The Sword and Laser discussion

S&L Info Beam!

Comments (showing 1-50 of 63) (63 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (last edited Aug 21, 2014 08:56AM) (new)

Veronica Belmont (veronicabelmont) | 1169 comments Mod
Hey! So we're working on a new monthly newsletter. If you want to get a head start and sign up early, here's the link!

http://eepurl.com/oLKwL

UPDATE: We're not using that platform anymore! Sign up here:
http://swordandlaser.com/infobeam/

message 2: by Skip (new)

Skip | 508 comments Signed up and ready to go. Waiting for my laser-sword of newsiness.

message 3: by Gord (new)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments Would sign up, but I don't have a zip code, I have a postal code. It won't accept it.

message 4: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 160 comments I tried signing up but it wont accept my postcode - Im in england - the newsletters anti british ?! *sniffles* :P

message 5: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1577 comments Jane wrote: "I tried signing up but it wont accept my postcode - Im in england - the newsletters anti british ?! *sniffles* :P"

I just kept punching in different numbers and it took.

message 6: by Gord (new)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments I may be unique in all the internet, but I don't like lying on forms, especially to T&V. :)

Joe Informatico (joeinformatico) | 779 comments Hmm, zipcode is "so we can invite you to events". Does this mean events outside of the US are unlikely in the foreseeable future?

Buffalo's the closest border town to me, I'll use that.

message 8: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1577 comments Gord wrote: "I may be unique in all the internet, but I don't like lying on forms, especially to T&V. :)"

The form in this case couldn't handle the truth.

message 9: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 160 comments Gord wrote: "I may be unique in all the internet, but I don't like lying on forms, especially to T&V. :)"

Im with you gord! and just cos it makes me nervous!

message 10: by Belen (new)

Belen (Belu) | 27 comments I'm not from the US either, but what about not filling the zipcode? it isn't required to subscribe.

message 11: by Kate (new)

Kate O'Hanlon (kateohanlon) | 778 comments Yeah, leaving it blank works.

message 12: by Gord (new)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments Well, I feel foolish. LastPass filled in my postal code automatically and it didn't even occur to me to just delete it. That works. :)

message 13: by Aloha (new)

Aloha | 919 comments I signed up. Thanks!

message 14: by David Sven (new)

David Sven (Gorro) | 1577 comments Kate wrote: "Yeah, leaving it blank works."

Doh! The form lied to me!!!

message 15: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3064 comments Nifty! I signed up. I like that the form worked well on an iPad. Bonus points for that.

message 16: by Alex (new)

Alex | 56 comments Signed up! =]

message 17: by Kris (new)

Kris (KVolk) | 796 comments Signed up and waiting for news etc to fill my in box!

message 18: by [deleted user] (new)

Signed up.

message 19: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Yeah everyone, leaving the zipcode blank works fine. No need for lies!

message 20: by Jerad (new)

Jerad Copeland (DiscoFountain) | 2 comments Am I the only one with a zipcode?

message 21: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (Sandikal) | 1178 comments Jerad wrote: "Am I the only one with a zipcode?"

Nope. I have a zip code too.

message 22: by Sean (new)

Sean O'Hara (SeanOHara) | 1898 comments Veronica wrote: "Yeah everyone, leaving the zipcode blank works fine. No need for lies!"

What if I like to lie?

message 23: by Jerad (new)

Jerad Copeland (DiscoFountain) | 2 comments Jerad wrote: "Am I the only one with a zipcode?"
that was a rhetorical joke question.

message 24: by Jane (new)

Jane Higginson | 160 comments woot signed up! *happy dances* :P

message 25: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments This sounds fun!
It made me wonder though... Could there ever be a successful Sword and Laser magazine? Would there be enough readers and contributors to make it a wise venture? Or perhaps this is the root of the root of the S&L Info Beam?

message 26: by Tom, Supreme Laser (new)

Tom Merritt (tommerritt) | 767 comments Mod
Lying is fine with us. I told V to include the zip code on a whim. It was my sense of postal whimsy. Also my demonic plans to drop leaflets over your zip code. I need to know how many to print.

message 27: by Tj (new)

Tj Kendon | 3 comments I'm weirded out that the form is actually not evil. I'm also glad (I guess) that us non-USians will not be exposed to Tom's demonic leaflets.

message 28: by Casey (new)

Casey Hampton (caseyhampton) | 652 comments I was actually looking forward to leaflets falling from above.
Kind of disappointed now...

message 29: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

Tj wrote: "I'm weirded out that the form is actually not evil. I'm also glad (I guess) that us non-USians will not be exposed to Tom's demonic leaflets."

