2017 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Quarterly Challenges > 4th Quarter Holiday Music Challenge

Comments (showing 1-50 of 64) (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Ashley (new)

Ashley 4th Quarter Holiday Music Challenge
Duration: October 1 – December 31

*Our 4th 2012 quarter challenge will end with music and celebrations. October is “scary”…November is “Thankful”…December is “Christmas”!! There will be 30 choices in this challenge, and that may seem a little daunting. No worries!! You choose how many songs you want to do in three months. So, here we go!!!

October Songs:

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book with a Green cover OR has a witch as a character.
2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: Read a book with a Red cover OR has a character running from something.
3. Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell: Read a book with an Orange cover OR has a character who is being stalked.
4. Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: Read a book with a Purple cover OR a book who has a character who is murdered.
5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Read a book with a Blue cover OR a book who has a character with mental problems.
6. Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Read a book with a Black cover OR a book that takes place in “hot” weather.
7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Read a book with a Brown cover OR has werewolves as characters.
8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Read a book with a White cover OR a book with ghosts in it.
9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Read a book with a Pink cover OR a book with a “Frankenstein” personality. (Or read the book Frankenstein)
10. Thriller by Michael Jackson: Read a book with a Gray cover OR a book about zombies.

November Songs:

1. Thanksgiving Song by Mary Chapin Carpenter: Read a book about family gathering together.
2. Kind and Generous by Natalie Merchant: Read a book about people giving generously to others.
3. What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong: Read a feel good book published in the country you live in.
4. Be Thankful by Natalie Cole: Read a book about something you are thankful for. If not obvious from the title, let us know what it is.
5. Thank You for the Music by ABBA: Read a book with music in it OR a book with a celebration.
6. Thanks for My Child by Cheryl Pepsii Riley: Read a book about a single mother taking care of her children.
7. The Thanksgiving Song by Adam Sandler: Read a book that makes you laugh OR has a turkey on the cover.
8. Thank you by Dido: Read a book where the characters are going through trials but still stay close in their relationships.
9. Thankful by Kelly Clarkson: Read a romance book OR a book about soul mates.
10. We are Family by Sister Sledge: Read a book about sisters OR a book with dancing in it.

December Songs:

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book with snow on the cover OR a book with 1,9, or 4 in the page numbers.
2. Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry: Read a book with a deer on the cover OR a book with 9 and 5 in the page numbers.
3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by Jimmy Boyd: Read a book where something unexpected happens OR a book with 5 or 2 in the page numbers.
4. Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms: Read a book with a bell on the cover OR a book with 5 and 7 in the page numbers.
5. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee: Read a book with a Christmas Tree on the cover OR a book with a 5 or 8 in the page numbers.
6. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley: Read a book that is sad OR a book with 6 and 4 in its page numbers.
7. Silver Bells by Johnny Mathis: Read a book where Silver or Bells is in the title OR a book with 5 or 0 in its page numbers.
8. Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe: Read a book about Santa Claus OR a book with 5 and 3 in the page numbers.
9. Carol of the Bells by Peter J Wilhousky & Mykola Leontovich: Read a book with a character named Carol OR a book with 9, 1, 6 in the page numbers.
10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book where someone finds their way home OR a book with 4 and 3 in the page numbers.

Categories
- You can choose to read: 10 scary books, 10 feel good books, 10 Christmas books
- OR You can choose to read: Books for each song under each month
- **You DO NOT have to complete all 30** Pick and choose if you wish. Just let the leader of the challenge know your goal to put on the participant list.
- Have fun with this challenge!

HAPPY 4TH QUARTER and END OF 2012!! :)

message 2: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments Ok. Can I just say best challenge EVER. I get ridiculously excited about Christmas Songs. I have to think just how involved I will get for this, but seriously kudos.

message 3: by Diana S (last edited Nov 02, 2012 04:49PM) (new)

Diana S | 51 comments Holiday Music 4th Quarter Challenge
Duration: 10/1/12 - 12/31/12
Books Read: 7/20
Updated: 10/28/12

Let's the Holiday Season Begin . . .

October Songs (7/10 Books)
* Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon
Annette Curtis Klause's Blood and Chocolate (10/4/12) Werewolves
* Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers
Mary Janice Davidson's Undead and Uneasy (10/5/12) pink cover
* Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult
Joyce Carol Oates' Freaky Green Eyes (10/7/12) 2 murdered characters, maybe 3
* Witchy Woman by The Eagles
Peter R. Pouncey's Rules for Old Men Waiting (10/12/12) green cover
Ghostbusters by Ray Parker, Jr
Toni Morrison's Beloved (10/24/12) ghosts
* Highway to Hell by AC/DC
Jack Kerouac's On the Road (10/28/12) black cover
* Thriller by Michael Jackson
A. Lee Martinez's Gil's All Fright Diner (10/31/12) zombies, even zombie cows

