The Doctor Rules!!!!!! discussion

Series 7 > Asylum of the Daleks - SPOILERS AHEAD

Comments (showing 1-50 of 168) (168 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Eris Vianney (last edited Sep 01, 2012 10:04PM) (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments So guys, what did you think of the episode? I am so overjoyed with happiness, but I am trying to type rationally. I managed to find the whole episode on YouTube, so YAY! :D

Here are my thoughts:

1. I loved Oswin. I look forward to her as the new companion.

2. That twist ending was grand and heartbreaking at the same time.

3. That moment between Amy and Rory near the end of the episode made me burble over with happiness. And also sadness - Amy can no longer have children because of what Kovarian and her scum did to Amy on Demons Run? :(

4. The Dalek posession of humans was freaky. O_o I have no doubt that if I had watched this when I was younger I would've been traumatized for life.

So... what did everyone think of the series debut?

message 2: by Janeen-san (last edited Sep 02, 2012 12:38PM) (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments I liked that the Doctor was somber. Immediately what happened after Ten, his outwardly happy personality was kind of shocking and I like that he's finally starting get a bit more serious. But don't get me wrong, I love it when he's funny, too. I really liked when he materialized inside the TARDIS. I really liked the entire episode, although at first I was extremely puzzled as to what was happening with Amy and Rory. I didn't want them to get divorced! They are really cool characters! But I really liked the revelation of what happened. It totally made sense and I'm really glad that Amy still loves Rory. She hid her broken heart in front of a camera, and by kicking Rory out, she 'saved' him, in a sense, so he had the choice to start a new life with someone who could have kids.
I wasn't that crazy about Oswind, though. I didn't like that she kept flirting. If she hadn't I would've liked her better. The fact that she was a Dalek was definitely surprising and unexpected, though.
The thing that surprised me most about this episode was the fact that, in the end, all of the Daleks forgot the Doctor. He's the Predator! That is a really cool name; he's built himself a reign of terror over the many years; he's the Oncoming Storm! Remember how furious Nine got when encountering a Dalek for the first time? Why the meetings between the Doctor and the Daleks are so intense is because they hate him, and he hates them--immensely. If they all just forget him, it's almost as if the entire weight of the Last of the Timelord thing was taken off his shoulders!

message 3: by Eris Vianney (last edited Sep 02, 2012 01:19PM) (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments Nah, he'll be getting his reputation with them back soon. And they're still out there, so it's not like that burden is gone from his shoulders. He still remembers them and how evil they are. I think the reason that Moffat did that was so he didn't have to bring them back so often - Russell T. Davies overused the Daleks, in my opinion, and I think rarely bringing the Daleks out makes them a far more dangerous enemy.

I didn't mind Oswin's flirting (I mean, who wouldn't flirt with the Doctor and Rory? ^_^), but then again, after you see Irene flirting with Sherlock, any other type of flirting seems tame and innocent. :D I really liked Oswin's character, so the Dalek revelation was extremely sad, and I have no idea how the Moff is going to bring her back. Whatever it is, the meeting between Eleven and her will be brilliant!

You're right, Janeen. I really did like how serious Eleven was in this episode. He's what, over 1,000 years old now? You cannot live that long and not be serious sometimes.

message 4: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments I hope so! Maybe it'll be like how Amy remembered the Doctor, and he was brought back into existence. I have no idea. Gah! I now really can't wait for Christmas!

message 5: by [deleted user] (new)

I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a GREAT episode, just not the best. I guess I was expecting more. t seemed a bit rushed. Especially the part when the Doctor was seeing that Owsin was a Dalek. He just stepped in, said 3 lines, then left. Usually the Doctor is a little more inquisative so it was a bit shocking that he didn't do ANY investigating at all. He just left. That confuses me. Also, with Oswin, the first thing that came to mind was the Teselecta (Let's Kill Hitler). What if she is in the Dalek but she isn't the Dalek? Like she's trapped inside it bit isn't the Dalek itself. Myabe that's why the Doctor didn't investigate; so that Moffat could create some amazing plot twist. Maybe the Dalek wasn't really a Dalek, maybe it was a ploy, a trap, a fake? That's how Oswin is trapped? Ooh, relevations....

