Around the World in 80 Books discussion

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (Miss Peregrine's Peculiar Children, #1)
Group Reads Discussions > Discussion for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children

Comments (showing 1-28 of 28) (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

message 1: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

message 2: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (last edited Sep 02, 2012 12:35PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 5673 comments After reading some of the reviews about this book, I was not really expecting to like it. Surprisingly, I actually did. I thought it was very clever and refreshingly different from a lot of books of the same genre. It was very engrossing, and a quick and easy read. The thing I didn't care for were: 1) Some things could have been explained better, 2) A few things didn't really add up, perhaps owing to #1, and, 3) Lack of closure in the end (mainly because there is a sequel in the works). Overall, I personally thought it was a great book, and the cover and pictures are absolutely amazing.

message 3: by MichelleCH (last edited Sep 07, 2012 03:43PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 47 comments I loved the photos too and thought that they added quite a bit to the novel. A more fascinating bit is how the author collected them at flea markets and tag sales. It makes one wonder about how and why they originated. This was a really quick read for me and I was also pleasantly surprised at how much I was drawn in. Agreed, the ending was very much set up for a sequel.

Kim | 20 comments My tween/teen self would have loved this book. I did find it a bit challenging to relate to a teen male character, being a middle aged woman and all. The rhythm was a tad herky-jerky, but still managed to keep a really nice pace. Oddly enough, I had a bit of a challenge picturing a lot of the characters. The pictures were fun and interesting, but didn’t necessarily match the characters they were supposed to be (at least in my imagination). Overall it was a fun, light read.

message 5: by Meran (last edited Sep 08, 2012 08:44PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Meran I very much agree with all the posts here, so far... Except I did think the photo-matching was a bit stretched sometimes.

I liked the fairy tale type time traveling idea; I thought it worked well. How someone could be "kept a child in mind" though, I don't find that idea feasible at all. Eighty-seven years is a long time to not mature into an adult! Especially under their circumstances, ie. knowing they were hiding out from monsters.

message 6: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 5673 comments Meran wrote: "I very much agree with all the posts here, so far... Except I did think the photo-matching was a bit stretched sometimes.

I liked the fairy tale type time traveling idea; I thought it worked well...."

I agree. I don't think that would be possible, especially for the older children.

Kim | 20 comments Meran wrote: "How someone could be "kept a child in mind" though, I don't find that idea feasible at all....."

That *was* odd. I remember when Jacob stayed in the loop the first day, he thought that he felt odd and drifty (my words because I can't remember exactly how he worded it, but it was something like that.) I think that was meant to explain how they 'stayed children'. Since the author didn't elaborate any more on the reason, I'm not sure.

The time travel idea was fun!

Meran To further this part of the discussion, there was evidence that some romantic entanglements were going on behind the Bird's back, so SOME development was being experienced.... I accept that there was no physical growth, and logically, some of that could be brain structure. However, there was the terrorizing of the town. This was showing more than boredom. (of course, the author may have kept the over thinking of such things minimal for reasons of keeping the storyline lighter reading than that of a Behavior textbook :) )

Kim | 20 comments Meran wrote: "To further this part of the discussion, there was evidence that some romantic entanglements were going on behind the Bird's back, so SOME development was being experienced.... I accept that there w..."

I guess we can chalk it up to fantasy fiction license. Most of the children were tweens as I recall, the 9-12 range? They can be like packs of wild animals sometimes. :) And teens IRL have romantic entanglements. Although, they don't tend to be as calm and long-lasting as the ones portrayed in the book.

It seems the challenge for fantasy authors is creating a fantasy world that can be believed on some level. The challenge for a reader is to be able to suspend reality enough to be immersed in the story.

I wonder if some of these issues will be clarified in future books?

message 10: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 5673 comments Kim wrote: "Meran wrote: "To further this part of the discussion, there was evidence that some romantic entanglements were going on behind the Bird's back, so SOME development was being experienced.... I accep..."

I hope so. A lot of things weren't very well-explained or didn't seem to quite add up. Maybe the next book will close up some of the gaps.

Meran I'm hoping for more too. :)
I'm wondering if the speed of writing was a little fast. The second book is to be published Spring 2013, according to the author's blog, who recently mentioned a return from a picture hunting trip.
Yes, some authors are prolific... But the writing could have been more cohesive. A little more care, and attending to some of the "holes", could resolve these issues.

I'm not a writer; I'm not meaning to be overly critical.

Misty Wright | 6 comments I enjoyed this book, although it is not at all what I thought it was going to be. Guess that is why you shouldn't judge a book by its cover. The idea that the children were so old bothered me, but kind of reminded me of that old Twilight Zone episode, "Kick the Can" where the older folks in the retirement home turned into their younger selves. Another thing that surprised me was the picture at the end of young Abe and Emily. I had pictured her as much younger, but they were actually pretty close to adulthood and would have to be if Abe left to fight the war. This book was great for a fantasy story, but was really sad in that the children had to remain children always and were stuck in the same day over and over again. And how are letters written and mailed across the loop? That part was never explained.