You can still get this is you don't live in the US! Just don't fill out the zipcode part!

message 30: by Peter (new)

Peter | 142 comments signed up

message 31: by Tj (new)

Tj Kendon | 3 comments Veronica wrote: You can still get this is you don't live in the US! Just don't fill out the zipcode part!"

I figured that out. Most people just leave all the "required fields" on and you guys are awesome for doing the right things.

message 32: by Alex (new)

Alex Ristea (alexristea) | 653 comments If there is a disproportionate amount of people living in 90210, it's probably because it's the only ZIP code we know how to fake.

message 33: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments Awesome. I'll subscribe when I get off work.

message 34: by aldenoneil (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments Alex wrote: "If there is a disproportionate amount of people living in 90210, it's probably because it's the only ZIP code we know how to fake."

I worked for a songwriter who lived in the 90210 zip code. I was required to grow sideburns and show up every day in stonewashed jeans.

message 35: by terpkristin (new)

terpkristin | 3064 comments aldenoneil wrote: "I worked for a songwriter who lived in the 90210 zip code. I was required to grow sideburns and show up every day in stonewashed jeans. "

I've never met you in person but a) I feel like this doesn't surprise me coming from you and b) it's a good thing we're all birds of a feather here. ;) (and I guess c) you've been around forever, too, so us old timers gotta stick together)

message 36: by aldenoneil (last edited Sep 14, 2012 07:18PM) (new)

aldenoneil | 1000 comments I know. I couldn't quit this club if I tried.

message 37: by Micah (new)

Micah (onemorebaker) | 1071 comments terpkristin wrote: "I've never met you in person but a) I feel like this doesn't surprise me coming from you and b) it's a good thing we're all birds of a feather here. ;) (and I guess c) you've been around forever, too, so us old timers gotta stick together) ."

+1

message 38: by Noomninam (new)

Noomninam | 90 comments Alex wrote: "If there is a disproportionate amount of people living in 90210, it's probably because it's the only ZIP code we know how to fake."

No problem. I used a postal code that is apparently in the middle of Wembley Stadium in order to buy an ebook that isn't licensed for the US!

message 39: by John (new)

John Bullock (beagrie) | 120 comments It said the zip code field was optional; I just left it blank.

message 40: by Jonathan (new)

Jonathan | 185 comments And subscribed. Took longer than expected due to schedule explosion.

message 41: by John (new)

John (Agni4lisva) | 41 comments Subscribed, and did anyone notice that the postal address for S&L is the TWiT brickhouse in Petaluma?

message 42: by Gord (new)

Gord McLeod (mcleodg) | 345 comments It's also Pixel Corps, the studio where they film the video show, IIRC.

message 43: by Andre (new)

Andre Martinez (Belthazarus) | 1 comments Subscribed. Very excited!

message 44: by Joshua (new)

Joshua Black (b1gBLACK) | 19 comments Count me in!

message 45: by Rob (new)

Rob Habaradas (yupeh) | 13 comments Signed-up, Subscribed - whatever you want to call it! :D

message 46: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (Travellingfair) | 1 comments Signed up.

message 47: by Veronica, Supreme Sword (new)

For those who have received the Info Beam, what would you like to see added? Changed? Etc?

message 48: by Rob, S&L Forum Mod (new)

Rob (robzak) | 3217 comments Mod
I think it is fine as is.

But some possibilities could be:

1) links to the author's good read/web page
2) good reads links to any books they/you mention on the shows mention so you can easily add them to your bookshelf.

I know you often have links to stuff in the show notes on your website though, so it might be overkill.

message 49: by Robert (new)

Robert Stubbs | 23 comments I have signed up and eagerly await my first shipment of World Domination Guides and Gear. Darn it I got you guys mixed up with My Benevolent Overlord of Planetary Domination mailing list. I mean I eagerly await information about books and podcasts..

message 50: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Ashby | 108 comments Just got back from a three week business trip to China, for the first time Goodreads was blocked there! I wonder how it fell under the intense gaze of the Chinese government censors. (Think eye of Sauron)

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread