SOS: Serious Overload of Series discussion

Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6)
This topic is about Biting Cold
Archive: BOM & Challenges > [Oct 2012] "Biting Cold" Discussion **Spoilers**

Comments (showing 1-25 of 25) (25 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 21478 comments This is the discussion thread for our October BOM: Biting Cold by Chloe Neill.
Spoilers Welcome Here

Please include in your discussion:
* What did you think of the continuing storyline?
* How did the plot compare to others in the series?
* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
* Would you recommend the book to others?
* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?

Nairabell | 574 comments Just stumbled across this thread. I'm reading Biting Cold at the moment and I'm maybe 1/5 in. I'm liking it so far.

message 3: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 21478 comments Cool. Share your thoughts when you're finished. I've got it waiting TBR. I've gotten a bit frustrated with the series, so I didn't dive in as soon as I got it. Anxious to know what you thought of it.

Nairabell | 574 comments Steph wrote: "Cool. Share your thoughts when you're finished. I've got it waiting TBR. I've gotten a bit frustrated with the series, so I didn't dive in as soon as I got it. Anxious to know what you thought ..."

Why the frustration?

message 5: by Nairabell (last edited Oct 11, 2012 07:15AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nairabell | 574 comments I'm done with Biting Cold now and all in all I enjoyed it. It follows on really closely to the end of Drink Deep so definitely not a book for a newbie. Ethan and Merit hit another bump (view spoiler). It changes things for the series though, opening up the world while changing the rules for the characters (view spoiler).

* What did you think of the continuing storyline?
It's interesting. The older plot lines are getting tied up, some seem to be on hold (Red Guard) and new ones are being brought in.

* How did the plot compare to others in the series?
It was good, but at times felt like it was tying things up so the characters could move on. It'll be interesting to see where things go from here.

* Did you have a favorite quote or scene?
It's a tie between Jeff being Merit's hero and rescuing her, and Jeff telling Merit she's his backup :)

* Would you recommend the book to others?
To fans of the series yes, to total newbies no.

* Do you plan on reading the rest of the series?
Definitely :)

Vivian (_vivian) | 1825 comments Read this last month.

I'd say there's a slight improvement over the last book but nowhere close to as great as the first few. The Ethan Merit drama continues and I am so over them. The story is okay, but I don't understand how newbie vampire Merit is the only one who recognizes the problems and is the only one willing to deal with them.

I do think the series is on the upswing and if you've stuck with the Chicago Vamps this long the next book looks like it will be better than this one. Part of my optimism is based on (view spoiler).

Vivian (_vivian) | 1825 comments Nairabell, agree with the tying up old storylines. And there was not nearly enough Jeff in this book!

Nairabell | 574 comments I think Jeff is my fave character. I'd definitely read a book centered around him, or even a novella would be awesome. It just seems there's a lot to him that we haven't seen yet.

Jean (Jkat9) | 366 comments I read this one back in August. I was very frustrated with (view spoiler) Hopefully, it sounds like that has been resolved.

Also (view spoiler)

I'm definitely looking forward to the next book, because that was a pretty interesting set-up for House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7) by Chloe Neill.

message 10: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 21478 comments Vivian, I have a lot of the same feelings as you, as of the book preceding this one. I've yet to read Biting Cold, but hope to read it before year's end.

Damn, but I am havin' a hard time resisting those spoilers. LOL!

message 11: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 21478 comments I'm reading this one now and sadly, so far (75%) it's been kinda meh for me. Quick read, but haven't minded when I had to put the book down.

Alyssa (lyssad87) | 974 comments For those of you who finished Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6) by Chloe Neill and are just itching for a taste of House Rules (Chicagoland Vampires, #7) by Chloe Neill....

Lookie what I found!! ---> Chapter 1!!! The lovely Chloe Neill posted it for us. :-)

Josie | 1926 comments I only read Biting Cold (Chicagoland Vampires, #6) by Chloe Neill a week or so ago but I couldn't tell you the plotline. Actually, maybe I could, it was about Tate, wasn't it?
For some reason I've always been a bit meh about CV series and I can't seem to put my finger on why.

@Jean: I did like the ending, I felt like some action was finally being taken rather than to just be bossed about by some random people. Is it me though or are all baddies British? Not just in CV, I'm talking about in general lol!

message 14: by Jean (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jean (Jkat9) | 366 comments Josie wrote: "@Jean: I did like the ending, I felt like some action was finally being taken rather than to just be bossed about by some random people. Is it me though or are all baddies British? Not just in CV, I'm talking about in general lol!"

True! Is that because we won't suspect the British guy?

Nairabell | 574 comments Nah it's cause we Brits have funny accents :) Bad guys just have to have a weird accent lol!

Josie | 1926 comments We don't have a funny accent lol! I feel like if it's not us, it'll be a Russian bad guy, in films as well as books.

Nairabell | 574 comments True. Just look at the Bond villans - was there ever even one without some kind of accent? Maybe it's to make them automatically different from the good guys?

Josie | 1926 comments No, can't think of any!
Probably. I've read so many books and watched so many TV series and films with Brits being bad - why are we so naughty? :'(

Nairabell | 574 comments It must be all the tea :)

message 20: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 21478 comments LOL!! Back in the day it was always clear who the baddies were ... black hats. ;)

Nairabell | 574 comments Now you can't even really tell who the good guys are. I saw a trailer for the new Die Hard the other day and Bruce Willis wasn't wearing a vest! How can he kick butt in a t-shirt?

message 22: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 21478 comments LOL!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 462 comments Bruce Willis can kick butt in anything - he's Bruce Willis

I liked the poster that says "yipee kiyay mother russia"

Can't wait to see it next year!!!

Charlotte (Buried in Books) | 462 comments I really liked Biting Cold (wasn't keen on the first few books, but they've really grown on me as the series has gone on.

The main reason I keep reading is of course because of Ethan.

I like the fact that she's continuing to expand on the supernatural characters (view spoiler). I'm interested to see where the house goes from here.

message 25: by Steph, Road Tripper!! (new) - rated it 3 stars

Steph (Angel4492) | 21478 comments While this wasn't my favorite of the series, I am also interested to see where the house goes after what took place in this installment.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Biting Cold (other topics)
House Rules (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Chloe Neill (other topics)