Second Chance Challenges discussion

Members Corner > Sharon's page

Comments (showing 1-7 of 7) (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharon (last edited Oct 09, 2012 01:06PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 11 comments BIG football fan ... I'm definitely doing this one!

San Francisco 49ers

San Francisco 49ers

1. The 49ers are based in San Francisco, California. Read a book set in the state of California.
The List by Melanie Jacobson
2. The official colors are Red, Metallic Gold and White. Read a book whose cover is primarily one of these colors or a combination of them.

3. The team is named the 49ers in honor of the men who were a part of the 1849 gold rush in the mountains east of San Francisco. Read any book about or set during the gold rush OR read any book set in or published in 1849.

4. The 49ers have had 13 Hall of Fame players. REad a book with a character whose name matches one of these players (first, last or nickname): Fred Dean, Jimmy Johnson, Ronnie Lott, Hugh McElhenny, Joe Montana, Leo Nomellini, Joe Perry, Jerry Rice, Bob St. Clair, Y.A. Tittle, Bill Walsh, Dave Wilcox, Steve Young

5. Pick a set of initials matching one of the players above and read a book whose title includes words that begin with those letters.
Example: If the initials are J.K. you could use With Just One Kiss

6. Read any book that has 49 in the page total (249, 490, etc).

7. The 49ers were established in 1946. Read a book by any author born in that year. This list may help.
Diana Palmer Courageous by Diana Palmer
8. They won Superbowl Championships in 1981, 1984, 1988, 1989, and 1994. Read a book published in one of these years.

message 2: by Sharon (last edited Sep 03, 2014 10:04AM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 11 comments Disney or Bust!

Duration: 6 months to 1 year. You decide based on your level of participation.

This challenge is based on everything Disney! There are 3 parts to this challenge, you must participate in all 3, but you choose how much you'd like to participate! You may not use one book for more than one section of the challenge, but cross-challenge posting is encouraged. Rereads are acceptable as long as you read the whole book and not simply skim it.

LEVEL 1: AT THE PARKS – choose a park (or several parks) that you would like to “visit” and read books that correspond to each area of the park!
Disneyland
MAIN STREET USA – read a book set in a small town, USA
TOMORROWLAND – read a book that is set in the future
Cinder (The Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
ADVENTURELAND – read a book where the main character is on an adventure
Defiance (Defiance #1) by C.J. Redwine
FANTASYLAND – read a book that is based in fantasy
A Discovery of Witches (All Souls Trilogy, #1) by Deborah Harkness

MICKEYS TOONTOWN – read a book with a drawing on the cover
Murder by Design (Kennedy Killingsworth, #2) by Betsy Brannon Green
CRITTER COUNTY – read a book where an animal plays an important role
The Princess and the Hound (The Hound Saga, #1) by Mette Ivie Harrison
FRONTIERLAND – read a book set in the past (approx. 1850-1950)
The Touch of Sage by Marcia Lynn McClure
NEW ORLEANS SQUARE – read a where the character's culture (or the culture of the area the character lives in) is an important part of the book
Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2) by Shannon Hale

LEVEL 2: CHARACTER MEET 'N' GREET - spell out the name of the character(s) you would love to meet! Note: you may use the first word in a title or the authors first or last name to complete each letter.

M Melanie Jacobson

I
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter
N
Never Look Back by Betsy Brannon Green

NNora Roberts
The Next Always (Inn BoonsBoro, #1) by Nora Roberts
I
It Takes a Witch (A Wishcraft Mystery, #1) by Heather Blake
E Janet Evanovich

M
Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1) by Betsy Brannon Green
O
Outlander (Outlander, #1) by Diana Gabaldon
U
Untraceable (Nature of Grace, #1) by S.R. Johannes
S
The Sound of Rain by Anita Stansfield
E Ellen Schreiber

LEVEL 3: FAVORITE MOVIES – choose a few of your favorite animated movies from the list below and do the corresponding challenge! You may choose as many or as few movies as you would like.

