Katniss' relationship with Gale is often contrasted with the friendly or romantic playacting she does with Peeta. Though Katniss doesn't allow her feelings for Gale to fully develop, it's clear that they are present. Gale mentions the subject of running away together, but Katniss sees this as something that, given their duties to each of their families, is impossible. "The idea is so preposterous," she says (1.26). So she doesn't stop to wonder whether it is a lack of feelings, or simply circumstances, that keeps them apart.

Genevieve Elwell Sooo peeta!

Shirley honestly if there's anyone i'm disappointed in, it's katniss. i know that i can't blame her entirely for her falling apart and making stupid choices because i've never been in her shoes and maybe i would have done the same. still, by the end i was thinking, 'why are we still reading about her? why should we care?' because i sure didn't care. i wanted to know more about the future of panem.

so, the peeta vs. gale question is a non-issue for me. it became too central to a story that was about so much more. personally, i prefer gale, but i can see that katniss and peeta really did need each other in the end because they were so broken. although, i expected peeta to be stronger than that since he's portrayed as so emotionally superior all the time. i'd like to have seen what would have happened to katniss if peeta hadn't stuck around, to be honest.

Yanic I think that we're forgetting one very important thing: Katniss it's only 17. Is there anyone who can say that made perfect choices at this age? I think that when she decides to stay with Peeta (I think that was a true decision, I tough she was going to die alone) she just embraced the love she already had for him. Also, she stayed with him because she needed him to survived...
I think she could stay with both, after all it's a new world, right? I believe Gale wouldn't stay anyway, he's too sane, you know? Actually he didn't, and I was devastated when I read that...

Alisha Rosey I love Gale but I'm not in the mood to debate about it at the present moment, sorry :)

Makayla I like Gale in the first book but as I continued reading I fell in love with Peeta. And then in the last book when Peeta had all that stuff happen to him and he was crazy and stuff I didn't like him as much because he wasn't anything like the Peeta in the other two novels. I really liked Gale again in the last book more than before but I was always rooting for Peeta.

Emily Ann Peeta Gale is so lame.

Kenzie Peeta! tina has a major point gale and katniss are too much like brother and sister and ive hated gale pretty much the entire series.......

message 28: by Aoife (new)

Aoife Crotty Shirley wrote: "honestly if there's anyone i'm disappointed in, it's katniss. i know that i can't blame her entirely for her falling apart and making stupid choices because i've never been in her shoes and maybe i..."

Eh... Pretty sure shed tumble into an endless pit of despair and insanity... I AM TEAM PEETA

message 29: by Gale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Gale I was gale all the way.I really wanted him to get married at the end but it didnt happen.Katniss shouldve just killednhim when he asked her.I am just really annoyed with that ended it should not have ended that way.

Kaelyn Peeta. I did NOT like Gale in the last book because I felt like he was take advantege of Katniss because wasn't she like really worried about Peeta I haven't read in forever.

message 31: by Aoife (new)

Aoife Crotty Kaelyn wrote: "Peeta. I did NOT like Gale in the last book because I felt like he was take advantege of Katniss because wasn't she like really worried about Peeta I haven't read in forever."

I agree... I cant be the first person who read the start of the first book and was like: WOW Gale and Katniss <3 but then kept on reading and decided I preferred Peeta and that Katniss and Gale had a more sibling kind of love (but in Mockingjay that was ruined.... Gale turned into a controlling jerk)

Jessica I definitely was rooting for Gale. Just because they were friends before and I think they'd be really good together. I feel like Peeta and Katniss was kind of forced.

Alisha Rosey Jess wrote: "I definitely was rooting for Gale. Just because they were friends before and I think they'd be really good together. I feel like Peeta and Katniss was kind of forced."

Definitely.

Katie Alisha Rose wrote: "Jess wrote: "I definitely was rooting for Gale. Just because they were friends before and I think they'd be really good together. I feel like Peeta and Katniss was kind of forced."

Definitely."

yeah they were sort of forced to love each other and Gale i think loves Katniss if it was Peeta v.s. Gale Gale would win anyday

Alisha Rosey Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale Gale

Lindsey Renae wrote: "I believe that Gale and Katniss were probably soul mates. Katniss always loved Gale and Gale secretly always loved Katniss. They grew up together and looked out for each other. While Peeta looked out for her once because he was infatuated with her...