Blood and Chocolate by Annette Curtis Klause Undead and Uneasy (Undead, #6) by MaryJanice Davidson Freaky Green Eyes by Joyce Carol Oates Rules for Old Men Waiting A Novel by Peter R. Pouncey Beloved by Toni Morrison On the Road  by Jack Kerouac Gil's All Fright Diner by A. Lee Martinez

November Songs (0/5 Books)

December Songs (0/5 Books)

message 4: by JenniferJ (last edited Dec 13, 2012 05:07PM) (new)

JenniferJ Spot Holder. This sounds really fun. I am going to try all 30. Will be back soon and try to get my lists ready. :)

Holiday Music 4th Quarter Challenge
Duration: 10/1/12 - 12/31/12

October (10/10 Books)
November (9/10 Books)
December (3/10 Books)

Grand Total Read: 22/30

October Songs:

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book with a Green cover OR has a witch as a character. The Eleventh Plague by Jeff Hirsch (11/17/12)*****
2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: Read a book with a Red cover Wicked Appetite by Janet Evanovich (10/10/12)***
3. Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell: Read a book with an Orange cover Chopping Spree by Diane Mott Davidson (10/17/12)**
4. Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: Read a book with a Purple cover The Prophet by Amanda Stevens (10/15/12)*****
5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Read a book with a Blue cover OR a book who has a character with mental problems. Darkfever by Karen Marie Moning (10/24/12)***
6. Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Read a book with a Black cover Marked by P.C. Cast (10/06/12)**
7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Read a book with a Brown cover OR has werewolves as characters. Kept by Shawntelle Madison (11/22/12)****
8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Read a book with a White cover Devilishly Hot by Kathy Love (10/22/12)***
9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Read a book with a Pink cover OR a book with a “Frankenstein” personality. (Or read the book Frankenstein) Dark Roots and Cowboy Boots by Luann McLane (10/4/12)****
10. Thriller by Michael Jackson: Read a book with a Gray cover OR a book about zombies Flirt by Laurell K. Hamilton (11/9/12)***

November Songs:

1. Thanksgiving Song by Mary Chapin Carpenter: Read a book about family gathering together. Speed Dating with the Dead by Scott Nicholson (12/11/12)**
2. Kind and Generous by Natalie Merchant: Read a book about people giving generously to others.Generosity of Strangers: When War Came to Fornelli by Thomas E. Antonaccio (10/16/12)***
3. What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong: Read a feel good book published in the country you live in. A Trace of Moonlight by Allison Pang (11/7/12)****
4. Be Thankful by Natalie Cole: Read a book about something you are thankful for If not obvious from the title, let us know what it is. Hunk for the Holidays by Katie Lane (12/3/12)***** This one makes me so thankful for my wonderful husband. I am blessed to have such a kind and loving one.
5. Thank You for the Music by ABBA: Read a book with music in it OR a book with a celebration.
6. Thanks for My Child by Cheryl Pepsii Riley: Read a book about a single mother taking care of her children UnEnchanted by Chanda Hahn (10/4/12)***
7. The Thanksgiving Song by Adam Sandler: Read a book that makes you laugh OR has a turkey on the cover. Nice Girls Don't Date Dead Men by Molly Harper (10/30/12)***
8. Thank you by Dido: Read a book where the characters are going through trials but still stay close in their relationships The Trouble with Cowboys by Denise Hunter (10/08/12)***
9. Thankful by Kelly Clarkson: Read a romance book OR a book about soul mates. Unbreak My Heart by Helen Scott Taylor (12/5/12)**
10. We are Family by Sister Sledge: Read a book about sisters OR a book with dancing in it. A Chalice of Wind by Cate Tiernan (11/22/12)***

December Songs:

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book with snow on the cover OR a book with 1,9, or 4 in the page numbers.
2. Rudolph, the Red Nosed Reindeer by Gene Autry: Read a book with a deer on the cover OR a book with 9 and 5 in the page numbers.
3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by Jimmy Boyd: Read a book where something unexpected happens OR a book with 5 or 2 in the page numbers.
4. Jingle Bell Rock by Bobby Helms: Read a book with a bell on the cover OR a book with 5 and 7 in the page numbers.
5. Rockin’ Around the Christmas Tree by Brenda Lee: Read a book with a Christmas Tree on the cover OR a book with a 5 or 8 in the page numbers.
6. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley: Read a book that is sad OR a book with 6 and 4 in its page numbers. In My Dreams by Cameo Renae (10/31/12)***
7. Silver Bells by Johnny Mathis: Read a book where Silver or Bells is in the title OR a book with 5 or 0 in its page numbers.
8. Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe: Read a book about Santa Claus OR a book with 5 and 3 in the page numbers.
9. Carol of the Bells by Peter J Wilhousky & Mykola Leontovich: Read a book with a character named Carol OR a book with 9, 1, 6 in the page numbers. Rally 'Round Green by Judy Christie (10/16/12)*** (Has 6 in page numbers)
10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book where someone finds their way home OR a book with 4 and 3 in the page numbers.When We Touch by Brenda Novak (10/25/12)****

message 5: by Gina (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:37PM) (new)

Gina Gina's 4th Quarter CRC Holiday Music Challenge
Duration 10/1-12/31
29/30 COMPLETE

October Songs: COMPLETE

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book with a Green cover.

Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne FlukeApple Turnover Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13) by Joanne Fluke- FINISHED 12/1/12

2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: Read a book that has a character running from something.

Seed by Ania Ahlborn by Ania Ahlborn- FINIShed 10/31/12

3. Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell: Read a book that has a character who is being stalked.

Charley's Web by Joy Fielding- FINISHED 10/24/12

4. Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: Read a book who has a character who is murdered.

Defending Jacob by William Landay- FINISHED 10/17/12

5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Read a book with a Blue cover.

The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg- FINISHED 10/27/12

6. >Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Read a book with a Black cover OR a book that takes place in “hot” weather.

The Family Bones by Kimberly Raiser The Family Bones by Kimberly Raiser- FINISHED 10/28/12

7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Read a book that has werewolves as characters.

Immortal Temptress by Aileen Fish- FINISHED 11/5/12

8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Read a book with a White cover.

Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude by Robert Baer Sleeping with the Devil How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude by Robert Baer- FINISHED 11/13/12

9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Read a book with a Pink cover.

One Pink Line by Dina Silver One Pink Line by Dina Silver- FINISHED 11/24/12

10. Thriller by Michael Jackson: Read a book with a Gray cover.

Viking Panzers: The German 5th SS Tank Regiment in the East in World War II by Ewald Klapdor Viking Panzers The German 5th SS Tank Regiment in the East in World War II by Ewald Klapdor- FINISHED 11/21/12

November Songs: COMPLETE

1. Thanksgiving Song by Mary Chapin Carpenter: Read a book about family gathering together.

The Survivors by Amanda Havard- FINISHED 12/21/12

2. Kind and Generous by Natalie Merchant: Read a book about people giving generously to others.

Second Chance Grill by Christine Nolfi- FINISHED 11/20/12

3. What a Wonderful World by Louis Armstrong: Read a feel good book published in the country you live in.

Ghost a la Mode by Sue Ann Jaffarian- FINISHED 12/7/12

4. Be Thankful by Natalie Cole: Read a book about something you are thankful for. If not obvious from the title, let us know what it is.

The Other Woman's House by Sophie Hannah- FINISHED 11/26/12 Thankful that my family gets along well unlike the family in this book.

The Autobiography of Santa ClausJeff Guinn- FINISHED 12/19/12

6. Thanks for My Child by Cheryl Pepsii Riley: Read a book about a single mother taking care of her children.

Faith by Jennifer Haigh- FINISHED 11/23/12

7. The Thanksgiving Song by Adam Sandler: Read a book that makes you laugh.

Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston- FINISHED 11/7/12

8. Thank you by Dido: Read a book where the characters are going through trials but still stay close in their relationships.

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok- FINISHED 11/5/12

Drawing Free - Elena Aitken- FINISHED 11/13/12

10. We are Family by Sister Sledge: Read a book about sisters OR a book with dancing in it.

The Reluctant Matchmaker by Shobhan Bantwal- FINISHED 12/9/12

December Songs:

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book with 1,9, or 4 in the page numbers.

More Like Her by Liza Palmer- FINISHED 11/15/12 309 Pages

3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by Jimmy Boyd: Read a book where something unexpected happens

Freud's Revenge by PJ Adams- FINISHED 10/27/12

When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald- FINISHED 12/25/12

Love Me to Death by Allison Brennan- FINISHED 11/4/12 481 pages in my book

6. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley: Read a book that is sad.

Indian Moon by Carolyn McCray- FINISHED 11/20/12

7. Silver Bells by Johnny Mathis: Read a book with 5 or 0 in its page numbers.

Ish - Getting the 'Ish Out in the Open by Regina Griffin- FINISHED 11/16/12 160 Pages

8. Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe: Read a book about Santa Claus.

The Santa Shop by Tim Greaton- FINISHED 12/7/12

9. Carol of the Bells by Peter J Wilhousky & Mykola Leontovich: Read a book with a character named Carol.

Kill Switch by Neal Baer- FINISHED 11/25/12

10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book where someone finds their way home

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake- FINISHED 10/13/12

message 6: by Ashley (new)

Ashley We are needing a leader for this challenge! If you'd like to cheer our other readers on and help keep up with their progress, let me know! :)

message 7: by Kattibrie (new)

Kattibrie | 96 comments Sign me up!

Lists to follow, but lets say, That I'll read 5 songs for every month.