It did have great aspects too, though! I liked the fact that Amy & Rory were getting divorced. It brings a real world persective. In DW, it seems like without the aliens interfering, relations are perfect, but now it's more relatable I guess. I think the part where Rory was all, "I love you more than you love me!" was really touching. It was time that topic was talked about and then Amy counters, "I can't give you children!". Oh my gosh, It was heart breaking! You know when Moffat writes well when you can feel the emotions. I think now that all the feelings are out there, Amy & Rory can start establishing solutions and get the season really rolling like that boulder from Indiana Jones...!

Another thing I liked, the Asylum. I mean, it shows that Daleks aren't all perfect. They have weakness. I thought it was a great setting. So much conflict and emotion. Plus when the Daleks said, "Help us Doctor!". How often do you hear that? When emotions feel real, the plot becomes all too real. Also when Oswin wiped the Dalek's memory of the Doctor? How come it didn't affect her? Another reason I think she isn't really a Dalek. But the whole thing is just a big conflict. There's no way that was the last we'll see of the Daleks, so what happens next? Three words any writer wants to hear.

(P.S. It's Oswin, not Oswind, Juliana. Thought you might want to know. ^.^ )

message 6: by Denise (new)

Denise | 57 comments I was a little disappointed too. And the human daleks freaked me out. That's why I've always hated the cybermen because it's creepy that they used to be people and the daleks were never as scary before because they didn't mutate people but now I'm freaked out by both.
And I hated how Rory and Amy were going to get a divorce. That just ruined so much. Can't we have a show where the happy couple actually stays happy and together?
So that was bothering me through the whole episode which is probably why I didn't quite enjoy it as much as I wanted to. I'm relieved they worked everything out at the end though and I would like to rewatch it knowing that because I would probably enjoy it more.

message 7: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments You're right, Kirsty, I did feel that it was a bit rushed. In all fairness, though, they did have a time limit of 45 minutes, so they did have to cram a bit. Personally, I'm happy that they are electing to do more stand-alones. Last series had a lot of two-parters, and I know that that frustrated some of my Whovian friends on LibraryThing.

I did a rewatch of Asylum yesterday, and I really enjoyed it more the second time. Definitely recommend seeing it a second time.

message 8: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments If you want to, now is the time to send in your questions about Asylum of the Daleks to Steven Moffat and Caro Skinner. More information and details here: http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/doctorwho/...

message 9: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments Eris ~ I am Nemo wrote: "I did a rewatch of Asylum yesterday, and I really enjoyed it more the second time. Definitely recommend seeing it a second time.....You're right, Janeen. I really did like how serious Eleven was in this episode. He's what, over 1,000 years old now? You cannot live that long and not be serious sometimes.

"

I saw it with my friend last night! I LOVED seeing it a second time. Knowing the outcome made me enjoy it more, and I didn't mind Owin's flirting so much. (I think it sounds better as Oswind, tee hee.)

I can't wait to see if the Doctor gets more serious in the next episode!!!

message 10: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments Kirsty ~ Season 7 Doctor Whovian! wrote: "I have to admit, I was a bit disappointed. Don't get me wrong, it was a GREAT episode, just not the best. I guess I was expecting more. t seemed a bit rushed. Especially the part when the Doctor wa..."

The confrontation with Amy and Rory was so sad!! It totally made sense with the story though. I also kind of liked that Amy was a model. It showed that alot of time had passed since the Doctor.

message 11: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments And I've heard from Karen Gillan that we're going to learn more about Amy's career path. Apparently she hasn't just been a model - she's been a lot of different things, but it's hard to settle down after travelling with the Doctor.

message 12: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments Yeah, I imagine after traveling in the TARDIS for a long time it would be incredibly hard to adjust to real life!

CaptKirk42 Classic Whovian (klandersen) | 1144 comments Mod
Eris ~ I am Nemo wrote: "You're right, Kirsty, I did feel that it was a bit rushed. In all fairness, though, they did have a time limit of 45 minutes, so they did have to cram a bit. Personally, I'm happy that they are electing to do more stand-alones. Last series had a lot of two-parters, and I know that that frustrated some of my Whovian friends on LibraryThing.

