Read It Forward discussion

The Shadow Queen
This topic is about The Shadow Queen
Book Chats > THE SHADOW QUEEN by Rebecca Dean

Comments (showing 1-6 of 6) (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Read It Forward | 97 comments Mod
Rebecca Dean's THE SHADOW QUEEN is a fictional retelling of the life and times of Wallis Simpson, Duchess of Windsor. Page-turning historical fiction at its finest!

Read on RIF: Rebecca Dean reveals how she came to be so fascinated with Wallis Simpson.

QUESTION: How much freedom does an author have when she's novelizing a real person's life? What facts does she have to remain true to, what things can she imagine?

Marti (Marjay) I would really like to join this discussion, however I did not receive the book even though I was contacted as a winner... I have sent an email, but have not received a response.

Read It Forward | 97 comments Mod
Marti wrote: "I would really like to join this discussion, however I did not receive the book even though I was contacted as a winner... I have sent an email, but have not received a response."

Rest assured, Marti, your book is on its way! We've recently moved our mailing warehouse and are experiencing some delays but we're on track now. We can't wait to hear what you think of the read!

Marti (Marjay) Read It Forward wrote: "Marti wrote: "I would really like to join this discussion, however I did not receive the book even though I was contacted as a winner... I have sent an email, but have not received a response."

R..."

Thank you sooo much. I am looking forward to reading this book!

Marti (Marjay) I have received the book and it is near the top of the reading list. Thank you Read It Forward.

Marti (Marjay) Warning: I am unsure whether to give this three of four stars....

The Shadow Queen is a fictional novel about Wallis Simpson. This is the woman who eventually married King Edward, who abdicated the British throne for her. Wallis was not suitable to be a queen as she was divorced twice.

The book starts with Wallis's upbringing in Baltimore. She was taught that her family line was exalted - but she was one of the poor side. They were dependent on family for funds to live on. This is how her story begins as it forms her character and explains some choices in the future. As the story unfolds you are both amazed and horrified at her path through life. Just when the book was getting to the "good part" about Edward, it ended. This book seems to be the first of two. There are questions unanswered and some conclusions drawn that may not be accurate - but it is a fictional novel. I am looking forward to reading the second book.

The author's attention to historical detail during the years of the story was excellent. Her descriptions of the gowns and glitter allowed readers to visualize the events. Certainly, I was fascinated by the beginning flight program in Florida.

Thank you Read it Forward for the chance to read this advanced reader's copy.

unread topics | mark unread