The Casual Vacancy Book Club discussion

Welcome!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 295) (295 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4 5 6

message 1: by Patrick (new)

Patrick Brown | 1 comments Mod
Things will really get going around here when the book comes out and we can all start reading it. In the meantime, please feel free to introduce yourself to the group.

message 2: by Sharon (new)

Sharon Hi Everyone..... I am Sharon and I am trying to wait patiently for this book!

message 3: by Susan (new)

Susan | 2 comments I cannot wait for this book!!!! My name is Susan. Of course, I have read all of her Hogwarts books.

message 4: by Sheryce (new)

Sheryce | 4 comments Hi! This is my first online book club attempt. I am temporarily unemployed and reading a lot. Very excited about this book, like others! Nice to meet you all :)

message 5: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Hyland | 3 comments Hi, my name is Jeremy. Like Sheryce this is my first online book club. I'm so excited for the book, so I hope to finish Under The Dome by Stephen King in time to start with The Casual Vacancy the moment it arrives in my mail box ^^

message 6: by Luke (new)

Luke | 10 comments Hi. I'm Luke. Looking forward to the new book. Hope it will be as great as HP series.

message 7: by Philharmonic (new)

Philharmonic EightThirty | 1 comments Cool.

message 8: by Anushka (new)

Anushka | 2 comments Hey. I'm Anushka. :) This is my first book club, too. So excited for The Casual Vacancy! Even though my exams will be going on when the book comes out, it's not going to stop me from reading it. ^.^

message 9: by Manoj (new)

Manoj kumar (mnjkmr321) | 1 comments i am manoj.This is myfirstbook club

message 10: by Marie (last edited Sep 11, 2012 01:23PM) (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 11 comments Hello, my name is Marie and I'm a huge fan of Harry Potter. I'm looking forward to this book, even though I have to admit the description doesn't sound very appealing. I have faith in Jo's storytelling abilities, however!

message 11: by Kara (new)

Kara | 1 comments Hey, I'm Kara. So excited for the book! Just realized from this thread that I forgot to pre-order (whoops). Should do that tonight!

message 12: by Sandra (new)

Sandra (sandraPA) Hello Everyone. My name is Sandy and I am also a huge Harry Potter Fan. This is my first book club. I am anxious to see what it is all about. Can't wait to get the book on September 27th.

message 13: by Sigourney (new)

Sigourney (psthebirdbites) Hi everyone! I'm Sigourney, this is the first group I've actually introduced myself in ha. Can't wait to read The Casual Vacancy, it's completely different from books I usually read but I'm a massive HP fan so naturally want to get my hands on everything Jo writes :)

message 14: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda Dear Everyone in 'the casual vacancy book group',
I am an avid reader of anything alongside being a fantasy fiction fanatic, and a fan of the increadible Harry Potter series. JK Rowling is my inspiration as a female writer, whose talent and down-to-earth persona makes me think very highly of her. I cannot wait until her new, different book is released that is going to shock, suprise and i am sure wow many fans. Also i do believe that she will encounter new readers who perhaps have not read her Potter books, but who enjoy fiction and well-written literature.
I look forward with much anticipation and excitement as to the book's release and to the various discussions within this group.
Lucinda x

message 15: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizzzz27) The real test of an author comes with the second book/series. If JK Rowling can switch up genres, styles, and age groups while still maintaining her own voice and sense of humor, she will be so much more of a powerful writer. I have such high hopes. I really really really hope that the brilliance of Harry Potter wasn't just an accident. I can't wait to find out what she still has to deliver in a book that's not just meant for children.

I'm Liz by the way. Hello to everyone! :)

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (SarahFett) Hi, I'm Sarah. This is my first online bookclub outside of library school. It will be nice to be able to discuss for fun and not for a grade!

message 17: by Marie (new)

Marie (fyeahmarie) | 11 comments Liz wrote: "The real test of an author comes with the second book/series. If JK Rowling can switch up genres, styles, and age groups while still maintaining her own voice and sense of humor, she will be so muc..."