I did a rewatch of Asylum yesterday, and I really enjoyed it more the second time. Definitely recommend seeing it a second time. "

If those 2-parters drive you nuts, you would have been nutty during the original run of the Classics. The format was "half hour" (technically 22-25 minutes) episodes with most stories running 4 episodes. Sometimes they would be just 2 parts and occasionally 6 parts, I think one of the Troughton Dalek episodes holds the record at an insane 12 parts. Later when sent to the US they started combining all the episodes into their individual stories so usually you ended up watching just under 2 hours of Dr. Who each week. I am so glad when they brought back the series they chose the "hour" format and tend to keep the stories one per episode.

Now back on topic: Asylum of the Daleks
I need to rewatch it Fortunately Comcast usually has it "on-demand" after it has been aired, and BBCAmerica usually reruns the previous week's episode just before showing the brand new one.

Biggest surprise was Yes the whole "She's a Dalek" thing. As someone else said maybe the Doctor will reverse the process when Oswin aka: Clara "Oswin" Oswald (I think that is her full name?) becomes his companion. Or in a weird timey-whimey way will meet her before she got shipwrecked on the Asylum planet w/ The Alaska.

UGH gotta go for now.

message 14: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments I agree with you on the Classic thing. It would be so crazy waiting for the next episode because they were so short!!

OK where was I?

The Ponds don't like the Divorce thing, but it does add another level. Someone said it adds more of reality. Well we are talking about traveling through time and space with a human-like alien who is aprox. 1,000 years old now so I guess the show needs more "realism" :)

I thought I had read a season or two ago that they weren't going to use the Daleks as much anymore and that was at least 3 Dalek episodes ago. It might have been one of those pre Davies/Moffat Transaction things. I agree with what was said about how they are better when they aren't around as often. That is true for most any of the regular enemies.

The Dalek Puppets were a pretty cool concept. Sort of a Dalek version of the Autons/Nestene.

message 16: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments I like how they got divorced but they still dearly loved each other :) So sweet

message 17: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments Well, they nearly got divorced. It just hadn't been finalized yet. I'm happy Amy and Rory didn't get divorced, but I'm not surprised that they almost did - in this day and age, people divorce over even smaller things.

message 18: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments I think the human Daleks should have morphed into the eye thing, like they did in The Empty Child.

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Oh don't remind me! Gah, they still haunt some of my nightmares in which my sister and parents become them right before my eyes!!! CREEPY!!

Anyways; Asylum of the Daleks.

Since I'm 100% positive that Oswin is Clara Oswin (the new companion) either the Doctor is going to have to go back into the Asylum or, of course like Kirk said, something wibbly wobbly timey wimey will happen and they'll meet before the crash. Wait! Wait, OMG revelation! The next episode is called "Dinosaurs on a Spaceship". Oswin's space ship? Maybe not, might be too early. She comes during the Christmas Special which will be episode 6 and it's only been 1 episode. Hmmm.......

message 20: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments I thought it was five.

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

No, 5 is the Weeping Angel episode where Amy and Rory leave. 6 is the X-Mas episode.

message 22: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments Cool.

message 23: by [deleted user] (new)

; )

message 24: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments ;)

message 25: by Janeen-san (last edited Sep 06, 2012 07:14AM) (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments I wish I didn't know that Oswin was going to be the new you-know-what. STUPID SPOILERS! :(

message 26: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments Laszlo wrote: "I think the human Daleks should have morphed into the eye thing, like they did in The Empty Child."

What "eye thing"?

message 27: by Karen B. (last edited Sep 06, 2012 07:23AM) (new)

Karen B. (raggedy11) One of the best things (I think) about Doctor Who is that just about anything can happen. We saw the Doctor die ... but he didn't die. We saw Amy on the Tardis ... but it wasn't really Amy. We saw Rory become a machine or what ever, but he came back to being Rory. Maybe he (the Doctor) will be able to go back in time and change that one thing about Oswin. It reminds me in a way of how they can make anything happen in a soap opera.

Janeen-san wrote: "Laszlo wrote: "I think the human Daleks should have morphed into the eye thing, like they did in The Empty Child."

What "eye thing"?"

The Dalek's eye stock, I think Laszlo is saying he wished that the special effects for the morphing to the eye stock had been done in the same way that the gas masks morphing was done in "The Empty Child" rather than just the glowing and appearing that they seemed to do.