4th Quarter Holiday Music Challenge

October: 0/5
November: 0/5
December: 0/5

message 8: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 816 comments Would we be able to read books that fit the December songs in October or do we have to stick to the month we're in?

message 9: by Sharon (last edited Nov 26, 2012 03:42PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Welcome everyone ... I love holiday music!
**Last Update 11/26/12
Participants so far:

Kelsi
October (4/10 Books)
November (4/10 Books)
December (2/10 Books)

Diana
October (6/10 Books)
November (0/5 Books)
December (0/5 Books)

Jennifer
October (5/10 Books)
November (2/10 Books)
December (0/10 Books)

Gina
October (6/10 Books)
November (0/10 Books)
December (5/10 Books)

Kattibrie
October (0/5 Books)
November (0/5 Books)
December (0/5 Books)

Sharon
October (7/7 Books)
November (5/7 Books)
December (0/7 Books)

Ana
(0/9 books)

Lilac
(12/18 Books)

Melanie
October (10/10 Books)
November (6/10 Books)
December (8/10 Books)

Chelsea
October (2/3 Books)
November (1/3 Books)
December (0/3 Books)

Lindy
October (10/10 Books)
November (10/10 Books)*increased to 10 instead of 5!
December (0/5 Books)

Teresa
(0/10 Books)

Erika
October (2/10 Books)
November (1/5 Books)
December (0/5 Books)

message 10: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments Jeez just put me in for 30! Are we allowed to carry over months since it is a quarterly challenge?

message 11: by Ashley (new)

Ashley You can read books for any of the months during the challenge. So, you can start in October with December if you wish. :)

message 12: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Lilac wrote: "Would we be able to read books that fit the December songs in October or do we have to stick to the month we're in?"

You can start with December or November in October if you wish. :)

message 13: by Ashley (new)

Ashley Thank you Sharon for being the leader for this challenge! :)

message 14: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Ana wrote: "i am in but my goal is 9 books

4th Quarter Holiday Music Challenge
October Songs:

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book with a Green cover OR has a witch a..."

Welcome! 9 books total or 9 books a month?

message 15: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 816 comments I'm in. I'm going to focus on the yearly challenges for the rest of the year but I think I can manage 8 in total. :)

message 16: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Lilac wrote: "I'm in. I'm going to focus on the yearly challenges for the rest of the year but I think I can manage 8 in total. :)"

Ok, I've got you on the list! You never know when books you read for one challenge will also count towards another.

message 17: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 816 comments Good point, I might change my goal if my schoolwork doesn't get too heavy and I'm not too busy over the next month or so :)

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) | 342 comments I'm in! Let's see if I can get all 30 :)

message 19: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Welcome to the challenge Melanie!

message 20: by Chelsea (last edited Jan 01, 2013 09:17AM) (new)

Chelsea (Cnicole322) | 87 comments I'm going to do three for each month. Pretty excited! :)

Completed 9/9

~~~~October Songs:~~~~~

5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Read a book with a Blue cover OR a book who has a character with mental problems.

Dracula by Bram Stoker-The character Renfield is a mental patient. Completed 10/9 **

6. Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Read a book with a Black cover OR a book that takes place in “hot” weather.

The Sound and the Fury by William Faulkner- Hot weather, takes place in a fictional county in Mississippi Completed 11/23 ***

10. Thriller by Michael Jackson: Read a book with a Gray cover OR a book about zombies.

The Haunting of Hill House by Shirley Jackson-I swear my version is gray, the cover looks green on here for some reason, though! Either way, it's a very halloween-y book :) Completed 10/8 ****

~~~~November Songs:~~~~

Mercury: An Intimate Biography of Freddie Mercury by Lesley-Ann Jones Completed 11/24 ****

7. The Thanksgiving Song by Adam Sandler: Read a book that makes you laugh OR has a turkey on the cover.
The Guinea Pig Diaries: My Life as an Experiment by A.J. Jacobs- Author that makes me laugh. Completed 10/19 *****