101 DALMATIONS – read a book where a dog is a key character
ALADDIN – read a book about someone who is poor
ALICE IN WONDERLAND – read a book where a character “wakes up” in another place/world

BAMBI – read a book in which a character has lost both their parents
BEAUTY & THE BEAST – read a book about someone who is a bibliophile
Beauty (Folktales #1) by Robin McKinley
BRAVE – read a book set in the UK (England/Scotland/Ireland)
Jewels of the Sun (Gallaghers of Ardmore / Irish Trilogy, #1) by Nora Roberts
A BUGS LIFE – read a book where a character learns they can make a difference
Before I Go To Sleep by S.J. Watson
CARS – read a book where the characters are traveling
CINDERELLA – read a book about someone who has a step-family (this is a retelling of Cinderella)
A Kiss at Midnight (Fairy Tales, #1) by Eloisa James
DUMBO – read a book about the circus or where the characters go to a circus/carnival
FINDING NEMO – read a book about the relationship between a parent/child
THE FOX & THE HOUND – read a book about an unlikely friendship
HERCULES – read a book set in an ancient time
THE INCREDIBLES – read a book where a character saves someone's life
THE JUNGLE BOOK – read a book set in the Middle East
LILO & STITCH – read a book about family
THE LION KING – read a book set in Africa
THE LITTLE MERMAID – read a book that takes place on or near water
MEET THE ROBINSONS – read a book where a character is a geek
MONSTERS INC – read a book where the characters are scared of something
MULAN – read a book set in China
PETER PAN – read a book where a character discovers their talents
PINOCCHIO – read a book where a character is used like a puppet for someone else's gain
POCAHONTAS – read a book about 2 or more cultures clashing
THE PRINCESS & THE FROG – read a book about someone who makes a big change in their life
ROBIN HOOD – read a story where a character steals from others
Prom and Prejudice by Elizabeth Eulberg
SLEEPING BEAUTY – read a book where a character is 16 years old
SNOW WHITE & THE SEVEN DWARFS – read a book in which a character is very vain
TANGLED – read a book about someone who was kidnapped
TARZAN – read a book that mostly takes place in the outdoors
TOY STORY – read a book in which someone has a birthday
Happy Birthday by Danielle Steel
UP – read a book about someone who fulfills a lifelong dream
WALL-E – read a post-apocalyptic book

message 3: by Sharon (last edited Mar 28, 2013 02:51PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 11 comments ANOTHER Challenge ... I can't stop myself!

School's In, Summer's Gone

This challenge is original to SCC!
Challenge Creator: Teresa in Ohio
A BIG thank you to Teresa for offering this challenge to SCC!

Duration: 3 months from start date

RULES
1) Any format of book accepted, BUT physical copy of book must be at least 175 pages.
2) If using cover, must post cover of book, and it needs to be easily seen or explained. ( I am pretty lenient )
3) If using plot, setting or character please explain how it fits the task

Your Tasks

1) MATH read a book with a number in the titles, cover has geometric shapes on it, or the plot deals with statistics, data, formula OR the character is an accountant, math teacher, or works in a math related career
13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson
2)LANGUAGE ARTS/ENGLISH read a classic novel, or read a book you were required to read in high school or a book from one of these lists:
1001 Books You Must Read Before You Die
USA Today Top 100 Books - Set the year to 2011
50 Books to Read in High School
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
3) SCIENCE/HEALTH read a science fiction book, book having to do with computer science medicine or forensics. Or the character works in the science or medical field.
River's End by Nora Roberts
4) SOCIAL STUDIES read a book set in a different country than you live, read a book where your ancestors came from or a book about the history of the country you live in. Or read a book where the plot is archelogy,anthropology or historical fiction.
5) HOME ECONIMICS/FAMILY LIVING read a cookbook, read a book wrote by a chef, read a book with food on thecover. Or read a book where family saga is the plot or spans 3 or more generations of a family.
Julie and Julia  365 Days, 524 Recipes, 1 Tiny Apartment Kitchen by Julie Powell
6) THE ARTS: MUSIC,BAND,CHOIR,ART read a book where the plot centers around musician, artists, or the plot takes place in Nashville, NYC or Hollywood. Or the cover is artistic, or represents music
7) FORGEIN LANGUAGE read a book translated from another language to English, the author is a forgein author to the United states or the character has immigrated to the United states
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
8) GYM read a book with the plot being about health issues, s exercise, sport or an athlete. The setting is in a gym or a sports field, or the cover represents sport
The List by Melanie Jacobson *she's learning how to surf
9) RECESS/STUDY HALL read a book next in a series
Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
10) Pick 6 of these as your ELECTIVES: Choose whatever you want and tell us how the book fits the task ... possibilities
European witchcraft
the American vacation
it's the end of the world as we know it
Reached (Matched, #3) by Ally Condie
human computer interaction
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
Dirty pictures (words/scenes)
A Kiss at Midnight by Eloisa James
The Road Movie
Buffy the Vampire Slayer - vampire book
My Blood Approves (My Blood Approves, #1) by Amanda Hocking
Age of Piracy - maybe
Pirate Latitudes by Michael Crichton