Either they had a different effects crew/company working on this episode, or they wanted a different look since it was a different enemy, or they didn't want to spend as much money on the effect. Or a combination of all the above.

message 29: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments Coooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool.

message 30: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments I think it looked cool the way it was!

message 31: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments What did?

message 32: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments The way the Dalek stuff came out of the people! :D

Rosa Harkness ~ Queen of Wibbly-Wobbly (AnnaToTheMax) | 1433 comments I finally saw it, and I have to say, I. Am. Shocked. And I saw it two days ago!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!

message 34: by [deleted user] (new)

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

message 35: by David (new)

David (PsychicWitness) | 18 comments I loved the whole episode. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Doctor interacts with Oswin. The whole human Dalek thing has great potential and shows the Daleks in a whole new light.

Now for dinosaurs on a spaceship!

message 36: by [deleted user] (new)

Exactly! Saturday!! Two Days!!!!

message 37: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments Can't wait, can't wait, can't wait, can't wait! Dinosaurs on a Spaceship... oh, I hope it'll be the bestest thing evah!

message 38: by Zohal (new)

Zohal | 202 comments This past week I just keep on going

"Do you know what would be cool. Dinosaurs... on a spaceship. The past and the future connected. Is that not cool !"

Although people get annoyed that I keep on saying the same thing again and again.

message 39: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments Rosa Harkness, Jack's Epic Daughter wrote: "I finally saw it, and I have to say, I. Am. Shocked. And I saw it two days ago!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Awesomeness!!! What did you think? :)

message 40: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments Kirsty ~ Admirer of David Tennant wrote: "Exactly! Saturday!! Two Days!!!!"

Are you sure its this Saturday, the 9th? I looked on my TV guide thing and it said Doctor Who wouldn't be on!! :( But it was on last time!

message 41: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments Isabelle wrote: "This past week I just keep on going

"Do you know what would be cool. Dinosaurs... on a spaceship. The past and the future connected. Is that not cool !"

Although people get annoyed that I keep o..."

Haha! You can say it around me, because I'm still not over it. The little kid in me is just plain giddy! :D

message 42: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments Janeen-san wrote:!"

Are you sure its this Saturday, the 9th? I looked on my TV guide thing and it said Doctor Who wouldn't be on!! :( But it..."

I looked at the BBC America website, and it says Saturday. I hope you'll get to see it, and your TV hasn't made a mistake. :O

Saturday is the 8th not 9th, but we know what you meant. :)

Rosa Harkness ~ Queen of Wibbly-Wobbly (AnnaToTheMax) | 1433 comments Janeen-san wrote: "Rosa Harkness, Jack's Epic Daughter wrote: "I finally saw it, and I have to say, I. Am. Shocked. And I saw it two days ago!! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!"

Awesomeness!!! What did you think? :)"

I loved it!! It was so cool, and I really loved Oswin. You know what's weird? I used to think of Daleks as being all male. Not anymore!!

Rosa Harkness, Jack's Epic Daughter wrote: "...I loved it!! It was so cool, and I really loved Oswin. You know what's weird? I used to think of Daleks as being all male. Not anymore!! "

I've never really thought of the Daleks of having a specific sex (asexual I guess). Partly because they are genetically mutated and "programed" to operate their personal exoskeletal "tanks". Yeah well usually I guess I did think of them as male since most of the Kaled mutants used were male. [See "Genesis of The Daleks"]

message 46: by Janeen-san (new)

Janeen-san  (MissWannaReadALot) | 1507 comments Eris ~ I am Nemo wrote: "I looked at the BBC America website, and it says Saturday. I hope you'll get to see it, and your TV hasn't made a mistake. :O
"

It might just be a glitch. I really hope so! One time the guide said that SpongeBob was on, but it was really something else.

message 47: by Laszlo (new)

Laszlo (Steampunk) | 774 comments What?

Rosa Harkness ~ Queen of Wibbly-Wobbly (AnnaToTheMax) | 1433 comments My TV does it all the time.

ϻαđίѕσи ~ I'm gonna be free, and I'm gonna be fine, but maybe not tonight I HATE THAT! sorry guys i haven't been on in a while. i've been busy :( but yes LOVE Oswin!

message 50: by Eris Vianney (new)

Eris Vianney (SeeYouSpaceCowboy) | 1188 comments Hi Madison! *waves*

Okay, who's psyched for Dinosaurs on a Spaceship tonight? I'll be stalking YouTube in anticipation. Hopefully some kind soul will upload it.

« previous 1 3 4

unread topics | mark unread