Sense and Sensibility by Jane Austen Book about sisters Elinor and Marianne Dashwood. Completed 12/16 ***

~~~~December Songs~~~~

Insurgent by Veronica Roth Completed 12/10/2012 ***

6. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley: Read a book that is sad OR a book with 6 and 4 in its page numbers.

Speaks the Nightbird by Robert R. McCammon Completed 12/30/2012 **

The Bell Jar by Sylvia Plath Completed 12/31/12 ****

COMPLETED!

message 21: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 816 comments I've changed my mind, I think I'll do 12 total.

message 22: by Kelsi (last edited Nov 16, 2012 06:36AM) (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments Kelsi's Holiday Music Challenge
Goal: 30 books

October Songs:

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book with a Green cover OR has a witch as a character.

2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: Read a book with a Red cover OR has a character running from something.
*****The Passage

3. Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell: Read a book with an Orange cover OR has a character who is being stalked.
**Priceless: My Journey Through a Life of Vice.
4. Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: Read a book with a Purple cover OR a book who has a character who is murdered.
*****And Then There Were None
*****A Storm of Swords. Lysa shows signs of a disorder.

7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Read a book with a Brown cover OR has werewolves as characters.
8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Read a book with a White cover OR a book with ghosts in it.
9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Read a book with a Pink cover OR a book with a “Frankenstein” personality. (Or read the book Frankenstein)
***Frankenstein

November Songs:

*****East of Eden by John Steinbeck

The Silver Chair. Narnians always seem to be dancing and celebrating :) ***

****Anna Karenina. Technically Anna is single, raising Annie..

*****The Book Thief

December Songs:

***The Lies of Locke Lamora

***A Vindication of the Rights of Womanby Mary Wollstonecraft. 328 pages

9. Carol of the Bells by Peter J Wilhousky & Mykola Leontovich: Read a book with a character named Carol OR a book with 9, 1, 6 in the page numbers.
10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book where someone finds their way home OR a book with 4 and 3 in the page numbers.

Completed: 10/30
October: 5/10
November: 4/10
December: 2/10

message 23: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 126 comments I would like to do this one, but it is my 24th challenge for the month and i sure hope I can do it.

October (0/5 Books)
November (0/5 Books)
December (0/5 Books)

si U wukk di ut east

message 24: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Welcome to the challenge Chelsea and Lindy! I have updated the standings. Have fun reading everyone. Don't forget to post your updates which helps inspire others in what to read!

message 25: by ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (last edited Dec 03, 2012 06:12AM) (new)

ilovebakedgoods (Teresa) (ilovebakedgoods) I'm in. I have set a goal of 10 books to read for the entire challenge. I don't know which particular month or songs I'm going to focus on. Won't know that until I find books to choose. I've made October my own personal "scary book" month and going by the songs listed here for November, I may designate that month as a "thankful/cozy/family/romance" month. Will add books later!

ETA: I kind of forgot to keep track of this challenge but what I will do is just look at the books I have read for the duration of this challenge and see if they fit any of the themes. October/scary month did not go as I'd planned because the library was out of all my choices when I tried to check them out! And then I got involved in wrapping up a series I've been reading. Will try to update this thread soon with books I've completed.

message 26: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Welcome Teresa sounds like you will have a "scary" month!

message 27: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) | 342 comments I have a plan for this month, finally:

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Mira, Mirror by Mette Ivie Harrison
2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: The Borrower by Rebecca Makkai
3. Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell: Princess Charming by Elizabeth Thornton
4. Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: The Lovely Bones by Alice Sebold
5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Turn of the Mind by Alice LaPlante
6. Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Who fears death by Nnedi Okorafor
7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Jane Slayre by Charlotte Bronte and Sherri Browning Erwin
8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Blackbeard's Ghost by Ben Stahl
9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Babylon Babies by Marice G. Dantec
10. Thriller by Michael Jackson: Dreadfully ever after by Steve Hockensmith

December song:
8. Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe: Claus: Legend of the Fat Man by Tony Bertauski

message 28: by Erika (new)

Erika  (ReadingButterfly) | 402 comments I am going to jump in on this one. This is my favorite season!!

My goal:
October songs 10
November songs 5
December songs 5

message 29: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments updated post 23.

2/30 completed :)

message 30: by Diana S (new)