Katniss fell in love with Peeta because of circumstance. .. I think she learned to love him in a way but not an equal way. Not a way that one should feel towards a life long mate. I believe that Gale will always be her equal and the object of her affections. Peeta will be the recipient of her compassion and indebtedness. "

My thoughts exactly. Katniss and Gale have this strong life-long bond and love for each other. While, I always felt like Katniss's feelings for Peeta were born more out of debt for all the kindness and compassion he had shown her. I think that she cared for Peeta very much, but that her true love was Gale.

Alisha Rosey Lindsey wrote: "Renae wrote: "I believe that Gale and Katniss were probably soul mates. Katniss always loved Gale and Gale secretly always loved Katniss. They grew up together and looked out for each other. While ..."

I couldn't have said that better myself Lindsey!

Christie Peeta, no doubt.
I mean he's been there for her and they've fought and everything. Have you ever seen Gale being there through thick and thin? No.

message 40: by Aida (new) - rated it 5 stars

Aida If you consider profoundly - we actually compile that Peeta conveys a greater passion towards Katniss. Gale endeavors his best, but it's not enough, Gale and Katniss have known each other for a long time, despite this their affinity is quite restricted? Gale merely enjoys Katniss' company and her passion towards protecting people - if Gale truly loved Katniss, surely he would've volunteered himself?

Peeta find it hard to depict his love towards Katniss, Katniss doesn't want to accept his love, she is rather stern. Peeta protects and declares his love for Katniss.

Overall, Peeta wins for me...

Ayesha TEAM GALE...Why? Because Gale is strong, brave, self-reliable, he is the male-counterpart of Katniss and he is dead HOT. He always looked after Katniss and her family even after she left for the Games, all Peeta did was throw burnt bread at her once (no, I don’t hate Peeta, I hate Katniss for being selfish and blind not to see Gale’s love for her). Gale did everything he could to keep her happy during hunting as well as during the rebellion (especially when he volunteered to rescue Peeta). He loved her.

I hate the fact that Katniss blames Gale (though mentally)that his bomb had killed Prim, it was as good as blaming a gun maker for a murder committed by his gun but by someone else’s hands

And how could Gale volunteer for Peeta in the games? he'd promised Katniss to take care of her mother and sister not to mention that Gale was the only food-and-shelter-provider of his own family...how could he leave them behind ??

Salmah TEAM GALE

Owllover Tina J wrote: "I absolutely HATED Gale! (Sorry!) lol
He mainly got on my nerves. And it annoyed me how he thought he had dibs on Katniss because he knew her 'longer'.

Gale walks about with a chip on his shoulder..."

I hated both of them.

Bailey Team Peeta!!1

message 45: by Shy (new) - rated it 4 stars

Shy Gale more than Peeta. But! Besides Cinna, Finnik was my favorite character. Cinna was just a different story.

Nurlely Peeta was always the best for Katniss.
Peeta was smart. He was able to survive the games despite the fact that he was brought up as a Baker' son, with no how-to-survive-in-jungle lessons ever.
Gale left when Katniss chose Peeta. He probably could not bear staying near her with someone else. Gale was not as strong as he was supposed to be, a hunter and fighter. Peeta would sacrifice his own life for Katniss' safety.

Robin I think Peeta is best for Katniss!

Cherene She chooses the guy who hides in the mud rather than the one who was self sufficient!

Also, he THREW her a piece of burnt bread into the mud and thinks he's a hero. At least walk over there and hand it to her, jerk face. : )

Saffy I think Peeta is more sufficient for Katniss. Gale is nice and thoughtful and has been a friend of Katniss's for a long time but he technically killed Primrose. If he hadn't done that then I may have reconsidered. Gale, in my opinion, is more like a brother to Katniss because they have know each other for a long time and both Katniss's and Gale's family went through tough times together. Peeta on the other hand, is more middle class. His family was never in need of anything.

Kaitlynn Peeta was the better man for Katniss because he actually cared for her and treated her with kindness. Gale technically murdered Prim with his idea of the bomb trap. It sickened me and I'm glad Katniss didn't have second thoughts about getting together with Gale. Peeta is her one and only.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 24 25

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

Mockingjay (other topics)