Challenge: 50 Books discussion

Finish Line 2012! > Tanya's 50 in 2012

Comments (showing 1-16 of 16) (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown_arrow    newest »

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments Hello, I am a new member here and thought I would share the books I've read so far on my quest to read 50 books in 2012. I wasn't an avid book reader before this year and even the 19 books I've read so far is a record for me. now I love reading so much that I have to read before bed, spend hours on Goodreads adding to an ever growing to read list, listen to audiobooks instead or radio and started an in person book club with a couple friends! Too bad I can't make a living out of reading!

Here's what I have read so far (my favorites are **ed)

1. The Last Song by Nicholas Sparks
2. The Shopaholic Takes Manhattan by Sophie Kinsella
3. Strength in What Remains: a Journey of Rememberance and Forgiveness by Tracy Kidder
4. The Lies We Told by Diane Chamberlain **
5. The Shadow Wife by Diane Chamberlain **
6. Tuesday's with Morrie by Mitch Albom **
7. Scream free Parenting by Hal Runkel **
8. The Secret Life of CeeCee Wilkes by Diane Chamberlain **
9. The Good Father by Diane Chamberlain **
10. Is Everyone Hanging Out with me by Mindy Kaling
11. The World We Found by Thrity Umrigar**
12. Divergent by Veronica Roth **
13. Water for Elephants by Sara Gruen
14. The Spellman Files #1 by Lisa Lutz **
15. The Paris Wife by Paula McLain **
16. I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith
17. The Bay at Midnight by Diane Chamberlain **
18. House Rules by Jodi Picoult
And just today 19. Before the Storm by Diane Chamberlain **

I enjoy seeing everyone's lists...if you have good book club suggestions, let me know!

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments Oops forgot 1...20. The Midwife's Confession by Diane Chamberlain ** (my favorite book of hers!)

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 21. The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey **

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 22. The Tenth Circle by Jodi Picoult (audiobook)

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 23. Insurgent by Veronica Roth

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 24. The Sun Also Rises by Ernest Hemingway

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 25. Bel canto by Ann Patchett. I was mesmerized by the beginning and the opening dramatic kiss and everyone's infatuation with the opera singer, but it didn't quite live up to the high expectations I had from the multitude of rave reviews this book got. 3*

message 8: by Tanya (mom's small victories) (last edited Nov 15, 2012 07:22PM) (new)

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 26. Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close ** (audiobook) I thought this book would be depressing as it centers around a boy whose dad dies in the 9/11 attack on the World Trade Center. I was pleasantly surprised to find that the boy, Oscar, is quirky, highly intelligent and mature for aboy his age and quite endearing. Oscar finds a key in his dad's closet and has to find what it opens. This book is one of my favorites. 4*

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 27. Secrets She Left Behind by Diane Chamberlain. My favorite author and the second book in the Before the Storm series. Diane has a way of captivating my attention and I cannot put her books down. Keith was the victim in the fire from the Before the Storm story. He is just shy of turning 18 and is trying to recover from his painful injuries when his mother vanishes. The one family he wants to avoid may be the only ones who can truly help him. Another great, easy suspenseful story from Diane Chamberlain. 4*

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 28. The History of Love by Nicole Krauss (audiobook). A story about how one couples love can impact so many lives. 3*

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 29. The alchemist (secrets of th immortal Nicholas Flamel, #1) by Michael Scott. This was a recommendation from my bookworm of a son who just finished this series and thought I would enjoy it. I will give it to the kid, he was right. A story of two twins who find themselves in the midst of a magical battle between the immortal Nicholas Flamel and his wayward apprentice Dr. John Dee. Full of action, magic and end of the world mayhem...a lot can happen in the 2 days that the book covers. I look forward to the rest of the series.

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 30. Gone Girl by Gillian Flynn. Love. betrayal. Revenge. Infidelity. This book covers all the drama. Amy and Nick seem to have it all, until they don't. By their fifth anniversary, their love is replaced by resentment and Amy mysteriously vanishes. Uncovering the truth about what happened to Amy proves difficult, especially for her cheating, ladies man of a husband Nick. The public assumes he's guilty of murder although the cops haven't found here body.

This story threw me for a loop. It's so true how the media tries the case in the public eye and nowadays with all the social media outlets, it'd be hard for a juror to be completely objective once it's been reported. Nick and Amy have a tumultuous relationship when thy move to the suburbs, they are anything but your average married couple. Great book, one of my favorites, very suspenseful, crafty and clever characters. 5*

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 31. Persuasion by Jane Austen. Loved the comedy and romance of this classic piece of literature. Prominent themes are still relevant today, expected roles of mothers vs. fathers, the sacrifice of military families, and forbidden love. I empathized with Anne while I found her family's antics infuriating. I loved the beginning and the end, it dragged a little in the middle but is now one of my favorite classics. 5*

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 32. Finsh what you Start by Craig Copeland. Self help, non-fiction, touchy feely stuff. Would be very helpful if you are trying to achieve life changing goals. Not exactly what I was after. See my page for full review. 3*

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 33. Unenchanted by Chandra Hahn. Gotta admit I was enchanted by this YA tale of fairy tales coming to life. Its a light, fun, entertaining little thrill ride. 5*

Tanya (mom's small victories) (momssmallvictories) | 22 comments 34. The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Diaz. This book both ticked me off with its weak main character and unnecessary profanity and details about sex but I was intrigued by the mothers story and the turmoil and terror that people endured in the Dominican Republic under a merciless dictator. See my page for full review, this one had me conflicted. 3* though overall.

unread topics | mark unread