Diana S | 51 comments Updated: Post# 3 - October 3/10 books

message 31: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments updated post 23. 3/30 complete, one for each month :)

message 32: by Erika (last edited Nov 23, 2012 08:36AM) (new)

Erika  (ReadingButterfly) | 402 comments October Songs 6/10
1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble
2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: Main character running from her past- The Seaside Letters by D. Hunter
4.Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: Character murdered Mystic City
6. Highway to Hell by AC/DC-The Rift Walker
7.Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon:The Rise of Nine by P. Lore
10. Thriller by Michael Jackson-The Greyfriar

The Rise of Nine (Lorien Legacies, #3) by Pittacus Lore The Seaside Letters (Nantucket, #3) by Denise Hunter The Greyfriar (Vampire Empire, #1) by Clay Griffith The Rift Walker (Vampire Empire, #2) by Clay Griffith Mystic City (Mystic City, #1) by Theo Lawrence Fire Burn and Cauldron Bubble (Jolie Wilkins, #1) by H.P. Mallory

November Songs 4/5

1. Thanksgiving Song by Mary Chapin Carpenter-Family gatehringThe Marriage Bargain
2. Kind and Generous by Natalie Merchant: Halflings
4. Be Thankful by Natalie Cole-I am thankful Guardian Angels Immortal City by Scott Speer
10. We are Family by Sister Sledge: Almost Perfect

Immortal City (Immortal City, #1) by Scott Speer The Marriage Bargain (Marriage to a Billionaire, #1) by Jennifer Probst Almost Perfect (Fool’s Gold #2) by Susan Mallery[bookcovers:Halflings|11836518]

December Songs 3/5
1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby-The Naughty List
3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by Jimmy Boyd: Shadowfell Unexpected: Father gives away daughter in card game
8. Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe:Hidden

The Naughty List by Donna Kauffman Shadowfell (Shadowfell, #1) by Juliet Marillier Hidden (Firelight, #3) by Sophie Jordan

message 33: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) | 342 comments October Songs: 1/10
8. Blackbeard's Ghost by Ben Stahl

November songs: 0/10

December Songs: 1/10
8. Claus: Legend of the Fat Man by Tony Bertauski Claus Legend of the Fat Man by Tony Bertauski

message 34: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments updated Post 23

Completed 6/30

October: 3/10

message 35: by JenniferJ (last edited Oct 24, 2012 12:45AM) (new)

JenniferJ Post 4 Updated

October 5/10
November 2/10
December 0/10

message 36: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments Updated post 23, with Anna Karenina  by Leo Tolstoy

Completed 6/30

November 3/10

message 37: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Updated the standings/progress so far ... good job everyone! Keep on reading.

message 38: by Kelsi (new)

Kelsi | 747 comments October #3: A character who is being stalked.

Priceless My Journey Through a Life of Vice by Charlie Daniels

Completed 8/30

October 4/10

message 39: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 126 comments If you want to see the covers you have to teach me how to do it:

October Songs: COVERS
1. Green Eva Ibbotson Not Just a Witch
2. Red Bush, Nancy Candy Apple Red
3. Orange Cushman, Doub Aunt Eatr's Mystery
4. Purple Castillo, Linda Whispers in the Dark
5. Blue Brown, Sandra A Whole New Light
6. Black Snyder, Zilpha,Keatley The Witches of Worm
7. Brown Ryan, Pam Munoz Riding Freedom
8. White Naylor, Phyllis Reynolds The Girls Get Even
9. Pink Snyder, Zilpha Keatley The Headless Cupid
10. Gray Straub, Wendy Corsi Hell to Pay

message 40: by Sharon (last edited Nov 01, 2012 12:30PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Lindy wrote: "If you want to see the covers you have to teach me how to do it:

It's up to you whether or not you want to add covers. To add covers you click on the add book/author right above the comment box, make sure you click on cover at the bottom of the box, then enter the title of the book in the search and pick add

Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

if you don't click on cover option you will get the link

Frankenstein

Add a reference:
book author

Search for: frankenstein
Frankenstein
Frankenstein
by Mary Shelley
add
other editions

← Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 … 154 155 Next →
add: link cover

message 41: by Sharon (last edited Jan 03, 2013 03:52PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments 4th Quarter Holiday Music Challenge

Since I'm the challenge leader I thought I better post my books ...

October Songs:

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book that has a witch as a character.
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon
4. Don’t Fear the Reaper by Blue Oyster Cult: Read a book who has a character who is murdered.
Four Blind Mice (Alex Cross, #8) by James Patterson
5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Read a book who has a character with mental problems.
Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1) by Betsy Brannon Green
6. Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Read a book with a Black cover
Defiance (Defiance, #1) by C.J. Redwine
7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Read a book with werewolves as characters.
Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Read a book with with ghosts in it.
First Grave on the Right (Charley Davidson, #1) by Darynda Jones
9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Read a book with a “Frankenstein” personality. (Or read the book Frankenstein)
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley

November Songs:

Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2) by Betsy Brannon Green
The Witness by Nora Roberts
Never Say Never (Daily, Texas #3) by Lisa Wingate
4. Be Thankful by Natalie Cole: Read a book about something you are thankful for. If not obvious from the title, let us know what it is. **this book just helps you look at all the different things/blessings in your life to be thankful for and to thank those around you
365 Thank Yous The Year a Simple Act of Daily Gratitude Changed My Life by John Kralik
The Big Bad Wolf (Alex Cross #9) by James Patterson
9. Thankful by Kelly Clarkson: Read a romance book
Just the Way You Are (Lost Texas Heart, #1) by Christina Dodd
10. We are Family by Sister Sledge: Read a book with dancing in it.
Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg
December Songs:
You can choose to read: (7) Christmas books
The Fat Man A Tale of North Pole Noir by Ken Harmon Silver Bells by Fern Michaels The Christmas Train by David Baldacci The Christmas Wedding by James Patterson First Impressions by Nora Roberts I'll Be Home For Christmas by Fern Michaels Christmas at Harrington's by Melody Carlson Candy Cane Murder (Hannah Swensen, #9.5) by Joanne Fluke

message 42: by Gina (last edited Dec 25, 2012 06:40PM) (new)

Gina Gina's 4th Quarter CRC Holiday Music Challenge
Duration 10/1-12/31
29/30 COMPLETE

October Songs: COMPLETE

1. Witchy Woman by The Eagles: Read a book with a Green cover.

Apple Turnover Murder by Joanne FlukeApple Turnover Murder (Hannah Swensen, #13) by Joanne Fluke- FINISHED 12/1/12

2. Runnin’ with the Devil by Van Halen: Read a book that has a character running from something.

Seed by Ania Ahlborn by Ania Ahlborn- FINIShed 10/31/12

3. Somebody’s Watching Me by Rockwell: Read a book that has a character who is being stalked.

Charley's Web by Joy Fielding- FINISHED 10/24/12

Defending Jacob by William Landay- FINISHED 10/17/12

5. A Nightmare on My Street by DJ Jazzy Jeff & the Fresh Prince: Read a book with a Blue cover.

The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg The Last Time I Saw You by Elizabeth Berg- FINISHED 10/27/12

6. >Highway to Hell by AC/DC: Read a book with a Black cover OR a book that takes place in “hot” weather.

The Family Bones by Kimberly Raiser The Family Bones by Kimberly Raiser- FINISHED 10/28/12

7. Werewolves of London by Warren Zevon: Read a book that has werewolves as characters.

Immortal Temptress by Aileen Fish- FINISHED 11/5/12

8. Ghostbusters by Ray Parker Jr.: Read a book with a White cover.

Sleeping with the Devil: How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude by Robert Baer Sleeping with the Devil How Washington Sold Our Soul for Saudi Crude by Robert Baer- FINISHED 11/13/12

9. Monster Mash by Bobby “Boris” Pickett & the Crypt-Kickers: Read a book with a Pink cover.

One Pink Line by Dina Silver One Pink Line by Dina Silver- FINISHED 11/24/12

10. Thriller by Michael Jackson: Read a book with a Gray cover.

Viking Panzers: The German 5th SS Tank Regiment in the East in World War II by Ewald Klapdor Viking Panzers The German 5th SS Tank Regiment in the East in World War II by Ewald Klapdor- FINISHED 11/21/12

November Songs: COMPLETE

The Survivors by Amanda Havard- FINISHED 12/21/12

Second Chance Grill by Christine Nolfi- FINISHED 11/20/12

Ghost a la Mode by Sue Ann Jaffarian- FINISHED 12/7/12

The Other Woman's House by Sophie Hannah- FINISHED 11/26/12 Thankful that my family gets along well unlike the family in this book.

The Autobiography of Santa ClausJeff Guinn- FINISHED 12/19/12

Faith by Jennifer Haigh- FINISHED 11/23/12

7. The Thanksgiving Song by Adam Sandler: Read a book that makes you laugh.

Zorgamazoo by Robert Paul Weston- FINISHED 11/7/12

Girl in Translation by Jean Kwok- FINISHED 11/5/12

Drawing Free - Elena Aitken- FINISHED 11/13/12

The Reluctant Matchmaker by Shobhan Bantwal- FINISHED 12/9/12

December Songs:

1. White Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book with 1,9, or 4 in the page numbers.

More Like Her by Liza Palmer- FINISHED 11/15/12 309 Pages

3. I Saw Mommy Kissing Santa Claus by Jimmy Boyd: Read a book where something unexpected happens

Freud's Revenge by PJ Adams- FINISHED 10/27/12

When it Happens to You by Molly Ringwald- FINISHED 12/25/12

Love Me to Death by Allison Brennan- FINISHED 11/4/12 481 pages in my book

6. Blue Christmas by Elvis Presley: Read a book that is sad.

Indian Moon by Carolyn McCray- FINISHED 11/20/12

7. Silver Bells by Johnny Mathis: Read a book with 5 or 0 in its page numbers.

Ish - Getting the 'Ish Out in the Open by Regina Griffin- FINISHED 11/16/12 160 Pages

8. Santa Baby by Marilyn Monroe: Read a book about Santa Claus.

The Santa Shop by Tim Greaton- FINISHED 12/7/12

9. Carol of the Bells by Peter J Wilhousky & Mykola Leontovich: Read a book with a character named Carol.

Kill Switch by Neal Baer- FINISHED 11/25/12

10. I’ll Be Home for Christmas by Bing Crosby: Read a book where someone finds their way home

The Postmistress by Sarah Blake- FINISHED 10/13/12

message 43: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  | 816 comments I've finished 12 so I'm changing my goal to 18 :)
I'll post the books when I've finished the challenge.

message 44: by Melanie (last edited Dec 31, 2012 12:48PM) (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) | 342 comments 30/30 completed

October Songs: 10/10
1. Mira, Mirror by 2. Castle Waiting by Linda Medley (vol. 1-2)
3. Foundation by Isaac Asimov