message 4: by Sharon (last edited Oct 06, 2012 06:55PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 11 comments Someone stop me! I can't resist ...

If you all like this challenge I'll continue in future months with children of the 80's and 90's.

Duration: No limit. Take as long as you need to.

Are you a child of the 70's? If so, I hope this challenge brings back happy memories of your childhood. If you're not a child of the 70's have fun learning about the decade.

All of the general challenge guidelines apply here.

Fiction and Non-Fiction are both acceptable for all of these tasks.

You know you're a child of the 70's if...

1. The phrase, "All skaters change directions!" means something to you
In honor of the Roller-Disco, read a book with a scene involving roller skating OR has a cover image of roller skates OR has an author with the initials R. D.

2. This rings a bell: "My name is Charlie, and they work for me."!
In honor of Charlie's Angels, read a book with a character named Charlie OR a book involving angels OR a book with a predominantly white cover.

3. You took family trips BEFORE the invention of the mini-van and remember riding in the back of the station wagon trying to get passing trucks to honk at you.
Read a book involving a road trip OR the MC drives a station wagon OR has some type of car on the cover.

4. You learned to swim at about the same time "Jaws" came out... and still carry the emotional scars to prove it.
Read a book set in or near the ocean OR with a predominantly blue cover.
5. Leg warmers were cool.
Read a book where the MC is interested in fashion or the fashion industry OR read a book set in the fall or winter
6. Schoolhouse Rock played a HUGE part in how you learned things like grammar, math and history. (A big hint here is if the only way you can recite the Preamble to the Constitution is by singing it.)
Read a book involving politics in some way OR where the main character is a teacher OR set in a school (any type of school is ok).
Palace of Stone (Princess Academy #2) by Shannon Hale
7. Your first musical purchase was an 8-track tape.
Read a book with the number 8 (or Eight) in the title OR read a book whose page numbers end in 8.

8. You've ever owned a pair of rainbow suspenders like the ones Mork used to wear.
Read a book with a solid colored cover OR involving aliens
Cinder (Lunar Chronicles, #1) by Marissa Meyer
9. You remember wanting to stay up to see Mr. Bill on Saturday Night Live.
Read a book that makes you laugh OR with a character named Bill (William is ok as long as he is referred to as Bill).

10. It was a major accomplishment to get to the "Chase" scene in Ms. Pacman.
Read a book involving ghosts OR involving a powerful woman OR with a pink and yellow cover.

message 5: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 11 comments ANOTHER challenge ... I'm never going to keep them all straight!

Top Ten Music Challenge

The purpose of the challenge is to not only inspire us to read new books, but to hopefully introduce us to new music. Maybe listen to something we wouldn't normally listen to. It always interests me to know what music others are listening to...I don't want to miss anything. Lol

1. List out your Top Ten Songs. These can be the top 10 on your iPod, your 10 favorite songs - whatever you like.
2. Match a word. Read 1 book for each song where one word in the book title matches one word in the song title. A, An, The do not count.

Example:
Song: Captured by the Moment (Steve Perry)
Book: Savor the Moment by Nora Roberts

● You may post your song and book lists as you go or in advance.
● All book formats are acceptable
● Re-reads are allowed but no skimming
● Books must be at least 100 pages

message 6: by Sharon (last edited Apr 23, 2014 03:43PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 11 comments Happy Birthday Challenge
**I'm in ... my birthday is this month so I'll celebrate my birthday for a whole month! I'm starting today and counting the book I just finished.