Sanz | 69 comments I read this book last year, or tried to anyway, but somehow was disappointed with it. It began on a great note for me, with a spooky, mysterious feel but soon I lost interest. I had a nagging feeling that instead of the photos being seamlessly worked into the story, the story was stitched in patches around the photos. I still found the author's style interesting. In the end I ended up,rating it 3 on 5, which for an abandoned book is quite a compliment.

I of course look forward to attempting it again sometime, but till then the book will have to simmer on my TBR.

Claire | 92 comments I enjoy fantasy, so I enjoyed reading this book. In the beginning I wondered whether it would proceed to psychologically explain details away or go with the details. And I enjoyed the direction it went.
I will probably read the sequel when it comes out.

I read it to get a book set in Wales, but as fantasy, I don't feel it has any bearing on Wales so I am not counting it in my Around the World. Nor was there enough FL to count it in 50 states. I guess I am a purist. If a book is about a place I want to learn something about that place.

Meran As per mailing the letters, I believe they were probably taken through the Cairn to the local PO.

Claire | 92 comments Meran wrote: "As per mailing the letters, I believe they were probably taken through the Cairn to the local PO."

Makes sense since they did have to cross occasionally. The one that puzzled me was the get-away submarine; that occurred in the loop, so how would it get out of the loop without using the cairn entrance?

Meran I'm puzzled.. Wasn't the submarine still in the same timeline?
They got on it and out into the world of what was it? 1941? Now, they'll begin to age properly. Remember, if they came to his time, they'd dry up, mummify, like the apple did.

Claire | 92 comments the submarine was for the harrows--I would expect them to need to use the cairn entrance/exit --and the time thing didn't affect them.

Tazitazitazi | 47 comments MichelleCH wrote: "I loved the photos too and thought that they added quite a bit to the novel. A more fascinating bit is how the author collected them at flea markets and tag sales. It makes one wonder about how and..."

I understood that the author borrowed those photos from private collectors and that they are the ones who collected them at flea markets.

Tazitazitazi | 47 comments I like the cover of this book. It gave me the chills so I wanted to read it. And the other photos in the book are a good illustration. Authors should do that more often, illustrate books.
This book started really nice and I liked the first half a lot. It was like a psychological drama with a touch of fear where you could not tell what is real and what isn’t. It was also creepy, but in a good way. From there this book could go in so many ways, but it went the wrong way - supernatural and predictable all the way. Except the loop. Maybe I’m stupid but I did not get that loop thing at all … who can pass, when … and by the end I did not care. I ran through the last 30 pages and there is no real ending so I was mad. I’m not reading the sequel!

Keri I've come to not read the summaries of books prior to reading them, so I had no idea what this was about and I was pleasantly surprised. Honestly I didn't even know it was a fantasy-type novel, then when the WWII stuff started I was like oh, it's a WWII book!

I thought the whole spin on the psychiatrist was interesting. There were a lot of things that I hadn't seen coming, which really doesn't happen often to me.

I agree that I wanted a real ending as well. I will most likely read the sequel when it comes out, just out of pure curiosity. I wonder how Jacob will age now that he's in the 1940s, not 2000s--since he is back in time and now aging, will he be in his 80s when the 2000s come back around, or 16 again?

message 22: by Diane, Armchair Tour Guide (new) - rated it 4 stars

Diane | 5673 comments Keri wrote: "I've come to not read the summaries of books prior to reading them, so I had no idea what this was about and I was pleasantly surprised. Honestly I didn't even know it was a fantasy-type novel, the..."

I was wondering how he would age, too.

message 23: by MichelleCH (last edited Sep 19, 2012 04:59PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

MichelleCH (lalatina) | 47 comments Tazitazitazi wrote: "MichelleCH wrote: "I loved the photos too and thought that they added quite a bit to the novel. A more fascinating bit is how the author collected them at flea markets and tag sales. It makes one w..."

Some were his and some he borrowed: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Per...

Anja | 6 comments YES, my library has found it for me and it looks very interesting: I will start to read it soon!

Megan | 2 comments I liked this book more than I initially thought I would, but I wish it had a more concrete ending rather than To Be Continued...other than that, I enjoyed it.

Hillary (Hmom) | 8 comments I totally enjoyed this book. The photos sealed the story and made it much more enjoyable. The sequel is to have more interesting photos.

Dalaina May (Dalaina_May) | 6 comments Tazitazitazi wrote: "I like the cover of this book. It gave me the chills so I wanted to read it. And the other photos in the book are a good illustration. Authors should do that more often, illustrate books.
This book..."

Ditto. I loved the picture aspect - what a clever idea! - but the ending made me crazy. It was just all of a sudden over. Still, I loved the book!

Diane (vampiredoll) | 2 comments I was disappointed with this book. I really liked the photographs but the story I thought wasn't well thought off. I mean, that's the best he can do? He has all these amazing photographs but he came up with a children's book. Not a very good children's book at that.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Ransom Riggs (other topics)