The Kite Runner The Kite Runner discussion

The Haunting Scene between Hassan and Assef in the Alley

Comments (showing 1-50 of 124) (124 new)    post a comment »

message 1: by [deleted user] (new)

That was quite scary for me...

FangRulez It disturbed me.

message 3: by alchemist (last edited Sep 01, 2012 10:11AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

alchemist it showed that there heartless people in the world who wouldnt give a damn about anything in the world but themselves...also the whole ethnicity crap..so disturbing

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. I just felt so bad for Hassan. Who cares if he's a Hazara? It's the heart that counts.

Rachel I pity both of them. It was obviously horrible for Hassan to experience that, but imagine being the bystander? I don't know how he dealt with what he saw...

message 6: by alchemist (last edited Sep 01, 2012 11:22PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

alchemist true. thats why aamir couldnt forgive himself all his life. and he thought taking care of hassan's son could ease some of that burden for him

Tamara Figueroa It tortured me because I was screaming at Aamir for him being a coward. I usually like cowards, but he's evil. I was sad for Hassan. He was my very favorite character. I didn't want him to die at end.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

I think Assef is a psychopath.

Anna  Matsuyama Wise wrote: "I think Assef is a psychopath."

I think that too

Reilly I read this book quite a while ago...Amazing book. But I agree, that part of the story still really disturbs me.

message 11: by Usha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Usha Bisht i couldn't believe what i was reading... i couldn't think for a while. a child was being abused sexually by another.. i din't know what to wonder about? betrayal of a friend, sick mentality of a psychopath or the sheer realization that this too happens.. I still get disturbed by that part

Diana this part of the book was soo disturbing and hard to read! i could not believe that aamir could just stand by and watch as hassan was being abused!
and i was amazed at hassan's soul, spirit and kindness that even after being abused his concern was for aamir's safety
this part of the book really reminded me of paul's teaching in the bible where is says in all things consider others better than yourself.....in that moment for me hassan was a true reflection of compassion & love

Santosh thats scary for a boy of 8-9 year old...i thought for once it is real and some body is doing in front of me :(

message 14: by [deleted user] (new)

I agree. The author really made it seem as if it was happening right in front of your eyes. Haunting...

Sandra Cordon This novel really is brilliant and haunting...I, too, think Assef is a psychopath (or perhaps a sociopath) and I suppose that for the author, his brand of evil represents the Taliban.

Darnia That scene give me the same effect with the same scene in the movie "Sleepers". Even the scene in the movie only showed with scream... but it was haunting.

So do this book...

Megan Quinn I was too the author depicted the story so well I could imagine it happening. I couldn't believe that Amir stood by and watched his friend be abused it was cold and heartless thing to do. It is hard to believe there are people like Assef in this world, who could do that to another human being.

Mustafa Guys. I am a Pakistani and let me tell you this. Afghanistan and Pakistan have histories that are similar to each other. They used to be great countries before their governments became excessively Islamic. Then, everything became bad, and now, I can only say that I am ashamed to be a Pakistani.

That's the main reason I love this book, because I can relate to it. Even though I may have been born in American and am only 13, I have actually seen this stuff happen in Pakistan and near the Afghan border.

message 19: by Xie (new) - rated it 3 stars

Xie this part disturbed me so much that I actually found myself in oblivion (it was that bad). then my Sociology professor decided to show us the film and I tell you it got worse, I stopped functioning the whole day (yes, I was still in school) so I just ditched my other classes and went home.

Laura I agree too many posts to reply to them. This scene was horrific. It angered me so much and still does. Hassan was so lovely, caring and innocent. I understand Amir’s character and that would have been scared etc but he should have - and could have - done something. ANYTHING! Even knocked a bin over hoping they would stop that someone was there. Just anything would be better than nothing.

Dania That was shocking! How could Amir do such a horrible thing to Hassan. I HATED Amir at that moment. I know it might be scary to stand up to him, but it's still no excuse.

Janarah I almost didn't wanna finish the book because of that scene. I wanted to skip it so bad! I was so mad and horrified. I felt really really bad for Hassan.

message 23: by Neha (new) - rated it 4 stars

Neha Sharma I thought that I was not going to read that part.. but then I did and I felt disgusted.. I felt the pain of Hassan so well.. althought I skipped many lines.. but I could not take it out of my mind as I saw the movie as well..

Nawal Farhat It was definately haunting! and I kept thinking about it for weeks... even now, the thought of that scene really saddens me.

Emelia Hayes I was only thinking about that today and I read the book a few years ago. I think a news item triggered the memory. I agree with Nawal. A truly haunting image.

Ramin Kamran That part was quite scary and did disturb me.

Libia I actually put this book down for several weeks and later finished it. There were times that Aamir was just too much for me. Really self centered in my opinion.

