Webcomic Wonderland discussion

Jump Leads Volume 1: Tales from the Flurry
This topic is about Jump Leads Volume 1
Webcomic Discussions > September-Jump Leads ***NO SPOILERS***

Comments (showing 1-10 of 10) (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kristen (new)

Kristen | 1179 comments Don't even look at the rest of this discussion until you have read this!

Discuss Jump Leads here!

message 2: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) Since this is my pick, I'll post a review for it in a bit.

message 3: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) Jump Leads is a great webcomic that I've followed for a while. It's one of the more frustrating ones because of its update schedule (or lack thereof) but the story is excellent. It takes after British comedic sci-fi such as Red Dwarf, Blake's 7 and, to an extent, Doctor Who. The art was fantastic in the beginning but they've recently had to change artists so it's okay, just not as good.

The two main characters are Llewellyn and Meaney, two trainees in the Lead Service, a sort of reality police. Leads can jump to parallel universes and timelines (hence Jump Leads). Things go a bit pear-shaped on their first journey, however, and they are stuck trying to find their way back to their own version of the universe. Hilarity ensues.

Llewellyn is the sarcastic, world-weary foil to Meaney's wide-eyed idealism. They're definitely an odd couple and Llewellyn especially is tired of traversing the multiverse with his somewhat dim-witted companion. They encounter many strange things on their journey, including a self-defeating megalomaniac, an amoral former lead, alternate versions of loved ones, and more that defies description. I recommend reading an issue straight through because they're short and very entertaining.

I hope this was a good review to start off with and that some others check it out!

message 4: by Kayleigh (new)

Kayleigh | 195 comments This comic sounds like a lot of fun! I didn't get around to reading it this month, but it's definitely on my to-read list now.

Mike | 1482 comments Mod
Review to come, but finished reading it and enjoyed it. I feel like it had more potential than it achieves and is a bit hit or miss, but overall it was a really fun read.

I really miss the original artist though - I thought the art got rather bad at points later on.

message 6: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) Yeah, I agree with you on the art, Mike, but there were nooooo updates with Jjar for, like, a year at a time. Now it's only a month or two between mediocrely-drawn pages. Yes, I just turned mediocre into an adjective, deal with it.

When I reread it, I was surprised by how short each issue is. It seems so much longer, I guess, when you're waiting for updates. They do kind of start out with an adventure and "solve" it quickly - more development would be nice in some cases.

Mike | 1482 comments Mod
Yikes! And I thought it was bad getting to the end and finding out there hadn't been a page in a couple months. Glad it's wrapping up, because as much as I enjoyed it I don't think my interest would keep my hope up for years for this one...

Yeah, read together it zips right along. Agree that some things could've used more time, but on the flipside I like that they weren't afraid to have different length "issues" depending on what the story could support and (especially considering what you've said about the schedule) like that there wasn't much pointless padding.

message 8: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) What's there is quality, in my opinion. It was recommended to me because I like Doctor Who and it's got a Brit sci-fi thing going on. Since the update schedule got so bad, I would forget about it for a while and then the Doctor would come on TV again and I'd be like, "ooh, I wonder if Jump Leads has updated." That worked well enough.

Mike | 1482 comments Mod
Good point - coming back only every so often would likely work out. It's light and flows well so was nice to read in a big chunk - a page at a time would've frustrated me. Guess I was spoiled by my top webcomics updating regularly for a while. On the plus side, thanks to this group I now have lots of good stuff to read inbetween all my new favorites updating. :)

It's a shame they never really got a reliable artist, because I agree what they have is solid and I feel like the concept could've supported even more adventures before starting what appears to be endgame.

Never seen Doctor Who. Mean to at some point. Saw a season and change of Torchwood and enjoyed that.

message 10: by Katie (new)

Katie (katiebakes641) In the beginning, it wasn't completely sporadic. I think they made the first couple issues before they posted them...or something like that. That's probably how a lot start out.

My favorite issues are "Who Wants to Rule the World?" and "Trojan Horse." I know this is October, but I'm going over to spoilers to say why.

unread topics | mark unread