4. Batman: whatever happened to the caped crusader? by Neil Gaiman
5. A Civil Campaign by Lois McMaster Bujold
6. How to drive a dragon crazy by G.A. Aiken
7. Pack Challenge by Shelly Laurenston
8. Blackbeard's Ghost by Ben Stahl
9. Dearly, Departed by Lia Habel
10. Alice in Zombieland by Gena Showalter

November songs: 10/10
1. Saga (volume 1) by Brian K. Vaughan
2. Divergent/Insurgent by Veronica Roth
3. The Alchemist by Paolo Coelho
4. The Carpenter's Inheritance by Laurie Alice Eakes
5. War for the oaks by Emma Bull
6. Obsidian by Jennifer Armentrout
7. Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi
8. The Serpent's Shadow by Rick Riordan
9. Defeat the Darkness by Alexis Morgan
10. Boy meets boy by David Levithan

December Songs: 10/10
1. Once upon a winter's night by Dennis L. McKiernan
2. Soul Seducer by Alicia Dean
3. Bossypants by Tina Fey
4. Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children by Ransom Riggs
5. Brody's Ghost volume 1 by Mark Crilley
6. Clover by CLAMP
7. Daring Greatly by Brene Brown
8. Claus: Legend of the Fat Man by Tony Bertauski
9. The Boggart by Susan Cooper
10. Five by Christie Rich

October Covers:
Mira, Mirror by Mette Ivie Harrison Castle Waiting, Vol. 1 by Linda Medley Foundation (Foundation, #1) by Isaac Asimov Batman Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader? by Neil Gaiman A Civil Campaign (Vorkosigan Saga, #12) by Lois McMaster Bujold How to Drive a Dragon Crazy (The Dragon Kin, #6) by G.A. Aiken Pack Challenge (Magnus Pack, #1) by Shelly Laurenston Dearly, Departed (Gone With the Respiration, #1) by Lia Habel Alice in Zombieland (The White Rabbit Chronicles, #1) by Gena Showalter

November Covers:
Saga, Volume 1 by Brian K. Vaughan The Divergent Series 2-Book Collection (Divergent, #1-2) by Veronica Roth The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho The Carpenter's Inheritance by Laurie Alice Eakes War for the Oaks by Emma Bull Obsidian (Lux, #1) by Jennifer L. Armentrout Fuzzy Nation by John Scalzi The Serpent's Shadow (Kane Chronicles, #3) by Rick Riordan Defeat the Darkness (Paladins of Darkness, #6) by Alexis Morgan Boy Meets Boy by David Levithan

December Covers:
Once Upon a Winter's Night (Faery Series, #1) by Dennis L. McKiernan Soul Seducer by Alicia Dean Bossypants by Tina Fey Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine, #1) by Ransom Riggs Brody's Ghost, Volume 1 by Mark Crilley Clover (Omnibus Edition) by CLAMP Daring Greatly How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brené Brown Claus Legend of the Fat Man by Tony Bertauski The Boggart by Susan Cooper Five (Elemental Enmity, #1) by Christie Rich

message 45: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 126 comments Here are my 10 for November:

1. Thanksgiving Song: Kingsbury, Karen A Time to Dance
2. Kind and Generous: Kingsbury, Karen The Bridge
3. Wonderful World: Gerritsen, Tess Whistleblower
4. Thankful: Hoag, Tami Night Sins
5. Celebration: Child, Lydia Maria Over the River and Thru the Woods
6. Single Mom: Steel, Danielle Friends Forever
7. Turkey Greenwood, Barbara A Pioneer thanksgiving
8. Trails" Snyder, Zilpha, Keatley The Witches of Worm
9. Thankful: Patterson, James 6th Target
10. We are Family: Patterson, James The Christmas Wedding

message 46: by Sharon (last edited Dec 26, 2012 12:25PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments Ok, moving the tracking updates here so you don't have to scroll up ... let me know if I've missed anyone.

Welcome everyone ... I love holiday music!
**Last Update 12/26/12
Participants so far:

Kelsi
October (5/10 Books)
November (4/10 Books)
December (2/10 Books)

Diana
October (6/10 Books)
November (0/5 Books)
December (0/5 Books)

Jennifer
October (10/10 Books)
November (9/10 Books)
December (3/10 Books)

Gina
October (10/10 Books)
November (8/10 Books)
December (8/10 Books)

Kattibrie
October (0/5 Books)
November (0/5 Books)
December (0/5 Books)

Sharon
October (7/7 Books)
November (7/7 Books)
December (4/10 Books)

Ana
(0/9 books)

Lilac
(20/21 Books)increased goal!

Melanie
October (10/10 Books)
November (10/10 Books)
December (8/10 Books)

Chelsea
October (3/3 Books)
November (3/3 Books)
December (1/3 Books)

Lindy FINISHED!
October (10/10 Books)
November (10/10 Books)*increased to 10 instead of 5!
December (0/5 Books)*increased to 10 instead of 5!

Teresa
(0/10 Books)

Erika
October (10/10 Books)
November (5/5 Books)
December (3/5 Books)

message 47: by Lindy (new)

Lindy (LindyLee) | 126 comments On the page numbers for December if it says 1, 5 9 they all have to be in one book, correct

message 48: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 669 comments No, the page total just has to have one of those numbers in it, that's my understanding.

I'm not worrying about it for December though because I decided to just read Christmas books for December's part of the challenge :)

message 49: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) | 342 comments Updated my list here: http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/1...

(post #45)

message 50: by JenniferJ (new)

JenniferJ Updated my Post #4 HERE

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Dracula (other topics)
The Sound and the Fury (other topics)
The Haunting of Hill House (other topics)
East of Eden (other topics)
Wicked Appetite (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Bram Stoker (other topics)
William Faulkner (other topics)
Shirley Jackson (other topics)
Janet Evanovich (other topics)
Diane Mott Davidson (other topics)
More...