Charan Teja It really disturbed me. And only then the character of Aamir seemed much pitier than before and the reader feels more sad about the person. Aamir character should be portrayed as a looser, never going to take a step to save anyone.. and only then when he goes to rescue Hasson's son, his bravery will get the actual hype. It is part of the story, the characterization and all other commercial stuff. But characters like Aamir are everywhere seen but not like Hassan's.

message 29: by Jade (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jade Lenehan I always wondered what caused Assef to actually do that, he was only a child too even if he was twisted.

Cheryl Diana wrote: "this part of the book was soo disturbing and hard to read! i could not believe that aamir could just stand by and watch as hassan was being abused!
and i was amazed at hassan's soul, spirit and ki..."

I was also amazed by Hassan's ability to forgive. Wow!

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

It takes a lot to forgive a friend who has betrayed and taken advantage of your innocent state. It allowed me to rejuvenate and become a better friend.

Nawal Farhat Cheryl, I'm not sure if Hassan really wanted to forgive him, or whether he thought he had no other options... as he felt inferior to Aamir.

Nawal Farhat Sorry I got the names mixed up in my previous post :)

Libia I agree with Nawal, I think he felt he needed to act as if he had forgiven him. No other choice

message 35: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed bangs, jr this is such an heroic character study It paints really lively pictures human beings with all their stars & failings. I could find no good side of the abuser but both the lead & hassan were marvels! I really enjoyed this book...similar to cutting for stone

message 36: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed bangs, jr Mustafa wrote: "Guys. I am a Pakistani and let me tell you this. Afghanistan and Pakistan have histories that are similar to each other. They used to be great countries before their governments became excessively ..."
Mustfa - I IMAGINE YOU ARE RIGHT...how sad - what stone? I'd like to know your thoughts.

Megan wrote: "I was too the author depicted the story so well I could imagine it happening. I couldn't believe that Amir stood by and watched his friend be abused it was cold and heartless thing to do. It is h..."

Kirstyn Indeed, it chilled me to the bone. That scene was very powerful and scary and showed the cruelty of some. No wonder Assef uirns out to be the adult he is.

Nandi Crawford I was feeling that book from the get go but what went down before with the abuser giving Amir that Nazi book that he didn't care for, then he's asking people in the marketplace for his friend and the don't give a damn attitude displayed by them let me know that the next scene wasn't going to go down well for no one. But to me, Amir could have stepped the hell up and prevented that from happening any further but he acted like he was scared of Assef and then to do the deed to send him away was straight out wrong. he was a coward Amir was and I lost interest in the book straight up.

message 39: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed bangs, jr Nandi wrote: "I was feeling that book from the get go but what went down before with the abuser giving Amir that Nazi book that he didn't care for, then he's asking people in the marketplace for his friend and t..."

Nandi wrote: "I was feeling that book from the get go but what went down before with the abuser giving Amir that Nazi book that he didn't care for, then he's asking people in the marketplace for his friend and t..."

Nandi wrote: "I was feeling that book from the get go but what went down before with the abuser giving Amir that Nazi book that he didn't care for, then he's asking people in the marketplace for his friend and t..."
Nandi - do you remember how assef died? who caused it?

Kirstyn I think the scene was to show how Amir was cowardly and despicable, showing there is no true protagonist in life. It also sets him up for his character development later.

Alexis It is interesting to witness people read this for the first time. One, because it is a page-turner and you find yourself bound to the characters til the book's end. Two, because you always know when they get to this part of the book. People literally get upset, aloud, maybe even talking back to the book as they read on. This scene was extremely disturbing, and evoked so much emotion. Just a random thought.

Yannsterthemonster FangRulez wrote: "It disturbed me."

Pretttyyy much

message 43: by Krys (new) - rated it 5 stars

Krys (Black & Write Reviews) It's just as disturbing, if not more, if you've read that scene from the graphic novel version. The blood just solidified the gore of the rape.

message 44: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed bangs, jr B & W - of course you are right! but the scene is so neatly woven into the rest of the book that it is an imperative part of the whole. Do you agree?

Winnie  The Pooh Made me want to scream and cry and close my eyes all at the same time. I can't help but admire Hassan so very much, Amir did the unforgivable - and he still forgave him. It was quite, quite moving for me.

Jaidev It was very dark and grim, it went like a thunder through my body

Libia The more I think about it, the more I see how that particular scene showed us who Amir really was, his true character.

Sabrina this was a vital happening in the book, now amir's full character was unleashed. This particular action haunted Amir for the rest of his life and probably infulenced Amir to go after Soharb because of the guilt and respect he had for Hasaan for forgiving him.

message 49: by Ed (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ed bangs, jr perceptive! good job

Diana Adhiambo This scene gave me chills, I didn't know whether to cry or to be angry. It seemed all too real; I could almost hear the hissing as the warm blood fell onto the cold snow. Assef was a psychopath but he wasn't any worse than Amir and his cowardliness. How did he just stand there?

« previous 1 3

all discussions on this book | post a new topic

Books mentioned in this topic

The Kite Runner (other topics)