I doubt it's an accident, but needless to say the expectations are very high for Jo. It's safe to say, however, that she has a built-in market with this book already, consisting of those who either grew up with HP or love HP.

message 18: by Sheryce (new)

Sheryce | 4 comments So, I pre-ordered my book today at a local bookstore. I paid around $30 and thought DANG! However, I haven't purchased a hardback in a while. But isn't that a lot?

message 19: by Liz (new)

Liz (lizzzz27) Sheryce wrote: "So, I pre-ordered my book today at a local bookstore. I paid around $30 and thought DANG! However, I haven't purchased a hardback in a while. But isn't that a lot?"

Yes, that is a lot. It is far cheaper if buy/preorder from amazon.

message 20: by Jenna (new)

Jenna Friebel (jenna_friebel) Hello! I'm Jenna. I'm currently in library school, and grew up along with Harry Potter. I'm glad JK Rowling's works are entering adulthood along with me! :D

message 21: by Booklover (new)

Booklover Hi! I'm Nitya and really looking forward to this book!

message 22: by Carmen (new)

Carmen | 1 comments Hi everyone! I'm Carmen and this the first book group I've joined since getting on Goodreads. I, like everyone else here, am looking forward to this book. I loved the HP books (and I'm an adult over 40!). The premise of this book sounds really interesting and I can't wait to see if it's as good as I think it's going to be.

message 23: by Maria (new)

Maria (HoweverImprobable) Hi, I'm Maria from Sweden. I'm also really excited about this book and about getting to discuss it with you guys. :D

message 24: by Elliot (new)

Elliot Hyland | 3 comments @Sheryce: That's a lot of money. I've preordered it for only 12 euro (about 16 dollars). And the British among us can buy it for 10 pounds at Waterstones.

message 25: by Anushka (new)

Anushka | 2 comments Sheryce wrote: "So, I pre-ordered my book today at a local bookstore. I paid around $30 and thought DANG! However, I haven't purchased a hardback in a while. But isn't that a lot?"

That's too much. The site I pre-ordered from, I had to pay about 553 rupees (that's just 10-11 dollars).

message 26: by Jen (new)

Jen (Jennytree33) Hi my name is Jen(UK)and I blog over at: http://girlonachairreading.wordpress....
I'm so looking forward to this book... Haven't been a part of many read alongs and stuff, but looking forward to reading and chatting with people...

message 27: by Lucinda (new)

Lucinda I do think that £20 in the UK is quite a lot for a hardback book, but concidering who the author is i am not suprised. I do hope that when it is released i will be able to buy it, if not i shall be getting it out the library as i am very keen to read it & most interested to see JK Rowling put pen to paper once more. x

message 28: by Carrie (new)

Carrie P (ilavalavamylibrary) Aloha, I'm Carrie Potter (kidding, but my first name IS Carrie & my last name does start with a "P" followed by a lightning bolt exclamation!). I live in Hawaii & will be visiting England for the first time next year so I am looking forward to finishing Jo's new adult book before my trip. Wouldn't it be wonderful magic if I could meet her in "real" life there? Another first for me is an online book club so mahalo for having me & hoping for some great discussions :)

message 29: by Luke (new)

Luke | 10 comments @Sheryce: Amazon has it for a little less than $21.

message 30: by Candyland (new)

Candyland Hello! Shamefully, I just learned of the book's release today *hangs head* Looking forward to checking out JKR's new release. The woman can tell a story like few others and I am extremely excited to read this new one!

message 31: by Sandra (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:33AM) (new)

Sandra (sandraPA) Liz wrote: "Sheryce wrote: "So, I pre-ordered my book today at a local bookstore. I paid around $30 and thought DANG! However, I haven't purchased a hardback in a while. But isn't that a lot?"