Finished 10/19/12

Duration: 1 month from start date

Read one book for each task below:

1 – What’s a birthday without a party? Read a book in which a party or other celebration (wedding, graduation, retirement, etc.) takes place.
Palace of Stone (Princess Academy, #2) by Shannon Hale
2 – You must have cake or it’s not a birthday party! Read a book in which someone bakes something OR a cookbook for bakers.
Violets Are Blue (Alex Cross, #7) by James Patterson
3 – A birthday cake isn’t complete without candles. Read a book with a sweet dessert on the cover.
Happy Birthday by Danielle Steel
4 – Many people enjoy surprise parties. Read a book with a surprise ending or a big twist in the plot.
Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
5 – Birthdays usually mean gifts. Read a book in which someone gives a gift – an actual present, a gift of time or wisdom, a bequest – to a person or institution/organization.
I'd Tell You I Love You, But Then I'd Have to Kill You (Gallagher Girls, #1) by Ally Carter
6 – Birthday gifts are wrapped in pretty paper and ribbons. Read a book with a pretty cover.
Courageous by Diana Palmer
7 – Like it or not, a birthday means you’re another year older. Read a book with a character who is older than you are OR a book published before you were born.
Fahrenheit 451 by Ray Bradbury
8 – Part of aging gracefully is learning to be comfortable with whatever age you are. Read any book from your comfort zone.
River's End by Nora Roberts
9 – Celebrate the season! Read a book that starts or ends in the season in which you born. For the purposes of this task, spring = March – May; summer = June – August; fall = September – November; winter = December – February.
10 – You’ve survived another birthday! Read a book with a happy ending OR a book in which someone has overcome an obstacle, met a goal or solved a problem
Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater

message 7: by Sharon (last edited Nov 26, 2012 04:07PM) (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 11 comments To be scared or not to be scared...

A BIG thank you to Teresa in Ohio for offering this challenge!

Duration: 4 months from start date

Rules:
● Books must be at least 150 pages.
● Any format is ok but use the page count for the hardback copy if reading an ebook or listening to an audiobook.
● Please include the cover image or tell us how the book fits the task if necessary.

Now let's be scared!

1) Friday the 13th: Read a book with Friday or 13 in the title, a main character is named Jason, the character comes back from the dead( will accept ghosts or zombies) OR the character is a hockey player.
13 Little Blue Envelopes (Little Blue Envelope, #1) by Maureen Johnson
2) Halloween: Read a book where there is a murder
Midnight in Austenland by Shannon Hale
3) Psycho: Read a book where the plot is about forbidden love
Ever (Enchanted, #4) by Gail Carson Levine
4) Nightmare on Elm Street: Read a book where the setting is a small town
Glass Houses (The Morganville Vampires, #1) by Rachel Caine
5) Scream: Read a book that has a serial killer
Cross (Alex Cross, #12) by James Patterson
6) Night of the Living Dead: Read a book about zombies, set in a farm or a Dystopian novel. Or read a book where the main character is hiding from someone/something.

7) The Exorcist: Read a book that is set in Washington D.C.
Four Blind Mice by James Patterson
8) Saw: Read a book with a cover that has a saw or other toolbox tool on it. Or read a book where one character manipulates/bullies another character or where the plot involves a game or puzzle.

9) Frankenstein: Read a book involving monsters (you decide which one) or where a character abuses corpses or mistreat the dead. Or read a book that is set in the forensic field or the charcter creates something.
Frankenstein by Mary Shelley
10) Jaws: Read a book set in a small town
Murder by the Book (Kennedy Killingsworth, #1) by Betsy Brannon Green

11) The Shining: Read a book that involves a father/son relationship
The Princess and the Hound (Princess, #1) by Mette Ivie Harrison
12) Texas Chainsaw Mascare: Read a book about a group of teens

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Never Look Back (other topics)
Jewels of the Sun (other topics)
A Discovery of Witches (other topics)
Untraceable (other topics)
A Kiss at Midnight (other topics)
More...

Authors mentioned in this topic

Melanie Jacobson (other topics)
Diana Palmer (other topics)
Nora Roberts (other topics)