I ordered from Amazon and it was much cheaper than $30

message 32: by Sheryce (new)

Sheryce | 4 comments Yeah, I checked on amazon. Oh well, I already paid. I do feel good about getting it at a locally, independently owned store. So, I hope they use my extra money well. I've been buying a lot of used ones lately and just forgot how expensive new hardbound books are.

message 33: by Sheryce (new)

Sheryce | 4 comments Thanks for all of your feedback though. Nice to see so many newbies too! Keep the intros coming. Seems like there are people from everywhere in participation. I'm from California.

message 34: by Arlette (new)

Arlette (Arlettte) Hi everyone! I'm Arlette and really looking forward to the book. Bought it as soon as it came on pre-order in my country. Really curious to see such a different type of story from J.K. Really curious to see how it is going to turn out!

message 35: by Leila (new)

Leila (softlyblush) | 2 comments Sandra wrote: "Liz wrote: "Sheryce wrote: "So, I pre-ordered my book today at a local bookstore. I paid around $30 and thought DANG! However, I haven't purchased a hardback in a while. But isn't that a lot?"

..."

Purchasing from local bookstores always help support the stores :) They do get very very strong competition from Amazon after all :)

message 36: by Leila (new)

Leila (softlyblush) | 2 comments Hi! I'm from Sweden! I hope to be able to participate as well but I'm not sure. I won't be home the week they release it so I have to check the local bookstore in the town I am in, if they have it. They should, but it's a small town so you never know when it will arrive and if they have any left.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer Williamson | 1 comments Hi, All. I'm Jen. This is my first book club. I'm really looking forward to reading the book and to discussing it with all of you!

message 38: by Lisa (last edited Sep 12, 2012 06:39PM) (new)

Lisa Vegan (LisaVegan) Hi everybody. I'm Lisa. I need another online book club like a hole in the head, but I just noticed this group and was too tempted to not join, so here I am. I loved J.K. Rowling's Harry Potter Boxset (well, I read them one at a time) and I tend to like English village mysteries, so I have very high hopes for this book. I love Rowling's humor and writing style. Eagerly awaiting The Casual Vacancy!!!

Katharine (Ventureadlaxre) (SkyPirate) Looking forward to it! I get to review for the publisher, so didn't have to pay for my copy... don't get it early, either! They're throwing a party for reviewers to pick up their copy, but I sadly don't live close enough to attend.

Hoping the post shall move Quickly!

message 40: by Emily (new)

Emily | 1 comments Totally want to review it! I love J.K Rowling and Harry Potter! Harry Potter is the best. Ever.

message 41: by Aasha (new)

Aasha (asha_shelke) | 1 comments Dying for her new book......hope its as good as HP books.....no doubt her fans are going to love it! I love her writing style & HP books were fab.

I hv pre-ordered the book.....wish I get book on 27th itself.

message 42: by Michele (new)

Michele | 7 comments Hi, I'm looking forward to participating in the group.

message 43: by Dermot (new)

Dermot i just preordered on amazon for just under ten pounds, last time i preordered a book was the deathly hallows.

message 44: by Silent.night (new)

Silent.night (SilentNight) | 1 comments Hi! I am Michelle and love the Harry Potter series. I have high hopes for this book. This is my first book club. :)

message 45: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey, I'm Cat, and I'm super duper excited for the Casual Vacancy by the extremely talented Queen Rowling! I personally live in the US but I'm pretty obsessed with British literature, especially when it comes to Rowling. Thanks Lucinda for inviting me!

message 46: by Missie (new)

Missie | 4 comments Hi!! I'm Missie. This is my 1st book club on line or in person and I can't wait to disc. this book with every one!!! I am so happy to have another book from an amazing author to dive into and get lost in!

message 47: by [deleted user] (new)

Hey Missie! Glad you're here.

message 48: by Kasia (new)

Kasia (Kasia_S) This book sounds cozy, almost like a nice but wicked Agatha Christie read :)

I'm Kasia, I love horror the most, I'm a fashion designer but I'd rather read than anything else :)

message 49: by Suzy (new)

Suzy (suzyryner) | 1 comments Looking forward to a great read!!! This is my first book club!

message 50: by Zach (new)

Zach Gray (zachgray) | 1 comments Hi all. I'm first on the list at my library to get the audio version of the book. I was sad to see that Jim Dale didn't narrate this one, but excited nonetheless.

« previous 1 3 4 5 6

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Casual Vacancy (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

J.K. Rowling (other topics)